Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,924 members, 7,806,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria (11407 Views)

Power Failure: I Have Never Been This Sad For The Past 6 Years / One Shot Dead During The Ongoing "Biafra Million Man March’ Protest / One Million March Protest For Light In Nigeria ' Let There Be Light In 9ja' ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 10:30am On Jul 25, 2009
What: Peaceful demonstration against PHCN
Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009
Time:1:00pm - 4:00pm
Street: Mobolaji Bank Anthony Road, Ikeja
City/Town:Lagos, Nigeria
Theme: Light Up Nigeria

Email: napob-nigeria@hotmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100199663213&ref=mf

Yea it's easy to be pessimistic n say nothing will come of it. but it's a way of telling the govt enough is enough. power should be a right not a privilege in this 21st century. Mark the date in ur calender (independence day) and SPREAD THE WORD to your friends and colleagues.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 10:36am On Jul 25, 2009
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 25, 2009
I congratulate you and other patriotic Nigerians who really want see change.
I will be there to support the movement.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by ibrokay(m): 11:00am On Jul 25, 2009
@ Poster
It is worth it.See u at the rally
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by samparian(m): 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2009
The government should just lease out PHCN to a competent foriegn firm and we go begin see light and dem go stop to dey steal billions of dollars wey dem say dem dey dump into light abi na darkness
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Ehoi: 1:27pm On Jul 25, 2009
So people can march because there is no electricity but they cannot march against a system that puts them in slavery?
Have they asked themselves why there is no power in the first place?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by back2back(f): 2:49pm On Jul 25, 2009
Ehoi:

So people can march because there is no electricity but they cannot march against a system that puts them in slavery?
Have they asked themselves why there is no power in the first place?

Gbam.

Useless idea.

OBJ took your $16billion to buy you darkness and all you can do is march? Na wa!!!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 4:23pm On Jul 25, 2009
back2back:

Gbam.Useless idea.
OBJ took your $16billion to buy you darkness and all you can do is march? Na wa!!!

I sincerely sympathize with your view believe me. But I do not agree with it though. It is true that many nigerians are pessimistic like you are and have given up all hope for goodness in the country, but I know that change is possible. Change is possible if you believe in it and try to work towards it. No one can solve our problems except we the people of the country. the politicians won't stop embezzling overnight unless some action is taken by the citizens to stop it.

Afterall, you are not being forced to march. you can very well remain in your home to wallow in your apathy. enjoy your jollof and exchange independence pleasantries with your neighbors in the darkness. You can do that, or you can decide to devote 3-5 hours of your time on independence day to do something positive for the country. to at least air your opinion in telling the politicians that enough is enough.

OBJ was able to take 16billion because we Nigerian citizens are a very apathetic bunch. we do not care. we're not educated enough to understand that a country is a democracy only when common citizens are able to influence decision making.  that's why the govt have been able to get away with all their crimes. BECAUSE WE FOLD OUR ARMS AND DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. we shouldn't let them get away with stealing.
and here's a chance for you to contribute your little part. If we can't attend the rally, let's encourage those who are willing to rather than discourage them.

when a thief comes to your house armed with guns and machetes, you have no power to keep them from looting your house or hurting your close ones. but you can should OLE OLE OLE for the world to come to your rescue. to prevent from from leaving with your possession. to weaken them and make them hesitate. This is an  opportunity not only to challenge the looters, but also to reach out for help . If it very successful, the whole world will carry the news. you will hear it on CNN, BBC and definitely the govt will do something about it even if little (it took international and CNN reports for the govt to create EFCC to combat 419 remember?) . The greatest benefit to this rally, however, will be the reality that citizens are now able to exercise their democratic right in attempting to influence the government.

pls I do not want this topic to turn into a debate thread. If you want to contest my words, create a topic for it and i will be more than glad to join in.

This topic is meant solely for the purpose of mobilizing Nigerian citizens in support of the Light Up Nigeria cause. It is a voluntary movement. you don't have to join but you are encouraged to. There is great strength in numbers and this protest will be successful only if there is a great out turn. If you still have some doubts in the power of the people against bad govt, you can just join in the protest anyways.  Afterall, many people religiously play the lottery knowing that there is only a slight chance at winning. Let's put that same drive and optimism into this cause. The opportunity cost is very little (just 4 hours of the holiday). Let's start the car engine and let God direct us along the highway. remember heaven helps those who help themselves. Please it is all for our benefit.

