Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year (60118 Views)

Fuel Tanker Crashes In Cross River State As Residents Rush With Gallons. Photos / Man Killed In Fatal Car Accident Due To Bad Road In Cross River State. Photos / Hot And Cold Stream In Ugep, Cross River State, Discovered By A Hunter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Eteo: 6:02am On Mar 28, 2016
Op, reading ur post reminded me of the story of the six blind men who went to visit an elephant and each described d elephant based on d part of the elephants body that was touched.

When u mentioned d meals in cross river, I didn't see Afang soup, edikang ikong soup, abak (banga) soup, afia efere (white soup) , ekpang nkukwo, coconut rice, fisherman soup....these are the real deal in cross river. kindly go back to Calabar, (not Ishibori or Obudu or Akamkpa) and sample all these meals that I have mentioned ; and then come and open a rejoinder thread.

No 7 is fallacious...Calabar girls are the real deal. Calabar girls are extremely neat, Atam(northern cross riverians) girls are far from neat, not in appearance o, I mean go to their homes, watch them organise.

The best Atam cook will not willingly enter a competition wt an average calabar cook.

Calabar girls are mostly reserved and restricted children,soft spoken and well versed in pampering a man, Atam girls are mostly promiscuous, sharp tongued and are yet to learn d skills of making their man feel like a king. Oh! The atam men sef dream of marrying a calabar girl.

Calabar people generally are well educated, due to their early encounter wt d missionaries...so when OP said the pple are lacking behind in terms of education, it is erroneous. King Eyamba the 5th some centuries ago wrote to the whites to " come and teach our people how to read book and how to know God" he went on to say how " plenty sugar cane live here" and went on to implore the white men to come and teach us what to process out of sugar cane ( please Google King Eyamba the fifth)
Calabar has recorded a lot of firsts in Nigeria (Google is ur friend).

Let me take a pause here...

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by GENERALCASHMIR(m): 6:59am On Mar 28, 2016
unite4real:
No9 is not true until you have tasted nsukka and otukpa palm wines from enugu and benue respectively

Served in benue C14,served in oturkpo,close to otukpa,my God the palm wine there is so sweet,heard its a taboo there to mix palm wine,with any another thing,you drink straight,and its very cheap,

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by prettyeyo: 7:04am On Mar 28, 2016
Very very correct observation... See why nysc is very good... The Westerners should travel more locally , so they can learn like this young man...

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by lagosrd: 8:06am On Mar 28, 2016
Bekwarra:

Bros burial for Cross River na another thing o. Na for their I see fireworks for burial. There are some times you go to school and see that 70% of your students are not in class and when you ask why they'll say "sir dem don go for bury down (burial)"

Did you visit
Okundi in iruan kwakwagan. BOKO west lga. Omo I served there. Ishibori girls na WA oooooo
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by ExplicitContent: 8:59am On Mar 28, 2016
johnfrankanoh:
I also schooled in Fedsco. What year did you graduate?
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by MyGeneration(m): 9:13am On Mar 28, 2016
ExplicitContent:
Lol.
Op dun touch down my state. I have been to almost every region in Nigeria believe me never seen a place like cross rivers.
Everything you said is valid but for;

Rurality- did you cover the southern part?
Akampka,yakurr,Obubra,ikom etc. & even if there should be a heirachy of most developed(urban) LGA's in the state bekwarra will be amongst the last 3. However I do agree with your input that the government should focus evenly on all parts of the state asides from cali.

Education; Lai Lai.. Yu dun go east? What about north. Even some parts in the west.
Omoh for this level we pass many.
I schooled in Maryknoll and Fedsco and majority of students in school came from different states all across the country.

All in all you on point.
For that witch aspect,no juz go ther o. I laugh when I hear ppl say na benin juju don pass.

You no enter ranch?
Una pass which east for education, maybe na ebonyi u dae refer to nah,
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by B2mario(m): 9:16am On Mar 28, 2016
[quote author=UNKNOWNSOJA post=44166077][/quote]

Oga no be quarrel, you don't know Abia state. Apart from Calabar, what's in cross river sef?

