Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,577 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (185728 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by starboy2015: 6:15am On Jul 29, 2016
when did u i20 arrive ?? i thought you said u went to embassy may 19 ..and embassy told u to bring new i20..i think it shouldnt take much time for your school to send your i20...why is is that you are now rushing now..? when did the i20 get to you and cant u book to lagos there should still be available date next wee..then u take the paper they gave u along ...
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Square65: 6:15am On Jul 29, 2016
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by MizTyna(f): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2016
Hello Abujaniv! I'm interested in going to the US for an associate degree in nursing or certificate in medical/Nursing assistant. I'm partial to Texas. I have someone helping out with the process but I'll like to have more info on very affordable schools. I was also told that I'll have to apply to atleast two schools to qualify for F1 visa,how true is this pls? Seeing as the application fees for both are almost $150. Also,I have a 5year old daughter I'll like to go with. Will it be possible or it will affect my visa application adversely? Finally,do I need to write TOEFL or IELTS if it is just a certificate course?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by koczee: 3:15pm On Jul 29, 2016
Hello VO,
Good day! Please my brother had his F-1 visa interview on the 23rd of July,2016. Visa was approved and he was asked to pick up at DHL office in 2 business days but until now his visa is not ready. Please what would be the problem for the delay?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
Neutralwale:
Hello VO.... Pls can I fill a new DS160 form if am reapplying for a student visa after been denied at the first interview.....

Hello Neutralwale -

You will need to do a new application to reapply.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
1acre:
Thanks Team, You are the best. Learning a lot from here.

Please can a couple with 2 kids apply for a student visa... both want to pursue their masters ... ?

Regards,

Hello 1acre,

Both will need I20s from accredited schools to pursue a Master's. Marital status and children do not have any influence on a student visa application.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2016
mikeano:
Good day house,

I went for my F1 visa in Dubai UAE today but i was denied. I did it in UAE because it is where i reside. I was asked to pass my Passport, I-20, and SEVIS payment confirmation page. Afterwards the following questions emerged:

Why did you choose your school?
I told him that after an extensive research using braintrack.com and SOPHAS, I discovered that the school has a good ranking in the area i wish to study and I also discovered that the some of the faculty were carrying out research work that are closely related to the areas i wish to practice in after studies. I explained the schools involvement with the community in their research work which provides students of real-world experience they would need after studies.

Did you apply to other schools and how many admittted you?
I told him I applied to four schools and two of them admitted me.

How will you support your education?
I told him my sponsors and gave him the bank statements and letters of acknowledgement by the two (one is a friend-american citizen and my brother-in-law).

What have you done after studies?
I told him that i did my one year compulsory NYSC and them moved back to Enugu to work in a private laboratory (stating my duties).

(He then cuts in)... why did you move to the UAE?
I told him I was offered a job by my company and then i had to move.

at this point he said sorry you have no enough ties to show you will leave the States after studies.... bla bla bla

So what home ties do you think I should present if I have to reapply? Do you also think my friend who is ever ready to sponsor me is a problem? Or should i come back to nigeria to apply? I need your advise as i may be re-applying later in the week.

Thank you.

Hello 1acre,

We cannot comment on individual cases, especially ones from another Consular district. The bar is probably higher for a third country nationals (you, a Nigerian living in Dubai) than it is for someone with UAE citizenship.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:22pm On Aug 01, 2016
MizTyna:
Hello Abujaniv! I'm interested in going to the US for an associate degree in nursing or certificate in medical/Nursing assistant. I'm partial to Texas. I have someone helping out with the process but I'll like to have more info on very affordable schools. I was also told that I'll have to apply to atleast two schools to qualify for F1 visa,how true is this pls? Seeing as the application fees for both are almost $150. Also,I have a 5year old daughter I'll like to go with. Will it be possible or it will affect my visa application adversely? Finally,do I need to write TOEFL or IELTS if it is just a certificate course?

Hello MizTyna -

There are no hard and fast rules about how many schools you apply to or what tests you take as many schools have different entrance requirements. You will need to prove you are a credible and qualified student and that you can clearly explain why you chose the school and program you did and how it will further your career goals. You can bring your daughter on an F2 if you are granted the visa (you must get the F2 for her from the school).

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
koczee:
Hello VO,
Good day! Please my brother had his F-1 visa interview on the 23rd of July,2016. Visa was approved and he was asked to pick up at DHL office in 2 business days but until now his visa is not ready. Please what would be the problem for the delay?