Thank You
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 4:57pm On Jul 25, 2009
ibrokay:

@ Poster
It is worth it.See u at the rally

nuzo:

I congratulate you and other patriotic Nigerians who really want see change.
I will be there to support the movement.

see you there!!!  cheesy yes we can do this

samparian:

The government should just lease out PHCN to a competent foriegn firm and we go begin see light and dem go stop to dey steal billions of dollars wey dem say dem dey dump into light abi na darkness

the purpose of the protest is to hasten the govt to move in those steps. we want light and really don't care how they go about it. thanks for your input!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Jul 25, 2009
Question about this match @poster. what comes after or before to ensure something changes? I will not be there for the match.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2009
@Richyblack, by mere protesting, you are causing a change  wink no matter how small. i'm assuming you're in the USA. each African American that "sat in" or demonstrated during the civil rights movement in the USA caused a small change of his/ her own. each protester at the infamous Monday demonstrations in east germany contributed to the pressure that caused the fall of the Berlin Wall (these dedicated citizens demonstrated every monday for 6 months), i can continue naming them but
With this only 4 hour demonstration, if we get enough people,  the best case scenario will be that the govt will acknowledge it, CNN will carry the news, pressure will be mounted on the govt and REAL action will be taken to to solve this PHCN problem.  and in the least case scenario,your token will be a step in discouraging the lack of real democracy in the govt on issues like these (phcn etc.)
For now, all focus should be on mobilizing people for the rally. Maybe in Sept, we will be talking about what comes next.

you can send a quick email to the organizers, or click on the facebook link for more info.
Email: napob-nigeria@hotmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100199663213&ref=mf
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by samparian(m): 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2009
when Abacha proposed his 1 million man march in Abuja
Gani organised a 5 million man march against him in lagos on the same day. we all know what heand the 5 million  achieved.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 6:17pm On Jul 25, 2009
Gani organized a 5 million march but only a mere 200 ppl showed up. what would you expect? it is sad and pathetic that nigerians are not active as they should be in a democratic govt.
keep in mind that was also during a millitary rule.
in my opinion Gani should go down in history as one of the few truly patriotic nigerians that ever lived. he was a david against goliath's army (according to the NYT. : http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/28/world/lagos-journal-a-gleeful-david-faces-the-goliath-that-is-nigeria.html). I wish we nigerians could emulate citizens from other countries in the world in challenging and pressuring the govt. there is so much strength in numbers i tell ya

this is an excerpt from a commentary during the Abacha/ gani saga:

". . .While there are some encouraging noises and the release of 9
political prisoners is a good start. . . the radical pro-democracy movement is so weak and
is unable to put serious pressure on the military (200-300 people turned
out in Lagos for the rally at which Gani Fawehinmi was arrested (and
later released) -- hardly to Indonesian or South African levels of
popular protest).

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=h-africa&month=9806&week=c&msg=j3yQH4kuU2JFltfpY0T2iw&user=&pw=
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Gekko(m): 6:18pm On Jul 25, 2009
I support this 1000%.  Hope other major cities in the country organize a similar event.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by proudly9ja(m): 6:32pm On Jul 25, 2009
Nawao. When will we remove this defeatist attitude from our midset as Nigerians It is only because of our siddon look attitude that things have continued this way in our country. Suddenly some people decide to stage a march and we are condemning? I mean its a voluntary thing, noone is forcing you to join in?

Gani organised a march and people did not show up so what? Should that deter you? That your brother failed WAEC does that mean you should not sit for the same WAEC? People like Gani should be honoured in Nigeria. They have continuosly being the opposition in both military and civilian misrule in this country even inspite of facing condemnation and no support from the Nigerians they are fighting for.

Anyways, I take solace in the fact that there are people who sit back and watch events unfolding while a very select few are the ones who make the events.

Kudos to the organisers.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:38pm On Jul 25, 2009
A protest (mere noise) will not bring power.  Go and build a power station or something useful.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by GAR3TH(m): 6:50pm On Jul 25, 2009
I support what your doing 100%. But I dont want to wake up on the 2nd and hear that protesters were hosed and arrested. Know your limits as well as your rights. Be responsible and do your research. Different communities and cities have different standards as to what is legal when protesting. You may have to obtain a "permit to protest" from your local city gov. If so, be sure to bring it with you on Demonstration Day.

@chiyo

Are you guys going to have a press conference or any media connections during the protest?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 6:59pm On Jul 25, 2009
proudly9ja:

Nawao. When will we remove this defeatist attitude from our midset as Nigerians It is only because of our siddon look attitude that things have continued this way in our country. Suddenly some people decide to stage a march and we are condemning? I mean its a voluntary thing, noone is forcing you to join in?

