Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (742) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1262098 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) ... (1222) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 12:42pm On Aug 30, 2016
AKBliv010:

Cooling mat/pads is a quick fix not a solution. Clean out dust first.

Might not even be dust. Could be the CPU Fan is defective, which is most likely the case.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 12:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
bdavis:

Might not even be dust. Could be the CPU Fan is defective, which is most likely the case.

Always start with the least expensive option... PC troubleshooting is mostly an elimination process.

Either way it still has to be opened.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 12:50pm On Aug 30, 2016
Tayepee:
bro,, cooling mat,,, as In cooling fan ??

AKBliv010 has been kind enough to show include a picture of the cooling mat (thanks for that bro) but whilst that might be the fastest and easiest/cheapest way out, I'd still encourage you to see a techie, cos overheating could be caused by several factors, from a faulty CPU Fan to blocked vents (as he rightly mentioned) and even in rare cases, a defective processor.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 12:56pm On Aug 30, 2016
bdavis:

AKBliv010 has been kind enough to show include a picture of the cooling mat (thanks for that bro) but whilst that might be the fastest and easiest/cheapest way out, I'd still encourage you to see a techie, cos overheating could be caused by several factors, from a faulty CPU Fan to blocked vents (as he rightly mentioned) and even in rare cases, a defective processor.

I'll just add dried up thermal paste!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by me5you: 2:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
Good day
Please am using HP pavilion which requires input of 100-240V 50-60hz and output of 19.5v 3.34A. The charger am using Has the above requirement but its a dell charger. Does it matter?. Thank you
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Qhalifah: 3:34pm On Aug 30, 2016
Please house why does my PC ask me to activate my windows anytime I try to use some pre-installed app, solutions would be appreciated
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Lexusgs430: 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2016
Qhalifah:
Please house why does my PC ask me to activate my windows anytime I try to use some pre-installed app, solutions would be appreciated

Is your operating system activated?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zyzxx(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2016
Silkmoth33:

The funny part about the whole thing really is that there is no Nvidia in that system. cheesy Nah AMD GPUS the thing dey run on.

grin grin

Una go just dey assume wetin una no sabi!
Spot on my 12inch rump! Make the guy go learn work well he no gree.

Our Weather does not support it. grin The guy nah joker!

Look at the way he described the Nividai he was talking about. He probably thinks Nvidia is a company that makes PCs that over-heat. Clown of the highest order.

I don't even know why u guyz are the ones calling the shots here? The Gamer section crew should just take over cos u guys are clueless.

See the PCs ppl are wasting money purchasing. Redundant old and dead laptops.
in fact I don't feel like exchanging words tonight at all. U try, clap for urself

I laugh in Japanese, no nividia, when i said nivida i know what am talking about and mind u i know both amd and intel board, which i knw amd generate more heat dan intel that makes amd more faster than intel

Am tired of typing jare i have so manybthings to do

If u need any info about me u can ask some guys here that have met me thru this platform and i fixed there systems
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zyzxx(m): 9:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
AKBliv010:

There's nothing more annoying than stating the problem and not giving a solution. According to zyzxx, "yea it a nividia product and overheating are there problem".. no a solution.. c'mon..if he knows so much..he'd offer one or if it's a service he'd like to get paid for then make arrangements with OP to do so.
am sorry bro
He is not yet convinced that it overheating, that was why I had to explain further before i can provide any solution and it even hardaware, i knew he has to see an engr so that was why i did not provide any solution
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horllamy(m): 7:28am On Aug 31, 2016
Davik01:
Pls my pc is having problem with the keyboard. Eg if i scroll down it will be highlighting, if type a letter in upper case mode i will see lower case. Typing nos eg 1 2 3 will bring out ! " £ etc. What do i do? Thanks
Ur keyboard as faulty .
U will av to seevice d keyboard, if still persist same problem den u will av to replace it
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by horllamy(m): 7:31am On Aug 31, 2016
[quote author=tzpsalmmy post=48911309]Good day. Please I want to get a very good and reliable
laptop within the price range of 70-90k and I need helpful
advises asap on which brand or model I can go for. THANKS[/quote
WhatsApp me 08139462401
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Kunkzi: 8:55am On Aug 31, 2016
If you forgot login password of Windows 7 laptop, then you need to know how to recover the password. I searched online and find an solution to recover windows 7 password. Please follow the tips in that tutorial.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 9:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Kunkzi:
I forgot login password of Windows 7 laptop. how to reset the login password?

