Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,804 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Preparing For PTE? Get In Here - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Preparing For PTE? Get In Here (105958 Views)

SUV Crushes 23-Year-Old EBSU Graduate Preparing For NYSC In Lagos / PTE & Ieits Which Is Easier / Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2017
Azy123:
What you said about a typical Nigerian is true. Especially for those sounds that do not exist in our mother tongues.

For PTE pronounciation. I have seen someone who scored 58 in Pronunciation, OF - 86 and had 80 in Speaking.

Another 59 in Pronunciation, OF - 79 with 79 in speaking.

Also I had 50 in pronunciation, OF - 80 in one of the mock test and 80 in Speaking.

And someone who scored - 60 in Pronunciation, OF - 89 and 90 in speaking.

What i think makes the difference is the Content.

So, now my aim is to increase fluency without affecting pronunciation (if I can get 55 - 60 in pronunciation, I will be very happy:-)

Plus Good content.

Pronunciation is more than producing the sound and speech to text recognizing your words. Stress is very important. It determines if we get a score of 3 or 4 in pronunciation. And to score 60 or above out of 90 in pronunciation. We need to score almost equal numbers of 4 and some 3 out of 5 in each question where pronunciation is scored. thats like 3.5 out of 5 = 63 out of 90

have you done yours again? need someone to enlighten me on that pronunciation.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 6:56pm On Dec 22, 2017
stepo707:

Yea thanks.Am not giving up....just need to learn tips on how to perfect my pronunciation and make the computer detect my words.Also how to be better at retell lecture and describe image....I was only good at the introduction of images.
They brought out maps,bar graphs and one diagram and table.

stepo707

My last mock test result is similar to your outcome. I think you're on a good path considering that your fluency is okay.

The aim for speaking is to look out for model answers and try to answer the same way.

Trying to improve fluency may somehow backfire on pronunciation because the more you want your speech to be smooth without unnatural pauses, the more you find yourself speaking faster.

A tip to note when doing Read Aloud: in the time allocated to skim through the text, have a mental note of the focus words as much as you can and ensure you hit high decibels when pronouncing these words.

I'm afraid the only way is practice practice practice.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 7:13pm On Dec 22, 2017
Bamz:

stepo707

My last mock test result is similar to your outcome. I think you're on a good path considering that your fluency is okay.

The aim for speaking is to look out for model answers and try to answer the same way.

Trying to improve fluency may somehow backfire on pronunciation because the more you want your speech to be smooth without unnatural pauses, the more you find yourself speaking faster.

A tip to note when doing Read Aloud: in the time allocated to skim through the text, have a mental note of the focus words as much as you can and ensure you hit high decibels when pronouncing these words.

I'm afraid the only way is practice practice practice.
Thanks brother.i felt it's from retell lecture and describe image am getting this pronunciation mistake.as well as repeat sentence.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 7:23pm On Dec 22, 2017
stepo707:

Thanks brother.i felt it's from retell lecture and describe image am getting this pronunciation mistake.as well as repeat sentence.

I think one should aim for perfection. It's very possible. Factors such as environment, state of mind, anxiety could influence result.

You may get discouraged if you flunk one or two repeat sentences but the point is to keep going.

Content (which we are mostly bothered about) is only one third of the scoring. I reckon that with a lot of practice one may shift the attention to scoring high in fluency and pronunciation.

Oh listen to your self a lot. You can record stuff and ask someone how clear you sound and all that stuff. We share more tips as I'm currently studying too.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2017
Bamz:

I think one should aim for perfection. It's very possible. Factors such as environment, state of mind, anxiety could influence result.

You may get discouraged if you flunk one or two repeat sentences but the point is to keep going.

Content (which we are mostly bothered about) is only one third of the scoring. I reckon that with a lot of practice one may shift the attention to scoring high in fluency and pronunciation.