You said that Abia is dirty, that is a big lie. You judged Abia based on Aba but I'll assure you if you go round Aba your eyes will be wooow!
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Taiye4Christ(m): 9:32am On Mar 28, 2016
So true. All points so on point!
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 28, 2016
donem:

One love, besides your face looks like someone I've seen @ Gboko.
Yea I was in gboko.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by bord(m): 9:53am On Mar 28, 2016
Everything you mentioned as observation is nothing but the truth. I served in Cross River State, Ikom LGA. I attended burial like madt. And yes, i came across some barbaric people and presupposed witches but apart from that Cross River State is very peaceful and loving. Just that it was rain water I drank for the better part of my stay there. Cos most sachet pure water transported to our village were expired ones. I had one of my best times there though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 28, 2016
Eteo:
Op, reading ur post reminded me of the story of the six blind men who went to visit an elephant and each described d elephant based on d part of the elephants body that was touched.

When u mentioned d meals in cross river, I didn't see Afang soup, edikang ikong soup, abak (banga) soup, afia efere (white soup) , ekpang nkukwo, coconut rice, fisherman soup....these are the real deal in cross river. kindly go back to Calabar, (not Ishibori or Obudu or Akamkpa) and sample all these meals that I have mentioned ; and then come and open a rejoinder thread.

No 7 is fallacious...Calabar girls are the real deal. Calabar girls are extremely neat, Atam(northern cross riverians) girls are far from neat, not in appearance o, I mean go to their homes, watch them organise.

The best Atam cook will not willingly enter a competition wt an average calabar cook.

Calabar girls are mostly reserved and restricted children,soft spoken and well versed in pampering a man, Atam girls are mostly promiscuous, sharp tongued and are yet to learn d skills of making their man feel like a king. Oh! The atam men sef dream of marrying a calabar girl.

Calabar people generally are well educated, due to their early encounter wt d missionaries...so when OP said the pple are lacking behind in terms of education, it is erroneous. King Eyamba the 5th some centuries ago wrote to the whites to " come and teach our people how to read book and how to know God" he went on to say how " plenty sugar cane live here" and went on to implore the white men to come and teach us what to process out of sugar cane ( please Google King Eyamba the fifth)

Well done sir, congrats. Educated people don't refer to other people as atam. I've stayed in calabar and there are girls there that are more primitive than d atam people you are talking about. You talk about being neat, how many homes have you visited at calabar, oh probably Anantigha, Ekpo Bassey e. t. c are not part of calabar. You also mentioned in your post that Atam gals are promiscuous, u really don't know what you are talking about, calabar gals are known everywhere as sex machines. When we talk about runs, they have a first class in that. So pls sir with due respect sit, think, before coming here to spew words of hatred. The Op was talking about his experience in Cross River State and he mentioned some of the local govt areas he visited, it wasn't necessary for u to comment with such hate. I think it's your kind of persons that won't be happy to see people live happily as one. kai! you are so full of hate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by qwertygeni: 10:23am On Mar 28, 2016
I once worked in Abi LGA. I was amazed by the diversity in languages in the LGA. I remember Ebom Ebijakara, Adadama, Usumutong, Ediba, Bahumono, Anong, Afafanyi, Igonigon, and Ebiriba villages all have different and unique languages, so, it is a bit difficult communicating with folks from other villages. I still remember the ruins of the deserted Ebijakara villages after been marauded by the crusaders from Ebom...

I enjoyed every single moments of my stay in Calabar then. The Atimbo bushmeat delicacies, the everyday club grooves, the soothing company of sensual babes, the unending night life outings along Marian roads, the delicious cusines of the restaurants are just some out of the swell time I had in Cally town.

