Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:49 AM

Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? (8458 Views)

Adedamola Aderemi, Late Ooni Of Ife’s Grandson Tipped To Become King (pics) / Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / How Did You Learn Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by chyk91(m): 8:03am On Jul 28, 2009
its gonna be hard to learn o, but its possible and depends on how determined u are.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Vuitton(m): 8:37am On Jul 28, 2009
Its definitely never too late my brother. But what is your native language?

Is it igbo, urhobo or  
I face the same problem as a Deltan and it bothers me so often cos i wonder how my children will fare if i do inter tribal marrige. . . . .     cry  cry
I tried getting a job in my state of origin last year so i could use the opportunity to learn the language, but it was not to be as i got an offer in Lagos and the rest is history cool
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nezan(m): 9:40am On Jul 28, 2009
chyk91:

its possible and depends on how determined u are.
determination is the father of all inventions
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by UNLEASHED(m): 9:59am On Jul 28, 2009
It's not too late
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 28, 2009
maybe u should move over to peckam, since the Nigerian community there is large, especially the yoruba's
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nija4Life(m): 1:44pm On Jul 28, 2009
Please do whatever it takes to learn it if you can. Unfortunaley Nigeria has become a country where more people are increasingly choosing not to speak their language to their children. I fear for this present generation of kids - we may end up having a whole generation without a mother tongue! I have a 7-month old son here in the UK and I and my wife have vowed to only speak Ibo to him. Our local languages are heading for extinction and if we don't do our bit to reverse this trend, history will not judge us kindly
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by rasputinn(m): 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
[quote ]
Sometimes I think it's too late to learn now, particularly as almost everyone with whom I interract in Nigeria knows English, and the precious few that don't may not be with us for very much longer.
[quote][/quote]

It's a good thing to come to this state of self realisation,I cannot but congratulate you heartily.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by CrazyMan(m): 3:15pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Poster.

It's never too late. After all, a lot of nigerians go abroad and learn foreign languages. . . so why should yours be a problem?

But if you really want to learn it, then I would suggest that you move closer to home; take a trip to your state and try and mix up with as many people as possible; and believe me your inability to speak your home language would be a thing of the past. wink
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by chiksman: 3:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
:d
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Outstrip(f): 6:08pm On Jul 28, 2009
I want to learn Igbo. I wish there was Rosetta Stone for Igbo. My mom is Igbo and I cannot stand most things about my Dad's culture. Where do you live? I know in my city they have Yoruba school where they teach yoruba language and culture. You can look and see if they have a school for your language
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by phatjoe(m): 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2009
som of us born and breed in a stange find it very diifficult to speak our dialect.
any way wif determination, no matter our age we can be able to learn about
how to speak,read and write in our mother, we just to allow ourselves to teachable
we just need one quality-HUMILITY.Also we want to be proud of our cultural heritage.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Afam4eva(m): 7:38pm On Jul 28, 2009
This topic has been flogged over and over again. I don't know why some nigerians want to speak english more than the people who own the langauge. It's totally the fault of parents who did not teach their wards how to speak their local language. it's also the fault of their wards who refused to learn after growing up. This behavior is prevalent amongst igbos.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nija4Life(m): 8:03pm On Jul 28, 2009
You are spot on 'Afam4eva', it is very worrying that our people have discarded our language in favour of English. I wonder if our language especially Ibo) will be spoken in 50 years time. I remember not too long ago I asked one of my friends here in the UK if they spoke Ibo to their son and his wife answered "No, we don't want him to learn Ibo", that sums it up.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2009
I hope one day beign able to speak one's language will become a one of the criterias for getting employment in nigeria.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by zibby(m): 8:40pm On Jul 28, 2009
Andre Uweh:

Zibby: It is not certain what language you wish to learn. I think you have to be specific here. I understand you leave in London. If you are Igbo and needs help in Igbo language. Then, I will recommend an Igbo organisation that has been helping Young Igbo people to learn the language. It is not too late and can never be too late to learn your language.

Hi Andre, I'm actually Igbo. What's the name of this organisation?

Outstrip:

I want to learn Igbo. I wish there was Rosetta Stone for Igbo.

