Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons (3995 Views)

Photo Of The Day: See How Inmates Are Treated In Nigerian Prisons! / Pope Francis Hugs Inmates At Philadelphia Prisons (picture) / Kano Pays ₦10.000 Dowry Each For 100 Brides At Mass Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by AloyEmeka9: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2009
10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons

At least 10,000 girls from Edo State are currently languishing in Libya and Morocco prisons.

The Chairman House Committee on Diaspora, Rep. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this when she led members of the committe on a courtesy visit to Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday.

She said that the committee members who visited the girls in the two North African countries, adding that some of them are as young as 13 and 20 years.

Dabiri-Erewa said that the girls were facing various forms of inhuman treatment and were being used as sex objects.

She added that some of them were pregnant while others had already given birth in prison.

The lawmaker urged the state government to help the girls out of their predicament, adding that it should `downplay’ the reasons why they went to the two countries.

Responding, Oshiomhole said it did not matter whether the majority of the girls were indigenes of the state or not, noting that the issue of rescue was within the purview of the Federal Government.

The governor said that the National Assembly and the Federal Government had the responsibility to appropriate funds toward ensuring that the girls were released.

He said that the insinuation that government and its agencies including National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) were handicapped in this regard was untenable.

Thousands of Nigerian girls are into prostitution in Europe, especially Italy, where they are subjected to all kinds of dehumanising treament.
http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=6226&z=10
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by no1madman(m): 9:42am On Jul 23, 2009
NA WA 4 edo girls
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Davedavy: 9:18pm On Jul 23, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons

At least 10,000 girls from Edo State are currently languishing in Libya and Morocco prisons.

The Chairman House Committee on Diaspora, Rep. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this when she led members of the committe on a courtesy visit to Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday.

She said that the committee members who visited the girls in the two North African countries, adding that some of them are as young as 13 and 20 years.

Dabiri-Erewa said that the girls were facing various forms of inhuman treatment and were being used as sex objects.

She added that some of them were pregnant while others had already given birth in prison.

The lawmaker urged the state government to help the girls out of their predicament, adding that it should `downplay’ the reasons why they went to the two countries.

Responding, Oshiomhole said it did not matter whether the majority of the girls were indigenes of the state or not, noting that the issue of rescue was within the purview of the Federal Government.

The governor said that the National Assembly and the Federal Government had the responsibility to appropriate funds toward ensuring that the girls were released.

He said that the insinuation that government and its agencies including National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (NAPTIP) were handicapped in this regard was untenable.

Thousands of Nigerian girls are into prostitution in Europe, especially Italy, where they are subjected to all kinds of dehumanising treament.
http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=6226&z=10
Libya and Morocco, what da hell!!!!
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2009
Now seems like Nigerians will travel almost anywhere to escape Nigeria.
But what can Libya offers as well as Morocco ?
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Outstrip(f): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Now seems like Nigerians will travel almost anywhere to escape Nigeria.
But what can Libya offers as well as Morocco ?

It's called ignorance my dear. The way they hustle to get to that morocco alone is crazy. My little sister went to morocco on mission work earlier this year and she said that they shoot Africans on sight there if they are caught sneaking in. If they put that much energy into do something in Nigeria they might even be better off now. Stupid mentality
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by mamagee3(f): 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2009
Too bad for them.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 9:56pm On Jul 23, 2009
Outstrip:

It's called ignorance my dear. The way they hustle to get to that morocco alone is crazy. My little sister went to morocco on mission work earlier this year and she said that they shoot Africans on sight there if they are caught sneaking in. If they put that much energy into do something in Nigeria they might even be better off now. Stupid mentality

u mean to tell me that the nigerians are sneaking in there and not with a visa or legally?
but again, what can they use the energy on in Nigeria?
Nigeria is simply empty with nothing to offer the youths
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2009
What a tragedy. For this topic to be in this section it must be a very serious family disgrace.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 10:37pm On Jul 23, 2009
michelin89:

What a tragedy. For this topic to be in this section it must be a very serious family disgrace.

Lol
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by samparian(m): 2:49am On Jul 24, 2009
Morrocco and Libya are just transit points for them.

Their destination is Europe. Most of them travel by road through Kano and Sokoto, across the desert just to get to Libya or Morocco and then if lucky are smuggled into Spain via fishing vessels.

Many die en route to Libya. Its a real tragedy
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by sley4life(m): 4:56am On Jul 24, 2009
all because of money
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by AloyEmeka9: 5:03am On Jul 24, 2009
samparian:

Morrocco and Libya are just transit points for them.

Their destination is Europe. Most of them travel by road through Kano and Sokoto, across the desert just to get to Libya or Morocco and then if lucky are smuggled into Spain via fishing vessels.