My Calabar south sojourn is another story for another day .
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Ribaman(m): 10:40am On Mar 28, 2016
MadCow1:

11. The Men are very lazy.. The women of the state are more hard working than the men.

12. The state has no real economic potential. As a fresh graduate, the opportunities in the sate are next to none.

On number 11, you are correct. (I am a native, I should know my own place. I am also male )
On number 12, you are wrong. In fact, very wrong.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by donem: 10:42am On Mar 28, 2016
pricelessngel:
Yea I was in gboko.
Was right, all the best.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Stevostical(m): 10:51am On Mar 28, 2016
UNKNOWNSOJA:

Glad to hear you served in Abuana, You must have lived in the same house or probably the same room I occupied when I was there. Ashipe, Docki, Old Soja, Akpako, Catch Fire...Those names shld strike a chord in your head. Endurance was my roommate, I visited him recently on my trip to Ekiti where he is based..I heard the shii that happened after my set left...that could never have happened when I was there...Me I stubborn gan...We go scatter the whole community if they try to do nonsense. But am glad the handled the matter well with the help of the DPO.

Ashiro yin ke!
You gatz be very stubborn niyen, and those names really struck a cord, remember the funny way they put "E" before every name, Op refused to add almost all principal if not all are crafty and will cheat you if you ain't careful, I show Mr Simon Okpelefu my stubborn side and im no believe im eyes because I get innocent face im think say im fit cheat me.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 28, 2016
ExplicitContent:

I graduated with the 2008 set. I'm sure we know each other.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 28, 2016
donem:
Was right, all the best.
Tanx, u too.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 28, 2016
johnfrankanoh:
I graduated with the 2008 set. I'm sure we know each other.
Are u Rita Anoh's bro?
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by IceMan85(m): 10:57am On Mar 28, 2016
Bekwarra:

Funny a student once told me "corpo virgin no dey dis our village, you see all these small girls wey you see, dem like preek like food, if you wan Bleep dem just give dem indomie." The next day Tope went to Igoli to get a carton of golden penny noodles. May God forgive Tope.
Hahahaha
They like indomie eh!
The same thing happened to a friend, the girl question like indomie and eggs. Once you can give her money for indomie and eggs, she'd be all yours.
The annoying thing is that my guy came back crying, that the girl was reading novel when he was busy displaying James bond and Jet Li skills
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by MadCow1: 10:59am On Mar 28, 2016
Ribaman:

On number 11, you are correct. (I am a native, I should know my own place. I am also male )
On number 12, you are wrong. In fact, very wrong.

I served in Cross Rivers State myself and I was really open to the thought of working and building a life in Calabar but the truth is that there is very very little employment opportunity in Calabar. The state had just lost its remaining oil wells to Akwa Ibim and had very little else going for it except the Tourism infrastructure left behind by duke which had obviously started to run down due to a lack of vision by the successor to Duke.

The bulk of the state's workers were civil servants and armed forces personnels. The sea port was comatose and was being kept alive by Dangote who was still importing his raw materials through the port. The Airport was just a transit point for passengers going to Akwa Ibim state. TINAPA was already over 60% dead at that time. There were just a handful of banks in the state. Agriculture was there but it was in the remote areas around Ikom axis of the state and they mostly grew plantain. The others who claimed to be business men were mostly into lifting petroleum products from the depot and selling. Even the hotels that were tops in Calabar before have all run down greatly since Uyo Airport opened. Even the Carnival is now a shadow of what it use to be and is a non profit making venture for the government that costs them money and loses them valuable manhours.

I didn't see any future for a young engineer like I was then in the state. In fact 2 of my friends who got retained by the banks they served in later had to leave the state for similar reasons.

I would like you to prove me wrong by stating the employment opportunities open to a young graduate in Cross Rivers outside of Government.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 28, 2016
johnfrankanoh:
Nothern cross river produces the best palm wine in the country. If i dey lie, make i bath naked for bathroom this night.
Tell am oh, their hatred no be here. I guess you are Anoh Rita's bro. she was my mate @fedsco. I graduated with d 2011 set.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by seeker121(m): 2:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
yes, you mean that Itigidi bridge .
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by sucobaba(m): 2:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
Where make I start from sef? Cross River...... A. Serene peaceful state.

Served in Obanliku LGA (extreme north east of the state)....Akorshi precisely (see me see Obudu town,see me see Cattle Ranch,see me see Boki with their thick forest,bananas,boki babes, potent N20 juju etc.

