Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,244 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: (22203 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
HerexG:

Neyor can you make a suggestion on how we can bring out the best and make proper use of the abilities in the geniuses found in our educational institutions
Institutions should work on encouraging ingenuity, Build and improve our facilities such as laboratories so as to encourage researches.

Work on exchange programs with other institutions within and outside the continent.

Institutions should encourage practicals like computer engineers actually coding.

This will encourage ingenuity and expression of our abilities. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Tourshaw: 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw:
There is need for it. Your colleague won't want an effort in futility like I am also feeling now.

Just grant the opportunity to contribute not showcase.

Kudos to my dogged colleague, catalyst4real. I am really sorry for letting you down.

So you think you let down only your fellow Abuite right? You need to be told how we, Team Unilorin waited patiently for you. We sacrificed our time. You owed catalyst appreciation and owed us apologies not those disappointing comments I have been seen from you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Mordecai(m): 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

neyoor didn't state that, I did.

As indicated in my essay, I tagged it as "Role of the Graduate"
A student who fails to evade with good grade is a student who hasn't fulfilled his primary role as a student.

Should a student be applauded, glorified and credited for fulfilling his role? And the institution vituperated and criticised for graduating such a student? How fair is that?

With all due respect Catalyst4real, you really did not answer my questions. I would appreciate it if you would. I would state them here again:

(1) Do they all pass the examinations? When they do, do they all get the same grades? Do they all assimilate whatever the institution has to offer in the same way? Do the graduates all turn out the same?

(2) If they do not, what factor makes the difference in what kind of graduates they become?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by luxanne(f): 6:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Answered it already

Seen smiley

@Tourshaw, not on this thread please.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Tourshaw: 6:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw:
It is not if the organisers consider. But I think Unilorin already has something going on behind the scene which can't make neyoor and graciousolo to be online at the same time because neyoor is graciousolo and graciousolo is neyoor for now.

This one is just repeating lines like a cracked CD plate. Please try and respect the modalities of this intellectual brawls and stop pointing accusing finger at us for your negligence. NISD TEAM is greater than anyone even you!!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Tourshaw: 6:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
luxanne:

Seen smiley
@Tourshaw, not on this thread please.
Thank you.

Ok Ma... My sincere apologies Ma
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Mordecai:

With all due respect Catalyst4real, you really did not answer my questions. I would appreciate it if you would. I would state them here again:

(1) Do they all pass the examinations? When they do, do they all get the same grades? Do they all assimilate whatever the institution has to offer in the same way? Do the graduates all turn out the same?

(2) If they do not, what factor makes the difference in what kind of graduates they become?
1) They don't all pass the examination, and neither do they do so with equal grades.

2) Factors:
(I) Some realised their roles and purpose and others didn't
(ii) The ones who excelled realised it and fulfilled it

You restrict your understanding of quintessential graduate to academic excellence, it goes beyond that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Abuklaw(m): 6:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tourshaw:

This one is just repeating lines like a cracked CD plate. Please try and respect the modalities of this intellectual brawls and stop pointing accusing finger at us for your negligence. NISD TEAM is greater than anyone even you!!
I don't have issue with your shallow comment. But I don't want cheating to undermine the efforts of our organizers. You are typing in self-defense and I expect that from you anyway. You don't know the weight of the comment you made and ignorantly trying to drag it on. Because this is a faceless debate doesn't mean people should impersonate.

Gracias.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw and Tourshaw, you guys should please be passive,
What is ahead is greater than what is bygone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

You restrict your understanding of quintessential graduate to academic excellence, it goes beyond that.

Thank God! So you've finally admitted that quintessential is beyond academic excellence and what else is the bonus if not self-development.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Neyoor:

Thank God! So you've finally admit that quintessential is beyond academic excellence and what else is the bonus if not self-development.

Why the sarcasm when Scores have already been sent?

I admit to what? this is hilarious

Please and try and read people's essay, properly
but let me quote a part of my essay for you.

Is formal education the only thing acquirable in an institution?

A typical Nigerian university is an oasis filled with life lessons, a garnished combination of sweet and sour, a panopticon of challenges, an epitaph of knowledge and a platform for the true test of morals.

You learn to survive amidst hardship and insurmountable stress, spontaneously learning how to manage finance and striving so hard to live cordially with people from different backgrounds.

The graduate acquires Life lessons, struggles and delirium unachievable in any phase of life.