Gani organised a march and people did not show up so what? Should that deter you? That your brother failed WAEC does that mean you should not sit for the same WAEC? People like Gani should be honoured in Nigeria. They have continuosly being the opposition in both military and civilian misrule in this country even inspite of facing condemnation and no support from the Nigerians they are fighting for.

Anyways, I take solace in the fact that there are people who sit back and watch events unfolding while a very select few are the ones who make the events.

Kudos to the organisers.

you took the words right out of my mouth
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 7:01pm On Jul 25, 2009
Kudos and I hope you get a lot of supporters to join you on the day, I find it difficult to comprehend how someone would condemn such a move which could potentially draw interest and get people involved in the culture of demanding more from their government.

@Ehoi and @back2back, the organisers of this march have seen it as being in their capacity to do what they propose, if you think other more fundamental issues should be the focus or if you think a different approach should be used, what is stopping any of you from starting up such a venture? We really need to develop a culture of protest in any form that puts government under pressure to deliver what the people put them there to deliver. Personally I think a more strategic approach like a protest targeted at the house of reps and the senate, to pass a bill (which the organisers could propose) which gives back to the states the power to generate their own electricity would be more effective and useful to solving the problem. I still salute the venture and hope it is well organised, gets media coverage locally and internationally to really put shame on the government in the eyes of the international community.

If it was up to me the ASUU strike would even go on for at least a year. I know people will very understandably find such a view offensive and hard to swallow, but look the history of strike in ghana's higher education system, there was a major strike that lasted for well over a year that pretty much forced the hand of the government to address the fundamental issues that were being highlighted and since then, there has not been strikes again in ghana. How many more years would the minor strikes cummulatively eat up and rob Nigerian students of?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2009
GAR3TH:

I support what your doing 100%. But I dont want to wake up on the 2nd and hear that protesters were hosed and arrested. Know your limits as well as your rights. Be responsible and do your research. Different communities and cities have different standards as to what is legal when protesting. You may have to obtain a "permit to protest" from your local city gov. If so, be sure to bring it with you on Demonstration Day.

@chiyo

Are you guys going to have a press conference or any media connections during the protest?

yea it's a peaceful demonstration.
I am just a supporter and trying to help mobilize people. but that's a good point about the press! I think the rally is still in the beginning stages and there is time to hold press conferences and generate media awareness.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nex(m): 7:08pm On Jul 25, 2009
I'll be there. I'm already a member of Light Up Nigeria on facebook, but I feel we should have a way of identifying one another, maybe by wearing the same kind of T-shirt or something so we can easily identify thugs and touts that may want to come amongst us and turn this thing into a riot or looting spree that will bring the police in and cause violent crowd dispersal. You know NPF now.

I think that's very important.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by savanaha: 7:14pm On Jul 25, 2009
When nothing but sitting and complaining is done some people will ask "when will Nigerians do something"? When someone has an idea that none of those do nothing shouters of "when will Nigerians do something" were unable to think of, the person with an idea to atleast try something is told that it is not enough

Seun:

A protest (mere noise) will not bring power. Go and build a power station or something useful.

Quick question. Since a march is mere noise, how many power stations have you built?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Jul 25, 2009
@Poster, I am going to guess that response there was for me, even though I am not @Richyblack. So, for those who have no plans to be in Nigeria, I am guessing you
mean there is nothing else to do.

Another question I have is this, how do you think the organizers of this rally intend to cause change by organizing this match. We all know that marching is no guarantee for change of any sort, but in this case what exactly is the plan? To simply walk in protest of the PHCN situation? Seriously need info please. By the way, the Facebook face is not open to the public. Since I am not on facebook, how do I see the site?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by redsun(m): 7:58pm On Jul 25, 2009
Peaceful and resilient protest is a sign of the changing time.Rome was not built in a day.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nex(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2009
This thread is really getting me very depressed.

A lot of people do not know that Peaceful Protest is one of the tools of operating a democracy.

When a Democratic Goverment is swaying from its duties, the first thing the citizens are meant to do is WAIT. The period of waiting is to ensure that the government has enough time to correct its error if at all it was an error. The waiting period is not decades or years, it is weeks. At most a month.

The next step is to gather in FORUMS. Usually, these forums are held by different Unions. Nairaland though is the largest forum in Nigeria. I always excuse Seun for somethings he may say about our democracy because whether he knows it or not, he has created one of the most important tools of democracy. A place where Nigerians can discuss, share views and decide on action to be taken.

