Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

It Has Been A While - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / It Has Been A While (2652 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 6:19am On Mar 16, 2016
Time: 05:49 am

After hours of trying to fall asleep, I lay there, listening to the faint Somali Qarami music in the background, whilst breathing in the cold air.
I turn towards the bedside drawers to change the song playing via the IPod.

Evidently, I won't be getting any sleep this time either.

Just as I changed the song, the Kaban intro of Ma Jinba by Maandeeq starts and I remember Nairaland and a humorous exchange I once had with @EnlightenedSoul. I can't help but smile as I recall our discussion regarding Fourshit, Ahmed Najis (joke tongue ) and our parents' favourite artists.

This led me to funny memories of @Ajuran's shenanigans, @Fulaman198's foot fetish, @Adamskutty's hate for Ghanaians and newly invented words such as 'charcant'.
I get up and reach for the laptop. Let me see what Rer Nairaland is up to...

Here I am folks, it has indeed been a long while. How are you all doing?

Maandeeq - Ma Jinba ma Jaanbaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYjr6mzQ2Q

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 9:25am On Mar 16, 2016
ArtanK:

After hours of trying to fall asleep, I lay there, listening to the faint Somali Qarami music in the background, whilst breathing in the cold air.

Just as I changed the song, the Kaban intro of Ma Jinba by Maandeeq starts and I remember Nairaland and a humorous exchange I once had with @EnlightenedSoul. I can't help but smile as I recall our discussion regarding Fourshit, Ahmed Najis (joke tongue ) and our parents' favourite artists.

This led me to funny memories of @Ajuran's shenanigans, @Fulaman198's foot fetish, @Adamskutty's hate for Ghanaians and newly invented words such as 'charcant'.

Good to see you again brother, how have you been. Have you scoped out any beautiful African ladies for me with beautiful feet smiley

How have you been, really long time.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 16, 2016
ArtanK:

shocked shocked shocked

Wowzers, long time no see, Artan! It def has been a long time, but it's great to see ya all the same, walaalkeed. I did miss you. How am I doing? What can I say? Life is one, giant, busy cluttered mess, but it's a good, giant, busy, cluttered mess and I'm happy. How are you, ruunta, and what have you been up to?

Ninka dai', noh grin Fourshit, as you call him, is the legend, like his father before him, and you can't knock a legend! Lolll, if my folks were to hear me say that, they'd call it outright blasphemy - that even legends can, and often do, give rise to runts. Whatever, I say the runt can make it to my playlist if the mood is right. There's a time and place for 'em, "Fourshit" junior inclusive.

Lately, I haven't had the time to wind down and listen to some good Qaraami. You know, it's the type of music you have to wind down to listen to, at least for me, so, regrettably, it's been almost entirely replaced by stuff I listen to when I exercise, or am on the go.

It's good to see you again.

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by adamskutty(m): 11:21am On Mar 16, 2016
Old memories grin
How you doing artank? our noble Mallam Yusuf

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2016
@Fulaman198 How are you bro?
It's funny you mention that btw. There is this Ethiopian lady that lives two doors down from my flat. She's equipped with the shiniest legs I've ever seen and she doesn't hesitate to show them off. Everyone in my apartment block calls her 'diamant beine' which means diamond legs grin Are you ok with legs instead of feet?

@Enlightenedsoul it is great to hear from you again walaalo. I've moved from Cologne/Bonn (a few days before balayo happened in NYE) to Frankfurt because of work and I've been putting in more work for the project I told you about. It is tougher than I thought it would be, but alhamdulillah things is getting better now. You sound a little stressed, hope all is well with you walashey smiley

I know what you mean with winding down for Qarami music. I put it on before I sleep or at least try to. There's something calming about the Kaban, it definitely isn't something you'd listen to when going out for a jog tongue
I must admit that Fourshed was quite good, but the younger one is the Fourshit haha he's just a khasaro with a big name.

Currently listening to Saalax Qaasim - Moog Iyo Jaceyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyqis6GTHWc

Btw Qarami is helping me improve my Somali immensely cheesy

@Adamskutty nothing but blessings mallam Adam. How's life? School? And is your friend Ajuran still here? grin

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 8:40pm On Mar 16, 2016
Fulaman already hiding comments grin who commented there?

