Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1262234 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (1222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by iseoluwa89(m): 9:29pm On Nov 24, 2014
zyzxx:
ok sir.
Tanx bro and @Deji2009 i have done the test and it was ok...however i installed windows 8 on it and was succesful..but d previous windows7 always comes up wit and error about hardware missing..so i just used the windows.old on d new windows 8 to retrieve some files ..Am grateful for your assistance!!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zyzxx(m): 9:31pm On Nov 24, 2014
iseoluwa89:
Tanx bro and @Deji2009 i have done the test and it was ok...however i installed windows 8 on it and was succesful..but d previous windows7 always comes up wit and error about hardware missing..so i just used the windows.old on d new windows 8 to retrieve some files ..Am grateful for your assistance!!
thank God bro
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Slowvenom(m): 10:26pm On Nov 24, 2014
sasotech:
@ Slowvenom:what type of light,(Red, Green, or Yellow)
Yellow.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Slowvenom(m): 10:37pm On Nov 24, 2014
zyzxx:
it hang. Pls snap it,, maybe I can show u how to open it..
Wellcome back tolzeal
Gud pm deji2009, lordreed and all
I should snap it, how?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Slowvenom(m): 10:38pm On Nov 24, 2014
adetwin:

1stly if you can slave your hard disk to recover ur files but if you can't
.... Ur location let's send an engineer to help fix it, contact: check our signature, thanks
I should snap it, how?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 25, 2014
Hello computer gurus in the house. Pls my Samsung G2 external hard disk has stopped working for a while now. So I decided to change the USB cord, bt "format the storage device" window pops up whenever I plugged it. Pls help me with a way out...I don't want to loss my data. Thanks in advance...

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by omotogoodo(m): 10:29am On Nov 25, 2014
Dfash:
PLS can you help me with any information on how to solve this riddle am currently facing concerning the state of my laptop battery that refuse to charge. this problem started not quiet long, i discovered that whenever i plug my laptop it will first show the charging light for some few seconds before it stops and never be seen again. and when i check the battery charging level it shows 0% and trips off whenever there is power outage. pleaseeeeeeeeeee i need urgent advice. pls i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!

my mail addrs--- prinzalveez@yahoo.com sad

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by purplekayc(m): 10:54am On Nov 25, 2014
muhabab:
Hello computer gurus in the house. Pls my Samsung G2 external hard disk has stopped working for a while now. So I decided to change the USB cord, bt "format the storage device" window pops up whenever I plugged it. Pls help me with a way out...I don't want to loss my data. Thanks in advance...
why Samsung?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2014
My HP Compaq 6730b laptop wifi suddenly stopped working. The wifi switch turns blue when I switch it on but when I try to connect to a network, I don't see any connections. I do a diagnostics and it says wireless switched off, meanwhile it is on! please help. My OS is windows 7 (32bits). Thanks

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 4:47pm On Nov 25, 2014
muhabab:

According to super user (2009) "Try to go to the Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management. In the Disk Management part, remove the drive letter for the raw partition. It should prevent Win7 from asking you to format the partition, while letting you mount the partition in TrueCrypt.If it doesn't work, you could try this suggestion, which is to use Autokey to automatically dismiss the messagebox when it appears"

On the other hand partition tool (2004) argued that you would be able to "Recover and get data back when encounter "Disk/drive is not formatted..." error" http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/disk-not-formatted.htm
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 6:47pm On Nov 25, 2014
yIkEsDuDe:
My HP Compaq 6730b laptop wifi suddenly stopped working. The wifi switch turns blue when I switch it on but when I try to connect to a network, I don't see any connections. I do a diagnostics and it says wireless switched off, meanwhile it is on! please help. My OS is windows 7 (32bits). Thanks

Dear yIkEsDuDe,

I was pleased to read the above description, in that it start the machine make,model and operating system type.
This enables technician to narrow down the problem and come to a solution. however, it is important the a user like
yourself ensure that the diagnostics are carried as instructed.

How did you activate the wireless, for example fn+f8 or a wireless switch ?

Use google to research how to get to device manager and
look for network adapter, click the +sign and tell me what's
underneath. Have you ever connect wireless ? if yes, please
use google to research system restore and select a date when the
internet works and restore it.

This laptop came with Windows Vista® Business, isn't it ?

Would you open my computer through the start menu and
click system properties, is version of windows activated ?

