Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Thread For Maize Farmers - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Thread For Maize Farmers (25744 Views)

Maize Farmers, You Have To Read This Testimony / Maize Farmers Come In Here / Calling The Attention Of All Maize Farmers And Suppliers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
The hand-driven maize planter is proving to be a good option...Again, farmer is still busy. Pictures coming soonest
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by orpeeh: 4:46pm On Apr 17, 2016
Weldone boss, can one still plant toward the end of April?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by chinawapz(m): 5:49pm On Apr 17, 2016
this will help you to handle the risk of loss in agricultural business http://agrobalm.com/can-minimize-risk-loss-agricultural-business/
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 11:18pm On Apr 17, 2016
Hello, Now the pictures are coming in bits.
After land acquisition and bulldozer clearing, ploughing the land is next. For us at Hastom, what was required of us is just to clear and plough the the land.
The pictures below shed more light on that. We are using one our tractors FIAT 666, very rugged!!!
Averagely this tractor works on 8-10acres per day.

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 7:42am On Apr 18, 2016
orpeeh:
Weldone boss, can one still plant toward the end of April?

Yes you can still plant.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 1:06pm On Apr 18, 2016
Molayan:
Pls how many marketable corn/ear is achievable on 1ha of land
Five tons of maize per hectare is achievable under best practices.
....sorry for late response.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 1:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
jephito:
Hello Hotmas911,
I intend to plant maize in my cassava farm like I have earlier said in one of my comment.
I am depending solely on natural water (rain) to cultivate the maize and now it hasn't rained here for over a week now. Though I'm yet to plant the cassava, will it make sense if I plan to the maize after perhaps one rainfall or when is right?

Hello sorry for late response.
Am sure by now the rain issue should be different.
So have you planted your maize?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ifarms in partnership with uregista company is using this medium to annouce the agricultural freedom project which is Part of our promises towards improving Agricultural production in Nigeria, we have launched Agricultural Freedom Project (AFP) for as many that are interested in Agriculture. AFP will be coordinated at the state level in each AFP state.
This project comes with 3 schemes towards creating job opportunities, more production, food security and to sustain our economy through the sector.
We hereby implore everyone to register as a member of the team as
A producer
An intending producer
A marketer
A trainer
A student
This project covers both animal and crop farming.
AFP involves farming on at minimum of 20 acres of land in each AFP state with necessary provision for the members. It also involves training members and non-members towards getting the best and quality yield in their production.
AFP will also make marketing of the produce harvested easy as AFP will take sole responsibility of the marketing.
AFP also involves Agricultural Seminar called AFP Talk-Show, this is a scheme that will hold in the universities to create awareness for the need to cause agricultural revolution in the Country.
Visit afp.com.ng for more information and registration.

Urgent Vacancy in AFP:
State directors and asst Directors. We want to use this opportunity to call on interested persons to apply for the position of state director (Male) and Asst Director (Female) by sending CV only to info@afp.com.ng with the state you are representing as the subject.
Req: must posses good communication skill, must be ready to begin work immediately, must be a registered member of the AFP team, must have passion for Agriculture, must posses good leadership skill, Must be ready to face challenges and must be ready to travel.
Application for the position closes on saturday 22nd of April.
AFP states are: Oyo, Ondo, Edo, Ekiti, Osun, Lagos, Delta and Ogun.

Afp wishes to inform the general public about her seminar / talk show which will be focusing on the needs revolutionise agriculture in nigeria _ date :06th may 2016, venue: firstbank building,faculty of agriculture,University of Ibadan.
Gate Fee = Free
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Molayan: 4:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
hotmas911:

Five tons of maize per hectare is achievable under best practices.

....sorry for late response.
I mean average no of corn not tonne. Corn dat are roast and boil on d Road. How many no of d corns can be derive averagely on 1hectare. Thanks
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by jephito(m): 6:45pm On Apr 18, 2016
hotmas911:

Hello sorry for late response.
Am sure by now the rain issue should be different.
So have you planted your maize?
The rain has come but I'm still thinking it's not enough though I have planted.

My farm is over an acre (about 8plots). The market is just my concern yet. I have not actually done maize on a large scale before. So, what are the best marketing strategies
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:39pm On Apr 18, 2016
jephito:

The rain has come but I'm still thinking it's not enough though I have planted.