Hello koczee,

You can email lagosniv@state.gov to inquire about your specific case.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OTUNBACODED: 2:39pm On Aug 01, 2016
Dear vo,

Thank you for your response to questions. How do a f-2 status spouse of a student on F-1 visa attend school is she so much decide to further her study?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 12:55pm On Aug 02, 2016
OTUNBACODED:
Dear vo,

Thank you for your response to questions. How do a f-2 status spouse of a student on F-1 visa attend school is she so much decide to further her study?

Thanks

Hello OTUNBACODED -

An F2 spouse cannot attend school unless they get their own F1 and I20.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Neutralwale: 11:48pm On Aug 03, 2016
Hello VO, I had a student visa interview but was denied the visa and the school is just some days to resume academic session and couldn't also get a new interview date before resumption..... Pls what will I do to get the school informed and probably help me defer my addmision and prepare my self for another interview...thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by parasi(m): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2016
Hello house,
I have been a silent follower of this trend for 3 weeks now.I appreciate the wonderful work you guys are doing.you guys are just like one very big family.Please do keep it up.Actually i was preparing to post my visa approval testimony, but that was no longer the case because i was denied yesterday 3rd august 2016. This is exactly how the interview went.
vo: good morning sir
me: good morning sir
vo: can i have your passport,DS 160, i 20 please
me: i give
vo: what school do you apply to ?
me: prairie view A & M university Texas
vo: what course do you applied for?
me: masters in accounting
vo: what course do study at you first degree
me: Agric economics management and extension
vo: why are you changing now?
me:i have always been passionate about studying accounting and also since i graduated i have been working as an account officer for a company,so i have all the practical experience.
vo: do you have any person in US
me: no
vo ; am sorry you are not eligible you can reapply again and gave me a paper that state that am not eligible because of 214 b

please i will appreciate your help and correction so that i will identify where i went wrong and reapply. Because time is no longer on my side,for school will start on 12 august while class will start on 22 august.Also am thinking of refilling of new DS 160 so that i will include my ICAN result,although am yet to have ICAN certificate but i have the result of the second stage that i pass.thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:57am On Aug 04, 2016
Neutralwale:
Hello VO, I had a student visa interview but was denied the visa and the school is just some days to resume academic session and couldn't also get a new interview date before resumption..... Pls what will I do to get the school informed and probably help me defer my addmision and prepare my self for another interview...thanks

Hello Neutralwale -

You can reapply, but you will need to be able to discuss your plan for starting the semester late or if you plan to defer admission, your I2O needs to change to reflect the new start date. Your SEVIS is good for 12 months.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 12:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
parasi:
Hello house,
I have been a silent follower of this trend for 3 weeks now.I appreciate the wonderful work you guys are doing.you guys are just like one very big family.Please do keep it up.Actually i was preparing to post my visa approval testimony, but that was no longer the case because i was denied yesterday 3rd august 2016. This is exactly how the interview went.
vo: good morning sir
me: good morning sir
vo: can i have your passport,DS 160, i 20 please
me: i give
vo: what school do you apply to ?
me: prairie view A & M university Texas
vo: what course do you applied for?
me: masters in accounting
vo: what course do study at you first degree
me: Agric economics management and extension
vo: why are you changing now?
me:i have always been passionate about studying accounting and also since i graduated i have been working as an account officer for a company,so i have all the practical experience.
vo: do you have any person in US
me: no
vo ; am sorry you are not eligible you can reapply again and gave me a paper that state that am not eligible because of 214 b

please i will appreciate your help and correction so that i will identify where i went wrong and reapply. Because time is no longer on my side,for school will start on 12 august while class will start on 22 august.Also am thinking of refilling of new DS 160 so that i will include my ICAN result,although am yet to have ICAN certificate but i have the result of the second stage that i pass.thanks

Hello parasi -

We cannot comment on individual cases. You are welcome to reapply. Master's level students are expected to speak very detailed about their study plans and their career goals - you can always reapply, but be prepared to be able to discuss your plan for starting the semester late or if you plan to defer admission, your I2O needs to change to reflect the new start date. Your SEVIS is good for 12 months.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by omolade21: 1:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
Hello AbujaNIV. Pls I need help with clarification on these issues of mine. I was supposed to be interviewed on the 7th of July this year at the American embassy in Lagos. On getting there 'twas discovered that I haven't filled my DS-160 form, but I was able to book an appointment with my email as my username instead of the correct name on my Intl.Passport. My issues here is, the mistake of my name has been rectified, I tried rebooking using the same Reciept I used in paying since I was told by the official that I can still use the Reciept in booking a appointment. The Reciept is being rejected. Am I to pay a new fee and fill a new form or what's the way out? Looking forward to your warmly response. Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:13am On Aug 08, 2016
omolade21:
Hello AbujaNIV. Pls I need help with clarification on these issues of mine. I was supposed to be interviewed on the 7th of July this year at the American embassy in Lagos. On getting there 'twas discovered that I haven't filled my DS-160 form, but I was able to book an appointment with my email as my username instead of the correct name on my Intl.Passport. My issues here is, the mistake of my name has been rectified, I tried rebooking using the same Reciept I used in paying since I was told by the official that I can still use the Reciept in booking a appointment. The Reciept is being rejected. Am I to pay a new fee and fill a new form or what's the way out? Looking forward to your warmly response. Thanks