Can the wireless turn on and off, please verify this.

Do you have Hp wireless assistant installed ?

furthermore, restart the laptop for me and keep pressing
f10 for bios and L@@k at the main section, what is the
bios version, for example Version: F.20(8 Dec 2011)

On the other hand Hp (2014) argued that you could

"Disable wireless device power management options
Most wireless devices can be configured to turn off power to reduce the power drain on the battery. This is usually not a problem when the notebook is connected to an AC power adapter. However, when operating on battery power, the adapter can be turned off to save power. To disable this power setting, do the following steps.

Click Start , enter device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.
Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click on the wireless (WiFi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.
On the properties window for the adapter, select the Power Management tab, and then de-select the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.
Close the Device Manager, restart the notebook PC, and attempt to reconnect to the wireless network"

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Wisegeek01(m): 8:42pm On Nov 25, 2014
There's an icon that keeps flashing on my taskbar and before I click on it, it disappears I don't actually know what it is, I tried to screen capture it but it wasn't clear enough tho*

Any Ideas.

It flashes like every 30 seconds. ..
Oh!!
it just flashed again.

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cupidhero(m): 9:26pm On Nov 25, 2014
Wisegeek01:
There's an icon that keeps flashing on my taskbar and before I click on it, it disappears I don't actually know what it is, I tried to screen capture it but it wasn't clear enough tho*

Any Ideas.

Oh!!
it just flashed again.
hold "ctrl+shift-esc" and check every open program in your system. any application that you know you don't want running in the background can be closed there. if it appears again just have a mental picture of the logo and then use the above command and find it and then right click on it and you will see "end task" click on end task and the program will close. you can also check your "start up application" to see if the app that shows up in your task bar is usually enabled once you boot your system,
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cupidhero(m): 9:31pm On Nov 25, 2014
Wisegeek01:

Any Ideas.

Oh!!
it just flashed again.
The app might be from all these anti-virus scanners or a registry app. once it shows in your task bar just move the mouse pointer to where it is and the place it on the icon and right click on it i'm sure it will display things like " settings" and and "exit" button.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cupidhero(m): 9:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
Wisegeek01:

Any Ideas.

Oh!!
it just flashed again.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2014
deji2009:

Dear yIkEsDuDe,

I was pleased to read the above description, in that it start the machine make,model and operating system type.
This enables technician to narrow down the problem and come to a solution. however, it is important the a user like
yourself ensure that the diagnostics are carried as instructed.

How did you activate the wireless, for example fn+f8 or a wireless switch ?

Use google to research how to get to device manager and
look for network adapter, click the +sign and tell me what's
underneath. Have you ever connect wireless ? if yes, please
use google to research system restore and select a date when the
internet works and restore it.

This laptop came with Windows Vista® Business, isn't it ?

Would you open my computer through the start menu and
click system properties, is version of windows activated ?

Can the wireless turn on and off, please verify this.

Do you have Hp wireless assistant installed ?

furthermore, restart the laptop for me and keep pressing
f10 for bios and L@@k at the main section, what is the
bios version, for example Version: F.20(8 Dec 2011)

On the other hand Hp (2014) argued that you could

"Disable wireless device power management options
Most wireless devices can be configured to turn off power to reduce the power drain on the battery. This is usually not a problem when the notebook is connected to an AC power adapter. However, when operating on battery power, the adapter can be turned off to save power. To disable this power setting, do the following steps.

Click Start , enter device into the search field, and then select Device Manager from the list.
Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click on the wireless (WiFi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.
On the properties window for the adapter, select the Power Management tab, and then de-select the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.
Close the Device Manager, restart the notebook PC, and attempt to reconnect to the wireless network"

Dear Deji2009,

I am so happy you responded, thanks so much. I'll try to respond to all your comments and questions in the same order you made them to the best of my ability.

I use the wireless switch and not the fn+f8 option and the colour changes from orange to blue accordingly everytime I touch it. But I'm always prompted to turn it on using the switch everytime I do a diagnostic and ofcourse the switch is on blue when system starts up!

In device manager, under network adapters there are:
*Bluetooth Device(Personal Area Network)
*Bluetooth Device(RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
*Broadcom Netlink(TM) Gigabit Ethernet
*Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Yes I have always used the wireless to connect before this issue.

I have done system restore 2ce now and no change still.