Did you create a password reset disk? If not and you are in Lagos, whatsapp me.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by RX480(m): 1:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
zyzxx:
generally nividai has two major challenge, over heating coz it fast and it processor heat a lot and two nividia has a high standard of VGA which is the graphic and our weather here can't work much with it

So bro have been in this game for the past 6 years and I have handle a lot of that system

heating is purely based on TDP, Ventilation/Airflow and the ambient temperature, nothing you said has anything to do with a laptop overheating.

and something running hotter doesn't make it faster o, using that logic, a GTX 480 is the fastest graphics card in existence.

AKBliv010 wat is dis
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2016
RX480:

heating is purely based on TDP, Ventilation/Airflow and the ambient temperature, nothing you said has anything to do with a laptop overheating.

and something running hotter doesn't make it faster o, using that logic, a GTX 480 is the fastest graphics card in existence.

AKBliv010 wat is dis

Ommo, it's shocking! Misinformation flying about is incredible.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Dermie: 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2016
noob03saibot:

How I knew they could b malicious is that the anti virus report scan said so. And the laptop has been malfunctioning, like when I boot it, instead of going to the home screen it goes to library. Also when I am scrolling with the scroll bar to view items it is always scrolling to the base, no matter how hard I scroll up, it must scroll down, and when I go to the home screen it is always the last shortcut folder icon that is highlighted and if I try to click on any icon or button on the screen, it is always the last folder that will open. Example the last folder icon on my screen is smadav and I want to click on jet audio shortcut icon, it is smadav that ll open. And when I send data to my phone after disconnecting the use cable, I ll be seeing new empty folders in my received compartment of my phone, folders I didn't create. I v scanned the system with every anti virus known to man, but they keep saying no virus detected, only hidden objects found and another anti virus said warnings 74. Don't know what that means. But google said warnings ain't a threat, it means that some data couldn't be scanned, sir, I am thinking of formatting it. How can I formatting it to make the hard disk as blank as new? And would the virus survive the formatting? How reliable is f disk formatting?

I also feel it's a msconfig problem. The picture below is the exact same headache I am facing right now.

The issue you're having might be because of a Mouse or Keyboard Malfunction. I don't know if you tried navigating the screen with your keyboard.

You can try to test with an external Mouse or Keyboard to see if it's the same or not..., or uninstall your recently installed apps.

Do a Rootkit scan
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx

Try this:
Go to Device Manager, select your Mouse/ Mice and other pointing devices, right click and Uninstall it, then restart your PC.

To Do Factory Reset:
Backup your files, if you can.

Disconnect all connected devices.

Search for "PC Settings", select "Update and recovery",
Select "Recovery", choose "Remove Everything and reinstall Windows".
Select "Get Started" and follow the onscreen instructions to start the factory reset process.

Formatting your drive should solve your problem.

2 Likes

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zyzxx(m): 6:15pm On Aug 31, 2016
RX480:

AKBliv010 wat is dis
pls do you agree that and board generate more heat that Intel?

Likewise do u no that nividia graphic chipset get more heat than that of intel?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 6:36pm On Aug 31, 2016
zyzxx:

Please stop it! Intel make chips for CPU's, Nvidia make chips for GPU's. A laptop will either have a dedicated GPU or not. If it doesn't, then the iGPU, integrated GPU built with the Intel chip will be used to display images on the monitor. If it has a dedicated GPU it will either be made by AMD or Nvidia

And please get NVIDIA right not nividia or nividai!

The motherboard or the chipset used in laptops are not made by INTEL,AMD or Nvidia. (unless of course it's an Intel NUC). Intel specify the chipset to be used on the motherboard. For instance, the chipset required to work with the Intel core i7-6700 is a Z170, H110, H170 or B150.