Oh listen to your self a lot. You can record stuff and ask someone how clear you sound and all that stuff. We share more tips as I'm currently studying too.
Thanks.will try this b4 next test.i was abit nervous
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 2:36pm On Dec 23, 2017
stepo707:

Thanks.will try this b4 next test.i was abit nervous

http://toefl.uobabylon.edu.iq/papers/pearson_2015_12619610.pdf

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 4:28pm On Dec 28, 2017
I just got my PTE Results
L/S/R/W - 85/69/82/90

I'm looking for minimum 79 in speaking.
Can anyone please help?
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 4:34pm On Dec 28, 2017
idNG:
I just got my PTE Results
L/S/R/W - 85/69/82/90

I'm looking for minimum 79 in speaking.
Can anyone please help?
Wow you tried...what was your pronunciation and fluency score?
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 5:27pm On Dec 28, 2017
stepo707:

Wow you tried...what was your pronunciation and fluency score?

P 58
OF 67

Please I need help or a study group to rub minds with.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 7:05pm On Dec 28, 2017
idNG:

P 58
OF 67

Please I need help or a study group to rub minds with.
UseE2 Jay on YouTube.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2017
stepo707:

result is out and speaking and reading messed me up with score 68 and 74 respectively
my writing and listening are 81 respectively.

My pronunciation was very very low.am so devastated now as i needed 20pts for my PR

Listening 81
Reading 74
Speaking 68
Writing 81
Oral Fluency 77
Grammar 81
Pronunciation 23
Spelling 88
Vocabulary 86
written discourse 69

I have taken my first test. My result is very funny considering I was expecting 79+ in Reading and Writing.

Listening 63
Reading 83
Speaking 68
Writing 67

Oral Fluency 63
Grammar 78
Pronunciation 49
Spelling 90
Vocabulary 90
Written Discourse 79

PS. I did not finish Listening maybe that was accounted for my low scores but the score for my Writing is debatable. I've never scored less than 79 in Writing even in mock tests.

cc: afolaseg
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 9:53pm On Dec 28, 2017
Bamz:

I have taken my first test. My result is very funny considering I was expecting 79+ in Reading and Writing.

Listening 63
Reading 83
Speaking 68
Writing 67

Oral Fluency 63
Grammar 78
Pronunciation 49
Spelling 90
Vocabulary 90
Written Discourse 79

PS. I did not finish Listening maybe that was accounted for my low scores but the score for my Writing is debatable. I've never scored less than 79 in Writing even in mock tests.

Impressive result for a first test.
As you did not finish your listening test, you shouldn't expect great writing scores because I don't think you were able to do "write from dictation."
I have been pondering on the speaking test and I think it will take great confidence to get 79+ when speaking. (I'm yet to achieve this myself).

From the little I know: You should try and work faster next time and pay close attention to SWT, SST and FIB/R&W

I wil recommend PTE Academic Testbuilder and PTE Academic Practice Test Plus. Both books come with CD. Study the materials at least twice before taking your next test.

Shalom!
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 10:02pm On Dec 28, 2017
stepo707:

UseE2 Jay on YouTube.

Thanks.
I follow E2 Language on YouTube.
I'm looking for other great materials to work with.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 12:39am On Dec 29, 2017
idNG:

Impressive result for a first test.
As you did not finish your listening test, you shouldn't expect great writing scores because I don't think you were able to do "write from dictation."

You are so spot on, I was just about to start writing dictation before the time petered out.

idNG:

I have been pondering on the speaking test and I think it will take great confidence to get 79+ when speaking. (I'm yet to achieve this myself).

I'm glad that I took the test in an uncontrolled environment. Environment influences the result a great deal and we were 4 including me at my center. I suppose the guy closest to me should be getting a 90 in speaking. His voice totally drowned mine, and somehow affected my retell lecture. I should be looking forward to a quieter (more VIP setting) centres smiley. I'm open to suggestions. Btw I went to LCF.

For speaking, I've been thinking quite a lot too, 79+ is achievable. When I get the trick, I will let you know but one thing is sure: doing the same thing won't yield a different result.