Yes my laptop came with windows vista but I changed it to windows 7 ultimate a long time ago

version of windows is activated

No, I dont have wireless assistant installed

BIOS version; I'm not quite sure but I saw stuffs like 1.0.15.0
Date: 07/04/2008
ROM revision: 68PDD version F.05

I have deselected the "allow the computer to turn off device to save power" but the problem persist even after restart.

I hope these helps, thanks again.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 12:12am On Nov 26, 2014
yIkEsDuDe:

Dear Deji2009,

I am so happy you responded, thanks so much. I'll try to respond to all your comments and questions in the same order you made them to the best of my ability.

I use the wireless switch and not the fn+f8 option and the colour changes from orange to blue accordingly everytime I touch it. But I'm always prompted to turn it on using the switch everytime I do a diagnostic and ofcourse the switch is on blue when system starts up!

In device manager, under network adapters there are:
*Bluetooth Device(Personal Area Network)
*Bluetooth Device(RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
*Broadcom Netlink(TM) Gigabit Ethernet
*Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Yes I have always used the wireless to connect before this issue.

I have done system restore 2ce now and no change still.

Yes my laptop came with windows vista but I changed it to windows 7 ultimate a long time ago

version of windows is activated

No, I dont have wireless assistant installed

BIOS version; I'm not quite sure but I saw stuffs like 1.0.15.0
Date: 07/04/2008
ROM revision: 68PDD version F.05

I have deselected the "allow the computer to turn off device to save power" but the problem persist even after restart.

I hope these helps, thanks again.

Visit hp website and search for
Your laptop model. Please select windows
7 ultimate or professional, it depends on
Your version. Please check carefully.
Then download wireless drivers that is up to date

Are you in Nigeria and is the WiFi strength red on the desktop.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by tohby2(m): 12:32am On Nov 26, 2014
help I change my hp15 laptop ram from 2gig to 4gig but it always write 1.90gig usable there instead of 3.90gig and games are extremely slow on it
2)my CD ROM does not eject anymore but it still working Wat can I do about it and like how much will be needed to fix it thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Wisegeek01(m): 2:51am On Nov 26, 2014
cupidhero:

The app might be from all these anti-virus scanners or a registry app. once it shows in your task bar just move the mouse pointer to where it is and the place it on the icon and right click on it i'm sure it will display things like " settings" and and "exit" button.

That's the thing It's just too fast before you can click on it, it's gone,
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Whizpeter(m): 4:05am On Nov 26, 2014
Geeks, Plz my system speaker just stopped functioning all of a sudden.. Could it be hardware or software problem?
How much would it cost to fix it up?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 26, 2014
deji2009:

Visit hp website and search for
Your laptop model. Please select windows
7 ultimate or professional, it depends on
Your version. Please check carefully.
Then download wireless drivers that is up to date

Are you in Nigeria and is the WiFi strength red on the desktop.

Thanks, yes I'm in Nigeria. The wifi strength symbol is crossed out with a red X.
I downloaded and installed a broadcom driver from hp website earlier, it didn't help. Perhaps I didn't get it right, what precisely am I suppose to download and install? Is it the broadcom stuff or the intel(R) wifi link thing?
Thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:38am On Nov 26, 2014
yIkEsDuDe:

Thanks, yes I'm in Nigeria. The wifi strength symbol is crossed out with a red X.
I downloaded and installed a broadcom driver from hp website earlier, it didn't help. Perhaps I didn't get it right, what precisely am I suppose to download and install? Is it the broadcom stuff or the intel(R) wifi link thing?
Thanks.

Please click start, computer and system properties. Look down for windows 7 ultimate or professional. Google the laptop make model number and put drivers at the end and download the precise driver's, e.g Intel wireless. Test the wireless. If no joy go back to the website and download hp wireless assistant install and it and restart your machine then try again. Can other devices connect to the network

Do you have a wireless usb modem such as mtn wireless router

You may have to uninstall the previous version through device manager. You know how to get device manager.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cupidhero(m): 7:52am On Nov 26, 2014
Wisegeek01:

That's the thing It's just too fast before you can click on it, it's gone,
just use the above method. the "ctrl+shift+esc" and check every running app in your system. you can also go to task bar notification settings and see if you can know the name of the app. You can also type "uninstall programs" on your start menu and click on it then locate this strange app logo and see the publisher. if the publisher is microsoft don't uninstall it but if it is a third party app you can consider uninstalling it. why are you worried about this app sef?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by cupidhero(m): 8:00am On Nov 26, 2014
tohby2:
help I change my hp15 laptop ram from 2gig to 4gig but it always write 1.90gig usable there instead of 3.90gig and games are extremely slow on it
2)my CD ROM does not eject anymore but it still working Wat can I do about it and like how much will be needed to fix it thanks
disable powersaving battery mode when you want to play game. use the high performance battery mode. is your laptop's GPU an intel HD3000 or intel HD4000? Try swapping the position of the rams and i think you should also try and update your video cards.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Wisegeek01(m): 8:06am On Nov 26, 2014
cupidhero:

just use the above method. the "ctrl+shift+esc" and check every running app in your system. you can also go to task bar notification settings and see if you can know the name of the app. You can also type "uninstall programs" on your start menu and click on it then locate this strange app logo and see the publisher. if the publisher is microsoft don't uninstall it but if it is a third party app you can consider uninstalling it. why are you worried about this app sef?

Ohk I just did all this "the apps still flashing me tho. ..

So why am I worried?
Apart from the app shutting down all open windows when ever it does flash, it just started 2days ago, I just need to knw what must be causing it, is it an error malware(of which I've got the latest updated antivirus) or is this stuff taking pictures of stuff on my screen and sending it to someone* Dunno

Anyway thanks again for your help*
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:13am On Nov 26, 2014
Wisegeek01:

Ohk I just did all this "the apps still flashing me tho. ..

So why am I worried?
Apart from the app shutting down all open windows when ever it does flash, it just started 2days ago, I just need to knw what must be causing it, is it an error malware(of which I've got the latest updated antivirus) or is this stuff taking pictures of stuff on my screen and sending it to someone* Dunno

Anyway thanks again for your help*

Use google to research system restore
And select a date when everything works, e.g
A week ago and restore it
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 8:20am On Nov 26, 2014
tohby2:

deji2009
Please click start, computer and system properties. Can you see assessment rating that your system need to recalculate a score.
Run the assessment. For your cd drive look for adetwin on this forum, he/she would be of help

zyzxx:
pls check ur computer properties first to knw maybe ur system detect d second ram.
About d cd rom, av u try to inject it from my computer?

Have you followed zyzxx insturctions and that of deji2009, which is myself ?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Wisegeek01(m): 8:23am On Nov 26, 2014
deji2009:

Use google to research system restore
And select a date when everything works, e.g
A week ago and restore it

Oh!! Yeah
Totally forgot about System restore*
I'd try dt out Bruh"
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zyzxx(m): 8:30am On Nov 26, 2014
tohby2:
pls check ur computer properties first to knw maybe ur system detect d second ram.
About d cd rom, av u try to inject it from my computer?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by LordReed(m): 9:03am On Nov 26, 2014
tohby2:

To take advantage of the full 4gb of RAM you need to change to a 64bit version of Windows. I recommend Win7 64bit.
The CD ROM bay has to be taken out and serviced, you need a good techie for that or you can do it yourself.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by enet1(m): 10:52am On Nov 26, 2014
Goodmorning skydancer and all the computer gurus and the contributors onhis thread,May the good lord bless and replenish all your efforts. I use a HP elitebook intel core i5 laptop 250 gb of HDD and 2gb RAM,i got it last yr september,but for 2 0r 3 months now,it has been hanging and gettin slow so so much especially when i browse on the internet,pls what do you guys advise that i do to make it functional very well as b4? i use free antivirus on it and there is free space of 143gb on the local disk.i was tinking of either formatting the system or buyin an original norton antivirus on it.Pls i need professional advice on which step to take cuz i dont want the system to crash finally. If i will format it, how much do they format laptop in computer village.God bless you all in advance.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 26, 2014
deji2009:

Please click start, computer and system properties. Look down for windows 7 ultimate or professional. Google the laptop make model number and put drivers at the end and download the precise driver's, e.g Intel wireless. Test the wireless. If no joy go back to the website and download hp wireless assistant install and it and restart your machine then try again. Can other devices connect to the network

Do you have a wireless usb modem such as mtn wireless router

You may have to uninstall the previous version through device manager. You know how to get device manager.

Dear Deji,

U're too much!!!
Thanks much much! My WLAN is back!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (1222) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.