But for where,I dey my Akorshi....for "parish house" under the blessings of my parish priest St LIVINUS aka daddy Milly.
tongue tongue. tongue

Took me a whooping 9months to see a grinding machine to grind my delicious fresh pepper stew lol,manual blender don taya me tongue

Yam festival and burials na heavily groove (not a fan of burials so I didn't bother my self)...some people na so so big double mattress dey go dey carry upandan for yam festival celebration( Boki peeps I hail)

Enough of cassava for akpu yet garri is expensive lol,palm wine in. Abundance. (Love the Up wine....na so so sweet e go. Dey sweet till you're gone lol)

The way they coined their pidgin english na die...."Body dey find me"(I'm feeling sick"wink , "commot me here/ eye/road" (leave me alone/don't block my view), "who learn you"? (Who taught you?) Hahahhhhhhhha.....miss those peeps especially my student Ashikebe for those rib-cracking coinage.

You go hear "corpee", "corpoo".....jovial,warm and friendly poor people.

Boki is the only community in the north where they are a bit ok due to the presence of their thick forest (wood), banana and plantains, monkeys and reserve park

Didn't go anywhere unlike OP but I enjoyed my stay....surely our unity lies in our diversity.

God bless Nigeria
CR/14C

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by XwhY(m): 2:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
you are so on point. I'm currently serving in the state (yala obubra). they are very warm and friendly, corpers are 'kings' here. their girls gat it too.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
B2mario:

Oga no be quarrel, you don't know Abia state. Apart from Calabar, what's in cross river sef?

You said that Abia is dirty, that is a big lie. You judged Abia based on Aba but I'll assure you if you go round Aba your eyes will be wooow!

What is this one saying self Aba is in Kaduna state abi? Abi Umuahia the State Capital is not largely characterized by huge piles on trash scattered everywhere? Your arguments are not valis...Abia state is the worst state in south east...Period!
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Nobody: 5:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
Stevostical:

You gatz be very stubborn niyen, and those names really struck a cord, remember the funny way they put "E" before name, Op refused to add almost all principal if not all are crafty and will cheat you if you ain't careful, I show Mr Simon Okpelefu my stubborn side and im no believe im eyes because I get innocent face im think say im fit cheat me.

lol...Mr Simon Okpelefu mess up one time like that...I tell am say I no go come sch for two weeks straight... and I go still collect clearance for em hand... he dared me...and I no even bother enter sch for those two months. In the morning when everybody dey waka pass go sch, I go carry palmie sit down for that Mango tree wey dey in front of our logde dey drink. The man was so pissed off...buh, we go still greet each other every morning like say nothing dey happen. The community leaders had to arrange a meeting with a keg of palmie so we can settle the rift raft after my 2weeks...lol...He send one student come gimme my clearance at the end of the month..lol...you know say the man get hearing difficulty and na him dey treat virginal diseases for the community.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 6:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
Eteo:

If you read well, I said there are other delicious soups apart from what we know already from Calabar kitchens in Lagos. Besides you don't need to use derogatory words to describe those northerners. They may not be as exposed as Cali girls but they are surely more beautiful. Slim and shapely unlike the yam-legged big belly Calabar girls.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 6:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
bord:
Everything you mentioned as observation is nothing but the truth. I served in Cross River State, Ikom LGA. I attended burial like madt. And yes, i came across some barbaric people and presupposed witches but apart from that Cross River State is very peaceful and loving. Just that it was rain water I drank for the better part of my stay there. Cos most sachet pure water transported to our village were expired ones. I had one of my best times there though
It was there that I learnt how to drink water from the stream, I also fetched rain water like my life depended on it. I took my baths inside the village stream, cool and refreshing, I followed some of my students to farm. Come and see the joy on their faces. When I first followed one to the farm, the mother was so elated and surprised, she was just doing everything to please me. I could only clear a few yards of bush while the guy and 3 others made hundreds of big heaps in a matter of hours. In the evening the woman sent her son to come and call me from the lodge. When I got there, there was laid before me the biggest served akpu I've ever seen in my life with groundnut soup, bush meat and a jar of freshly tapped palmie. I ate till I couldn't move again and I had to be towed back to the lodge like a spoilt car when I became drunk with the palmie.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by iamgiggssleaky(m): 6:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
sashash:
correct guy.....Calabar was the place to be...14C...na later Municipal Gardens show...my fav joint was the bar by Mary Slessor Statue after Rabbana...I fear Calabar South ehn..boys dere no get joy