I understand that 'content' isn't the all in all. You want to improve your pronunciation, yet you don't want your fluency to be hindered. One thing I would try is to 'open my mouth more' when I'm doing the speaking exercise. I believe this would require a conscious effort.

I intend sending my recordings to a friend to see how well I'm improving as well.

idNG:

From the little I know: You should try and work faster next time and pay close attention to SWT, SST and FIB/R&W

I wil recommend PTE Academic Testbuilder and PTE Academic Practice Test Plus. Both books come with CD. Study the materials at least twice before taking your next test.

Shalom!

Thanks, I actually find all the tasks exciting lol. I used those materials but I'm sure they are the outdated ones.Something tells me that I need a hardcopy for the PTE Academic Testbuilder. That book is very helpful particularly the student answers.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 3:09am On Dec 29, 2017
Bamz:

Listening 63
Reading 83
Speaking 68
Writing 67

Oral Fluency 63
Grammar 78
Pronunciation 49
Spelling 90
Vocabulary 90
Written Discourse 79

Oh no.whay happened in your listening and writing? Some tasks in listening contributes to your score In Writing though.Tou need to identify your weak areas.Am redoing mine again in about a forthright to work on speaking.Reading it was the time that messed me up.so I need to be fast henceforth.
So you need to identify your weak areas and work on it.obviously you need to work on being faster.The earlier you redo, the better since all the methods you used are still in your head

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 6:32am On Dec 29, 2017
Bamz:

You are so spot on, I was just about to start writing dictation before the time petered out.

I'm glad that I took the test in an uncontrolled environment. Environment influences the result a great deal and we were 4 including me at my center. I suppose the guy closest to me should be getting a 90 in speaking. His voice totally drowned mine, and somehow affected my retell lecture. I should be looking forward to a quieter (more VIP setting) centres smiley. I'm open to suggestions. Btw I went to LCF.

For speaking, I've been thinking quite a lot too, 79+ is achievable. When I get the trick, I will let you know but one thing is sure: doing the same thing won't yield a different result.

I understand that 'content' isn't the all in all. You want to improve your pronunciation, yet you don't want your fluency to be hindered. One thing I would try is to 'open my mouth more' when I'm doing the speaking exercise. I believe this would require a conscious effort.

I intend sending my recordings to a friend to see how well I'm improving as well.

Thanks, I actually find all the tasks exciting lol. I used those materials but I'm sure they are the outdated ones.Something tells me that I need a hardcopy for the PTE Academic Testbuilder. That book is very helpful particularly the student answers.

People I know with great speaking scores tell me they do not notice anything wrong with my speaking. This gets me really confused.
I don't think speaking faster is the way to go as I have been told by those who have broken d speaking code.
I think opening the mouth wider and using hand movements while speaking will help. Also placing stress on keywords is key.
God help us all!

What current materials do you have? I will like to have them too. As per the Testbuilder book, I find it not too interesting especially the way re-order paragraph is structured. Its a great book though because it prepares you for the toughest moments in PTE.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 6:38am On Dec 29, 2017
Bamz:

People I know with great speaking scores tell me they do not notice anything wrong with my speaking. This gets me really confused.
I don't think speaking faster is the way to go as I have been told by those who have broken d speaking code.
I think opening the mouth wider and using hand movements while speaking will help. Also placing stress on keywords is key.
God help us all!

What current materials do you have? I will like to have them too. As per the Testbuilder book, I find it not too interesting especially the way re-order paragraph is structured. Its a great book though because it prepares you for the toughest moments in PTE.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Azy123(m): 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2017
I need someone to enlighten me too grin. I'm still battling with it.

Good luck in our pursuit.

stepo707:

have you done yours again? need someone to enlighten me on that pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 6:54pm On Dec 29, 2017
Azy123:

Hahahahahhaha.make Dem just give person 79.make person carry go
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 8:48pm On Dec 29, 2017
Azy123:

Has anyone considered going for a rescore?
You just might be lucky
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 9:04pm On Dec 29, 2017
40manlappy:
Wifey scored Listening-80, Reading-74, Speaking-65, Writing-88 in December.

