Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! (8433 Views)

What Most African Perform Online As Culture / Bristow Helo Crashed Because Govt Doesn't Appease Sea Goddess – Oba / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Amobi1(m): 11:34pm On Nov 08, 2006
Well, i have been embarassed several time by my fellow african people;
Most of the time if i see them and reach out to them, and ask them i you from africa, they will start lying,;Do i look like an african,Blablabla. how do you regonize am from Africa, na waoh!!this has happen several times in different ways.
So to make this matter short have you experience any of this. b/c i know my African people are the most beautifull people in the whole world(deep down in my heart). Although we are being blackmail by the media alot.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Hotstepper(f): 1:51am On Nov 09, 2006
datz opposite of me. I hate when ppl tell me dat I don't look African, I get diz almost everyday

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by jammin(m): 2:57am On Nov 09, 2006
when i was growing up people ask me if am from Nigeria. could'nt understand why. but i usually say yes. was proud to be associated that way.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Akinagirl(f): 3:01am On Nov 09, 2006
Its cool to look african, why do ppl get upset, its quite sad.
Good question
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 4:08pm On Nov 09, 2006
why do some people get upset because they look african.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Free(f): 7:28pm On Nov 09, 2006
ahahahaha

well is all insecurities,
i dnt know why anyone wouldnt be happy to be an African

maybe is because dey ashamed undecided
cuz da white man saids africans are monkeys
so dey dnt wnt to be associated with that

ya zard! grin
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 8:24pm On Nov 09, 2006
Really? Like hotstepper, I get upset when people tell me I don't look african. When I ask them to guess I'm from they usually say 'Jamaica'. And my accent doesn't help things angry

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by CrazyMan(m): 8:32pm On Nov 09, 2006
It's the ladies.
they love being so western.
that's why when most of them go overseas, they change their naitve names
so you won't be able to identify them as africians.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Eurphoria(f): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2006
nah, i don't think most people are not happy to look african. some not most. Me i am very very proud to be african. The reason i think some don't is insecurities, complexes etc down to either the modern day acceptable meaning of beauty and because some people come from families where they have deep rooted issues with their colour down to colonisation etc.

see perfect example here now. No offense to Jamaicans but i wont jump for joy to be mistake for one, at the end of the day, if its a blk jamaican, ofcourse an african will share similarities in look,many black ppl do regardless of where there are born. I hear ppl say ''oh i am mistaken for jamaican'' or they say ''ppl say i look mixed''. errm i wonder to myself so wat? i think ppl who thrive on such remarks have issues with thier skin too.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 1:26am On Nov 10, 2006
you have a good point there Euphoria
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 3:01am On Nov 10, 2006
But we africans have everything to be proud of! Why would I want to change my name to conform? Some people say they use their 'English names' abroad so people fnd it easier to pronounce. Tell you what - when the whiteman came to us, he did not change his 'Gilbert' and 'Ben' to 'Ifesinachi' and 'Oluwatayo' to make it easier for us to pronounce so why should we? And how do they (down here) know I'm not having trouble pronouncing their names anyways? Well I'm sticking with my native name regardless of what anyone thinkis!

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Uche2nna(m): 3:11am On Nov 10, 2006
You are damn right.When I first came here some couple of months i had a choice of going by UCHENNA or by my English name.I chose my native name.I figured that if this guys start calling me by my English name then I would have ,amongst other things, lost a part of my identity.Also it gave me a thrill to see my proffessors biting thier tongues trying to pronounce my name correctly.serves them right for all the academic stress they have been putting manpikin thru grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Akinagirl(f): 6:04am On Nov 10, 2006
Man, its greatto see people are proud to be what they are! I am Jamaican, and proud of it, but i know my people came form Afriaca too, there is nothing work with it, be proud of it. Nad yes it is funny seeing professors struggle with the names grin
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by BlackMamba(m): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2006
I have a long and winding Igbo name that stands out like neon light in any environment. I love it so much because it draws attention to me in a highly competitive market and enables me showcase my talent.
I crave for people to associate me to Africa because it quickly helps to dispel the negative stereotype of Africans. At times haters will call me African in a derogatory manner. I don't get mad because I can see through their frustration that I don't conform to their pre-conceived negative idea of Africans.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2006
yea you are right. somethings they just dont understand why a "bloody African" would be smarter than them.

Thats one of the reason why i support all these yahoo yahoo boys. see how they use the stupid oyinbo people them head.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by jammin(m): 9:23pm On Nov 10, 2006
candylips i would suggest you get off that particular high horse. "smart" is demonstrative. you should be able to show your "smart" in achievements. a significant amount of the ego trip i see here is about intelligence and intellect. i always say give me the person that achieve over the guy that is telling me he is smarter.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 10:40pm On Nov 10, 2006
i have used a very simple classic example.
How is it so easy for an African to dupe a White man of all his life savings just by some form of manipulative persuation.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Amobi1(m): 12:17am On Nov 11, 2006
candylips:

How is it so easy for an African to dupe a White man of all his life savings just by some form of manipulative persuation.
Because their greedy.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 12:27am On Nov 11, 2006
candylips:

No offence intended but if that is your idea of being smart, then you are one bleeped up person. I don't know what social paradigms you have adopted that have made you this way but you are seriously bleeped, brother. Whether you sort yourself out or not is up to you.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by WesleyanA(f): 12:40am On Nov 11, 2006
probably because people associate being african with being primitive and africans don't want that.
At least I wouldn't want that.
So, It probably depends on  your level of confidence.
some people are proud to be/look African.
If you've been hanging out with people who think Africa's filled with some primates and elephants  they might influence your thinking or hurt your self esteem. and you won't be proud to tell others you're african.