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2016
ArtanK:
It's funny you mention that btw. There is this Ethiopian lady that lives two doors down from my flat. She's equipped with the shiniest legs I've ever seen and she doesn't hesitate to show them off. Everyone in my apartment block calls her 'diamant beine' which means diamond legs grin Are you ok with legs instead of feet?

@Enlightenedsoul it is great to hear from you again walaalo. I've moved from Cologne/Bonn (a few days before balayo happened in NYE) to Frankfurt because of work and I've been putting in more work for the project I told you about. It is tougher than I thought it would be, but alhamdulillah things is getting better now. You sound a little stressed, hope all is well with you walashey smiley

I know what you mean with winding down for Qarami music. I put it on before I sleep or at least try to. There's something calming about the Kaban, it definitely isn't something you'd listen to when going out for a jog tongue
I must admit that Fourshed was quite good, but the younger one is the Fourshit haha he's just a khasaro with a big name.

@Adamskutty nothing but blessings mallam Adam. How's life? School? And is your friend Ajuran still here? grin

Legs and Feet are the perfect combination and I have now learned (though I won't tell this to my other African brothers besides you since you understand), that a man's place is beneath a woman. Why haven't you tried talking to this Ethiopian lady? I'm sure she would like you. If I were there, I would probably forget would not even remember how to speak. Shiny legs my gosh, sounds like a Goddess walahi!

If you don't talk to her bro, I'll be upset with you. smiley

With that said, both songs are very beautiful. I don't understand Somali, but I've always loved the Oud and instruments that sound a lot like the Oud. I really love Stringed instruments and the way they are played all over the African Sahel from Senegal to Somalia (and even in Sudan). The first song was really soothing and relaxing. The woman has a very beautiful voice. Bless these African queens!

To answer your second question, it was an offensive comment made towards you, so I hid it.

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 9:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
Artan brother and EnlightenedSoul darling,

What do you guys think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxavSZtSWtY

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 12:08am On Mar 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

Heh, I didn't expect it to be Somali. I recognized the artist's voice almost instantly. How'd you find it?

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 1:25am On Mar 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

Legs and Feet are the perfect combination and I have now learned (though I won't tell this to my other African brothers besides you since you understand), that a man's place is beneath a woman. Why haven't you tried talking to this Ethiopian lady? I'm sure she would like you. If I were there, I would probably forget would not even remember how to speak. Shiny legs my gosh, sounds like a Goddess walahi!

With that said, both songs are very beautiful. I don't understand Somali, but I've always loved the Oud and instruments that sound a lot like the Oud. I really love Stringed instruments and the way they are played all over the African Sahel from Senegal to Somalia (and even in Sudan). The first song was really soothing and relaxing. The woman has a very beautiful voice. Bless these African queens!

To answer your second question, it was an offensive comment made towards you, so I hid it.

Bro I've got to stop you there lol grin grin don't turn into a submissive man because of your foot fetish. I don't flirt with her because not only is she 10 years older than me, but she's also well established and dates guys way above my league lol not gonna embarrass myself. She did welcome me nicely when I first moved in though, the horn African love is still there. We are just good friends and neighbours.

The Oud instrument is amazing when it is played properly. Talking about string instruments, I'm a big fan of Ali Farka Toure, he was a legend in this genre.
The first song is one of my mother's favourite songs of all time.

You should have left the reply, I would have trolled that person. tongue

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 1:26am On Mar 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

It says the video doesn't exist
Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 6:13am On Mar 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Heh, I didn't expect it to be Somali. I recognized the artist's voice almost instantly. How'd you find it?

Google play music recommended it to me based on my current collection of West African Sahelian music. They recommended it to me because I guess it sounds similar to the music I listen to from my region ROFLLL. I was really surprised that Somali music is this similar to some genres of Fulani music, Hausa music, Touareg music and Zarma/Songhai music. Nowadays, I listen to a lot from East Africa, Nubian music from Ali Hassan Kuban, Ethiopian music, Eritrean music and Somali music.

