Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? (43955 Views)

Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife / Lady Sacked For Not Sleeping With Her Indian Boss, Nigerians React / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by edygistvilla(m): 3:09pm On Mar 24, 2016
I recently took on a job, about few days ago (less than two weeks), as a office assistant/ Computer operator at an office located at Ojudu Berger. This is partly because I had just finished the just concluded Jamb utme examination and I was less-busy at home and I needed to develop work ethics and gain professional experiences that would be vital in future. There are TONs of stuff you have to learn while being in this position & I was doing great making photocopies, taking passports, and even helping out in typying. When we are less busy, My boss comes for a chat with my co-workers﹑ which they eagerly and actively participate but I don't. Not because I do not like my Boss or I'm avoidant, but I prefer being at peace with my thought and value my personal space. Then I noticed after few days, Her behaviour and mood towards me changed for the worse as she shouts at me and insults me if i make mistakes, Ofcourse, That's not a problem, but the hurtful part is she hurls insult on my personality. She says to me "You stand there like mumu'', 'Dondie'', 'Lookie lookie like deaf and dumb' e.t.c .
But today at work, I made a mistake with taking a passport photograph due to the fact that the pressure was much coupled with the over-crowded enivironment.She instantly got annoyed and said she can't tolerate a dull and mumu person and that I'm too dull. She said I should leave.

I was pissed because I had not been given a chance to learn everything needed to know Yet. I think this was really unfair since I was not even given a chance to improve. She said blame me for being an "observer", but she had to let me go.

I'm not sad this happen but this had triggered my incentiveness and challenged me the more. I'm even courting an idea of developing a start-up.

119 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by menix(m): 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2016
The truth is that ur introverted personality makes u look like doondi in a fast pace work place..

Secondly, ur mistakes sends the signal that u re dull which u Might not be.

Thirdly, working in an environment where inter-personal skill is required won't be ideal for your personality.

I once had a colleague like you, his dondiness made me like him cous I controlled him nd could use him to commit.
The management managed him cous they believed him coming from Badagry to apapa everyday made him dull until he got transferred to another branch were he started his 1st day with query.

187 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Pinkieblue(f): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
Welcome to the world of working with a one man show business....

Well I think the fault is entirely yours.... I am a shy person and I don't talk much in d midst of people, but I always make sure that I chip in one or two things.... laugh at both funny and dry jokes.... and force myself to be interested in what ever the group is saying.... cos trust me even if u are in the midst of your peers.... they will consider u irrelevant

Your ex boss would have thought about u as a sadist....and u know it's not good for her business. so learn your lesson now for your future jobs

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by menix(m): 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2016
My advise is that u should try building ur inter-personal skill, even if nah small cous I know it ain't easy cous am a little better than you now..

Before moving to the islands, I lived in Festac for 8yrs without a single friend, infact I noticed it when a 5yr old boy asked me "Uncle why is it that nobody visits you"...

92 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by dominique(f): 3:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
I don't think you were sacked for being introverted, your boss just didn't like you. You should be glad you're out of that unfriendly environment.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by RichYoungNigga: 3:45pm On Mar 24, 2016
I can employ you to pet my elephant.
Monthly pay is $800

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by boboLIL(m): 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2016
Be smart and agile

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by chinoify: 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Thylord(m): 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2016
Are you sure.
Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by dammytosh: 3:48pm On Mar 24, 2016
Na wa

1 Like

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Pidggin(f): 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
How old are you?

1 Like

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
Ehya .. Anyway the deed has been done so there is no use feeling sad.
Try to improve your personality and be come more sociable with your colleagues..
Goodluck man

4 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by KingAfo(m): 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
PRIDE IS BETTER THAN TIMIDITY

16 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Barayeks(m): 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
I'm guessing this got to the FP by mistake

4 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Ekugbeh(m): 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2016
I knw wah u jez passed 2ru.
1. U do things in a hurry so as 2 catch up, there by rendering things undone.
2. U r nt d type dat learns faster. Wich means nt smart. Daz y she said u r dundy.
3. U might nt b concentratin very well. Even if u do, u dnt always understand n u dnt even ask.
4. U r always sayin yes widout proferin concrete solution dat may help even frm ur crude knwledge.

Ma opinion tho.
No offense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by ShakurM(m): 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2016
You no dey talk but na only you gather write this long story...no wonder

Why you too dey do like robot, you fit dey plan coup or money laundering na why your Oga dey fear

Too much of being an extrovert or introvert is bad. Still water runs deep
angry

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Aremu01(m): 3:51pm On Mar 24, 2016
Oh no
Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by shitulawuwo: 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2016
Double wahala for dead body

1 Like

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2016
You will get another job that fit with your personality. Don't change yourself because of this. Don't be forcing yourself to talk if you don't need to. Some other organisation will be looking for this virtue, God loves the meek and gentle. Pray more

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by baby124: 3:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
In a serious work environment, being an introvert shouldn't matter. It is your productivity that should matter. If everyone is busy gisting, how does any serious work get done? She is an unserious lady and her business will soon run down.