@Uche2nna, I've corrected people so many times on how to correctly pronounce my name it's not even funny. I've gone by a nickname since i was born but it doesn't hurt to be able to pronounce the full name does it? lol cheesy
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 1:02am On Nov 11, 2006
naijacutee:

No offence intended but if that is your idea of being smart, then you are one bleeped up person. I don't know what social paradigms you have adopted that have made you this way but you are seriously bleeped, brother. Whether you sort yourself out or not is up to you.

No offence ment and yet you call me a bleeped up person.
I was merely giving an example which people can relate to and if you do not agree you should have brought out your point not calling me a bleeped up person.

Well i don't have anything to say to you because you have shown how primitive you are
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2006
candylips:

No offence ment and yet you call me a bleeped up person.
I was merely giving an example which people can relate to and if you do not agree you should have brought out your point not calling me a bleeped up person.

Well i don't have anything to say to you because you have shown how primitive you are
Ok, for calling you a bleeped up person, maybe I should say that is one bleeped up mentality.It's just that there is no middle ground here. Whatever the case may be, whatever the situation, it is WRONG to dupe people, and I cannot see any rational person classifying that as smartness.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2006
Spare me your moral lectures abeg angry.

I know it is wrong but we are citeing examples here duhh
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by iice(f): 6:30pm On Nov 11, 2006
Well na dem sabi if dem no wan look like african. I may look like different things, people have even asked me if i have indian blood but am like dude am African no two ways about it.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Amobi1(m): 1:53am On Nov 12, 2006
iice:

Well na them sabi if them no wan look like african. I may look like different things, people have even asked me if i have indian blood but am like dude am African no two ways about it.
Lol! please put up your picture, you look indian?

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 10:04pm On Nov 12, 2006
candylips:

Spare me your moral lectures abeg angry.

I know it is wrong but we are citeing examples here duhh
I know you are citing examples but duping people is not okay, it's still WRONG. Its an example, but it's still not okay.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by katherinae(f): 10:12pm On Nov 12, 2006
hotstepper

do u wear those shoes together with one outfit
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 12:43am On Nov 13, 2006
naijacutee:

I know you are citing examples but duping people is not okay, it's still WRONG. Its an example, but it's still not okay.

Like i said i do not want any moral lectures here. If you have any examples to give bleeping give it. else shut your mouth
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by naijacutee(f): 9:18pm On Nov 13, 2006
candylips:

Like i said i do not want any moral lectures here. If you have any examples to give bleeping give it. else shut your mouth
I do not wish to dissapoint you but alas it's a free world now. You still don't understand what I'm saying. I totally understand that you were giving an example, but that example is coming from a socially conditioned mentality. I'm saying this without prejudice to you. How can you, a so-called rational  human being, say on a public board that it is smart to dupe people out of their savings? I beg to differ. Truth be told, it is not smart, it is WRONG. There is no middle ground, no negotiation involved, no attempt to buy into the idea, it is point-blank WRONG. This isn't about morality lectres. This is about simple facts of life that just need a little bit of common sense to figure out.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by candylips(m): 2:58am On Nov 14, 2006
naijacutee:

I do not wish to dissapoint you but alas it's a free world now. You still don't understand what I'm saying. I totally understand that you were giving an example, but that example is coming from a socially conditioned mentality. I'm saying this without prejudice to you. How can you, a so-called rational human being, say on a public board that it is smart to dupe people out of their savings? I beg to differ. Truth be told, it is not smart, it is WRONG. There is no middle ground, no negotiation involved, no attempt to buy into the idea, it is point-blank WRONG. This isn't about morality lectres. This is about simple facts of life that just need a little bit of common sense to figure out.

Now that is you own opinion which i totally understand and in expressing you opinion you don't have to abuse other people in the process. You are talking of Rational Human beigns . Now who is irrational in this context.
A rational human beign would have disagree with my point of view in a civilised and human way not going about calling me a bleeped up person.
I don't want to go offtopic here ok.If you have anything to contribute to this thread please do else lipsrsealed
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by iice(f): 12:54pm On Nov 14, 2006
Amobi 1:

Lol! please put up your picture, you look indian?

I don't look indian jare, but i have been asked a couple of times, i've also been asked if i have arabian blood too grin grin Some Africans think am Ethiopian but heck no am Nigerian and proud to be one tongue
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by jammin(m): 10:56pm On Nov 14, 2006
i gotta get me one of those!!! a bonafide nigerian girl grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Family Of Shehu Usman Dan Fodio According To His Daughter Nana Asmau (1793-1864) / Ooni Of Ife Foresees Bright Economic Future For Nigeria- Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.