Contrary to what some people think, I think that the Sahel belt has some very close relations despite speaking different languages. Sahel belt being the region that is just south of the Sahara and in the Southern part of the Sahara as well. It's a semi-arid to arid region of Savannah and Desert.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 6:20am On Mar 17, 2016
ArtanK:

Bro I've got to stop you there lol grin grin don't turn into a submissive man because of your foot fetish. I don't flirt with her because not only is she 10 years older than me, but she's also well established and dates guys way above my league lol not gonna embarrass myself. She did welcome me nicely when I first moved in though, the horn African love is still there. We are just good friends and neighbours.

The Oud instrument is amazing when it is played properly. Talking about string instruments, I'm a big fan of Ali Farka Toure, he was a legend in this genre.
The first song is one of my mother's favourite songs of all time.

You should have left the reply, I would have trolled that person. tongue

It's hard man not be somewhat submissive when the African continent has so many beautiful women gosh!!!!!! Of course in person I pretend not to be submissive to beautiful women, but deep down I just want to worship them. In any case, I must stop now.

There is nothing wrong flirting with an older woman bro. In fact, I think you will gain knowledge and wisdom from her. Also, don't sell yourself short. Guys leagues above you? What makes them leagues above you? Their salary? Know that someday you will surpass them and possibly even earn more than them.

All you have to do one day, is bring her some very nice Somali cuisine, maybe some very nicely cooked sauteed Goat meat, with a nice sweet rice, bring some Fanta or orange juice (I assume you don't drink I don't as well), and bring her some Horn seductive music. Have a seat with her (not too close at first though), dress well, buttoned shirt, perhaps some decent pants and start a conversation with her. Make sure you smile a lot, and show her your charm. You have to know how to be romantic with women bro (although I am the last person to ask for advice on this sort of thing because when I start talking to women sometimes I forget how to speak English if she's extremely attractive and start muttering some stuff in Fulfulde).

Ali Farka Toure is one of my favourite musicians and like you said, in this genre of desert music, he's amazing. But there are so many amazing artists in this Sahel genre from West to East Africa. This song for example is from West Africa, but similar style let me know what you think. I"m surprised you couldn't hear that Shubahada Somali song. It's become one of my faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmMHJ6IBD4

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 6:22am On Mar 17, 2016
This is an old Hausa song for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWLldaq3ic

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 17, 2016
ArtanK:

Nah, I'm doing great, walaal. I'm not stressed per se, just a lot on my mind. 'Sides, you know I like busy. I'm actually even less so than usual now due to SB and working shorter hours. I recently came back from a mini respite from everything, so I really can't complain. I've made a move myself, but it's in-state. I can't wait to move outta this state, wallahi, but that'll just have to wait a couple years. Def glad your project is working out for you. When r u set as of now?

I tell ya, from my experience in Misr, I legit predicted the NYE thing long before we heard tell of it on the news.

Anyway, remember how I told you long ago that I'd never heard your name before, ever? Well, I met someone named Artan for the first time a couple months ago at a wedding he was attending from out of state. He'd never heard my name before, either, lol. I got the occasional, "You mean, Mariam?", I sometimes get from some folks.

Somali is actually harder for me to comprehend when sung, lol. They don't use "normal" words in songs, do they? Or is it just me? Wallahi, I'll go whole songs catching only a few words here and there sometimes.

Anyway, someone introduced me to this cover not too long ago. I quite like it. You might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDx-pRmd1H8

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 17, 2016
Fulaman198:

I was gonna ask that after he mentioned her. Artan, you should try anyway grin

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

I was gonna ask that after he mentioned her. Artan, you should try anyway grin

He most definitely should.
Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 8:39am On Mar 18, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

Nah, I'm doing great, walaal. I'm not stressed per se, just a lot on my mind. 'Sides, you know I like busy. I'm actually even less so than usual now due to SB and working shorter hours. I recently came back from a mini respite from everything, so I really can't complain. I've made a move myself, but it's in-state. I can't wait to move outta this state, wallahi, but that'll just have to wait a couple years. Def glad your project is working out for you. When r u set as of now?

I tell ya, from my experience in Misr, I legit predicted the NYE thing long before we heard tell of it on the news.

Anyway, remember how I told you long ago that I'd never heard your name before, ever? Well, I met someone named Artan for the first time a couple months ago at a wedding he was attending from out of state. He'd never heard my name before, either, lol. I got the occasional, "You mean, Mariam?", I sometimes get from some folks.