A MEMORANDUM or PETITION can then be passed on to lodge a complaint to the government and let them know what the people expect of them in case they don't know what their duties are.

When nothing is done about the petition, then the citizens call on their parliamentarians through the heads of their Unions to inform that they should embark on IMPEACHMENT of the Executive or RECALL of a Legislator depending on the erring official in question.

When still, nothing is done, then PEACEFUL PROTESTS or RALLIES are held to express how Serious and how Massive the movement against the situation is.

If still nothing is done within a couple of months after the MARCH then we're left with no other option but the REVOLUTION and CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT.

A lot of Nigerians scream that we need a revolution, but they do not know how a revolution comes about. You don't just wake up from nothing to a revolution. You have to fulfil all righteousness.

For those that will do nothing to gain their rights and freedoms, please do nothing. However, what gets me totally out of my mind is when I'm fighting for the benefit of all and some are trying to mock me.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 11:49pm On Jul 25, 2009
who will lead the march. Up its not a wasteful plot, i dont think any1 will show up for the march
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by oluclem(m): 12:04am On Jul 26, 2009
I will be there, I don't know how long we are going to continue like this. For any changes to happen in this country, we the youth should be ready to make sacrifice. Atleast, they world will know that we are unhappy with the present black out in our country, You have my support
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by naijaking1: 12:22am On Jul 26, 2009
Good idea. Long and persistent peaceful protest works all the time. Nigerians should turn outin their millions, to say that--- power blackout, we can't take it no more!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 12:57am On Jul 26, 2009
oluclem:

I will be there, I don't know how long we are going to continue like this. For any changes to happen in this country, we the youth should be ready to make sacrifice. Atleast, they world will know that we are unhappy with the present black out in our country, You have my support
i hope u are there. Actions speak louder than type
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 1:13am On Jul 26, 2009
why would a mass protest be considered mere noise?

i bet some of you guys would have being the ones telling Martin luther king to sit down.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Jul 26, 2009
@Poster, still waiting for response.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Ehoi: 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2009
Sky Blue:

Kudos and I hope you get a lot of supporters to join you on the day, I find it difficult to comprehend how someone would condemn such a move which could potentially draw interest and get people involved in the culture of demanding more from their government.

@Ehoi and @back2back, the organisers of this march have seen it as being in their capacity to do what they propose, if you think other more fundamental issues should be the focus or if you think a different approach should be used, what is stopping any of you from starting up such a venture? We really need to develop a culture of protest in any form that puts government under pressure to deliver what the people put them there to deliver. Personally I think a more strategic approach like a protest targeted at the house of reps and the senate, to pass a bill (which the organisers could propose) which gives back to the states the power to generate their own electricity would be more effective and useful to solving the problem. I still salute the venture and hope it is well organised, gets media coverage locally and internationally to really put shame on the government in the eyes of the international community.

If it was up to me the ASUU strike would even go on for at least a year. I know people will very understandably find such a view offensive and hard to swallow, but look the history of strike in ghana's higher education system, there was a major strike that lasted for well over a year that pretty much forced the hand of the government to address the fundamental issues that were being highlighted and since then, there has not been strikes again in ghana. How many more years would the minor strikes cummulatively eat up and rob Nigerian students of?
Better late than never. I was shocked the people want to have a march to protest the electricity situation in the country. I never knew they have the ability or the mindset to even gather together and ask questions. Bt its sad that these people are ready to march for what they think directly effects them but they are not willing to march for their freedom. Have they asked why there is no electricity? The electricity supply is directly linked to the security situation in the niger delta. Most of the gas pipes have been blown up thats why the turbines cannot generate electricity. I believe many of these people going to this march are indifferent to the plight of the niger deltans in the creek yet they want the gas to flow from there to power the turbines so they can enjoy electricity in lagos.

The people are not able to organize themselves or march against a constitution that have put them is perpetual slavery. A system that have stolen their self determination as a people. They are yet to see fit to march against a system that has stolen their land and their resources with the land Use Act. They don't march against a system that steals their vote in the ballot but oh, because electricity directly affects them, they are now ready to march hmm. Nice. Its a step in the right direction but they have got their priorities completely wrong. If they had marched in support of the niger delta many years ago and gotten the problem there solved, we would all be enjoying 24 hour power supply now. Thats why i ask, do these people know the reason why they don't have electricity?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Clears Senator Akwashiki Of Adultery Allegation, Indict Accusers / Social Media: Nobody Can Gag Nigerians- Dele Momodu / The Third Force Best Bet Ahead Of 2019 Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.