My Asus X202E with the Intel i3-2350M uses a HM76 chipset.

i'll encourage you to have a read of this, you might learn something - https://www.nairaland.com/3267973/gaming-pc-what-need-know

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 7:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
AKBliv010:

Please stop it! Intel make chips for CPU's, Nvidia make chips for GPU's. A laptop will either have a dedicated GPU or not. If it doesn't, then the iGPU, integrated GPU built with the Intel chip will be used to display images on the monitor. If it has a dedicated GPU it will either be made by AMD or Nvidia

And please get NVIDIA right not nividia or nividai!

The motherboard or the chipset used in laptops are not made by INTEL,AMD or Nvidia. Intel specify the chipset to be used on the motherboard. For instance, the chipset required to work with the Intel core i7-6700 is a Z170, H110, H170 or B150.

My Asus X202E with the Intel i3-2350M uses a HM76 chipset.

i'll encourage you to have a read of this, you might learn something - https://www.nairaland.com/3267973/gaming-pc-what-need-know

Lol@bolded...

zyzxx:

Dude, you have a good heart in that you dey try help, but you need to do additional brush up to correct your misconceptions. I stood up for you earlier, cos despite misconceptions, you arrived@ the answer, but right now, you dey fall my hand seriously.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by jonozo(m): 7:30pm On Aug 31, 2016
Order for replacement parts for phones, tablets and laptops also you can order for a "feex" from our professional technicians all at affordable prices. We offer pickup and delivery services to locations within Lagos. Visit www.weefeex.com today.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by booz(m): 8:45pm On Aug 31, 2016
Please, my hp laptop's back light suddenly went off. I can see its display, just the back light, how can I resolve it?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 10:07pm On Aug 31, 2016
booz:
Please, my hp laptop's back light suddenly went off. I can see its display, just the back light, how can I resolve it?

You mean the display is kinda dark to see or the keyboard backlight; which exactly? Could you upload the picture?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by samigben(m): 10:32pm On Aug 31, 2016
Please can you help me to remove the BIOS PASSWORD FROM THIS TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP
C855D-S5900
SERIAL NO:4D251232Q
PART NO: PSCBQU-OO4O3E.
Thanks.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Emmaesty(f): 10:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
Hello. I use a Lenovo G50 windows 8 laptop and the problem here is that whenever I plug any phone to the system through USB, it doesn't show on the system that the phone is plugged in, tho the phone charges. Please what can I do concerning this problem? Thanks as I await a response
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 31, 2016
Emmaesty:
Hello. I use a Lenovo G50 windows 8 laptop and the problem here is that whenever I plug any phone to the system through USB, it doesn't show on the system that the phone is plugged in, tho the phone charges. Please what can I do concerning this problem? Thanks as I await a response
It's the USB port. Pour soapy water inside the USB port and clean thoroughly with a cotton bud.

Thank me later. grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Emmaesty(f): 11:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
iAmCharis:
It's the USB port. Pour soapy water inside the USB port and clean thoroughly with a cotton bud.

Thank me later. grin
Na so you follow me reach nairaland sha grin grin grin
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 11:19pm On Aug 31, 2016
Emmaesty:

Try this, I made this video specially for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEDiZY5aiE0

2 Likes

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by yemi2plus(m): 11:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
Hello Engineers,

I recently bought a UK used HP elitebook 8440p and have some issues that I'll need help on.

1. It runs on windows 8.1 pro but the 500GB HDD wasn't partition during installation of the OS. I have read and downloaded materials and Youtube videos on how to partition the hard disk drive and I believe I can do it myself. However, how best do I partition it. I mean, how should I divide the drives. What size should I allocate to the C: drive and the yet to be partitioned drive? I intend using the C: for programmes installation only and yet to be partitioned drive for saving my files.

2. Base on the specs I saw online before purchasing it, it was said to come with a NVIDIA NVS 3100M Graphics Processor and a Video Memory of 512. However, what I've been seeing is Intel integrated HD graphic. Could it be that my version doesn't come with the graphic processor I saw online or am I missing something or do I need to download and install the Nvidia drivers on HP site?