Somali is actually harder for me to comprehend when sung, lol. They don't use "normal" words in songs, do they? Or is it just me? Wallahi, I'll go whole songs catching only a few words here and there sometimes.

Anyway, someone introduced me to this cover not too long ago. I quite like it. You might.

That was a great song Enlightened

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 18, 2016
Fulaman198:

That was a great song Enlightened
Fulaman198:

He most definitely should.

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by adamskutty(m): 11:36pm On Mar 18, 2016
@artank i am doing fine and studies is going quite well. Where have you been? I am not into this forum like i used too, i find it boring nowadays, gone are those days of e-fight.
As for Ajuran, i heard he was here the past week(s) with a different identity, i don't have his time cos i believe he has matured by now. grin

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 5:02am On Mar 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

It's hard man not be somewhat submissive when the African continent has so many beautiful women gosh!!!!!! Of course in person I pretend not to be submissive to beautiful women, but deep down I just want to worship them. In any case, I must stop now.

There is nothing wrong flirting with an older woman bro. In fact, I think you will gain knowledge and wisdom from her. Also, don't sell yourself short. Guys leagues above you? What makes them leagues above you? Their salary? Know that someday you will surpass them and possibly even earn more than them.

All you have to do one day, is bring her some very nice Somali cuisine, maybe some very nicely cooked sauteed Goat meat, with a nice sweet rice, bring some Fanta or orange juice (I assume you don't drink I don't as well), and bring her some Horn seductive music. Have a seat with her (not too close at first though), dress well, buttoned shirt, perhaps some decent pants and start a conversation with her. Make sure you smile a lot, and show her your charm. You have to know how to be romantic with women bro (although I am the last person to ask for advice on this sort of thing because when I start talking to women sometimes I forget how to speak English if she's extremely attractive and start muttering some stuff in Fulfulde).

Ali Farka Toure is one of my favourite musicians and like you said, in this genre of desert music, he's amazing. But there are so many amazing artists in this Sahel genre from West to East Africa. This song for example is from West Africa, but similar style let me know what you think. I"m surprised you couldn't hear that Shubahada Somali song. It's become one of my faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmMHJ6IBD4

Lmao @ deep down I want to worship them. A bit too much maybe? grin grin

About that lady, you're killing me with that advice LOL I have to be realistic bro. Imagine it backfires on me.. Never mind horn Africans/Africans, we're the only non ethnic Germans in the building. Shitt would get so awkward between us, therefore, I'm gonna stick to women who are on my level. I can't let my Johnny influence my decision-making lool.

That;s a nice song btw, it reminds me of this area in the far north east corner of Somalia. The place was covered in date farms, and the last night I was there, the owners of the farms and the workers invited me to their tent. We had some food, Somali traditional dances, and some guy remastering old Somali classics whilst playing the Oud. Everything was on point and it was by far the best night I had in Somalia.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 5:12am On Mar 19, 2016
Fulaman198:
This is an old Hausa song for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWLldaq3ic

What's that instrument called in Fulani or Hausa? We have a similar instrument in Somalia called Shareero.

Btw is he making dua? I thought I heard Allahu shakuru..
Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 5:50am On Mar 19, 2016
EnlightenedSoul:

That's good to hear walashay smiley
Why do you have to wait two years to move out of state if you don't mind me asking? Studies? How's it going with the leg and the raccoon smell? tongue

The project is officially set to launch in a couple of years. The delay is down to lack of capital so we're working and saving the money we need from our pay. We have been told by potential investors that we won't receive any funding unless we have something to show for it. That's why we're financing it ourselves in the beginning and hoping for future investment from them once it takes off.

The short ones across the sea from us are exactly the same as the ones in Misr. Their brain goes in complete meltdown when they see a woman. It doesn't matter if she's covered or not. I didn't expect they'd go full retard in public though smh.

Artan is a rare name but I understand his surprise lol, I'd never come across your name before I cyber-met you. Remember how I even guessed my way to its meaning? grin

I feel your pain, I used to listen to Somali music because of their eccentric sound at one point. Now I can understand the gist of most verses just by listening more and even looking up the meaning of certain words before singing it.