tuale sir.. as in eh, municipal gardens bin hit but na towards end of service year e begin happen tho I flex am well esp during that POP period.

oh! I sabi that joint for rabana but unto say my place near that fiesta side, I prefer to groove for atekong, buddies to be precise.

service year bin sure shaaaaaa
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by Bekwarra(m): 6:11pm On Mar 28, 2016
Stevostical:

You gatz be very stubborn niyen, and those names really struck a cord, remember the funny way they put "E" before every name, Op refused to add almost all principal if not all are crafty and will cheat you if you ain't careful, I show Mr Simon Okpelefu my stubborn side and im no believe im eyes because I get innocent face im think say im fit cheat me.
Naso o. Bekwarra pple put "I" (pronounced HE) in front og any name that's not there language. Eg Iwale, Itimothy, Ibible, Iphone, Itunde. One of us named Ladi was changed to Iladi. How far with that principal in Abuana and his uncountable children.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by dins4real(m): 6:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
Bekwarra:
I served this nation in Cross River state for the mandatory one-year NYSC programme. I passed out on July 2nd 2015 (CR/14B). I served in Bekwarra Local Government Area; two schools located in Akpakpa and later Afrike 1. Being someone that loves travelling and seeing places, I moved around the state and was able to visit 15 of the state's 18 LGAs so I can say I know some things about the state. These are 10 of my observations in the state of The People's Paradise.

1. The people are warm and friendly
Cross Riverians are a warm and friendly people. They are accommodating and drawn to visitors. They are always ready to help you if they see that you are a new face there. This was evident from when we got to the NYSC camp at Obubra. They are always very ready to help and they feel easily drawn to visitors. Someone like me who's always slow and cautious when making friend was able to make a handful of friends in a short period of time. I've been to a few places in Nigeria but the people of Cross River are some of the most friendly.

2. They Are Great Cooks

I once told a friend over phone while still in Cross River that "bro if your life depends on food and you want to marry solely for food, please get a Cross River chick". That Cross River women are good cooks is an understatement. Their girls and women are experts in cooking. Cooking for them comes with ease. They have these tasty and delicious soups gosh they are fantastic. Back in Lagos we are all used to Calabar kitchens and we respect their soups but I'm telling you there is more to their delicacies than Calabar soups. Back in Bekwarra I enjoyed tasty soups like Oturukpa, Akum, groundnut soup and Beniseed soup. It was also in Ogoja that I ate plantain porridge; unripe plantain cooked with palm oil, bitter leaf, crayfish and dry fish. What a delicacy. Whenever you visit Cross River, make sure you eat their local meals. I'll recommend beniseed with akpu. Their akpu is strong and hard jeez; more like something you can use to deworm by stoning the worms inside you to death. I nicknamed one girl fufu pounder due to her dexterity in handling the pestle. Bekwarra people cant do without eating akpu in a day.

3. It's A Largely Rural State

The state is a largely rural state in all ramifications. Apart from Calabar and a few other towns like Ogoja, Ikom and to a lesser extent Akampka and Obudu, Cross River state is largely rural. There's not much on ground in terms of infrastructure, development and economic activities. The government should do more in terms of infrastructure. They should stop concentrating on Calabar and allow development to spread especially to the northern part of the state. For example I don't have verifiable data but I can say that from my observations, Ikeja LG has more banks than the whole state. Successive governments seem to be concentrating development in Calabar which is an impressive and beautiful city already. No hustling in the state, if you are not a farmer then you are a civil servant. There are few economic activities. Even in Calabar, the peeps move to neighbouring states and towns especially PH to hustle. You don't hustle in Calabar, you spend. The city is expensive yet few economic activities happening there afford the people little opportunity to hustle unlike other big cities in Nigeria. For example Calabar is still sleeping by 6am, few people and cars on the road by that time unlike Lagos which is awake and on its feet already by 4am. I once told one of the teachers in my school that you can be caught in traffic in Lagos by 5am and he turned me to a liar. To him it's strange.

