Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time (59372 Views)

Welcome To USA - Tips And Tricks For Immigrants / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by kairu: 5:23am On Mar 23, 2016
Yes it’s finally going to happen. Your lifelong dream of living and working in America is finally coming to pass. Your employer is sending you to their U.S. subsidiary, you won a green card lottery, your relative has finally filed for you or you sold all your properties and inheritance and relocated anyway.

In my own case we were very excited about this opportunity and could not wait to relocate. So we left behind our friends, grandparents, nephews, nieces, co-workers and a job for me that just got comfortable with a promotion!

Any way in our excitement we forgot to do quite a lot of things which later became very stressful to obtain. So here are some of them;

International Drivers License/Permit

It’s definitely an option to get an international drivers license before you enter the US. Most cities in the US don’t have good public transportation and you may need to borrow, rent or buy a car in other to move from one point to another. But this is only a temporary solution for the first few months. After that you will still have to get a US drivers license. The police might start to give you a hard time about it especially if you get stopped for a traffic offence.

Get those Academic Transcripts!

You must have Your Secondary /University Transcript of Records. Especially if you plan to either school or work in the US. Request it from your University Registrar. Try to request as many copies as you can. Then have them evaluated by Credentials Evaluation Services. The CES is a government approved organization for those who are educated outside the United States but want to pursue further education in U.S. institutions of higher learning or work with their credentials. The cost I think is $385.00 and you can check out www.cgfns.org for more clarification. You can actually do this evaluation even before you travel!

A note of warning though….. Don’t be surprised if your Nigerian first class degree is evaluated to a second class lower. I beg that’s how I see am! Apparently our degrees no qualify! But just check it out before leaving before you find out that you left Nigeria a doctor and is only qualified to be an RN!

Take the Approved English Language Proficiency Examinations

If you want to further your education this is a must. As far as you were not born here and you did not begin your early education here, then yes you need this document.

There are three sets of approved exams; (1) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) plus the Test of Written English (TWE) and the Test of Spoken English (TSE); (2) the Test of English in International Communications (TOEIC) plus TSE and TWE; or (3) the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Unlocked Cell Phones

Yes that your very expensive unlocked cell phone can be used here with another carrier. Most cell phone companies in the US sell locked cellphones. Although you can buy unlock codes and phones on places like Ebay when you arrive. it’s interesting but I found out its easier and sometimes cheaper to buy phones from Nigeria, then bring it here and just pick a carrier. All you do is insert your SIM and you’re good to go. Rather than paying for phones with 2 year service plans.

An Adapter for Your Various Electronics

The voltage in America is 110 while in Nija its 220/240! In those days, we needed voltage converters to either step up or step down the voltages or else our electronics would blow up.
But now that’s not really necessary since most electronics such as cell phones, iPads, tablets, laptops and cameras, all have the capacity to accept both types of voltage. All you need now is just an adapter with different plugs.

Photos and Contact Information of Friends and Family

Yep, I took this one for granted. Time flies really when you travel abroad. Before you can say Jackie Chan, you will have spent 4 years without even realizing it and have lost contact with a lot of your peers, friends and family! So please pack up as many memorabilia as you can!

171 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by KingRex1(m): 5:54am On Mar 23, 2016
Very helpful!
Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by integrity85(m): 5:55am On Mar 23, 2016
A timely thread for me.
Thanks op.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 6:21am On Mar 23, 2016
I have Facebook and IG plus sim card other things are added unto me

4 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by vizkiz: 7:43am On Mar 23, 2016
Take a lotta condoms along cuz them be furcking like crazy in the US

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by helphelp: 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ok

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by jamela(f): 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
This should be for any country really, not just the states.

10 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by falconey(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
And lots of indigenous CD/DVD tracks.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by makingsense(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
What about things like :
Yam
Beans
Rice
Ewedu
Fufu
Amala

Because I heard they eat only grass there..

Abeg no come crucify me oo!!!

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by TrollTrap: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
Imagine how peak it is finally getting to the U.S and then Trump wins election the next day and send you back to "Africa". grin grin

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Kyllahmc(m): 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nice, quite educating
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
1- garri
2- crayfish
3- close up

7 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by callmeSwit(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
agbo

4 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Fr33born(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
Don't forget your Pestle and Mortar
Very important..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Wuuworld(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
No body is or will relocate to any USA,we all must see to the end of this APC change.

The USA u wanna run to was actually made by people..
They av their government too
Itz either Buhari and his APC TIEFZZZZ finish us or we murder them...

NO BODY LEAVES!!!!

Make I freestyle small before they finally approve the anti social media bill abi na wetin they call am.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Sweetyie(f): 5:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
Baba God answer my call oh

3 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Chartey(m): 5:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
The OP will get uncountable PMs today. You go reply tire today

6 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Akosxxx(m): 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nowhere like home.. 9ja

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by DONMAYOR19(m): 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2016
God bless op. moving there soon.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Pavore9: 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
l will not miss going with dehydrated local vegetables.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tpiah2: 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ok we have heard!

Who is the thread about as una move am to front page for emphasis!
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Daniel058(m): 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2016
100volts of packet shirt ((AKPU)) a k a MR LOILOI

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Hawlahscho(m): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by dyn1800: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
AS WELL AS ANTI TRUMP CHARM grin

4 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by chumakk: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
Take enough money.

3 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by octopusfreaky(f): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2016
No place like home jere,,dose places are meant for visitation.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by lilmax(m): 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
Is that all? cheesy

How can you forget the part where you start thinking its okay for someone to get married to a tree?DEMOCRACY remember?

In other words,your brain might run from your head gringrin
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by DaFlash: 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
1 Gun
2 Taser
3 pepper spray

Cause its the home of serial killers, psychos and devil worshipping cults

I LOVE MY COUNTRY 9JA

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by chelseabmw(m): 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nice info

First timers are all welcome tongue
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by luckylucky: 5:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
I think you should have said that things Nigerians - American need to bring along when coming to Nigeria by the time Trump become America next president.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

100-Foot Road: Anambra Government Reclaiming Erosion Site In Nnewi (Photos ) / Policemen Trapped As Cash-Filled Bullion Van Catches Fire In Kebbi (Pictures) / Ambode Is Building Pedestrian Bridge At Magodo-Alausa Secretariat Bus-stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.