Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,184 members, 7,780,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:32 AM

EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction (12486 Views)

Jonathan And Ex-Ministers In Cold War Over $2.1bn Arms Scandal / Arms: EFCC May Query Sanusi Over $2.2bn Arms Probe / Okonjo-iweala In Fresh $2.2m Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Islie: 8:28am On Mar 16, 2016
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday arraigned the former Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Dr Femi Thomas, for allegedly carrying out a cash transaction to the tune of $2.2 million without the involvement of any formal financial institution.

He was arraigned alongside one Kabiru Sidi, a Bureau de Change operator, before Justice Saliu Saidu of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

The anti- graft agency which presented a four-count charge against Thomas and Sidi, alleged that the former NHIS boss conspired with his wife at their House 20, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba, to make a cash payment of $2.2 million to one Mr. Ibitoye John Bamidele
According to the EFCC, Sidi lied to an operative of the commission, Afeez Mustapha, that he was the owner of the money.

The prosecutor, Mr. A.B.C. Ozioko, told the court that the offences allegedly committed by the defendants contravened sections 18(2)(b), 1(a) and 39(2)(b) of the EFCC (Establishment) Act 2004.

According to him, the defendants were liable to be punished under sections 16(2) and 39(2)(c) of the same Act.
The two men however pleaded not guilty to the charge and the prosecutor urged the court to remand them in prison and asked for a trial date.

But counsel to Thomas, Dr. Joseph Nwobike (SAN) told the court about the former NHIS boss’ application for bail on self recognition and prayed that the court grant bail to the second defendant.

The presiding judge then granted Thomas bail in the sum of N25 million with two sureties in like sum while Sidi was granted bail in the sum of N10 million with two sureties in like sum.

The judge, however, remanded the two defendants in prison custody till they meet the bail conditions.

They were also ordered to submit their international passports with the court registrar. The case was adjourned till May 12, 2016.

www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/ex-nhis-boss-arraigned-over-2-2m-transaction/138079.html

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Tunami(m): 8:33am On Mar 16, 2016
executive criminal.

12 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by bonechamberlain(m): 8:50am On Mar 16, 2016
Efcc the jack of all arrest and prosecutor of non ..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by stevecantrell: 9:49am On Mar 16, 2016
I remember him when I was a student and he was poster boy of surgery dept.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by bonganee: 11:51am On Mar 16, 2016
See money wen only one person thief

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by henrydadon(m): 11:52am On Mar 16, 2016
kirikiri straight..at least EFCC are not going after yahoo boys again..can we attribute that as one of the success of buhari sad

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by ShitHead(m): 11:52am On Mar 16, 2016
EFCC= Economic and Financial[b] Arraign [/b]Commission.

That's all they do; arraign. Toothless Bulldogs.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by JoaHynppes(m): 11:53am On Mar 16, 2016
how many has been killed?
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Macwytt(m): 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
Bulldog with no teeth

I_Rep_Biafra

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by freemanbubble: 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
jail this man. Nhis is a scam
nhis is a joke! You don't get drugs supplied by federal government because those drugs have been sold by this same criminals.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by ItuExchange(m): 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
How many people in Nigeria have gone for life imprisonment for corruption, having all their possessions stripped?

Answer: None.

There can never be another country like my country.

Neteller here: .com.ng

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by JoaHynppes(m): 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
Tfff..
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by JoaHynppes(m): 11:54am On Mar 16, 2016
T
Tfff.. C
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by idupaul: 11:55am On Mar 16, 2016
stevecantrell:
I remember him when I was a student and he was poster boy of surgery dept.

Seems he still wanted to be the poster boy of corruption

5 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by easyfem(m): 11:56am On Mar 16, 2016
Good news

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by hazyfm1: 11:56am On Mar 16, 2016
THIEF.....

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by easyfem(m): 11:56am On Mar 16, 2016
Someone pple will still blame buari for no reason again

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Mutuwa(m): 11:56am On Mar 16, 2016
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Macwytt(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2016
JoaHynppes:
E
henrydadon:
kirikiri straight..at least EFCC are not going after yahoo boys again..can we attribute that as one of the success of buhari sad
TRADELYN:
embarassed
henrydadon:

Honestly this is not a civilised behavior.
I will write the the president of space booking association (SBA).
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by BashMe1(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2016
bonechamberlain:
Efcc the jack of all arrest and prosecutor of non ..

Av sense naaa bros, are dey d Judges dat will prosecute? dey only av power to arrest an alleged criminal once dey av enuf evidence to make arrest and then take d supposed culprits to court. Court will then decide wat happens next to d individuals.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by JoaHynppes(m): 11:58am On Mar 16, 2016
Macwytt:

Honestly this is not a civilised behavior.
I will write the the president of space booking association (SBA).
Hu"?
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by ManagerUgo(m): 12:00pm On Mar 16, 2016
Nawaoo, alleged corruption everywhere.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by yinchar(m): 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2016
Thief, let him rot in JAIL....We Yorubas would NEVER support any of our children or tribesmen STEALING or engaging in CORRUPT practices.

We know the tribe that supports their children in doing that.......

Thankfully we won't see any IPOB tout on this thread.

Dr Thomas is our son, he knew the consequences of his action, let him face the law and rot in JAIL.

10 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by bonechamberlain(m): 12:03pm On Mar 16, 2016
BashMe1:

Av sense naaa bros, are dey d Judges dat will prosecute? dey only av power to arrest an alleged criminal once dey av enuf evidence to make arrest and then take d supposed culprits to court. Court will then decide wat happens next to d individuals.
me and u who should have sense nah, no one has been prosecuted for corruption under this Efcc, why because they have no case or don't present their case perfectly, the judges passes judgment why its the job of the Efcc through their prosecuting council to present a very formidable case. if not they are only toothless bulldogs and jack of all arrest and prosecutor of non.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Macwytt(m): 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
JoaHynppes:
Hu"?
Autocorrect error grin grin
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
These people really milked Nigeria dry! This is the reason i hated Jonathan, he was soooooo daft, his tenure was like a free for all kleptocracy!!! Everyone was just dipping their hands in the cookie jar!!! God will surely punish Jonathan wherever he is....for his FOOLISHNESS!!! such a daft human being!!! ODE BURUKU

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Nwogeh: 12:06pm On Mar 16, 2016
Na wa o

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by MzMercie: 12:06pm On Mar 16, 2016
I knew d NHIS prog. is a scam, I hope he returns d money
Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by mixter(m): 12:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
All this are stunts. The law is for the poor and not the rich. When I see or hear news from my country. All I do is Shake my head, Because I wouldn't be wrong to say Nigeria is Hopeless.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Femi Thomas Over $2.2m Transaction by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2016
bonechamberlain:
me and u who should have sense nah, no one has been prosecuted for corruption under this Efcc, why because they have no case or don't present their case perfectly, the judges passes judgment why its the job of the Efcc through their prosecuting council to present a very formidable case. if not they are only toothless bulldogs and jack of all arrest and prosecutor of non.
Seems like u don't know whats happening in this country. Do u think is easy to prove any Nigerian politician guilty. With all the money they have stole they can afford to pay like 50 SAN to defend them while efcc is not even funded enough to pay for a good lawyer.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Resumption Of Abuja-Kaduna Train Service Suspended Indefinitely / Feminism: What Is Your View About It? / Hunger Will Soon Vanish – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.