Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,718 members, 7,802,166 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor (44724 Views)

Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men / Blood Is Coming Out Of My Nose Instead Of Mucus / Female Medical Doctor Dies In Warri After Her Return From Ukraine. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by samx4real(m): 6:15am On Mar 24, 2016
There BLOOD is definitely not in your hands!!!
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Karlovich: 6:17am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

[size=18pt]What happened to the Hippocratic oath taken when you were enrolled by the medical council? Or, this doesn't happen in Nigeria anymore?[/size]
smh, you really need serious mental evaluation, no wonder your politicians flee to foreign countries for medical treatments. So a doctor shouldn't be paid for his services, the drugs and other apparatus he made use of while treating a patient, and some are quick to mention God u begin to wonder why the so called patient wasn't taken to a church or mosque in the first place.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by drnoel: 6:20am On Mar 24, 2016
sofadj:
I own a hospital in Southwest- (not Osun state Nigeria ...lol). I currently have about 17 patients on my ward each of whom I have admitted at several occasions through emergency. None of these patients has paid upto 30% of his/her bill. Some of them have stayed upto 7 weeks on the ward. I admitted and attended to them based on the fact that their conditions were life-threatening as at the time they came. I made their bill known to them - and they signed before they were treated. But there is a common trend, as soon as they felt relief and became stable they pleaded for their bills to be reduced - this I vehemently refused.

About 4 weeks ago a woman was rushed in with Eclampsia having just convulsed while pregnant and she was unconscious. I promptly took her straight to the theatre without collecting a dime though i had informed the relatives of the charges - #120,000 for her operation and medications. They signed and I carried out the surgery succesfully. Mother and baby survived. Within the following 6-days they paid a total sum of #12,000 and they began pleading to go home for the child's christening ceremony. I looked at them with disdain. Till now, they have only managed to pay a total sum of #14,000.

Another man who was managed for strangulated hernia has only paid 20,000 out of 75,000 bill. And the list goes on. Their failure to pay has made it difficult for the hospital to replace consumables and medications needed to manage other people's condition.
In the early hours of today 1:30am, a woman was rushed into the hospital following delivery at the referrral center. Blood had refused to stop gushing out. I did a quick assesment and realised she would need more materials than the hospital pharmacy currently had in store. I could have my staff get from a nearby pharmacy too. However, the husband said he had no money on him and so did the numerous relatives that accompanied. It was indeed a familiar pattern. I decided to let them go. I referred her to a government hospital. Ofcourse they pleaded for me to help but there was nothing I could do. Few minutes after they left - just few metres from my hospital gate, she collapsed. She had lost a lot of blood. I rushed there and rigorously tried resuscitating her right there outside the hospital 2am early morning, but all efforts proved abortive. A young woman of 28years had just died after having her first baby. Screams, wails, cries ensued. I felt bad - this is not why i became a doctor. But her blood is not on my hands.

Her blood is on the hands and heads of all the patients on the ward who can afford to pay but refused to - on the grounds that - "What will they do?. Her blood is on the hands and heads of the government officials past and present who have made it difficult and impossible for workers to get paid for their work. But the government officials are not the target of this my narrat. It is aimed at those who take hospital healthcare and medical doctors for granted. Those (including myself) who emphasise that doctors should not put money first before treating emergency conditions. In emergency cases, relatives would go to any length through any struggle to get money. As soon as the situation becomes calm, they relax and then they refuse to pay.

Last year a distant relative of mine was delivered of her baby via Caesearian section (in a hospital in Lagos- not mine). They were billed #180,000 which they accepted before the operation. After the surgery, her husband called me and asked how much I charge and i told him. He then began pleading with the management of the said hospital to review his bill. They declined. The husband being who he is, paid #120,000 and absconded with his wife and his newly born son. How he did this, I do not know, but i know that at the christening ceremony a week later, he had two cows slaughtered to celebrate the birth of his first son.