Hello omolade21 -

Everything must match - so if you changed your name from your first DS160 application, that may be the problem. However, we do not handle the scheduling, so please contact CGI Nigeria to work with them to reschedule your appointment.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elkiddo: 8:47am On Aug 08, 2016
Hello all. Please who has any idea of how to pay the SEVIS fee. Also I need an idea of what to expect at the visa interview
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elkiddo: 8:47am On Aug 08, 2016
Hello all. Please who has any idea of how to pay the SEVIS fee. Also I need an idea of what to expect at the visa interview. Thanks in advance for ur quick responses.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:13am On Aug 09, 2016
elkiddo:
Hello all. Please who has any idea of how to pay the SEVIS fee. Also I need an idea of what to expect at the visa interview. Thanks in advance for ur quick responses.

Hello elkiddo -

Here is some information on paying the SEVIS fee - https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901. For the interview expect to prove to the officer that you are a credible and qualified student that can easily explain your career goals, why you chose the school and the program of study and how it is a good fit for you. You will need to be able to answer in clear and concise responses - do not use a speech or speak in generalities about the school - be detailed and specific.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by blossomfarm: 4:46pm On Aug 09, 2016
hello niv, graduated in 2013 nd studied bus admin. my interview comes up shortly . going to the community college of baltimore county for an associate degree in registered nursing. want you to help with posible questions ad answers. thanks God bless
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:11am On Aug 10, 2016
blossomfarm:
hello niv, graduated in 2013 nd studied bus admin. my interview comes up shortly . going to the community college of baltimore county for an associate degree in registered nursing. want you to help with posible questions ad answers. thanks God bless

Hello blossomfarm,

I will give the same response that we give to every potential student. You will need to prove to the officer that you are a credible and qualified student and can easily explain why you want to study nursing and what your career goals are, why you chose that school instead of a BSc and how it is a good fit for you. You will need to be able to answer in clear and concise responses - do not use a speech or speak in generalities about the school - be detailed and specific.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Handsomebrown: 7:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
Gooday student visa team, I want to ask if I can apply for a student visa with just S.S.C.E results in other to start as an undergraduate. Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elektra(f): 9:16pm On Aug 10, 2016
hello abujaniv,

I have been in the US for 2 years doing my Masters degree. I transferred my credits into a PhD program which I start this fall (The PhD program is in the same school). My visa expires this month but my new I-20 (which was printed to reflect the change of educational level) is still valid. I will be visiting Nigeria at the end of the year and I know I will have to apply for a new visa. Can you answer some of my questions concerning that?

1. Do I need to go through the same process as I did when I applied for the first visa? or is the process different?
2. My international student advisor is a little worried about me not getting the visa and being stranded in Nigeria because the initial visa was granted for a masters degree and since I did not complete the degree but instead transitioned into the PhD program I may seem shady to the interviewers. Is this something I have to worry about?
3. My international student advisor suggested that I renew my visa in Canada before traveling, but I am afraid to do so because I plan to get a new passport in Nigeria, the reason is that my passport expires in May 2017 and getting a new passport in the US is so stressful. I am worried because the new visa will be on the older/expired passport, can I still use the visa on the expired passport?

Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:03am On Aug 11, 2016
Handsomebrown:
Gooday student visa team, I want to ask if I can apply for a student visa with just S.S.C.E results in other to start as an undergraduate. Thanks

Hello Handsomebrown -

The only way to apply for a student visa is to have been accepted into a SEVIS approved institution for higher learning. It is the student's responsibility to find a school that is the best fit for them based on their future goals and educational background.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:08am On Aug 11, 2016
elektra:
hello abujaniv,

I have been in the US for 2 years doing my Masters degree. I transferred my credits into a PhD program which I start this fall (The PhD program is in the same school). My visa expires this month but my new I-20 (which was printed to reflect the change of educational level) is still valid. I will be visiting Nigeria at the end of the year and I know I will have to apply for a new visa. Can you answer some of my questions concerning that?

