Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows (4480 Views)

. / Cleandesktop Full Version Open Source Released / [b]Any body with a simple understanding of open source?[/b] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 7:47am On Mar 26, 2016
Recently, I realized that everytime I recharged my modem, I used just 70 percent of my data. The remaining 30 percent was usually guzzled by background processes downloading and uploading content useless to me.

Thats why I had to make this application. The, app, titled " This Nonsense Must Stop", kills any process...any process at all... that tampers with my data in the background.

You can add exceptions i.e. programs you dont want the app to close, and you can remove them when you want too.

The program, like all my other apps is completely free and open source and free of adverts (I hate that shit).

It was implemented in C# (Just because I targeted windows machines and again, c# is kinda cool), so if you know the language, you can head over to github, and do what you will mercifully with the code.

Thanks everyone. User response is gold...

4 Likes

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 10:46am On Mar 26, 2016

3 Likes

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by ALLU: 9:30pm On Mar 26, 2016
larisoft, the UI is so simple and easy to use, and also, windows is a b***!! Even IE phones home WHEN ITS NOT RUNNING.

consider adding helpful tags that run on opening the program which have the[[] do not display this message again] option to help clear any confusion. You could also speed up possible debugging/updating by enabling the user to send you a message directly without going to your email..

That way, both lazy and enthusiastic users give you feedback. Welldone once again...youve really paid your dues, done your homework.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by ALLU: 10:00pm On Mar 26, 2016
also, it makes alert noises when it blocks a process or allows one. Please enable a {turn off sound} feature. Lemme go back to rocking your app smiley
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by seunthomas: 10:33pm On Mar 26, 2016
Nice one bro. But with your experience i would recommend you go lower. Why use netstat when you can create something lightweight that provides more information to you than netstat using libraries that dissect and filter the network stack directly. I know netstat is on all windows from 98/2000 but it means you solution is less likely to port to another platform because of your dependencies. What you have created is a foundation for a very nice security product.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:25am On Mar 27, 2016
ALLU:
larisoft, the UI is so simple and easy to use, and also, windows is a b***!! Even IE phones home WHEN ITS NOT RUNNING.

consider adding helpful tags that run on opening the program which have the[[] do not display this message again] option to help clear any confusion. You could also speed up possible debugging/updating by enabling the user to send you a message directly without going to your email..

That way, both lazy and enthusiastic users give you feedback. Welldone once again...youve really paid your dues, done your homework.

ALLU, you suggestions are so cool...i just have to add them before this week runs out. The making a sound when an application is closed is ...how come i never thought of that? thanks, man.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:38am On Mar 27, 2016
seunthomas:
Nice one bro. But with your experience i would recommend you go lower. Why use netstat when you can create something lightweight that provides more information to you than netstat using libraries that dissect and filter the network stack directly. I know netstat is on all windows from 98/2000 but it means you solution is less likely to port to another platform because of your dependencies. What you have created is a foundation for a very nice security product.

Baba seunthomas, thanks so much. I will not form; I didnt know or think I could go lower than netstat; but I'm reading it up currently in preparation for a possible cross platform version (covering linux and who knows? mac). You should know I will consider working with you on any project a great experience. Your understanding of these things is just deep. Thanks again, bro.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by iceberylin(m): 11:34am On Mar 27, 2016
Lalasticlala come and see how to stop background data consumption on your laptop when moving massive cleavage threads to the front page.

5 Likes

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by Leopantro: 11:37am On Apr 06, 2016
This is a man in whom I am well pleased.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by lakefist(m): 5:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
How am i sure this your app is not collecting my data secretly?
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
lakefist:
How am i sure this your app is not collecting my data secretly?

because you can view the source code for yourself and see exactly what is going on when its going on. that's why its open source

2 Likes

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 5:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
thanks bro @leopantro
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by lakefist(m): 6:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
I will give it a try.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by websuccess(m): 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
I love open source that make sense die. It makes lives worth living.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by olatpic(m): 10:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Nice App, will give this a try..
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by emmaak2(m): 6:32am On Apr 07, 2016
SO NICE AND THIS DESERVES A FRONT PAGE
cc lalastica
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by izyericson: 7:06am On Apr 07, 2016
just downloaded
thanx. did you make one for android yet
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by paranorman(m): 9:23am On Apr 07, 2016
Oga Larisoft, how do one check if a number is even, odd, a factor e.t.c...?

I have an idea though. To check if a number is even or nor, I divide the said number by 2 and check if the solution is an integer or a floating point vaue using the gettype() function, PHP.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 12:47pm On Apr 07, 2016
emmaak2:
SO NICE AND THIS DESERVES A FRONT PAGE

cc lalastica

Thank you my brother.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 12:58pm On Apr 07, 2016
paranorman:
Oga Larisoft, how do one check if a number is even, odd, a factor e.t.c...?

