Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,935 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter (27764 Views)

Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? / My Experience With HIV Testing Today. / A Man Looses A Whole Limb To Traditional Bone Setter (graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by freecocoa(f): 11:38pm On Mar 27, 2016
I have a relate who lost an arm to those traditional bone setters, but then one also helped my dad when he broke his hand on a trip to the village.
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by DrAda(f): 11:39pm On Mar 27, 2016
I must say that I am petrified at some of the comments. It explains a whole lot. To quote my daughter "Are you guys for real?"

4 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by bloodykiller: 11:41pm On Mar 27, 2016
bluejeff:
My younger bro almost lost his arm to this people. He broke his hand while playing with his friend. Mom wasn't around so he was taken to a bone setter, unfortunately she placed the broken ends of the bone on each other rather than joining both ends.
After about 2 days, pain got unbearable, hand was swollen and was beginning to turn to something else.
not everyone sabi that thing ooo but if you meet the people wey sabi am meehn you'll be wowed.

I have seen with my eyes
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by macino1(m): 11:42pm On Mar 27, 2016
Poor little boy. Those bone setters are only underated.
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by mamawin(f): 11:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
DrAda:
Traditional Bone Setters might seem to get good results when dealing with simple fractures. In complicated fractures, the results are fraught with complications like the story I had encountered first hand.

And how can we tell if a fracture is complicated or not, an x ray of the affected area gives it away.
it means you are yet to meet those tradomedical that request for x-rays before treatment!! some even employ trained nurses. I'm not saying they are better, but people get results a times

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by An0nimus: 11:50pm On Mar 27, 2016
Had a domestic accident when I was little and a traditional bone setter showed me the true definition of pain. The arm is very fine today I've even forgotten it was twisted in the most grotesque manner after that accident. For traditional bone setters, I guess more Nigerians will be more inclined to using them over the conventional orthopaedic doc.

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by LKO(m): 11:57pm On Mar 27, 2016
My uncle in 2011 had a serious accident, the driver and other two occupants of the vehicle died, the vehicle was a write off. My uncle's had a terrible fracture on his waist, in fact the bones in his waist were totally broken. He was ruched to UBTH where he was for a week, he was in severe pain, big man crying like a baby, he couldn't sit, only lying on the bed. UBTH recommended surgery which my family rejected. His company had completed plans to fly him to Israel, my family was also not keen on that. One of our Church member who got the information late, rushed in to UBTH where he insisted that my uncle be discharged immediately and taken to one local bone doctor in Warri. The doctors and even my uncle's company management refused the ideal but the man boasted to kill himself if my uncle is not back on his feet within one week if and only if he is allowed to take my uncle to the said Ijaw man who he claimed to be a bone wizard. Immediately my uncle was discharged and driven to Warri. On getting there my uncle was taken to his inner room where he was unclothed, only two men including the local doctor were left with him, all others ordered outside. Within two seconds my uncle was screaming and crying, the ijaw man was dancing makosa on top my uncle's waist and the bones were making loud noise. That very day my uncle stood on his feet for the first time. He stayed in the local clinic for two weeks for proper healing. The man charged 300k which my uncle's company paid. Today that my uncle still engages in strong work and his wife has delivered two kids after the inci1dent. The ijaws are good in bone issues and massaging though there are quarks in the profession. This man won't touch u without a xray result.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by DrAda(f): 12:01am On Mar 28, 2016
macho44:
Drada I've got a story to tell, I'd like to reach u in person! Do u mind?
No, I don't mind. Send me a mail at inboxdr.ada@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by DrTeeee(m): 12:03am On Mar 28, 2016
My experience can be said to be a bit comical, but it is d whole truth and nothing more!
I had a very nasty experience in Agege lagos in year 2003. I had gone to fetch water with my 2 sibblings in a public borehole when I was bullied by a boy my age who mistook me for ajebo due to the reccomended glasses I was putting on.
We exchanged punches and in few seconds I had his head locked within my left arm and my left side. With anger I started punching his head. I continued for close to 2minutes before people around could separate the fight. I felt very proud of myself,I had won! Little did I know what was in stall for me.
At first I felt a growing burning sensation on all four knuckles of my right hand( the punching hand) but the surging adrenaline of the just concluded fight did a good job masking it. Little did I know I had dislocated most of the bones of my hand in my rage!
My mother took me to a bone setter the next morning. By then my right palm was almost times 6 the normal! I saw hell on earth! The pain was unimaginable. For over 2 weeks more than 3guys had to restrain me whenever he was at work. I can remember how I used to beg him, then later curse him when he failed to hear my pleas for mercy... But he did a good job. In about 2months I cud write again with my right hand. I learnt not to fight the hard way!