Many times we complain of doctors who ask for charges before treating patients but no one has ever bothered to ask the doctors why they do? Doctors are humans too, we need to pay bills. This is our trade, our profession, our means of livelihood. We have needs too. We can not go to the market place with the ID showing that we're doctors and hope to get food items on credit. We need to pay our children's school fees, we need clothes , shelter etc just as you. Everywhere in the world healthcare is expensive, both services and materials are exepensive. Well we understand that you may not have money. The government should find a way. The government should find a way/policy that ensures that we get our money back after we have rendered our service. In the UK there is the National Health Scheme, in the United states they have health insurance schemes too in addition to Medicare, Medicaid. In Nigeria we have the barely effective, poorly regulated and massively corrupt National Health Insurance Scheme.

Well i have decided to change the modus operandi of my institution. The previous one has not benefitted anybody. Henceforth if any one comes to my emergency room without a dime. I will not attend to. If such a person dies, the blood is not on my hands, its on the hands of those who have received treatment in the past and failed to pay afterwards.

Bro I feel ur pain. Its the same story everywhere. The reason I myself withdrew from hands on medicine to diagnosis. The deaths where depressing and the nigerian health ministry is irresponsible.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by unto(m): 6:29am On Mar 24, 2016
Initially I use to blame medical doctors for allowing patients to die because of inability to provide money, I now understand what the medical doctors are passing through. Criticizing people without knowing the reason behind their actions is bad

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 6:31am On Mar 24, 2016
Karlovich:
smh, you really need serious mental evaluation, no wonder your politicians flee to foreign countries for medical treatments. So a doctor shouldn't be paid for his services, the drugs and other apparatus he made use of while treating a patient, and some are quick to mention God u begin to wonder why the so called patient wasn't taken to a church or mosque in the first place.

Go away with your mosquito brain. You don't get it, do you? I guess you're one of the so-called medical doctors.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by middlebelter(m): 6:33am On Mar 24, 2016
This Dr has a good heart. Imagine a man that failed to complete the medical bill of his wife on delivery and then went to slaughter two cattle? Just imagine the emotional stress that accompanies the man's job seeing people in pain, willing to help but being prevented from helping due to people's failure to complete their bill. All the previous leaders that have been stealing our monies in this country should not think that God will not require the blood of the people dying daily under similar conditions portrayed by this Dr from their hands. Dr should help create more awareness on Health Insurance Scheme and mount pressure on Government to make it work. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by HaneefahRN(f): 6:35am On Mar 24, 2016
I really don't blame this Dr for his stand. So many annoying things happen.
The one that irritates me most are those that'll have hundreds of relatives following the pt and another hundred coming to disturb the pt regularly, ask them to drop just 2k for some materials and drugs needed to treat and you'll start hearing stories. If u ain't at alert you'll just find out the stabilized pt has escaped or they could come with their family head to start begging, what do you do? U sha can't tie them down, they are allowed to go while the hospital is already running at a loss. It's a business for God's sake, not Charity.

Some would have gone to quacks and herbalists and when the situation is almost out of control they'll come rushing to the hospital without a dime expecting miracle.

Some people will come for antenatal care visits in expensive clothes and all, you would think they are going for a party, let the time for delivery come ordinary pin they won't buy, I don't know if they expect Dr to buy the needed materials for them too, or pack baby wt hand. Later they'll also come out to say Drs and nurses are wicked.

Our mentality in this Country from the leaders to the common man has to change o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Karlovich: 6:38am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

Go away with your mosquito brain. You don't get it, do you? I guess you're one of the so-called medical doctors.
and your brain made u write such nonsense, u better see a psychiatrist before your relatives start blaming innocent people in your village for ur predicament, and I'm no nigerian
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by laprince(m): 6:40am On Mar 24, 2016
tdayof:
nhis isn't dead . I don't know the hospital you use but I can tell you nhis is well active .

Maybe you are not aware of the huge financial misappropriation in NHIS last year.
I will try to send you a link to it.

