Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,153 members, 7,780,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:46 AM

Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? (4763 Views)

Poll: Is It Genetic

Yes: 19% (13 votes)
No: 80% (55 votes)
This poll has ended

What Really Is The Cause Of Marital Infidelity??! / Why Is MARITAL RAPE Considered To Be A CRIME? / Marital Infidelity, Divorce, And The Untold Story Of Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by samparian(m): 4:15am On Jul 26, 2009
I have a friend who is in love with a girl. they've dated for like 4 years plus and my friend wants to marry the girl but there's a problem.
my friend's parents are totally against it and their reason is this.

The girls eldest sister is known to be cheating on her husband
the immediate elder sister of the girl also cheats on her husband

so my friend's parents automatically assume that the girl will cheat on their son. They believe infidelity runs in the family
That is their only reason
my friend is seriously confused and kept me from sleeping with his complains. i dont know what to tell him.
what do you think?
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 26, 2009
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by spikedcylinder: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2009
How do they know for sure that the sisters cheat on their husbands?
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by toosoon(m): 6:06pm On Jul 26, 2009
well if they do love eachother, i will advice you tell him to go ahead with his wedding plan. Nobody Holy Pass!!!
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by FBS: 6:07pm On Jul 26, 2009
spikedcylinder:

very good question?
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by oyinda3(f): 6:56pm On Jul 26, 2009
i'm confused. the front page has the topic as "Is Marital Infidelity Genetic"
"running in the family" can be different from "genetic"
just like domestic abuse (wife, children beating etc) or smoking. if the children see their parents, siblings doing it, they are more likely to do or see nothing wrong in it etc so it can run in the family but it has nothing to do with genes o.
that's why they say that people from broken homes are more likely to have broken homes as well. it's just that they didn't get good examples in their environment to emulate.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by wanville(m): 7:46pm On Jul 26, 2009
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by ifyalways(f): 8:04pm On Jul 26, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Are u asking? cheesy
Jobless ppl that never mind their own very biz,Ofcos.
@Topic,Infidelity does not run in the genes,blood or family But ones background can to some extent influence ones future.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by hotteju(f): 8:13pm On Jul 26, 2009
Your friend parents do have a point you know!! Afterall they want the best for their son

Family background really matters in a relationship especially one that would lead to something as serious as marriage.
But at the same time if he really is in love with the girl and trusts her, he should be able to convince his parents. . . . .
I do not blame is folks cos like someone already said here "The apple is never too far from the tree"
But why cant this parents us leave us alone to follow our hearts undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by remoranger(m): 8:57pm On Jul 26, 2009
well. thats a biased view. i dont fink if your parents where unfaithfull therefore you are going to toe their line.
my 2 kobo
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Eaglebabe: 9:01pm On Jul 26, 2009
The poor girl should not be visited with the sins of her sisters.They should see her for who she is and who her sisters are.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Anabel(f): 10:00pm On Jul 26, 2009
well, some people really like to pocknose in other peoples affair, our parents say both right and wrong things to prove a point but who is to tell them they are wrong. On the writers side, don't let your friend give you sleepless night on what is not what thinking about. if he understands and trusts the girl he wants to marry, then he should have confronted his parents about the girl before informing you.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by lannre(m): 10:37pm On Jul 26, 2009
percepton can become realty
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 26, 2009
@poster
it depends on many different things.
all the traits to cheat on your partner are NOT GENETICAL. its just like anything else in life: its a preference!
the problem why many people might think it is genetical is because children imitate what they see their parent do so a person who grows up and see his father cheating on his mother constantly might believe that its ok to cheat and therefore will be more incline to do so.
thankfully, some people will see the pain their parent (the one who is cheated on) go through and therefore not want to do it to other.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by obimind(m): 10:50pm On Jul 26, 2009
I think,if she is truly a born again chistain,she would not behave like her sisters. I wish her the best!!!
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by rasputinn(m): 11:12pm On Jul 26, 2009
Next question please
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Basildon1(m): 11:19pm On Jul 26, 2009
FBS:

very good question?
ifyalways:

Are u asking?  cheesy
Jobless ppl that never mind their own very biz,Ofcos.
@Topic,Infidelity does not run in the genes,blood or family But ones background can to some extent influence ones future.