3. What's the actual capacity of the charger for this laptop and what are the implications of charging it with an higher capacity charger?

Thanks!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by AKBliv010(m): 2:07am On Sep 01, 2016
yemi2plus:
Hello Engineers,

I recently bought a UK used HP elitebook 8440p and have some issues that I'll need help on.

1. It runs on windows 8.1 pro but the 500GB HDD wasn't partition during installation of the OS. I have read and downloaded materials and Youtube videos on how to partition the hard disk drive and I believe I can do it myself. However, how best do I partition it. I mean, how should I divide the drives. What size should I allocate to the C: drive and the yet to be partitioned drive? I intend using the C: for programmes installation only and yet to be partitioned drive for saving my files.

2. Base on the specs I saw online before purchasing it, it was said to come with a NVIDIA NVS 3100M Graphics Processor and a Video Memory of 512. However, what I've been seeing is Intel integrated HD graphic. Could it be that my version doesn't come with the graphic processor I saw online or am I missing something or do I need to download and install the Nvidia drivers on HP site?

3. What's the actual capacity of the charger for this laptop and what are the implications of charging it with an higher capacity charger?

Thanks!

1. Whilst you may find software that will partition you HDD with the OS installed I'd always recommend backup your personal files and use the partition software you wish to use.

If you have a product key, get a copy of Windows 8 on a bootable USB and partition on reinstalling Windows.

Set C: 80-120GB, rest for data and change the default folder location for your downloads, documents, videos and pictures to the second partition.

2. If the device is not listed in Device Manager you aren't likely to have a dedicated GPU. Did you verify this information I device manager?

3. Using a charger with higher amperage will charge it faster. Most laptops will stop charging when the battery is full. Please confirm the voltage and amperage of the original charger and that of the charger you wish to use.

BlivAK
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by bdavis: 3:49am On Sep 01, 2016
To: Yemi2plus:

Just a little addendum to what the poster above me (AKBliv010) said:

1. Whilst you may find software that will partition you HDD with the OS installed I'd always recommend backup your personal files and use the partition software you wish to use...if the system came pre-installed, I'll say aside your personal files backup the SWSETUP folder as well, since this is where all the drivers and the pre-installed applications are. Backing up this folder would save you time and when you need to reinstall your driver's after you are done installing Windows.

2. If the device is not listed in Device Manager you aren't likely to have a dedicated GPU. Did you verify this information I device manager?
...he might have a dedicated GPU, but improper driver installation might not make it turn up in Device Manager, unless he knows what to look for.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by noob03saibot(m): 4:40am On Sep 01, 2016
Dermie:

The issue you're having might be because of a Mouse or Keyboard Malfunction. I don't know if you tried navigating the screen with your keyboard.

You can try to test with an external Mouse or Keyboard to see if it's the same or not..., or uninstall your recently installed apps.

Do a Rootkit scan
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx

Try this:
Go to Device Manager, select your Mouse/ Mice and other pointing devices, right click and Uninstall it, then restart your PC.

To Do Factory Reset:
Backup your files, if you can.

Disconnect all connected devices.

Search for "PC Settings", select "Update and recovery",
Select "Recovery", choose "Remove Everything and reinstall Windows".
Select "Get Started" and follow the onscreen instructions to start the factory reset process.

Formatting your drive should solve your problem.
Thanks for your concern man, but I don't feel it's a device, mouse keyboard problem. I v also scanned and scanned, in fact my name should v called scanner, but got nothing. I actually checked the msconfig, the start up tab and saw list of things that start up with my pc, among them was some thing called smart protection anti virus. Dude, I don't know how that managed to get there. And the publisher was unknown. So I ran a Google check on it and found out that it is a fake anti virus and it is in fact a virus. But funny enough, no anti virus has picked this up. I v tried to disable it. But anytime I reset my pc and go back to check it in msconfig, I see it abled again. But if I disable it and don't reset, it stays disabled. How can I disable the shit permanently please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (739) (740) (741) (742) (743) (744) (745) ... (1222) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.