Moreso, NHIS level of assistance is significantly low. Not all Nigerians can access NHIS.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by datigbogirl: 6:49am On Mar 24, 2016
ifeomaekol:
Op, u wia trained to save lives @any cost, in case u dnt kw dt lady's blood is on ur hands(am nt sayn ds to make u feel bad or angry),. Nw I understand u n I cn relate to ur plight. I think wat u shuld be doin frm nw on is to detain them, afta treatment do nt allow them to go until dia bill is settled cos I wouldn't wnt u to reject treating another soul dt needs treatment b/c of d mistakes of others pls. Pls, dnt lock ur hrt, dias a reason u r a doctor n it is to save lives, dnt allow ds type of incident occur again in ur hospital. Tamper justice wt mercy pls.

He should tie d patient down ba? You're so funny...ppl dat have no idea about running a hospital or the medical profession will come and be giving you advise on how to run the hospital...even govt hospitals with the best of security experts still have patient absconding under watchful eyes...i mentioned my experience on how a patient called to organize touts dat beat us up and he dropped 2thousand naira as hospital bill and left....you don't know patients at all so pls don't give any advise..

Most of the private hospitals you see functioning well are either being funded by HMOs or have a strict rule when it comes to bills and they usually have their customers like celebrities, politicians etc....e.g Eko hospitals, St.Nicholas, Reddington etc...even when you sef enter the place you'll go and find another hospital to go to cos you'll be too intimidated to start acting funny or cause any scene when your bill is presented...some will even size you up and deny you admission if they sense you'll end up being a trouble maker who won't pay....you can't blame them cos they're not ready to hear stories dat touch! That wont put food on their tables
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Henovy: 6:55am On Mar 24, 2016
idris4r83:
If accumulating wealth is what you are looking for after studying medicine then u are in for a ride. A medical degree can only make u sufficient but not rich.
If you read the post very well, you will not make this your comment. It is not about accumulating wealth. Put yourself in his shoes, bro.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by cjeriia: 6:56am On Mar 24, 2016
idris4r83:
If accumulating wealth is what you are looking for after studying medicine then u are in for a ride. A medical degree can only make u sufficient but not rich.
U prolly did not read d post & if u did, I doubt if u processed d info properly.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Henovy: 6:57am On Mar 24, 2016
divinecode101:
Ok Wailers, blame Buhari for this. Buhari is the cause, Buhari's fault.
Funny guy!
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 7:01am On Mar 24, 2016
Karlovich:
and your brain made u write such nonsense, u better see a psychiatrist before your relatives start blaming innocent people in your village for ur predicament, and I'm no nigerian

See what 'am talking about? I guess you've not only got mosquito brain, but a dysfunctional one infected with the zika virus. You think I care about your nationality? I don't. And, for your information, whilst everything is wrong with the Nigerian state, there is nothing wrong with being a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by datigbogirl: 7:07am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

It's only the padre, and not the seductionist(s), who is under oath. The latter has nothing at stake, really. The padre either sticks it out or quit if he no longer has the moral stamina and resolve to stay true to his calling. In the same manner, if a medical doctor cannot stay true to her/his calling with reference to the Hippocratic oath, s/he should (if s/he has a conscience) call it a day perhaps by moving into another sector where s/he can stay true to her/his calling. Junior doctors in England are currently demanding better working conditions with a threat that if the government fails to act, they'll move to other parts of the UK (especially Scotland and Northern Ireland) or abroad (Middle East, Australia, Canada, etc.). Rather than fold their arms and watch patients die, they'll simply move elsewhere. Only then can they, like Pontius Pilate, wash their hands clean of a patient's blood.

Your statement here has no correlation to your suggestion...ds doctors are not resigning dr profession but will move to a place with better working condition...it's like d prayer of every doctor but you're here saying the doctor should down tools kpatakpata and become jobless simply becos he demands to be paid for the skills he uses in rendering life saving services...

Humans will always take important things for granted.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by datigbogirl: 7:12am On Mar 24, 2016
ifeomaekol:
I kw, bt he must devise a means for them to pay, I jux dnt understand hw someone ll play pranks wt a hospital that did nt hestiate to save ur life---jux dnt understand. My own worry is dt he shulnt b/c of sm pples wickedness turn a deaf ear to d plight of genuine others. Its really a pity dt pple lack intergrity dz days.