I have an idea though. To check if a number is even or nor, I divide the said number by 2 and check if the solution is an integer or a floating point vaue using the gettype() function, PHP.

You use the modulus operator "%", bro. The modules operator returns the remainder from dividing a number by another. for instance
<?php
$a = 3 % 2;
echo $a; //output will be 1

$b = 2 % 2;
echo $b; //output will be 0
?>

hence any number that when divided by 2, has a remainder of 0 is even.

To check if a number is a factor of another number, you also use the modulus operator. A number is a factor of another, if the number can divide the other number without remainder.

E.g. 2 is a factor of 4. 3 is a factor of 6. Thus, by simply doing ($num1 % num2==0) you will get true if the second number is a factor of the first.

Keep coding, bro.

1 Like

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 12:59pm On Apr 07, 2016
izyericson:
just downloaded

thanx. did you make one for android yet

Will do that soon, bro. Thanks for downloading and using. Please share with friends.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by sunnyben: 4:16am On Apr 08, 2016
This is a wonderful idea, you might want to reconsider the app name though wink

1 Like

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by SupremeDimeji(m): 7:35am On Apr 08, 2016
Nice software bro, this should save lives...
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by geosilbert: 9:15am On Apr 08, 2016
larisoft:
Download link: http://tfellow.com/larisoft/nonsense_stop.zip
Github link: https://github.com/larisoft/ThisNonsenseMustStop

I need ur assistance in starting up c andc+ what do I need to install on win 8 to run the interface where I can do d coding?
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 10:02am On Apr 08, 2016
geosilbert:

I need ur assistance in starting up c andc+ what do I need to install on win 8 to run the interface where I can do d coding?

Any text editor will do. e.g. emacs, sublime_text, notepad++. This is where you will write your code.

Then you will need a compiler. This is what will convert your code to a file the computer can execute. For windows, download and install mingw from https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/ . Then when you open it, mark mingw-base, gcc++ , msys-base, and mingw-developer tools for installation.

after they have been downloaded, you will set your variable path to include the directory of your mingw installation so you can compile and run your code from the commandline without having to navigate to that directory every time.

Please, if you do not understand some of these things, just calm down and google them. Never ever give up.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 10:02am On Apr 08, 2016
SupremeDimeji:
Nice software bro, this should save lives...

Thanks, bro.
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by SupremeDimeji(m): 11:47am On Apr 08, 2016
Hey bro,
When I choose the add exception button, and I click on the dropdown menu. Nothing shows... just empty
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by larisoft: 1:42pm On Apr 08, 2016
SupremeDimeji:
Hey bro,
When I choose the add exception button, and I click on the dropdown menu. Nothing shows... just empty

Has it encountered and closed any background program at all?

the app sets the options of the exceptions by saving the names and ids of the programs it encounters in its war against background data consumption. Hence, if it has not encountered any program, it will not have any options for exceptions.

If this is the case, just make sure its running, connect to the internet and wait for it to encounter and close the programs you will like to be able to consume background data. Now, go to exceptions, you will see them there. Select and add each of them individually, and they wont be closed henceforth.

Please keep me posted.

1 Like

Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by SupremeDimeji(m): 1:44pm On Apr 08, 2016
larisoft:

Has it encountered and closed any background program at all?

the app sets the options of the exceptions by saving the names and ids of the programs it encounters in its war against background data consumption. Hence, if it has not encountered any program, it will not have any options for exceptions.

If this is the case, just make sure its running, connect to the internet and wait for it to encounter and close the programs you will like to be able to consume background data. Now, go to exceptions, you will see them there. Select and add each of them individually, and they wont be closed henceforth.

Please keep me posted.

okay, now i got it
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by geosilbert: 2:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
larisoft:

Any text editor will do. e.g. emacs, sublime_text, notepad++. This is where you will write your code.

Then you will need a compiler. This is what will convert your code to a file the computer can execute. For windows, download and install mingw from https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/ . Then when you open it, mark mingw-base, gcc++ , msys-base, and mingw-developer tools for installation.

after they have been downloaded, you will set your variable path to include the directory of your mingw installation so you can compile and run your code from the commandline without having to navigate to that directory every time.

Please, if you do not understand some of these things, just calm down and google them. Never ever give up.

Thank sir
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by geosilbert: 2:12pm On Apr 08, 2016
larisoft:

o

Can I still use d same text editor for c# and java?
Re: My New C# Open Source App Prevents Laptop Background Data Consumption On Windows by SupremeDimeji(m): 2:14pm On Apr 08, 2016
geosilbert:
o

Can I still use d same text editor for c# and java?

Yes sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group For C++ Beginners / Javathon Group : A Place Where Java And Python Developers Coexist / Google Code Jam Contest 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.