Lol! Rosetta Stone for Igbo. Now that would be nice! smiley
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by asha80(m): 8:59pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nija4Life:

You are spot on 'Afam4eva', it is very worrying that our people have discarded our language in favour of English. I wonder if our language especially Ibo) will be spoken in 50 years time. I remember not too long ago I asked one of my friends here in the UK if they spoke Ibo to their son and his wife answered "No, we don't want him to learn Ibo", that sums it up.

My guy if possible speak concetrated igbo to your children.After all the will learn english in school.Do not mind those guys.Only english my foot.People do not seem to realise that a child from 0-7 years is able to learn and speak up to five different languages without confusing one for the other.Wasn't lemar born and brought up in uk?How come he can speak and understand igbo quite well even of with an english accent?
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by AndreUweh(m): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Zibby
The IGBO CULTURAL SUPPORT NETWORK (www.icsn.co.uk) AKA Igbo Youths is hereby recommended for you. This is an association of over 700 registered members in the UK and about 1,200 on the facebook. The aims of the Organisation is to promote Igbo language and culture to Igbo Youths in the UK and to foster healthy relationships amongst members.
The Igbo Youths UK organises Igbo lessons on regular basis and meetings are held on every second Sunday of each month and Venue is at Blackfriars road SE1, London. The July's Igbo lesson was on:clock, minutes, seconds and calculations. I think August meeting will be special.
 You may register online as registration is free.
 Chi gozie gi.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nezan(m): 10:09am On Jul 29, 2009
afam4eva:

I hope one day beign able to speak one's language will become a one of the criterias for getting employment in nigeria.
In your dreamz, Naijans no go troway de godfatherism criteria for language
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by atilla(m): 10:12am On Jul 29, 2009
@jarus

is it possible that i can get in touch with ur friend that teaches Yoruba. Im desperate to learn, my accent sounds like im speaking igbo lol
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:25am On Jul 29, 2009
no, it's not too late to learn
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by ennainot(f): 2:55pm On Jul 29, 2009
No. It is never too late to learn your Mother Tongue or any other language for that matter.
To achieve this,you may need to invest in tapes or audio material in the target language,books and if possible increase your contact with people who speak the language. An adult learning learning a new language is like a toddler taking his first steps,definitely going to make mistakes and people will probably mock your haltering attempt,but dont let that deter you.Use the language as often as you can.
You will be fluent soon.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2009
people are still learning new languages as we speak.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 31, 2009
Outstrip:

I want to learn Igbo. I wish there was Rosetta Stone for Igbo. My mom is Igbo and I cannot stand most things about my Dad's culture. Where do you live? I know in my city they have Yoruba school where they teach yoruba language and culture. You can look and see if they have a school for your language

You can learn Igbo for free online at http://ndebe..com

1 Like

Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by CrazyMan(m): 2:37pm On Aug 01, 2009
Outstrip:

I want to learn Igbo. I wish there was Rosetta Stone for Igbo. My mom is Igbo

Learning Ibo isn’t as hard as you thing; infact all languages aren’t hard provided you speak it often. So don’t go hard on yourself for not knowing how to speak it.

If you need any guidelines, I’m always here to assist you provided you stretch forth your right hand of friendship; and believe me, you would learn it in no time. smiley
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by GeorgeD1(m): 2:29pm On Aug 02, 2009
not impossible but some just never see the need to learn it.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by chukwudi01: 3:42pm On Aug 02, 2009
I'm in the same boat as those that can hear but can't speak. I think I'd have no problem learning to converse in Igbo if I learned it in a classroom setting. If you see the way I tackled German in high school!
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:47am On Aug 03, 2009
they do teach igbo language in classrooms too.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by chidiogor: 1:30pm On Aug 03, 2009
never ever too late.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 03, 2009
Learn Igbo Free Online here:  grin

[size=24pt]http://ndebe..com

The Ndebe Project[/size]
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by mamag3: 6:41pm On Aug 04, 2009
No, Everyone is a learner.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by otokx(m): 9:08pm On Aug 05, 2009
no its never too late.
Re: Is It Ever Too Late To Learn Your Language? by chukwudi01: 6:03am On Aug 06, 2009
sugabelly:

Learn Igbo Free Online here:  grin

[size=24pt]http://ndebe..com

The Ndebe Project[/size]
What's with the funky squiggles on your website?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alfred Achebe's Entrepreneurship Development & Skill Empowers 70 Youths / The Most Progressive African Country / Can Someone Translate This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.