I appreciate your honesty you don't understand...it shows you don't know the hell docs have been through in d hands of patients...try walking in my shoes and you'll cancel all this your lofty statements.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by PrincessC11(f): 7:13am On Mar 24, 2016
idris4r83:
I disagree with you. So many doctors have their own hospital n personal apartment. Some even has different business. So a doctor can also be rich.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 7:14am On Mar 24, 2016
datigbogirl:

Your statement here has no correlation to your suggestion...ds doctors are not resigning dr profession but will move to a place with better working condition...it's like d prayer of every doctor but you're here saying the doctor should down tools kpatakpata and become jobless simply becos he demands to be paid for the skills he uses in rendering life saving services...

Humans will always take important things for granted.

Your comment demonstrates a lack of basic English comprehension. I don't blame you but the Nigerian educational system.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by PresVA: 7:14am On Mar 24, 2016
It's really pathetic. . So many Nigerians are just dishonest.... we do a lot of stupid things calling it smartness... sad

But then, I'm just indifferent concerning the op's case; will be sad leaving someone die before you because of bills...However undecided

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Remii(m): 7:17am On Mar 24, 2016
PrincessC11:
I disagree with you. So many doctors have their own hospital n personal apartment. Some even has different business. So a doctor can also be rich.
don't mind him, consultants will gist with you for 5 minutes and charge N10 for consultantation with about 20 people online daily then he says doctors can't be rich? Lol
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by ifeomaekol(f): 7:23am On Mar 24, 2016
datigbogirl:

I appreciate your honesty you don't understand...it shows you don't know the hell docs have been through in d hands of patients...try walking in my shoes and you'll cancel all this your lofty statements.
its well sir, jux take things easy n continue the good wrk. I appreciate u n all honest n hard working doctors, I kw its neva easy serving pple. I jux hope something is done abt this n fast.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by datigbogirl: 7:24am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

Your comment demonstrates a lack of basic English comprehension. I don't blame you but the Nigerian educational system.

SMH...no wonder everyone is just bashing you left right centre...your thinking is off tangent.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by bayulll011(m): 7:25am On Mar 24, 2016
sofadj:
I own a hospital in Southwest- (not Osun state Nigeria ...lol). I currently have about 17 patients on my ward each

When you say not osun state what's the meaning of that?,I won't criticize your new policy,it is true that you need money to run your hospital,no light,no water and other amenities,I understand you perfectly well Doc,but in ur write up I can see a tone of regret somewhere,knowing fully well that you can save the life of that woman and you let it passed,I won't judge you typical human being.

Doc how do you feel when that woman died,you feel rejected I can say,you realise that woman has gone to journey of no return,she's dead and never coming back again,one way or the other you have contributed to her early departures from this pathetic sinful world.

Doc do u know that this can stand against you,when you think you ve have done all the good things in life,live a wonderful life,happy and fulfilled destiny,then when you died and there is something like this stood on your way to paradise,forgive me if am too religious.

Doc do u know that simply stabilizer would have save you the guilty conscience you are passing through now,stabilize next victims when you know they can't pay and then send them to government hospital,by this simple actions you are free of all guilt and heaven will gladly reward you.

Finally Doc,did you goverment ? Lol don't make me laugh,since when did government of this nations shows they are responsible? Forget government this sets of leaders we have are not human,they will not help us in this nation,we are the one who will help ourselves,Enough said doc you know what to do
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Karlovich: 7:54am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

See what 'am talking about? I guess you've not only got mosquito brain, but a dysfunctional one infected with the zika virus. You think I care about your nationality? I don't. And, for your information, whilst everything is wrong with the Nigerian state, there is nothing wrong with being a Nigerian.
the earlier you visit a psychiatrist the better for you, it's obvious you have no idea about the medical profession for u to make such ignorant statement you did which I pointed out. Have a nice day
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by wataja: 8:45am On Mar 24, 2016
Pathetic.

Post your free adverts on www.wataja.com
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by iomoge2(f): 8:49am On Mar 24, 2016
It's quite painful.

Imagine the one that had d money and absconded.

Won't they give birth to second n third child?