The institution isn't just a paragon where people are rewarded for hard work, it is an avenue where lives are built, friends are discovered, character is tested and knowledge is imparted.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

2) Factors:
(I) Some realised their roles and purpose and others didn't

Who taught them how to realise themselves? Their personal instinct. They are the architect of their fortune, either good or bad and it all boils down to self-development.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
Neyoor:

Who taught them how to realise themselves? Their personal instinct. They are the architect of their fortune, either good or bad and it all boils down to self-development.
Oga rebuttals are over abeg

#sips soft drink from a corner wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by graciousolo(m): 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

That is quite irrelevant and non-relative to the topic.
The focus here is on "Quintessential GRADUATES."
not Quintessential success

Catalyst4real:

You contradict yourself here sir.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
These guys sef cheesy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
graciousolo:

You contradict yourself here sir.
. oya point out the contradiction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by luxanne(f): 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Well done Catalyst4real and Neyoor.

Scores will be posted as soon as Fynestboi logs in.

Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Toniwirelex: 7:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
wow! Abusites i hail una ooo

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by beautyfunke(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
one thing I discovered so far from this debate is that there will be favoritism and nepotism clueless and magrevic

...just watch out
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by OAUTemitayo: 7:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
beautyfunke:
one thing I discovered so far from this debate is that there will be favoritism and nepotism clueless and magrevic

...just watch out
People should desist from making frivolous accusations they can't substantiate.
Your comment is ridiculous

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Abuklaw(m): 7:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
beautyfunke:

...just watch out
I understand the context of your comment and glad to inform you that we will accept the outcome of this debate without any complain. One thing I have discovered through psychology is that; people who possess some personalty disorder tend to think everyone is like them.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by DharmyYinks: 7:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw:
I understand the context of your comment and glad to inform you that we will accept the outcome of this debate without any complain. One thing I have discovered through psychology is that; people who possess some personalty disorder tend to think everyone is like them.
The bolded is hilarious. grin

There is no "We" angry U left ur fellow colleague hanging. Team Unilorin waited for "4 hours" shocked And here u are talking as if u ve been cheated on.

This act even proves that their is no cordial relationship/interaction btw u nd ur pal. Atleast u could ve communicated with each other about the schedule of events nd the 4hours wasted waiting for Your Highness couldn't even awake a need for ur colleague to get u here ASAP.

And No! Am not a student of Unilorin bfor u start churning out flimsy accusations.

PS: If ABU Zaria doesn't make it, YOU re d cause and "IF" u guys made it, Catalyst4real "alone" deserves the accolades.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by segxes23(m): 7:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
Kudos to the debaters Neyoor and Catalyst4real. I enjoyed the essays.

Best wishes
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by benji93: 7:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Going by the trend of the argument i suppose that the topic should have been the ''A Quintessential Graduate of a Nigerian University-A product of self-development or the institution. So the first quesiton goes, what do you expect from a typical university graduate, or what characteristics define a quintessential graduate generally, all things being equal, first of all a graduate, however perfect he his, is a product of his/her institution, because it is the institution that defines who a graduate his, every institution has cetain principlesi n place that defines who a a graduate is, in the case of Nigeria, given the deplorable state of our education, we would have to define our own 'quintessential', infact that word is relative, the world is fast changing that it is becoming more difficult to define who a true graduate is, do you define a graduate as a paragon example if he graduates in the top 5% of his class or the institution? it appears as if the job market defines a perfect graduate differently from institutions. they require cetain qualities from a graduate for which he is defined as prime, however it might have shone off some self-development.Hower we cannot erase the institution from the background of the scheme, so if an institution defines a quintessential graduate as one who excels in academics, so be it,nonetheless the school offers you the platform to acquire whatever self-development you give credence to, it proffers to you a way to an opportunity, all depends on you to grab that opportunity. All in all, in this modern era i think the definition of a true graduate is relative, varying from one school to another, for example in the sciences, where research is becoming more and more pronounced at the undergraduate level, depending on the field-bias of hte school, the quality of your research work could define your quintessence, for example i do not really enjoy the traditional university education certain, even though i am currently being enroled in one of good quality, i would prefer doing research myself, i feel secondary education is enough, but deeply i understand the importance of schooling in a prestigious system, access to research opportunities, though i might be able to search for a lot of things on the internet, there is just no place like the environ that disseminates that very information, you get to communicate with the very embodiments of these innovative ideas firsthand, even tually if and when i develop a mind-blowing theory, and i dont graduate at the top of the class even though that is possible, my professors as much as myself will infact define me as 'quintessential'. All in all an institution defines your imagined world, but you make yourself ready for that world,it predisposes you to that self-esteem, that trahnsfers to your self-development,so it is only fair to give respect to the one that creates imagination, and let us be mindful of the fact that this debate is about graduates, not succes in the worlf, of which self-development is almost indispensable. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Abuklaw(m): 9:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
DharmyYinks:

The bolded is hilarious. grin

There is no "We" angry U left ur fellow colleague hanging. Team Unilorin waited for "4 hours" shocked And here u are talking as if u ve been cheated on.