My farm is over an acre (about 8plots). The market is just my concern yet. I have not actually done maize on a large scale before. So, what are the best marketing strategies

You have several options which include
1-direct sales in local markets close to you.
2- you can sell to a feed mill(it is better)
3-you can process it abit and sell to livestock farmers.

All the best.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 6:18am On Apr 19, 2016
SEED PREPARATION AND PLANTING:
After the the land has been ploughed, the next thing is to plant considering the fact that rain has began. There are several companies that produces pre-treated hybrid seeds but we using OBA98 for this season.
ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD know about is the way we were able to reduce the cost of fertilizer by TREATING OUR SEEDS with a chemical that increases the drought resistant ability of the crop and also eliminate the use of NPK fertilizer.

PLANTING:
Obviously, our planting is done through the hand-driven seed planter which is very fast and easy to use.

PLANTING SPACING:
We are planting with 25 by 75cm spacing.

WEED CONTROL:
I will give you the gist in few hours

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by abiodunolarinre(m): 8:58am On Apr 19, 2016
hotmas911:
After the the land has been ploughed, the next thing is to plant considering the fact that rain has began. There are several companies that produces pre-treated hybrid seeds but we using OBA98 for this season.
ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD know about is the way we were able to reduce the cost of fertilizer by TREATING OUR SEEDS with a chemical that increases the drought resistant ability of the crop and also eliminate the use of NPK fertilizer.

PLANTING:
Obviously, our planting is done through the hand-driven seed planter which is very fast and easy to use.

PLANTING SPACING:
We are planting with 50 by 25cm spacing.

WEED CONTROL:

Wow, this is revealing especially the elimination of npk.What chemical is it and do you sell it?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by abiodunolarinre(m): 12:41pm On Apr 19, 2016
hotmas911:

PLANTING:

PLANTING SPACING:
We are planting with 50 by 25cm spacing.

WEED CONTROL:

In some hours you said
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by sobande: 6:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
Good day good people...am a new farmer with an acre of last to work with.....the land is located somewhere in mowe ofada...now my issue is this.
i am considering maximising the land....am thinking of planting maize and something else for my 1st season...i need a candid advice on what product i can plant along side the maize,and also the best type of maize to plant and the quantity ill need for an acre...thanks for anticipated response..
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by eljur: 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hello @hotmas911. We are following your posts with great interest, thank you for sharing your experience with us all!

We are first time (but very keen & enthusiastic) farmers! We are about to lease 10acres of land (good land, close to water spring etc, close by Abeokuta) and we intent on planting maize on it.

We have few questions, we know you are very busy right now but still hope you can help:

* soil test - shall we do that beforehand and what is the best soil for maize crops?

* to clear the land and all other formalities means we are looking at planting towards the end of May. Is that a good period still since the rains will have increased?

* seeds and fertilization. You mentioned you treat the seeds to reduce the use of fertilizer. Will be grateful if you share your experience on this in more detail, what chemical do you use and how it is done?
We will likely outsource the planting etc but I must understand the process fully first so I am able to follow up on what is being done and if it is being done correctly.

Thank you and God bless.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:31pm On Apr 19, 2016
eljur:
Hello @hotmas911. We are following your posts with great interest, thank you for sharing your experience with us all!

We are first time (but very keen & enthusiastic) farmers! We are about to lease 10acres of land (good land, close to water spring etc, close by Abeokuta) and we intent on planting maize on it.

We have few questions, we know you are very busy right now but still hope you can help:

* soil test - shall we do that beforehand and what is the best soil for maize crops?

* to clear the land and all other formalities means we are looking at planting towards the end of May. Is that a good period still since the rains will have increased?

* seeds and fertilization. You mentioned you treat the seeds to reduce the use of fertilizer. Will be grateful if you share your experience on this in more detail, what chemical do you use and how it is done?
We will likely outsource the planting etc but I must understand the process fully first so I am able to follow up on what is being done and if it is being done correctly.

Thank you and God bless.