Retook the test yesterday after a very vigorous preparation and got the following;

Listening-90, Reading-76, Speaking-90, Writing-90

Considering a rescore embarassed

Please does anyone have 40manlappy's contact? Please share with us.

His wife is in the best position to tell us how to improve on speaking especially after previous attempts were unsuccessful.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 10:04am On Dec 30, 2017
idNG:

Please does anyone have 40manlappy's contact? Please share with us.

His wife is in the best position to tell us how to improve on speaking especially after previous attempts were unsuccessful.

i just did moct test just now...Here is what i observed especially for the retell lecture part.I wrote most of the points but because i was writing too fast, my writing was not so clear and so i could not retell properly as it gave me some few hesitations and i was just talking without looking at the time and so i could not give conclusions and the one that i gave conclusion, i got cut off while talking.am sure it will have an effect on my grammar.
Also for describe image, i was talking too much on content instead of just giving the main trends...i could not give conclusion...its important to give conclusion.am sure it will ahve an effect on my grammar score as well but i was more confident than previous test i did.

So i guess the more you practise the mock test, the better confident you are.Also i was more faster in the reading aspect.
cc Azy123 Bamz
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 10:22am On Dec 30, 2017
Here is good https://ptestudy.com for loads of real practise and answer. infact i saw 5 of the questions that were given to me in describe image there.also some questions from reading...in other words pte uses past questions a lot...just to practise from this sites.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 11:06am On Dec 30, 2017
stepo707:

i just did moct test just now...Here is what i observed especially for the retell lecture part.I wrote most of the points but because i was writing too fast, my writing was not so clear and so i could not retell properly as it gave me some few hesitations and i was just talking without looking at the time and so i could not give conclusions and the one that i gave conclusion, i got cut off while talking.am sure it will have an effect on my grammar.
Also for describe image, i was talking too much on content instead of just giving the main trends...i could not give conclusion...its important to give conclusion.am sure it will ahve an effect on my grammar score as well but i was more confident than previous test i did.

So i guess the more you practise the mock test, the better confident you are.Also i was more faster in the reading aspect.
cc Azy123 Bamz

Nice work.
For retell lecture I use the format recommended by Steven Fernandez in his book the "Ultimate Guide to PTE Academic."
This is the template I use:

-The lecture was a stimulating speech (given by the speaker)/(between two individuals) on...

-The lecture described in great detail...

- Another important point covered in the lecture was...

-In conclusion the lecture talked about...

With this method, understanding the topic sentence, giving two points from the lecture with a conclusion will effectively cover 35seconds of speaking. This means I will have more than 10 seconds preparation time and write my two points clearly before I start speaking to enhance my fluency and pronunciation which is the game changer for the speaking section.
Moreover, giving a conclusion always increases your score by at least 1 mark but it may not be possible in all scenarios as it is far worse to be cut off in mid sentence.

And from studies I think Read Aloud and Describe Image also carry alot of weight to Speaking Score.
I usually make mistakes in Read Aloud and that's what I want to work on.

Please let us know the result of your mock test.
Shalom!

cc Azy123 Bamz

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 11:30am On Dec 30, 2017
idNG:

Nice work.
For retell lecture I use the format recommended by Steven Fernandez in his book the "Ultimate Guide to PTE Academic."

-The lecture was a stimulating speech (given by the speaker)/(between two individuals) on...

With this method, understanding the topic sentence, giving two points from the lecture with a conclusion will effectively cover 35seconds of speaking. This means I will have more than 10 seconds preparation time and write my two points clearly before I start speaking to enhance my fluency and pronunciation which is the game changer for the speaking section.
Moreover, giving a conclusion always increases your score by at least 1 mark but it may not be possible in all scenarios as it is far worse to be cut off in mid sentence.

And from studies I think Read Aloud and Describe Image also carry alot of weight to Speaking Score.