This act even proves that their is no cordial relationship/interaction btw u nd ur pal. Atleast u could ve communicated with each other about the schedule of events nd the 4hours wasted waiting for Your Highness couldn't even awake a need for ur colleague to get u here ASAP.

And No! Am not a student of Unilorin bfor u start churning out flimsy accusations.

PS: If ABU Zaria doesn't make it, YOU re d cause and "IF" u guys made it, Catalyst4real "alone" deserves the accolades.
The issue is beyond your comprehension bro. No offense, it is the fact. You actually don't know what has been happening prior to today but you are aware of what happened today. Do you know how painful it is to be disconnected from the online world by things beyond your control? Do you know the kind of sacrifice I made before actually logging in when I did? Do you think it is my joy not to be abreast of schedule? I appreciate your concern but the fact is, team ABU remains "we" not "I".
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by barnabas91: 9:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
Catalyst4real:

Why the sarcasm when Scores have already been sent?

I admit to what? this is hilarious

scores might have been sent but not announced yet
every word you've said can be further revisited
let justice be done
waiting for Sir Fynestboi to announce the score
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by barnabas91: 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw:
The issue is beyond your comprehension bro. No offense, it is the fact. You actually don't know what has been happening prior to today but you are aware of what happened today. Do you know how painful it is to be disconnected from the online world by things beyond your control? Do you know the kind of sacrifice I made before actually logging in when I did? Do you think it is my joy not to be abreast of schedule? I appreciate your concern but the fact is, team ABU remains "we" not "I".

you donot give flimsy excuse in an international debate. Do you want to tell me that there are only just one cyber cafe you can go to.
Note that, the people reading this worldwide are not buffons, we have professors in our midst.
They won't buy this excuse, infact your absence automatically disqualifies you.
No need to cause more troubles
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Fynestboi: 9:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
Sigh...

Well well well.. I don't have anything to say than to declare the winner after posting the scores as sent to me by the judges.

Nevertheless, I will like to retrace this, whichever team will be declare the winner today, should not see it as injustice probably because we prevented them from presenting their two REPRESENTATIVES (UNILORIN) or because unforseen circumstances kept you offline, even though you affirm your present for today's debate (ABU ZARIA), See whoever wins as a result of the handiwork of the person representing your Team as I believe the Judges will be fair in all possible means in grading, so I implore the both TEAM to maintain absolute decorum and accept either winning or losing.. Thanks..

There will be third place match as there are prizes for the third place winner as well.

Kindly relax, chill while I post the result...

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Abuklaw(m): 9:27pm On Mar 28, 2016
barnabas91:

you donot give flimsy excuse in an international debate. Do you want to tell me that there are only just one cyber cafe you can go to.
Note that, the people reading this worldwide are not buffons, we have professors in our midst.
They won't buy this excuse, infact your absence automatically disqualifies you.
No need to cause more troubles
What are you saying for God sake! Should I drag you out of your computer to my present environment for you to get the message I am passing across? Do you guys think it is my joy to waste my own effort? Let professors write my upcoming exam tomorrow, buy me new phones and laptop to replace the ones that were stolen few days ago if they want me online. I don't think you guys really know what is called "sociological imagination" is all about. I am done with this issue.

fynestboi, can I post my argument now that the scores have been sent?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Catalyst4real: 9:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
barnabas91:

scores might have been sent but not announced yet
every word you've said can be further revisited
let justice be done
waiting for Sir Fynestboi to announce the score
This really got me laughing

So because the scores can be revisited, we should continue with the rebuttals all night? cheesy

You seem to be really worried about the results grin

The experience alone is fulfilling, winning is just the reward

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: by Fynestboi: 9:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
Abuklaw no problem...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lost Bsc Certificate. Pls Help / Adamu: I Failed As A Minister For Not Solving Challenges In Educational Sector / 2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.