The song is nice but it sounds like a mix of Somali and Arabic or is it sung in a different dialect? Only the hook sounds proper Somali to me
Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 6:01am On Mar 19, 2016
adamskutty:
@artank i am doing fine and studies is going quite well. Where have you been? I am not into this forum like i used too, i find it boring nowadays, gone are those days of e-fight.
As for Ajuran, i heard he was here the past week(s) with a different identity, i don't have his time cos i believe he has matured by now. grin

That's great bro, you can't entertain fools all your life lol it will get boring at one point tongue
I've been about bro, just been focussing on more pressing stuff.

Ajuran will probably never grow out of this childishness. Pretty sad life for a +30 year old but that's the life he's chosen lol.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 7:54am On Mar 19, 2016
ArtanK:

What's that instrument called in Fulani or Hausa? We have a similar instrument in Somalia called Shareero.

Btw is he making dua? I thought I heard Allahu shakuru..

In Hausa language, that instrument is called the Biram. In Fulfulde (Fulani language), we don't have a word for it. The song is mainly about marriage lol.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 8:08am On Mar 19, 2016
ArtanK:

Lmao @ deep down I want to worship them. A bit too much maybe? grin grin

About that lady, you're killing me with that advice LOL I have to be realistic bro. Imagine it backfires on me.. Never mind horn Africans/Africans, we're the only non ethnic Germans in the building. Shitt would get so awkward between us, therefore, I'm gonna stick to women who are on my level. I can't let my Johnny influence my decision-making lool.

That;s a nice song btw, it reminds me of this area in the far north east corner of Somalia. The place was covered in date farms, and the last night I was there, the owners of the farms and the workers invited me to their tent. We had some food, Somali traditional dances, and some guy remastering old Somali classics whilst playing the Oud. Everything was on point and it was by far the best night I had in Somalia.

African women just completely hypnotise me sometimes with their beauty (regardless of what country they come from), that I often feel that they are just too impressive for women. From their mesmerising skin tone, from light mocha to dark brown, to their beautiful shiny legs and feet and that nice uffff ufff round behind. I should stop I'm getting too far ahead of myself. African women need to know just how beautiful they are. I think sometimes I'm overprotective of African women too lol.

Trust me my brother, she would enjoy the seduction, even if it backfires, just don't sweat it (unless if you see her, then you need to plan a route where you can hide so she doesn't see you and give you awkward looks). But I don't think she will.

From my findings with women here's what attracts them the most:

Physical attributes that I notice women like:

1. Height, women love tall men
2. A guy that dresses well for them
3. A guy who smells good for them (make sure you have your cologne on before you go on a date after you take a shower).
4. A guy who is courteous with them and behaves like a complete gentleman

Now in regards to feelings and what not, I mean like security from a financial point of view, women look for:

1. A man with a nice career (you will get there, what are you studying again?)
2. A man with nice morals, and a fellow who can keep up good conversation

All you have to do my brother is simple. You will have her come to you, not the other way around. You smile when you speak to her, you show some interest by cracking APPROPRIATE JOKES. Talk to her more about the horn and traditional stuff.

There is nothing better than playing some good desert music at night in front of a tent with a good fire burning with a beautiful woman (that's my dream), and spending some time with her. Although most women don't care much for the desert these days and are looking more for luxury, big houses and expensive cars rather than you and her time in a nice and often quiet peaceful desert with tents.

I'm proud of you though brother, despite living in Germany, you are really into your Somali culture. You are not selling it out. You listen to traditional music, you admire traditional dances, etc. etc. Most Africans (Some Nigerian groups especially) would happily sell out their culture for more Westernised culture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 19, 2016
Fulaman198:

African women just completely hypnotise me sometimes with their beauty (regardless of what country they come from), that I often feel that they are just too impressive for women. From their mesmerising skin tone, from light mocha to dark brown, to their beautiful shiny legs and feet and that nice uffff ufff round behind. I should stop I'm getting too far ahead of myself. African women need to know just how beautiful they are. I think sometimes I'm overprotective of African women too lol.

Trust me my brother, she would enjoy the seduction, even if it backfires, just don't sweat it (unless if you see her, then you need to plan a route where you can hide so she doesn't see you and give you awkward looks). But I don't think she will.