An introvert is actually a deep thinker, and quite intelligent and creative. Your type is an asset to any organization if your talents are Channeled properly. Please look for a serious company to work for. Don't feel bad. You just worked with a shallow and dull set of people.

177 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by amdoyin82(m): 3:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
Eyaa.. U have learnt a lesson anyway.
Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by nbright: 3:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
angry
Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by olusd(m): 3:53pm On Mar 24, 2016
menix:
The truth is that ur introverted personality makes u look like doondi in a fast pace work place..

Secondly, ur mistakes sends the signal that u re dull which u Might not be.

Thirdly, working in an environment where inter-personal skill is required won't be ideal for your personality.

I once had a colleague like you, his dondiness made me like him cous I controlled him nd could use him to commit.
The management managed him cous they believed him coming from Badagry to apapa everyday made him dull until he got transferred to another branch were he started his 1st day with query.
Guy, u wicked o!

3 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Sard(m): 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
I am also an introvert and I perfectly understand your situation. I know people like us prefer to keep our space and maintain our calmness. However, from my experience of how people perceive introverts, it's easy for people to assume that you're a sadist who hates being among happy people.
My Advice: Just like I have been doing in the last few years, try as much as possible to contribute when people are discussing. You don't have to say too much, one or two lines can show people that you're not a sadist, just an introvert.
Another thing is smiling when people say funny things. Smiling does a lot than you can imagine.
You don't have to change your personality; just adapt to suit your environment. Adaptation is part of everybody's nature.
Best of luck in your future endeavour, fellow introvert.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by pretydiva(f): 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
Dis is wat introvert like us suffer from. Na by force to talk/join in a conversation ni undecided

28 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Ada9103(f): 3:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
I know how you feel. Used to be like that but now shocked
Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by DisGuy: 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sorry about your situation, hopefully you will learn from it

Being at peace with your own thought works well at home and in your break time, but at work, you should try to be engaging; even if you don't like talking, make others talk the talk just keep asking them questions most especially about things they like or enjoy- make them talk about themselves nothing too deep- their phones, their cars, their expertise

Good luck

9 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by Hawlahscho(m): 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2016
Eeya... I know the feeling.

The only reason I keep quiet sometimes is because if I start talking shocked it takes a proper care before I stop , 1000 words per minute sad

Sorry guy, just learn to talk and interact when necessary.

6 Likes

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by pweetychyka(f): 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2016
edygistvilla:
I recently took on a job, about few days ago (less than two weeks), as a office assistant/ Computer operator at an office located at Ojudu Berger. This is partly because I had just finished the just concluded Jamb utme examination and I was less-busy at home and I needed to develop work ethics and gain professional experiences that would be vital in future. There are TONs of stuff you have to learn while being in this position & I was doing great making photocopies, taking passports, and even helping out in typying. When we are less busy, My boss comes for a chat with my co-workers﹑ which they eagerly and actively participate but I don't. Not because I do not like my Boss or I'm avoidant, but I prefer being at peace with my thought and value my personal space. Then I noticed after few days, Her behaviour and mood towards me changed for the worse as she shouts at me and insults me if i make mistakes, Ofcourse, That's not a problem, but the hurtful part is she hurls insult on my personality. She says to me "You stand there like mumu'', 'Dondie'', 'Lookie lookie like deaf and dumb' e.t.c .
But today at work, I made a mistake with taking a passport photograph due to the fact that the pressure was much coupled with the over-crowded enivironment.She instantly got annoyed and said she can't tolerate a dull and mumu person and that I'm too dull. She said I should leave.
I was pissed because I had not been given a chance to learn everything needed to know Yet. I think this was really unfair since I was not even given a chance to improve. She said blame me for being an "observer", but she had to let me go.
I'm not sad this happen but this had triggered my incentiveness and challenged me the more. I'm even courting an idea of developing a start-up.

Work experience number 1.

At least u can add that to your cv but den U have to improve on yourself n note that if you really want to learn anything at any work place, you have to work on the bolded....U can't learn anything new by keeping to urself

Goodluck

Any experience dat doesn't make u means dat u av not learn

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sacked Today For Being 'too Introverted', Unfair? by macaranta(m): 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2016
Just take it in your stride and improve..good thing it's pointed out now not when it was a crucial work placement.

Good luck

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Physically Challenged Person Hustling Real Hard Under The Sun In Abuja / Why N-Power Is Yet To Pay 30k October Stipend To Beneficiaries? / Equipment Used By 30 Abia Shoemakers For Training In China (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.