Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Whinny Women Unite - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whinny Women Unite (1293 Views)

Please Help Unite A Family / All Cherubim And Seraphim Now Unite / A Thread To Re-unite With Friends U Have Lost Contact (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 7:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
Gender politics suck. First, we get the whiny litany from Anne-Marie Slaughter about how this 50-speech-a-year, former policy planning director, Princeton dean and mom can’t have it all. Thanks Anne-Marie. Who has it all? Then we get this tripe from some Progressive Policy Institute woman who’s grumpy there aren’t more women at think tanks. Even at the “venerable” Brookings Institution, she moans, there aren’t too many women; but (duh) “right-wing think tanks” are the “worst offenders.” We “look like the membership of Augusta National.” Oh please. I won’t speak for Heritage, but at AEI, we don’t give a damn what your gender or your color is; we don’t care how you put on your pants in the morning, whether you wear a skirt, or if you once played French horn in a Barcelona band. (OK, that’s unacceptable.)“We care about the work people do, the quality of the product, the difference we can make in Washington and for the nation.” -Danielle Pletka

We care about the work people do, the quality of the product, the difference we can make in Washington and for the nation. We don’t set aside seats for women any more than we set aside seats for women in our Congress. Why are some people so obsessed with counting up their seats? What do they think they’re missing? Would they rather be women in Rwanda, the Seychelles, Angola, or Belarus — all cited by our PPI accuser as having more women in government than the rotten old U.S. of A? Are we going to be better served by more women economists? More chicks in foreign policy? More high heels pondering the education mess? Tell me, what are you looking for here except more entitlements, more special treatment, more set asides, more demeaning quotas?

Who wants to be hired because she is a woman? I’ll tell you: A woman who knows she isn’t the best for the job and is looking for preferential treatment. You want to work here at AEI? Great. Send me your awesome resume, show me your platinum degrees, hand over your testimony, your writing, and your collection of super op-eds. Oh, don’t have that? Then sit down, and shut up.

http://www.aei.org/publication/whiny-women-unite/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 7:14pm On Mar 24, 2016
1 100% agree with Danielle on this.

Putting women in positions based on gender or filling a quota only says the woman can't get there on a free and fair competition.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by Hafyz23(m): 7:20pm On Mar 24, 2016
....Where women see themselves as second individual,waiting on men to do thing for them.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
bukatyne:

Putting women in positions based on gender or filling a quota only says the woman can't get there on a free and fair competition.

...sounds logical to me too...proffering jobs to individuals; no matter the gender, or appointment to high offices should be governed by meritocracy, and meritocracy alone...
Re: Whinny Women Unite by buggaboo: 9:14pm On Mar 24, 2016
bukatyne:

What if women actually can't get into some positions on a free and fair competition? Should they then be completely ignored?
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 10:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
buggaboo:

What if women actually can't get into some positions on a free and fair competition? Should they then be completely ignored?

Do you have examples of constraints in mind?
Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 25, 2016
I guess OP is becoming a misogynist. All those in support of the fraudulent Gender Equality Bill should be made to read this. You're either good enough or you aren't.

buggaboo:

Then the decision in their favour should be to institute a free and fair competitive environment, not hand them freebies.

1 Like

Re: Whinny Women Unite by crackhaus: 9:10am On Mar 25, 2016
It be like say some of these feminist--there-must-be-gender-equality women don begin to get sense oo...

3 Likes

Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 25, 2016
crackhaus:
It be like say some of these feminist--there-must-be-gender-equality women don begin to get sense oo...

Sense? We'll see about that when it comes to nuanced opinions not copy-and-paste regurgitation.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by lilmax(m): 10:08am On Mar 25, 2016
Bukatyne is somebody I cannot understand , or do you walk with the spirit? grin
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 10:33am On Mar 25, 2016
lilmax:
Bukatyne is somebody I cannot understand , or do you walk with the spirit? grin

Which one be spirit matter again?

You don't understand my moniker how?
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 10:55am On Mar 25, 2016
darkenedrebel:

...sounds logical to me too...proffering jobs to individuals; no matter the gender, or appointment to high offices should be governed by meritocracy, and meritocracy alone...

Double post
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 10:56am On Mar 25, 2016
darkenedrebel:

True.

It would help people sit up and push them beyond their initial limits.

It also gives a certain joy that 'I worked for this'.

Not ruling out favour & grace.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 10:58am On Mar 25, 2016
Timbuktou:
I guess OP is becoming a misogynist. All those in support of the fraudulent Gender Equality Bill should be made to read this. You're either good enough or you aren't.

Then the decision in their favour should be to institute a free and fair competitive environment, not hand them freebies.

Unable to read the GEB so can't comment on that.

@Second paragraph, true.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 11:03am On Mar 25, 2016
crackhaus:

I just think you have been blind all the while.

This has always been my stance on quota systems.

Welcome to the light.

2 Likes

Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 11:04am On Mar 25, 2016
Timbuktou:

Sense? We'll see about that when it comes to nuanced opinions not copy-and-paste regurgitation.

And I will post and state I agree if this is not my stance?

How wise of you.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 25, 2016
bukatyne:

Unable to read the GEB so can't comment on that.

@Second paragraph, true.

Well, the summary of it is everywhere even on nairaland. I'm sure a quick Google consultation will point you in the right direction.

Of course, I speaks nuffin but troof.

bukatyne:

And I will post and state I agree if this is not my stance?

How wise of you.