4 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by EdDave(m): 12:04am On Mar 28, 2016
Some dude left the road and knocked me down and broke my right leg on the 2nd March 2016,(26 days ago) . The orthopaedic team at Fed Med Centre, Jabi did a good job and I m recuperating at home. Might be a couple of weeks but I ll walk again.
Traditional setters are good but don't have xrays to see how well set the bones are. If its a complex fracture, it s advice able to go for an operation. Even a c-arm scan helps the Drs see how to position the bones when applying POP.
Traditional Drs are very good (I have taken people there) but we should get an xray first b4 we decide whether the damage can be handled by them.

6 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by callJesu: 12:11am On Mar 28, 2016
Well said, they may be perfect atimes
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Otsealu1(f): 12:12am On Mar 28, 2016
I know of someone who once had an accident and had fracture on the left arm. While in the hospital the doctors nothing than fix drip, then the mum was adviced to take her child to a tradomedical doctor and today the story is different but i noticed one thing during my friend's treatment, the man had an apprehentice who was never there to watch how it is done because he cannot watch people cry but tomorrow himself will go start his own and out of pity will allow people suffer what they are not supposed to. The truth is there are good ones and one can only find out by asking people around

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by okuneddie(m): 12:14am On Mar 28, 2016
emydot:
. How are you doing bro

I'm good bros and u We will see on Tuesday
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by MrMcJay(m): 12:18am On Mar 28, 2016
EdDave:
Some dude left the road and knocked me down and broke my right leg on the 2nd March 2016,(26 days ago) . The orthopaedic team at Fed Med Centre, Jabi did a good job and I m recuperating at home. Might be a couple of weeks but I ll walk again.
Traditional setters are good but don't have xrays to see how well set the bones are. If its a complex fracture, it s advice able to go for an operation. Even a c-arm scan helps the Drs see how to position the bones when applying POP.
Traditional Drs are very good (I have taken people there) but we should get an xray first b4 we decide whether the damage can be handled by them.

Get well soon bro!

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Djbaka(m): 12:27am On Mar 28, 2016
DrAda:
This is new.
Probably, but it's also true.

Though I don't recommend the tradomedical bone setters, cos of the damage one of them did to my friends leg then in 2013. It took the intervention of God, we had to settle for surgery to make my guy gallant again. Dem wan kill him star, but Godwin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by tunnamaniah(m): 1:35am On Mar 28, 2016
well, as far as orthopaedic is concerned, I will always choose d traditional guyz (especially in towns close to Benin Republic or Benin Republic itself) over our Nigerian doctors

my experience: about 3 years ago, ma dad had an accident nd his elbow joint was broken, he was moved immediately to a 'federal medical centre' d next morning.

I can say authoritatively dah we spent nothing less than 150000 there buying drugs nd some crap, d so called doctor will come arround nd start speaking on how dey will have to operate d arm, open it wide nd den join d bones with many screws, like say Na motor. After spending more than three months there with no result, we had to consider d traditional guys, mhen, dose guys are good, like I said Benin Republic, I don't trust d ones in naija. d man can do almost anything with the arm now (nd no screw was used).

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 28, 2016
My whole body hurts reading through this thread.. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Nobody: 2:44am On Mar 28, 2016
let the government gather all this traditional bone setters and document their skills. Afterall chinese have accupuncture

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by nani212(m): 3:52am On Mar 28, 2016
bloodykiller:

from Abagana Oyi LGA Anambra state
popularly called ogbuebunu (ram killer) grin maybe traditional tittle

the man is popular for his art in bone setting

Chai one weird thing about his early morning routine treatment to his patients is that this man will deep his bare hands into a full boiled water (not mixing of cold water oo) with his clean new towel and doesn't feel any single pain then use it to clean the wound,though the patient will not feel the pain of the hot water if the case is serious like my father's own, you start feeling pain of the hot water when the bone and the flesh starts healing internally (joining to your flesh and bone) that's when you'll know that your bones and flesh are connecting to each other to be ok, he'll then reduce the hotness of the water next time because the patient have started feeling pain grin
it's a weird adventure sha but we thank God that my father did not lost his legs as prescribed by the orthopedic
Abagana is in njikoka LGA not oyi

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by bloodykiller: 3:53am On Mar 28, 2016
nani212:
Abagana is in njikoka LGA not oyi
sorry slip of tongue bro
you're right
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Baroque(f): 4:27am On Mar 28, 2016
---
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Nobody: 4:30am On Mar 28, 2016
Traditional bone seTting is a dying trade, 30yrs ago there were many of them in nigeria, sadly they were unable to pass down their skills, so the clowns we have today are incompetent.