From my findings with women here's what attracts them the most:

Physical attributes that I notice women like:

1. Height, women love tall men
2. A guy that dresses well for them
3. A guy who smells good for them (make sure you have your cologne on before you go on a date after you take a shower).
4. A guy who is courteous with them and behaves like a complete gentleman

Now in regards to feelings and what not, I mean like security from a financial point of view, women look for:

1. A man with a nice career (you will get there, what are you studying again?)
2. A man with nice morals, and a fellow who can keep up good conversation

All you have to do my brother is simple. You will have her come to you, not the other way around. You smile when you speak to her, you show some interest by cracking APPROPRIATE JOKES. Talk to her more about the horn and traditional stuff.

There is nothing better than playing some good desert music at night in front of a tent with a good fire burning with a beautiful woman (that's my dream), and spending some time with her. Although most women don't care much for the desert these days and are looking more for luxury, big houses and expensive cars rather than you and her time in a nice and often quiet peaceful desert with tents.

I'm proud of you though brother, despite living in Germany, you are really into your Somali culture. You are not selling it out. You listen to traditional music, you admire traditional dances, etc. etc. Most Africans (Some Nigerian groups especially) would happily sell out their culture for more Westernised culture.
when am ready to look for a wife i will come to you for advice grin cool

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 9:51am On Mar 19, 2016
MuhdG:

when am ready to look for a wife i will come to you for advice grin cool

Lol please do bros I'll be right here.
Re: It Has Been A While by ArtanK(m): 6:00am On Mar 23, 2016
Fulaman198 Lmao bro you should be the moderator of the Romance section, not culture grin grin grin

I'm sorry to burst the bubble after such a thoughtful reply, but I won't ask her out. You can do all of that the day you come to Germany and visit me grin

Bro I wasn't always so interested in my culture/people. In my early teens, I had a major inferiority complex because in Germany unless you are an ethnic-German, you're only German by paper. Despite being born here, there was always something missing. Our teachers boasted about their millennia-long history, their traditions, achievements and etc. whilst the white German kids listened with wide-eyed infatuation and pride. All I saw of my country of origin was war poverty, not knowing that it wasn't always like that. I visited the motherland during those years and just fell in love with everything; songs, dances, culture, the country and history. I came back to Germany and taught my teachers and classmates a lesson or two about the mighty Somali people beyond the days of the civil war cool

2 Likes

Re: It Has Been A While by Fulaman198(m): 2:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
ArtanK:
Fulaman198 Lmao bro you should be the moderator of the Romance section, not culture grin grin grin

I'm sorry to burst the bubble after such a thoughtful reply, but I won't ask her out. You can do all of that the day you come to Germany and visit me grin

Bro I wasn't always so interested in my culture/people. In my early teens, I had a major inferiority complex because in Germany unless you are an ethnic-German, you're only German by paper. Despite being born here, there was always something missing. Our teachers boasted about their millennia-long history, their traditions, achievements and etc. whilst the white German kids listened with wide-eyed infatuation and pride. All I saw of my country of origin was war poverty, not knowing that it wasn't always like that. I visited the motherland during those years and just fell in love with everything; songs, dances, culture, the country and history. I came back to Germany and taught my teachers and classmates a lesson or two about the mighty Somali people beyond the days of the civil war cool

Lol, that's funny about being mod of the romance section instead of culture section. I'll reconsider where I'll mod for in the future and put romance on the top of my list. ROFL nice one bro

The Western world has a way of trying to make Africans feel inferior with brainwashing. I'm glad that you learned so much and educated yourself so that you had enough artillery to put your teachers in their respective places. The African continent has a plethora of bright and great cultures. The people are very happy and free.

It is my opinion that you don't get the same amount of freedom in any other continent. I've lived in the United States before so I wholeheartedly know exactly where you are coming from. Africans should never feel inferior because a lot of Western media (especially U.S. media) is fabricated and made up.

Germany has a lot of issues, I agree. I'm aware of how they treat Turkish people there, so I know exactly how they would treat Somalis.

Always take heart and pride in your culture.

My other piece of advice for you is also know to place yourself beneath the feet of a beautiful woman.