1. Do I need to go through the same process as I did when I applied for the first visa? or is the process different?
2. My international student advisor is a little worried about me not getting the visa and being stranded in Nigeria because the initial visa was granted for a masters degree and since I did not complete the degree but instead transitioned into the PhD program I may seem shady to the interviewers. Is this something I have to worry about?
3. My international student advisor suggested that I renew my visa in Canada before traveling, but I am afraid to do so because I plan to get a new passport in Nigeria, the reason is that my passport expires in May 2017 and getting a new passport in the US is so stressful. I am worried because the new visa will be on the older/expired passport, can I still use the visa on the expired passport?

Thank you

Hello elektra -

You have a few options. Many people travel with two passports, the old one that is expired but still has a valid visa and the new one that is current. If you are coming to Nigeria for leave, you can use the Dropbox renewal program - you just include your new I20 and your transcripts with the application and it is adjudicated without an in-person interview. Sometimes applicants find it difficult to get new visas in other countries beside their home of residence (in your case Nigeria). The change in status is not a problem at all as long as your I20 reflects it.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elektra(f): 9:41pm On Aug 11, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello elektra -

You have a few options. Many people travel with two passports, the old one that is expired but still has a valid visa and the new one that is current. If you are coming to Nigeria for leave, you can use the Dropbox renewal program - you just include your new I20 and your transcripts with the application and it is adjudicated without an in-person interview. Sometimes applicants find it difficult to get new visas in other countries beside their home of residence (in your case Nigeria). The change in status is not a problem at all as long as your I20 reflects it.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

Thank you for your response.
I am now convinced that the best option for me is to apply for the visa via the Dropbox renewal program. I have some concerns about it though

1. Does the program mandate that my passport be submitted more than 6 months prior to its expiration? I am asking because my current passport expires 17th May, 2017, I will be in the Nigeria no earlier than 19th Nov, 2016. Can I put in my application with the current passport or do I get a new one?
2. If I have to get a new passport prior to applying will it affect the visa process? I ask because my expired visa will be on the old passport so it may look shady asking for a renewal when there is no evidence of the previous one. Or do I submit both the old and new passport?

Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Princesindy: 11:08pm On Aug 11, 2016
Hello people! I'm happy to be here and hope everyone is doing great? Please may I know the procedure for state/local government sponsored students to obtain their f-1 visa? Do they have to attend interviews individually? And does a government sponsorship/scholarship guarantee visa issuance? I'm just hopeful on getting a scholarship/sponsorship grant approved soon and am curious to know the next steps. Please help me throw more light in this direction. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:09am On Aug 12, 2016
elektra:

Thank you for your response.
I am now convinced that the best option for me is to apply for the visa via the Dropbox renewal program. I have some concerns about it though

1. Does the program mandate that my passport be submitted more than 6 months prior to its expiration? I am asking because my current passport expires 17th May, 2017, I will be in the Nigeria no earlier than 19th Nov, 2016. Can I put in my application with the current passport or do I get a new one?
2. If I have to get a new passport prior to applying will it affect the visa process? I ask because my expired visa will be on the old passport so it may look shady asking for a renewal when there is no evidence of the previous one. Or do I submit both the old and new passport?

Thank you

Hello elektra -

There is no requirement for a certain amount of time left on your old passport IF you get a new one. Simply attach them with a rubberband and drop both of them off (the old one with the visa and the new one) with your DS160, your transcripts and your I20. Your passport must have at least 6 months of validity to travel to the U.S. - which means that if you travel here in December, you must get a new passport for your next visa application.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:12am On Aug 12, 2016
Princesindy:
Hello people! I'm happy to be here and hope everyone is doing great? Please may I know the procedure for state/local government sponsored students to obtain their f-1 visa? Do they have to attend interviews individually? And does a government sponsorship/scholarship guarantee visa issuance? I'm just hopeful on getting a scholarship/sponsorship grant approved soon and am curious to know the next steps. Please help me throw more light in this direction. Thanks.

Hello Princesindy -

There is no guarantee of a visa - each student, regardless of who is financing the program (parents, sports scholarship, academic scholarship or even state or local governments) must prove that they are credible and qualified students. All students interview individually, unless they have dependents they plan on traveling with as well. The visa process is the same - you need to prove to the officer that you are a credible and qualified student and can easily explain why you want to study the program you selected and what your career goals are, why you chose that school instead and how it is a good fit for you. You will need to be able to answer in clear and concise responses - do not use a speech or speak in generalities about the school - be detailed and specific.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Princesindy: 11:24pm On Aug 15, 2016
Hello, Thanks for your response to my previous post. Please how true is it that writing standardized tests like SAT and TOEFL improves ones' chances of getting a visa for undergraduate students?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries ***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.