Shalom!

cc Azy123 Bamz

You are right about the retell lecture part.I have a format from jay though just that cos am writing the points too fast i hardly can comprehend them to put into sentence....what i discover from the mock test i wrote now is that i have to speak more fast.speaking fast is the key as it will help your fluency score...i has 67 as fluency score and 30 as pronunciation...my speaking socre was 58 which is the least from all i have done so far due to the various mistakes i highlighted....if you go to that ptestudy.com, you willl see ploads of ractise questions and most of them i saw in real test...They also have answers for them
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2017
stepo707:

You are right about the retell lecture part.I have a format from jay though just that cos am writing the points too fast i hardly can comprehend them to put into sentence....what i discover from the mock test i wrote now is that i have to speak more fast.speaking fast is the key as it will help your fluency score...i has 67 as fluency score and 30 as pronunciation...my speaking socre was 58 which is the least from all i have done so far due to the various mistakes i highlighted....if you go to that ptestudy.com, you willl see ploads of ractise questions and most of them i saw in real test...They also have answers for them

Yeah, the material is great. Check "wenbo.tv" too. Another great piece for Retell Lecture, Describe Image and Repeat Sentence.
We won't be deterred. The speaking code must be cracked!
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by praiseisgood: 1:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
For pronunciation and oral fluency, the BBC site is loaded with helpful materials.

The ones I found really helpful include:

1) The Sounds of English (also on YouTube for download). This is very key especially where she compares sounds. There are some sounds in English (diphthongs) but not in our local dielects and vice versa. Never thought the 'ex' in most words starting witg 'exa' such as 'exalted' , 'exam', example sounded as 'igz'

2) Tim pronunciation workshops

3) 6 minutes English.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/pronunciation

Not yet there but inching closer.

We will all get there.

1 Like

Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by praiseisgood: 1:38pm On Dec 31, 2017
For pronunciation and oral fluency, the BBC site is loaded with helpful materials.

The ones I found really helpful include:

1) The Sounds of English (also on YouTube for download). This is very key especially where she compares sounds. There are some sounds in English (diphthongs) but not in our local dielects and vice versa. Never thought the 'ex' in most words starting witg 'exa' such as 'exalted' , 'exam', example sounded as 'igz'

2) Tim pronunciation workshops

3) 6 minutes English.

www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/pronunciation

Not yet there but inching closer.

We will all get there.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 10:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
idNG:

God help us all!

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-prepare-for-PTE-Pearson-Test-in-English

I'm following Joshin John's method with some modifications.

I have no hard copy textbooks.
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by Bamz(m): 10:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
stepo707:

cc Azy123 Bamz

Thanks for this and the site that you shared. Grammar or content scores? Anyway, the important thing is to get things right.

idNG:

Nice work.

Shalom!

cc Azy123 Bamz

I'm not sure it's imperative to give a conclusion for Retell Lecture. Thanks for the site that you shared although it's in Chinese.

Is there any reclusive test centre in Lagos?
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by idNG: 8:40am On Jan 03, 2018
Bamz:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-prepare-for-PTE-Pearson-Test-in-English

I'm following Joshin John's method with some modifications.

I have no hard copy textbooks.

If you check through wenbo.tv you will see a lot of describe image audio transcripts to aid your preparation. Check through the recordings are in English.

Please can anyone help me with "The Official Guide to PTE ACADEMIC." Pearson Test of English Academic. Please attach CD.
My email is: idokxx0@gmail.com
It's a zero after the 'double x.'

I would really appreciate this.
Thanks
Re: Preparing For PTE? Get In Here by stepo707: 12:09pm On Jan 04, 2018
Hi guys...apart from the score card sent to our email, are we supposed to pick our result at the centre we wrote our PTE?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (29) (Reply)

Reasons Not To Go To North Cyprus To Study And Work. / Ugly Britain / Tanker Fire On Lagos Ibadan Expressway: Corpses Evacuated, Eyewitness Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.