Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story (15687 Views)

FMC Umuahia First Kidney Transplant Surgery Was Successful (Photos) / Appeal For Funds For A Second Kidney Transplant / Help Save Mercy!!! She Needs A Kidney Transplant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by diagro: 6:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
I was a kidney donor in a Nigerian hospital in late 2015. That gave me opportunity to interact with a couple of kidney patients, doctors (including non-Nigerians) and other donors locally. I have been thinking of sharing some of my experiences regarding this, but I have been forgetting until recently when someone was telling me about a kidney patient he knows and some problems he was having about getting help in Nigeria. So, I believe my experiences might benefit someone out here who may be having a challenge in this direction. Then, coincidentally, I just came across a passage of This Day Newspaper uploaded only 2 days ago saying Nigeria records 17,000 new cases of kidney diseases annually.

We can reduce this with more information. For example, my friend who called me was talking of the difficulty in getting a donor (he actually called me to speak to a prospective donor who was apprehensive of undergoing the surgery, being that I have passed through it). So, if you have a loved one who needed your help in this regard, you can take some points here. The point is, even if you don't have money to give, there is something better than money you can give without really losing anything.

So, talking about my experiences let me say the much I can here: I donated to a dear one. Before that, I underwent intensive medical check-up, long orientation and then, documentation. The first set of the medical check-up was to ensure that I matched with my receiver (blood group and all); the second set was to determine I was healthy enough to donate. The orientation was to ensure my decision to donate was informed. Then, the documentation included court affidavit and personal data filing.

On the day of the surgery, I was placed on anesthesia during which I lost consciousness completely (not even a dream!) until later I saw myself after the surgery had taken place (about 8 hours or so, later). For me, that was some idea about how death would be eventually.
Before the surgery, I was asked not to eat for some hours prior to it. Then after it, I did not eat anything for 24 hours (may be more) but I didn’t feel hungry because I was often placed on drip. I was in the hospital for post-surgery medication for two weeks before I left.
During the experience, I learnt so many things I could never have learnt unless I passed through it such as: 1. Pain-reliever consumption predisposes you to kidney problems. Of course, it gets to be risky only through over-consumption. So, stop taking paracetamol or panadol at every opportunity you have to. 2. It is not just anyone that could donate a kidney to anyone. Apart from matching the blood groups of prospective donor and receiver, there are a ton of other considerations 3. As the medics told me, it hardly ever happens that one kidney would have problems without the other having. So, you don’t have to live carelessly thinking ‘if I lose one, the other continues’. Also, if you donate to a loved one, you have saved a life without losing any of yours.
One thing I noticed after donating the kidney is that I have naturally become less careless in the way I live. For example, I naturally (without struggles) gave up smoking and heavy consumption of alcohol. These habits are equally as dangerous to a one-kigneyed as to a two-kidneyed person though (from the above expert views, that is).
There is nothing I could do before the kidney donation I can’t do now.
This is all I can say for now. NOTE: I’m not a doctor and so, this can’t be taken for medical advice. All I know about this is from being a donor.

82 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by GogetterMD(m): 7:27pm On Mar 21, 2016
cry
You are on point OP. You likewise just performed one of the most charitable acts that one could ever do.
The most important step before donation is checking the HLA-type of the donor is closest matching to that of the recipient. The more identical a donor-recipient pair is, the less likely the chances of organ rejection.

8 Likes

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by dominique(f): 11:19pm On Mar 21, 2016
Awesome thing you did. How about the recipient? Hope the kidney is functioning well with him or her?

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Baeb: 10:49am On Mar 22, 2016
This should be moved to front page. Very wonderful gesture OP. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by chikeorji123(m): 6:29pm On Apr 08, 2016
God bless u op..u got a pm.

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 09, 2016
God bless your heart OP..

2 Likes

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 15, 2016
Lalasticlala, Seun, shouldn't posts like this make fp?
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by SageTravels: 11:27am On Apr 15, 2016
Eyyaa. Weldone. Nice job
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by AdemolaA2: 11:27am On Apr 15, 2016
Very concise and eduative . For chronic smokers and alcoholics. Think twice of the consequences in the long run.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by ThePlumbers(m): 11:27am On Apr 15, 2016
Only God saves in this country o
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by gurunlocker: 11:29am On Apr 15, 2016
Always scared reading anything "kidney transplant"

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by ibkgab001: 11:29am On Apr 15, 2016
It is well
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by macaranta(m): 11:29am On Apr 15, 2016
Okay..quite jnformative.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by trailblaiza(m): 11:30am On Apr 15, 2016
The very essence of living redefined. Bless your heart OP! smiley

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by marshalcarter: 11:30am On Apr 15, 2016
Op...Jah bless ya
Buh u get mind nii oo shocked

Seun...pls put smiley dats cryin naa undecided

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by kennyman2000(m): 11:30am On Apr 15, 2016
Nice one.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by rellawyt(f): 11:31am On Apr 15, 2016
sorry o! but we still need fuel here!

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by folks4luv(f): 11:33am On Apr 15, 2016
@Op, u are really very bold I must say, I sometimes imagine myself having to donate a kidney or a part of my liver to a loved one n such thoughts r scary.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by psalmsonovic(m): 11:33am On Apr 15, 2016
you get mind sha... God bless you.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Sweetyie(f): 11:34am On Apr 15, 2016
What about our 'Malaysia' guys
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Mrpelumi1: 11:35am On Apr 15, 2016
you should av sold for 30 million naira

1 Like

Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by gbens2000(m): 11:35am On Apr 15, 2016
Infac op u try wella,somehow u made it less scary to me and others reading to I guess.
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Skipfr(m): 11:36am On Apr 15, 2016
God bless your kind heart op. In the words of Fashola may our loyalty never be tested. Cases like this truly show how loyal and loving we can be. Once again God bless you
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by zeezyoung(m): 11:37am On Apr 15, 2016
Nice one o.p God bless u
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by professore(m): 11:39am On Apr 15, 2016
I learnt one or two things
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by Lilimax(f): 11:40am On Apr 15, 2016
@ OP, I was just thinking if I could be able to do this undecided
You're such a wonderful person to undergo such procedure to save life.
I hope you're richly rewarded smiley
Re: Kidney Transplant In Nigeria: My Story by nenergy(m): 11:42am On Apr 15, 2016
Brave deed! How is your kidney recipient doing? As he/she returned to normal living?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For September 22 2020 In Nigeria - (3,019 Tested) / Curing Leukaemia With HIV: Breakthough On Treatment For Cancer? / COVID-19 Update For December 31 2020 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.