They re very good with dislocations and simple fractures , they don't handle mutiple fractures well, but even clinics don't handle multiple fractures well too.

Its just a matter of luck, inserting pipes and screws in the bone is dangerous cos those thing later cause the bone to rot and get infected with time.

3 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by sindan: 4:33am On Mar 28, 2016
chinedu4uk:
PLEASE MY FELLOW NIRAILANDERS I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST ON NAIRALAND PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE
Just follow ths simple instructions : after typing what u want to share then switch ur phone off, get a bucket and fill it with water then toss the phone inside wait for 15min then thank me later

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by bolseas(f): 5:01am On Mar 28, 2016
Off topic, my younger brother graduated from polytechnic as a mechanical engineer. Right now, he is training with the kind of mechanics we call road side mechanics.

Back to topic, I think, orthopaedic surgeons could go and train with very good, professional Bone Setters. It will improve their expertise.

Just my opinion.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by thorpido(m): 5:34am On Mar 28, 2016
From experience,many of them leave the patients with complications and eventually still need to come back to the hospital.Many can fix simple fractures and dislocations but leave the individuals with fixed joints and wounds.
The so-called good ones employ jazz.I've seen one who broke a chicken's leg and while treating his patient was also tending to the chicken.He got better anyway.
For those saying they are better than orthopaedic doctors,I don't even know what to say about your statement.

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Baroba(m): 5:41am On Mar 28, 2016
lepasharon:
Whats a bone setter?
Bone Setting
A method of manipulating bones by untrained personnel in individuals who have sustained fratures.. In a nutshell, fake orthopedic surgery..
Bone Setters
Quack native doctors who destroy what is left of broken or shattered bones.. These people are not even regulated, just the risk of infection alone will keep me far away from them..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by yetseyi(f): 5:48am On Mar 28, 2016
The same way we have quack doctors is the same way we have quack bone setters. I heared the ijaws are very good at it. Never really had a personal experience, but the day they massage my neighbor's daughter arm it was a bit painful as she was screaming but it got better.

Since lot of them will now demand to see the x-ray result that's good. If only there can be cooperation, the orthopedic docs can learn a thing or two from the trado bone setters and they can also learn some medical procedures from the docs that way they everybody wins.

I just hope the next generation will have bone setters, I hope they are transferring that knowledge.

Well I also guess some of them use jazz.

1 Like

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Sparkle777(f): 5:49am On Mar 28, 2016
bloodykiller:

you're wrong this people are the best infact I prefer them to orthopedic hospital for example my father had an accident and his bone was broken to pieces to the extent that we have to pick some up at the main road his trouser was spiked with the broken pieces of bones just like when you use your teeth to break chicken laps bones.
we took him to the nearby orthopedic but after spending huge amount they decided that the only solution is to cut off the leg which we refused.
one person immediately recommended one traditional man man expert in bone fixing and quickly we zoom off there.
do you know to my amazement this man fixed that bones including those ones we picked at the scene of the accident and placed it to the right place.

the only thing there is that my father stayed like 8 months there but today he's working with his two feets as if nothing happened.
since then I give it up to those traditional people

Pls post the trado addy
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Baroba(m): 5:50am On Mar 28, 2016
EdDave:

Wishing you well bro, but I disagree with you on so called bone setters, they are not good for anything, there is a reason an orthopedic surgeon spend all that amount of time in school and research post qualification.. Med/Surg no be beans, let's leave it for the trained.
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by elpatch(m): 6:39am On Mar 28, 2016
Aftermath of a poor boy in the hand of TBS

Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by Nobody: 6:50am On Mar 28, 2016
Yuneehk:

hahahaha! Similar to mine but i didnt miss two terms like you. Only afternoon lessons so I could go for the massage thing. Why u run naa?? Men endure these things o. You fall my hand
it was very badly, i couldn't do anything with it, even to write na war, i had to stay at home, men endure? That time i was still a child
Re: A Father's Daunting Experience With A Traditional Bone Setter by elpatch(m): 6:52am On Mar 28, 2016
I will not bad-mouth anyone's trade,but be sure of who u entrust your health with.The pictures....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Things That Can Cause Low Sperm Count / ‘Pregnant’ 2-year-old Boy Has Parasitic Twin Removed From His Stomach / 6 Surprising Ways Being In Love Affects YOUR Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.