ABEG!!i support d former suggestion, how do they know both sisters are cheating?jobless ppl ko,jobless ppl ni! they r 'cheating' (not 'cheated' o) and they r still with their husbands and the guy's parents know what these husbands dont, all these imaginary topics on NL sef
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:59am On Jul 27, 2009
why do these topics make the front page?
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by samparian(m): 3:56am On Jul 27, 2009
Basildon1:

ABEG!!i support d former suggestion, how do they know both sisters are cheating?jobless ppl ko,jobless ppl ni! they r 'cheating' (not 'cheated' o) and they r still with their husbands and the guy's parents know what these husbands dont, all these imaginary topics on NL sef

They do cheat. Even the girl in question confirmed it herself but says she hates her sisters for that, and is trying to distance herself from them. But family is still family. Everyone knows whose house you come from. The girl's father is a polygamist

This is not imaginery.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by mbulela: 4:24am On Jul 27, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

most important question. unfortunatley you will get no answer.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by chidipupay(m): 4:41am On Jul 27, 2009
Basildon1:

You do not know the relationship btw this boys family and the girls family. they might be from the same village or had a cross path before. or even the family might have done their homework very well. this is what makes them to know that her sisters cheat. If you think it an imaginary topic, I advice you draw out the knowledge from this topic. This topic is a very sensitive topic even though it might look imaginary to you.but to me it is real.
@topic
To the point of cheating, I advice your friend to follow his parents advice. coz if definately they are right about their observation/information then your friends gf have 90% chances of cheating on her husband. and this is not a good percentage. U may want to ask why she might want to cheat on her husband there are lotz of reason.
1. hard time(dificulties,no money, lack, house rent issues, school fees. e.t.c)
2. Sexual satisfaction (Depending on how good the husband is)
3 Fustration (this is a must situation in marriage)
4. Sister's advice.
In marriage situation there comes a tym her swit husband becomes her worst enemy. can she actually endure within that period. I am not saying she might not be good. but when a particular trends runs in a family it is very dificult for one person to break. it might not be genetic per say thing. it might be influence, character, or let me sound spiritual a 'curse'. I will advice your friend to really test the girl in question before making any decision
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by initiate: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2009
wat about their mum, does she cheat on her own husband? maybe that where the girls got the habit from
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by opuro(m): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2009
@poster infidelity run in some family than the others. Look at the issue here, the two elder sis are guilty are we sure thier mom is not the same?.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by topsy25(m): 9:08am On Jul 27, 2009
There is a saying in yoruba : "Ile ni a ti nkeso rode" Charity begins at home.

Shalom!
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by otukpo(f): 9:14am On Jul 27, 2009
It is not genetic, but the person's environment do to a great extent influence what becomes of the person. So it can run in a family if while growing up, the person sees the parents or people around her doing it as if it is the normal way of life.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by shanda(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2009
You had better be watchful of ladies from polygamous or broken home.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by chiejik(f): 10:24am On Jul 27, 2009
tell him to pray more and think less God will take care of the whole thing ok

is well with you
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by biola44: 10:27am On Jul 27, 2009
opuro:

@poster infidelity run in some family than the others. Look at the issue here, the two elder sis are guilty are we sure thier mom is not the same?.

another good question! i think its just d family's little business grin
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by chidyke77(m): 10:40am On Jul 27, 2009
Yes, infidelity runs in d genes and cn also be frm upbringing background. There are some women wt high libido i.e. insatiable appetite 4 sex and d inherited it frm either of parents, though it might nt b gotten by all their children.In such a situation, wen she married a man dat is average on sex,she wl nt b satisfied and thereby cheating on her husband. However,the upbringing background cn also influence some and it then depends on d lady in question to choose d way she wnts to live her life because she's matured enof to knw wat is right and wrong. So, it wl b likely for d lady nt to cheat if she falls under d second reason.
Finally,it depends on d guy to do hs home work out of d two points i raised. I wish him luck.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by honsule(m): 10:52am On Jul 27, 2009
shanda:

You had better be watchful of ladies from polygamous or broken home.

True yarn
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by honsule(m): 10:56am On Jul 27, 2009
@Poster.To every general rule there is an exception. This damsel in question might be an exception.
Re: Is Marital Infidelity Genetic? by manmustwac(m): 11:32am On Jul 27, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

religious topics hardly make the front page

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Horrible Experience When My Relatives Came To Stay With Us / Lets Celebrate The Wonderful And Caring Husbands / Please Help My Family We Are Starving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.