4. There's More To The State Than Calabar

So many people see Cross River and Calabar as the same. I used to feel the same until I went there. The state is one of the most diverse in Nigeria with over 33 languages being spoken there. Most people back in Lagos that called me during my service year or chatted with me usually told me "guy I hear say u dey serve for Calabar". I'll only shake my head and smile thinking that "these people don't know I'll spend between 5-6hrs going to Calabar from here". There are other people with culture and languages different from that of the Efik people. There are Bekwarra, Afrike, Ogoja, Yala, Boki, Obubra, Obudu people to mention a few. For example Bekwarra and Afrike people are in the same local government but they have similar but different languages..

5. Agriculture Is A Way of Life
Many outsiders who have never been to the state before see it as a riverine state whose major source of life is fishing. Many people see Cross River as this state of fishermen who love carnivals and festivals. Except the coastal parts of Cross River South and Central, other parts of the state are largely agrarian. They are mostly farmers. They take agriculture seriously and they never joke with it both males and females. Cross Riverian kids are introduced to agriculture at a very early stage. They go to the farm with their parents. If their men are not on the farm making heaps or clearing the bush, they'll be on the palm tree tapping or in the bush hunting. Their women are not left out; they are either planting cassava, peeling cassava and making garri, making palm oil (well refined) or back home preparing akpu and soup. These industrious people love agriculture a lot and this is responsible for cheap food. Food is so cheap and with a little amount, you can eat to your satisfaction with the exception of Calabar obviously. They have food and farm products in abundance and at cheap prices. One of the things I cherish most about them is that they are hard workers. I respect them a lot.
The government still needs to help them a lot in the area of improved seeds, fertilizers, mechanized farming (almost non-existent) and to stem the scourge of Fulani herdsmen (I witnessed a lot of confrontations between the villagers and the nomads)

6. Backward Educationally
This is a general problem in Nigeria. Education in this country is a joke but some states are still better than others. I can't vouch for any northern state but in the context of southern states, education in Cross River still has some catching up to do. I can't say for South East and South South states but placing Cross River state beside South Western states, there is a very big gulf. Education is not really taken serious us here and the government also is not really helping matters in this regard. Their children and parents don't take education serious and the few who do are not encouraged by the government. Majority of schools in the rural parts depend on corp members for staff strength. The quality of education is low and examination malpractice is rampant and encouraged. I can recollect my VP once telling the students to learn how to write fast when note is being dictated because during their external exam nobody will slow down for them when answers are being dictated. The bitter truth is, the state still have a long way to go in terms of education.

7. Calabar Girls Are Not The Real Deal
Whenever you mention Cross River, Calabar comes to mind and merely hearing Calabar, two things come to mind; their soups and girls. Many people do have the erroneous belief that Cali girls are so beautiful, exotic and refined more than any other in the state. Although, Cali girls are more popular and more exposed but when it comes to beauty, I'll unequivocally give it to Ogoja girls especially those of Igoli and Ishibori. They are beautiful in the pure and real sense of it. They are ravishing, homely and naturally beautiful. Worthy of note are also some Bekwarra girls (not many), Ikom, Boki, Obudu and Obubra girls.

8. They Love Burial Ceremonies
This is one of the highlights of many villages. Burial is only second to Christmas. Burial ceremonies are big occasions. Naming and wedding ceremonies are more of rarity but burial ceremonies are the big deal. The whole place is always agog with preparations and they spend a lot on it. They don't like burying their dead outside their villages so they don't mind bringing them in from other parts of the country where they died. Their burials last for weeks or more at times. Although I didn't witness any naming ceremony and only witnessed a single wedding ceremony, I witness lots of burial ceremonies which not only for old people. A 30-year old man's burial will see food being cooked and guests been fed.