Good to hear from you,
As for late planting-the truth is it is risky but going by the weather predictions for this year,you may stand a chance of success.
It is good you do soil test but basically so far you are not planting on clay or extremely sandy soil you are safe.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 5:20am On Apr 20, 2016
Good morning farmers

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by sobande: 11:33am On Apr 20, 2016
sobande:
Good day good people...am a new farmer with an acre of last to work with.....the land is located somewhere in mowe ofada...now my issue is this.
i am considering maximising the land....am thinking of planting maize and something else for my 1st season...i need a candid advice on what product i can plant along side the maize,and also the best type of maize to plant and the quantity ill need for an acre...thanks for anticipated response..
@hotmas911...or anyone
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 12:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
sobande:

Well done,
You can try cassava with your maize after some weeks.We are planting OBA 98.
For an hectare of land I.e. 2.47acres, you will need about 20kg of maize grain.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:26pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hello, how has our day been?

WEED CONTROL::::
Weed control in modern day farming should not be stressfull as their are several techniques of doing it with ease.

1-For maize in particular you can take the advantage of close spacing like 75*25cm. By the time the plant is growing taller it will form canopy which invariable will not encourage growth of weeds.

2---There are weed control chemicals(herbicides) that kills weed once and for all throughout the maize growing season. It is even so interesting that for maize, there are chemicals that will kill all other plant except maize plant.

etc.

Pictures soon pls
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by greenmind(m): 8:41am On Apr 21, 2016
These Chemicals have no negative impact on the soil? Soon or Later?

hotmas911:

2---There are weed control chemicals(herbicides) that kills weed once and for all throughout the maize growing season. It is even so interesting that for maize, there are chemicals that will kill all other plant except maize plant.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 12:35pm On Apr 21, 2016
greenmind:

These Chemicals have no negative impact on the soil? Soon or Later?

That was so thoughtful of you.
Generally chemical usage has adverse effect on farmlands that's why the use of fertilizer will never come to an end in agriculture.

But for us on our farm we already have plans in motion towards organic farming so as to reduce the use of synthetic chemical and also add value to the crops.

Another option that may be considered is shift cultivation in which after a while nutrient fixing crops will be planted on farmland that has undergone so much chemical application.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Faber(m): 3:25pm On Apr 21, 2016
Thank you very much us for guiding us newbies in this journey@hotmas911.

Oga my major problem, is this weed factor. You suggested two methods viz: Cultural and Chemical method. As regards the chemical method, I would like you to intimate us on the fol:
*the type of chemical to use(if possible the name).
*the time to apply it. (i.e whether it is before planting, after planting or after the seeds germinate)

I hope I am not bothering you by asking too much. God bless you sir as we await your reply.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by webhostbiz: 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2016
well done. we can feed the nation if we all try to farm. pls what herbicides can be used that will not affect the all ready grown maize. thank you.
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 9:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
Faber:
Thank you very much us for guiding us newbies in this journey@hotmas911.

Oga my major problem, is this weed factor. You suggested two methods viz: Cultural and Chemical method. As regards the chemical method, I would like you to intimate us on the fol:
*the type of chemical to use(if possible the name).
*the time to apply it. (i.e whether it is before planting, after planting or after the seeds germinate)

I hope I am not bothering you by asking too much. God bless you sir as we await your reply.

For the chemical method, the usage of brands of glyphosate and atrazine are recommended.
This preferably should be done a day or two before planting or before the seed germinate.
Any brand of this chemical you purchase contains direction of usage.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by exedus(m): 7:43am On Apr 22, 2016
@ hotmass911, Please how many months wil it take to harvest the maize after planting?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 8:53am On Apr 22, 2016
exedus:
@ hotmass911, Please how many months wil it take to harvest the maize after planting?
Fresh harvest is about 75-90days and dry harvest is about 120 days
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by akara(m): 9:24am On Apr 22, 2016
Good morning Oga Hotmass and profis
Another newbie question.

Whats the marker price per Tonne of Maize at the moment?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by abiodunolarinre(m): 2:37pm On Apr 22, 2016
Do you have any plan of doing cassava with your maize @ hotmas911 ?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by hotmas911(m): 6:59pm On Apr 22, 2016
Good evening farmers?
Re: Thread For Maize Farmers by Gadgetmobil(m): 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
Respect

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Is A Bag Of Cucumber / Agriculture Grants Thread / Obasanjo Hosts Chris Tucker At His Ota Farm (2011 Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.