God!
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Nobody: 8:54am On Mar 24, 2016
KweenSisan:
Well..uve said d truth...buh is just...piple dnt always act d same way..deres still gonna b a group of rich guys who wud prolly wanna pay more...dose who genuinly value deir health..money could also come frm dere

U saying the rich should be exploited to cover up for ppl who just deliberately refuse to pay up their bills? undecided

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lebienconnu: 8:58am On Mar 24, 2016
@ op

I know you still feel some guilt because you are a good person and I do not envy you at all.

I think I am going to concentrate more on diagnosis and medical devices technology when I finish in the medical school . I am a very emotional person and as such, do not think I can survive that situation.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 24, 2016
dexpotter:
You have a right judgement. But should the latter be punished for the sins of those that came before them? What if u were not a doc n ur wife or mother fall into similar situation n u are not dere 2 hlp financially @ dat moment??

U don't get it. The truth is that,most often,these ppl can afford to raise the money someway,somehow...but the minute they are no longer feeling the pangs of death close,they simply want to avoid paying up their bills.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Gkemz: 8:59am On Mar 24, 2016
I managed to finish your lengthy writeup so at to come up with own judgement. Though as pathetic as your experience might sound and i wouldn't want to criticise anyone but you could have done better. You sworn an oat to protect lives. Doctors are regarded as saviours among all profession it's the most dedicated. When it comes to life and death, you may have to defer or hold back your personal interest. Yes you have to consider your financial need but finally you still have to put yourself under their condition especially the emergency patients that needed urgent attention. It's not as if you're doing charity because they'd surely pay but don't present bills that would be too hard on your patients considering the present economic crises. Medical bills don't have to be that expensive. Saving lives should be every doctor's uttermost priority. Without boasting, my dad, a medical practitioner and retired UNTH lecturer who had practiced for more than 35yrs has never lost any patient because he valued his patient's life and of course his reputation before money. Most times leaves the house at midnight and had once sustained injury following an armed robbery attack on his way to attend to a patient in critical condition. So finally Medicine is a selfless profession kind of missionary. You must be called to serve, not to be served....

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Arike2015(f): 9:01am On Mar 24, 2016
I used to think like you at a time, dear OP. Until I had a terrible experience with a Malaria misdiagnosis and the very hospital system which I believed in failed me.

Now, I work as an advocate for #UHC4AllNigerians with the belief that the change we need can only happen One Community at a Time.

In my work, I have learnt a lot of things from the villagers and I am learning that until we address the fundamental rot in the system, a lot of things will not change.

Patients do not present promptly to the hospital because of extremely high Out of Pocket costs . You are right to talk about a need for reforms in the National Health Insurance Scheme's running template. Until that happens though, I believe we will get some gains if we as healthcare workers continue to do all in our power to help the system work

Do not blame the person who bought cows to celebrate the naming ceremony of the baby... A lot of times, people prefer to borrow you money for parties instead of borrowing you money for paying healthcare bills. The logic they have is that there are no guarantees that the treatment would work and they can ask for their money back. But, for a party, the investment is usually recouped even before the party is over.

Don't forget parties and celebrations satisfy a very vital need on the Abraham Maslow's hierachy of needs...

I hope you will consider joining the #UHC4AllNigerians drive. It simply means advocating for and supporting efforts to ensure that Universal HealthCoverage For all Nigerians become a reality. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by snthesis(m): 9:01am On Mar 24, 2016
dear doctors, the solution is simple

....outsource your debt recovery

get the patient to sign the fees prior to treatment (get all the personal details as well i.e address place of work etc), if he/she fails to honor the agreement, simply hand over the case to debt recovery agents (consider them as modern day bounty hunters)- this agent should collect your fees plus a % for doing the dirty work. the % will be borne by the patient ofcourse. its a win -win situation.
and for the business minded folks- its a bizness opportunity to set urself up as a debt recovery agency... awoof money especially if you are a tout already grin grin grin just make sure you have legal backing.

cc: sofadj , ericlove4all , claremont , glossy6

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Who Beat Cancer Shares Her Before And After Photos / I'm About 3 Weeks Pregnant. How Do I Get Rid Of It? / Hard Drugs Affect Man Who Couldn't Get A Job In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.