Many die en route to Libya. Its a real tragedy
The only way to curb this menace is by arresting their pimps at home.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by mccloud224(m): 6:24am On Jul 24, 2009
At least,there is hope of a better future for them there
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 3:43pm On Jul 24, 2009
mccloud224:

At least,there is hope of a better future for them there

What kinda hope could be there for them in Libya?
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by walestar2(m): 1:19am On Jul 25, 2009
Maybe women are not enough in that country.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by AloyEmeka9: 1:57am On Jul 25, 2009
If women are scarce there, why are they putting them in jail?. I don't know why they no wan go China, women dey scarce for China well well.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by samparian(m): 4:38am On Jul 25, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

If women are scarce there, why are they putting them in jail?. I don't know why they no wan go China, women dey scarce for China well well.

who tell you that one??
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Amigoz(f): 6:51am On Jul 25, 2009
Poor girls - so sad
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Profkenny1(m): 11:23pm On Jul 25, 2009
na wao wonders shall never end!
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
Amigoz:

Poor girls - so sad

poor girls? what is ppor abt them, or someone put a gun to their heads to take them there?
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Kx: 4:36pm On Jul 27, 2009
At Allen Round about,dem yakpa,
At Kuramo beach at night,dem full,
even in Victoria Island sef,dem hang for road for night.
Dem dey everywhere.

Are u surprised they are fleeing to maroc and libya enroute europe?
Its d same prostitution everywhere.

Fight the cause,not the effect.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by JustGood(m): 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2009
These girls will get to Europe and tell Europeans "cock and bull" stories that people want to circumcise them etc.

If that doesn't work, they'll say that they were forced to go into prostitution by men who promised them jobs.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 4:52pm On Jul 27, 2009
JustGood:

These girls will get to Europe and tell Europeans "cock and bull" stories that people want to circumcise them etc.

If that doesn't work, they'll say that they were forced to go into prostitution by men who promised them jobs.

hahahahahahaha or if na Yoruba woman, she will say they wanna give her tribal mark on her face.
If na man, he will say, they wanna kill am cos he likes men.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Ben13: 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2009
mere exagerations.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2009
Ben20001:

mere exagerations.

I am damn serious, i wish there is a data collected on reasons, and you will laff tire.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by kay9(m): 7:35pm On Jul 27, 2009
wale.star:

Maybe women are not enough in that country.

Abi? grin grin
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Rebarobyn: 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2009
the problem is that most people who travel abroad come back home and give the impression that its a gold mine any where outside Nigeria. they should start saying the truth about the dirty and illegal things they do and Nigerians should stop worshiping money, we only respect the rich, not the hardworking and noble, what a shame!
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2009
Rebarobyn:

the problem is that most people who travel abroad come back home and give the impression that its a gold mine any where outside Nigeria. they should start saying the truth about the dirty and illegal things they do and Nigerians should stop worshiping money, we only respect the rich, not the hardworking and noble, what a shame!

hahahahahahaha
trust me that wont work, people just seems to love being lied to.
tell tell that abroad is hard, they will tell you to take the next flight home and that they wanna come and experience the hardship too.
And once you hooked, u are
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Outstrip(f): 11:44pm On Jul 27, 2009
Abeg you guys are so right. I have cousins in Nigeria doing way better than me and they have no reason to want to come here except on vacation. Tell the average Nigerian that they will have to work like a dog to earn decent money they will act like working like a dog in america is being driven around by a chauffeur and sipping champagne for breakfast
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by AloyEmeka: 11:47pm On Jul 27, 2009
Every society suffers this way if there is hardship.  It doesn't mean that Nigerians are any less intelligent. If things get better with time, they will stop. If these girls were in school or if our govt agree to subsidize education for women, things like this will cease to exist. Naija sef don tire pikins wey still dey belle.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/153897_n1215675803_30199548_231_jpg24087b3e1660acdc7f37b0676f023551
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by Fhemmmy: 4:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

Every society suffers this way if there is hardship.  It doesn't mean that Nigerians are any less intelligent. If things get better with time, they will stop. If these girls were in school or if our govt agree to subsidize education for women, things like this will cease to exist. Naija sef don tire pikins wey still dey belle.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/153897_n1215675803_30199548_231_jpg24087b3e1660acdc7f37b0676f023551

i dont agree with you at all.
Nothing can make the prostitute to stop.
Nigerians are used to quick money, most young Nigerians just wanna make the money fast and quick and go back to Nija to go show off.
Subsidize all your want for those girls, they will still wanna go italy so that they can come back and form levels.
I think the family set up is the only thing that can change it, mentality of the parents and families needs to be re-alligned.
Tell me, how can someone travel out of nigeria in a year, and come back to Nija with Hummer and the father starts to dance and showing off too, and that triggers a ripple effect that makes another dude to wanna be better than that one.
young girls sending money home after just a year to build a house and the mama and papa no ask them where they got it.
The good ones that doing it right are being asked how come they never do this and that.
So family needs to be educated.
Re: 10,000 Edo Girls Languish In Foreign Prisons by JustGood(m): 3:18pm On Jul 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i dont agree with you at all.
Nothing can make the prostitute to stop.
Nigerians are used to quick money, most young Nigerians just wanna make the money fast and quick and go back to Nija to go show off.
Subsidize all your want for those girls, they will still wanna go italy so that they can come back and form levels.
I think the family set up is the only thing that can change it, mentality of the parents and families needs to be re-alligned.
Tell me, how can someone travel out of nigeria in a year, and come back to Nija with Hummer and the father starts to dance and showing off too, and that triggers a ripple effect that makes another dude to wanna be better than that one.
young girls sending money home after just a year to build a house and the mama and papa no ask them where they got it.

The good ones that doing it right are being asked how come they never do this and that.
So family needs to be educated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

25 Year Old Girl Getting Married To A 45 Year Old Man / Can Ʊ Wash Ur Mother In Law's Panties? / Just for marrying your Brother ???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.