Thanks, hun. I do try hard to be wise.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by TooNoisy(f): 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
bukatyne:

There is some value in diversity. Merit is great but sometimes when decision making is made by people with a similar background or view, then you may not get the best views.

Even in the most developed countries, they insist on a level of diversity. The real value such women bring to boards, management, etc is just diversity.

1 Like

Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2016
TooNoisy:

There is some value in diversity. Merit is great but sometimes when decision making is made by people with a similar background or view, then you may not get the best views.

Even in the most developed countries, they insist on a level of diversity. The real value such women bring to boards, management, etc is just diversity.

Hello TooNoisy, I'd have to disagree with you here. Gender Diversity is a fluff concept devoid of substance. After all, who's to say which woman/women should be sent to represent all other women. What criteria would be employed in this person? Do you just go pick any woman, do you pick the woman you know, do you pick the best woman? How do you pick?

What is necessary is Intellectual Diversity, a by-product of merit, here the deciding factor would be superior argument rather than feelings. When this diversity you advocate is established, you stifle merit, productivity and efficiency.

Europe is currently biting their fingers at the diversity mantra, let's not be too swift to copy these guys. The author also notes that even though Angola has more diveristy in parliament than the US, the general society is worse, even for women. One quick fact: women in Nigeria were able to cast votes decades before their Belgian counterparts. Does that mean Nigerian women have it better than Belgian women?

5 Likes

Re: Whinny Women Unite by Dheartless: 1:15pm On Mar 25, 2016
Timbuktou:

Hello TooNoisy, I'd have to disagree with you here. Gender Diversity is a fluff concept devoid of substance. After all, who's to say which woman/women should be sent to represent all other women. What criteria would be employed in this person?

What is necessary is Intellectual Diversity, a by-product of merit, here the deciding factor would be superior argument rather than feelings.

Take note that when this diversity to advocate is established, you stifle merit, productivity and efficiency.
nice one
Re: Whinny Women Unite by TooNoisy(f): 2:01pm On Mar 25, 2016
Timbuktou:

Hello TooNoisy, I'd have to disagree with you here. Gender Diversity is a fluff concept devoid of substance. After all, who's to say which woman/women should be sent to represent all other women. What criteria would be employed in this person? Do you just go pick any woman, do you pick the woman you know, do you pick the best woman? How do you pick?

What is necessary is Intellectual Diversity, a by-product of merit, here the deciding factor would be superior argument rather than feelings. When this diversity you advocate is established, you stifle merit, productivity and efficiency.

Europe is currently biting their fingers at the diversity mantra, let's not be too swift to copy these guys. The author also notes that even though Angola has more diveristy in parliament than the US, the general society is worse, even for women. One quick fact: women in Nigeria were able to cast votes decades before their Belgian counterparts. Does that mean Nigerian women have it better than Belgian women?

Intellectual diversity you talk of sometimes comes from Gender diversity. Sometimes merit can be difficult to measure in absolute terms. If you want to choose a board member for a cooperation, there may be many people who are qualified for the job. Sometimes companies choose based on gender based on the diversity they can bring. I am not talking of bringing any woman from the street, however if a board consists of 10 members and they are all men and they want to bring in another member. They interview and find a man and a woman who are both qualified to fill the role, then adding a woman may bring diversity without compromising merit! It is wisdom!

1 Like

Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 25, 2016
TooNoisy:

Intellectual diversity you talk of sometimes comes from Gender diversity. Sometimes merit can be difficult to measure in absolute terms. If you want to choose a board member for a cooperation, there may be many people who are qualified for the job. Sometimes companies choose based on gender based on the diversity they can bring. I am not talking of bringing any woman from the street, however if a board consists of 10 members and they are all men and they want to bring in another member. They interview and find a man and a woman who are both qualified to fill the role, then adding a woman may bring diversity without compromising merit! It is wisdom!

If you aren't just picking any woman off the street and are using the most qualified woman, then the most qualified woman better be able to hold her own against the most qualified men. It is unjust for a man who scored 70% marks on criteria to be excluded from being rewarded while welding on a woman who manages 60% for the aim of diversity. That already defeats the purpose of competition and instituting said criteria in the first place. After all, the purpose of criteria and competition is to determine suitability and value.

Therefore, if a diverse group wants to be included in any situation, they better prove that they deserve to be there. All you have to do is look at our education sector in this country and see the direct result of quota system. Also, companies hiring female executives is hardly a matter of just having women in an abstract arbitrary sense. If it is not as a result of government policy, re: affirmative action, it's because whichever woman is employed is deemed suitable for the aims and purposes of said company and they find her services valuable to them. Don't forget, one doesn't need to be a board member to sit in on or contribute at board meetings. Etc, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Whinny Women Unite by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
Sense...
Re: Whinny Women Unite by crackhaus: 9:30pm On Mar 25, 2016
Timbuktou:

Tehehehehe...

bukatyne:

I just think you have been blind all the while.

This has always been my stance on quota systems.

Welcome to the light.
Tehehehehe... grin
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2016
TooNoisy:

I agree with you that diversity is very important and helps in decision making.

However, I think the quota system would not let people appreciate the true potential of the woman and the woman herself would not appreciate the position.
Re: Whinny Women Unite by bukatyne(f): 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2016
TooNoisy:

I get you now.

@ Bold: this is not really quota as the woman is also qualified.

(1) (Reply)

Omg!! See Where This Children Are Taking Their Bath (see Photo) / Can I Register At The Marriage Registry Ikoyi In The Absence Of My Wife? / Man Locks His Wife Indoors On The Day Of Her Medical School Final Year Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.