Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,835 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) (2049 Views)

Vehicles Damaged By Falling Trees After Heavy Rainfall In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drive On A Flat Tire / 8 Funny Steps Some Nigerians Still Use To Lock Their Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by nedu2000(m): 7:27am On Mar 19, 2016
In some cars,i see a jack,spanner and a flat wooden board,only nigerians understand why the wooden board is important

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by divinehand2003(m): 7:31am On Mar 19, 2016
It's for multiple purposes,
-to give a firm grip to the jack when you are trying to elevate the side of the car with a flat tyre.
-it can serve as a surface to lie upon when u want to view underneath the car.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by McCarlito(m): 7:31am On Mar 19, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 19, 2016
for a more uniform distribution of vehicles load when it's jacked. a mechanic I asked claimed if its not done, the Jack fit crack a tarred road
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by nedu2000(m): 7:37am On Mar 19, 2016
eduj:
for a more uniform distribution of vehicles load when it's jacked. a mechanic I asked claimed if its not done, the Jack fit crack a tarred road
crack the tarred road ke!! Which kind of road is dat?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by nedu2000(m): 7:39am On Mar 19, 2016
divinehand2003:
It's for multiple purposes,
-to give a firm grip to the jack when you are trying to elevate the side of the car with a flat tyre.
-it can serve as a surface to lie upon when u want to view underneath the car.
I can lie over the car mat na,well maybe you mean to even the ground level when one places d jack since a good number of our roads are in a bad state
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by DGD1(m): 8:08am On Mar 19, 2016
nedu2000:

are you not a nigerian living in nigeria?
are you a stranger to nigerian roads¿

that board has to be there else the jack would sink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by olatade(m): 8:10am On Mar 19, 2016
I guess the board is used to balance the jack on it

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by nedu2000(m): 8:33am On Mar 19, 2016
DGD1:

ahhhh,of course na,just the tarred road part,that can't hold a car....well naija and substandard are one and the same sha
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by colossus2: 11:44am On Mar 19, 2016
OP na plank u carry jare. That thing is too big.
Well the board is used as a support for the jack to avoid it from sinking into the ground if you are to jack your car on a sandy surface.
C'est fini

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by Emekasmart(m): 12:39pm On Mar 19, 2016
colossus2:
OP na plank u carry jare. That thing is too big.
Well the board is used as a support for the jack to avoid it from sinking into the ground if you are to jack your car on a sandy surface.
C'est fini
That thing is not strong enough to hold a car on d sand. I think it's used to lie upon wen surfacing d underneath of a car or so..
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:46pm On Mar 19, 2016
nah for self defense jo wink

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by king406(m): 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2016
shocked shocked
DGD1:

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 20, 2016
nedu2000:
ahhhh,of course na,just the tarred road part,that can't hold a car....well naija and substandard are one and the same sha

You're not thinking straight.

It's not just in Nigeria - a tarred road on a hot day is soft. Consider the weight of a car supported by a jack, the feet of the jack are sharp enough to sink into the soft tar. This is why a block of wood to place the jack on, spreading the load is ideal, and advised.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:39am On Mar 21, 2016
nedu2000:

Nigerian road

But OP that plank is too big na,I have never seen any car with such,maybe danfos that can sharperly remove one of its seat .
However jacking with that kind of big plank will not let the jack balance properly except the jack is placed in the centre of the plank,even @ dat it still won't be as balance as a smaller harder plank that not much wider than D jack
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) by Waspy(m): 1:25pm On Mar 21, 2016
Siena:

You're not thinking straight.

It's not just in Nigeria - a tarred road on a hot day is soft. Consider the weight of a car supported by a jack, the feet of the jack are sharp enough to sink into the soft tar. This is why a block of wood to place the jack on, spreading the load is ideal, and advised.
@Siena , pls, I need ur help. I usually have
trouble starting my Primera 99 P11 only in the
mornings. It just wouldn't start. I ve called my auto
electrician to check it but he told me I'm not turning
the ignition very well as the battery and every other
thing seems fine, yet the problem persists. A friend
advised me to depress my accelerator twice before
turning the ignition switch and this seems to work.
Pls what might probably be wrong ?

(1) (Reply)

Mini Bus / 2012 Bmw 5 Series Vs 2010 MB E350 Vs 2014 Honda Accord? / Do You Think This Transmission Will Still Work? (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.