1 Like

Re: It Has Been A While by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2016
ArtanK:

That's good to hear walashay smiley
Why do you have to wait two years to move out of state if you don't mind me asking? Studies? How's it going with the leg and the raccoon smell? tongue

The project is officially set to launch in a couple of years. The delay is down to lack of capital so we're working and saving the money we need from our pay. We have been told by potential investors that we won't receive any funding unless we have something to show for it. That's why we're financing it ourselves in the beginning and hoping for future investment from them once it takes off.

The short ones across the sea from us are exactly the same as the ones in Misr. Their brain goes in complete meltdown when they see a woman. It doesn't matter if she's covered or not. I didn't expect they'd go full retard in public though smh.

Artan is a rare name but I understand his surprise lol, I'd never come across your name before I cyber-met you. Remember how I even guessed my way to its meaning? grin

I feel your pain, I used to listen to Somali music because of their eccentric sound at one point. Now I can understand the gist of most verses just by listening more and even looking up the meaning of certain words before singing it.

The song is nice but it sounds like a mix of Somali and Arabic or is it sung in a different dialect? Only the hook sounds proper Somali to me

Loll. It wasn't a coon, it was a skunk! Yeah...wasn't pretty. I was apprehensive about doing anything remotely of effort for quite a while after it healed, but, thankfully, once I got into the habit of dismissing that crutch mindset, I was set. I even managed to hit the slopes this winter without incident. It was only a run, but hey. I can't wait 'til the weather gets warmer! I'll def force myself up that trail with the MB, this time keeping a lookout for suicidal critters, lol. Guess what, tho? It was taking my leg so long to heal that I found myself trying to do everything humanly possible to speed up the process, which isn't even all that possible, really. But, anyway, even though I was getting all my nutriets through other means, I thought of possibly reintroducing milk, among other things, to my diet, so I placed it in my shopping cart on a whim...bad idea it got me reallyyy SICK. I came to know that I'm lactose intolerant due to having abandoned milk for so many years! After that epi, I can't even stand the sight of it now, ruunta. Guess there's no caanno ghell in my future after all grin

On why I've had to wait, it's something of a long backstory? I need not bore you with it. But I can tell you that I've been trying to leave Podunk since I was 17, and applying to out-of-state colleges and universities, some notable of which I was accepted to, but unable to attend. Wallahi, were I of the superstitious sort, I'd firmly believe at this point that Podunk is forcibly and actively trying to keep me in Podunk forever, loll.

I'm glad to hear the project is still in the works, fam. Regarding preliminary funding, have you ever thought of or tried auuto (sp?)? That would certainly be the proper Somali way to raise funds. I've only recently discovered it's merits and I could tell you that it's def worth the initial hassle.

I 1000% expected it. I have stories for days 'bout the midgets on the other side of Sinai, believe me. Probably enough to fill a book, and certainly more than you'd want to hear. Point blank, Sabre owes my family a stake in their company, or, at the very least, an attractive royalty.

Lol, I didn't realize you were guessing. Whatever, I've always liked my name. Neverminding the try-hard posers that outfit themselves w/ qaames iya nikhab, Islamization has hit us pretty hard in the name dept, eh? Only a few of my family members have legit Somali names. One of my sisters' names is actually of Turkish origin, and it's not some rando name my folks just plucked from out of nowhere, either. We're both named for our grandmothers, and I believe that grandmother of ours was also the namesake of some relative or other herself.

Dialect, but I can recognize much more than the hook? I can tell you that it def isn't Arabic. I'm fluent in that language, tho somewhat regrettably.

I've never tried to look up definitions while listening to music. Frankly, sometimes it's hard to decipher the root word, or try to figure out where one word ends & the other begins. Take this short and seemingly simplistic song, for instance. I can only understand the hook and the parts on Hargeisa and Sool. What on earth is he saying at 00:50. Ista...whaaa? I don't even understand what "gacalo" means, but the context clues tell me it's an endearment, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj1Xvr6K1Rg&app=desktop

PS Happy belated birthday! Your b-day hits a day after my mother and sister's shared b-day shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Tribes That Avoided Modern Civilization / Spectacular Pictures & Gist Of The National Theatre / Throwback Pic Of Late Deji Of Akure & His Sons Students Of Kings College Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.