9. They Have The Best Palm Wine
One of the things that made me enjoy my stay in Cross River is palm wine. Cross River especially the northern part is a land of palm wine. If you've been there before, you can't but attest to the fact that they have superb palm wine. I'll say it's the best in Nigeria. I had many drunken days there. My students spoilt me with it, my VP being a tapper too was also culpable. They have two varieties; the up one and the down one. The up one is fresher, richer and definitely costlier. It is the one that's tapped from the top of the palm tree. The down one is cheaper but greatly more intoxicating. You get drunk easily while drinking it. It's gotten from palm trees that have already been cut down. You can get the best palm wine in places like Afrike (Bekwarra), Mbube (Ogoja), Okpoma (Yala) and Obudu. They have it in abundance and it is cheap.

10. They love to enjoy themselves. No matter how poor this people are, they still find time to enjoy themselves. They love dancing to a fault and not only that, they are expert dancers. Gosh these people can dance. The way they wiggle their bodies is something else even the small ones among them. They love their ceremonies and most especially new yam festival. The Calabar Carnival is a shining crown on all their festivals. There are lots of other festivals and events to witness in Cross River. Sundays are always bubbling even the most rural villages. People go out to drink, see friends, hold meetings and unwind. In short they love to unwind and enjoy themselves. Their Christianity does not stop them from drinking and making merry.

Other notable observations are that they are generally Christian mostly Catholics and Assemblies of God members, it is a very big state, only Oyo state is bigger in southern Nigeria, there are some parts where you'll have a foot in Nigeria and the other in Cameroun (there are some parts in Lagos state where you won't know whether you are in Lagos or Ogun state, the same is applicable in Cross River), life is serene and generally peaceful, no hold ups, no shouting and cursing and the hustle and bustle of city life, if you've never seen a witch in real life go to some parts of Bekwarra like Ebegang and Anyikang, nature is at its best here with nice scenery.
These are my observations of about a year that I spent in the state. My stay their was enjoyable and fulfilling, a few disappointments and a lot of memorable moments. I'll love to visit the state again. I may be wrong in some of my observations but those are the things I observed as a CrossKopa who served in Bekwarra and was able to visit 15 out of 18LGs. Your views are welcome from both indigenes and non-indigenes.
cool grin grin angry cool grin grin cheesy

Op, u are too much. All of ur observations were on point. In cross river, they have more than 33 local dialect. I serve in Boki East July 2011/ June 2012. In boki alone, they have different dialect, to the extend that a person in wula can't understand someone in bateriko, same in boki east.
On my last count, I am being in Cross river for more than 6 times after service. Oh boy that place is sweet die. I tell u.
Can't wait to go there again and get entertained!!! grin grin
Re: 10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year by iamgiggssleaky(m): 7:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
UNKNOWNSOJA:

cry

There are better tinz to do in Calabar besides the girls jare...You can visit Marina resort, where you can sip fruit juice or Cold beer by the sea, thereafter, you can visit the Slave History Museum at the resort... You fit cry inside the museum after you watch the short movie wey dey dem show inside that museum, before you go from one dark room to another where first class art works of slaves are on display with soft background slave music....Its first class, compared to what i saw in both Togo and Ghana...#Trash..My favourite is the Airport Joint! Chai, That airport dey full from 4pm upwards...joints every where with correct fish, assorted suya and beer on the lush green grass. If you are kinky,and less-Pastoral, You might as well want to visit Flour Mills on Muritala Muhammad way at night for some Exotic Calabar Calabar flavoured quickie...lol..*runs out of thread*

I've caught you finally... So you patronize those flour mill girls abi?

I would have reported you to kurawa back then lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Visit To Abuja National Park & Zoo / If You Travel By Air A Lot, Beware Of Over Friendly Chatty Seat Neighbours. / Lagos Conductor Sleeping On Duty While Car Is Moving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.