Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,194 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy (20220 Views)

10 Popular Yoruba Actors And Their Wives (Photos) / Yoruba Actors And Their Lovely Wives (Photos) / Top 14 Yoruba Actors You Never Knew Are Not Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by bumi10(m): 7:27am On Mar 28, 2016
Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "illiterates" - Mercy Aigbe Laments

On Sunday, March 20, 2016, Nollywood actress, Mercy Aigbe Gentry, reacted to a This Day Style cover, which omitted her name as one of Nollywood best dressed. In confusion, her response led to people addressing the existing gap between Yoruba actors and English speaking movie industry. In a recent interview with Punch, the actress addressed the issue.

Mercy Aigbe spoke on the discrimination in Nollywood, Yoruba actors seen as illiterates, and Yoruba movie genres having better actors.

Read excerpts from interview below;

On reason behind discrimination against Yoruba movie practitioners;

I really don’t know why and it has been on for a very long time. However, we have started to get better recognition unlike what obtained in the industry four years ago. The gap is already being bridged and I think it is only a matter of time. I think we Yoruba actors also need to let people know that we are also a part of Nollywood and demand to be respected like our English counterparts.

On Yoruba movie genre having better actors:

Our counterparts in the English genre have always had fantastic stories and actors. I think Nollywood should be one and devoid of any form of disparity or segregation. The term Nollywood in my opinion means movies made in Nigeria irrespective of the medium. I am also featuring in a Hausa movie which will be released soon.

On why Yoruba actors are tagged illiterates: -

This is one area where I have a problem with people’s perception of Yoruba actors. Many people think we are uneducated and can’t speak good English. I think people are not informed, so whenever someone tells me they are not aware I speak proper English, I simply laugh it off.

@ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/03/nollywood-discriminate-against-yoruba.html

2 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by kimond101: 7:42am On Mar 28, 2016
That is life.
Personally I prefer watching a yoruba movies to English movies
There are loads of very interesting Yoruba movies with great story line and also very stupid ones aswell

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 28, 2016
I prefer yoruba movies , they are simply the best

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by passionate88: 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
Serious?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by MadCow1: 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
Huh?

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Eebrahym(m): 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
She's right

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Sunnycliff(m): 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
Who are the members of this Nollywood?
Does a particular section of this nation have monopoly of it?
#team5%

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by kelv09: 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
Heard of that somehow

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Destined2win: 7:44am On Mar 28, 2016
This woman's complaint is getting boring...ah.ah angry. Your pix wasn't there. We yaff hear you embarassed

Does she want to tell me that she dresses better than all other Yoruba actresses yet her complaints have not ceased on the internet.

This kinda person can fume and fret for Africa

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by galaxy4rep(m): 7:44am On Mar 28, 2016
noted

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by missdebs(f): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
eerm, actually most of you are illiterates. regardless, we must learn to tolerate everyone in this country.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by walexsy(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
It probably cos lotta Yoruba movies storyline centres on tryna being funny....u don't see a lot of senses in most of them,except for some few scenes da will make u rotfl

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by omolola15(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
Issokay

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by samzheee(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
let them discriminate jare, in as much as it's not reducing your income from the movie industry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by emmanuelcrawler(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
U need to ask your self first, y has d presidency not condemned the agatu killing and yet went ahead spilling trash about rivers, are they not Nigerians. Maybe it hasn't doned on u dat NAIJA AREA is a scam shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by fr3do(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
Make she rest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by galaxy4rep(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
who?

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by ngmgeek(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2016
Complaint everywhere smiley

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by 2undeee(m): 7:46am On Mar 28, 2016
So sorry I will tell baba BUBU for u, so dere will be change

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Cleanman(m): 7:46am On Mar 28, 2016
Yoruba have better and realistic actors anyway.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by sisisioge: 7:46am On Mar 28, 2016
Those people ought to have included her. They did wrong! Anyways, this persistent news is good publicity for the two parties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by lalaberry(f): 7:46am On Mar 28, 2016
Mercy please give this matter a rest already.
If they don't recognize you, God almighty & your loyal fans have already recognized you.
Haba!!! angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by babym7681(f): 7:47am On Mar 28, 2016
I thought this/similar thread had been on FP before,
Why repetition?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Mightyraw(m): 7:47am On Mar 28, 2016
In Nigeria evritin is about politics.... Since English speaking movie is their favourite, they praise em more
.good luck in bridging d gap
.as u said

Local ti take over

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by magicminister: 7:48am On Mar 28, 2016
A good actress/actor should have the ability to appeal to numerous audience.

Even Hollywood actors learn new languages when they want to act as a non-English speaker. They learn new accent and sometimes even add or reduce some weight!
The Yoruba actors/actresses need to STOP WHINING about discrimination.
They are the ones discriminating themselves by not making effort to have cross-over appeal.

Omotola is one of the biggest actress in Nigeria. She has numerous yoruba movies to her name and numerous English movies to her name and she has even acted as an igbo girl.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by lilprinze: 7:48am On Mar 28, 2016
g
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by gentlezypher: 7:48am On Mar 28, 2016
yoruba movie? Hmmm end time movies

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by afolayanto(m): 7:49am On Mar 28, 2016
Truth be told. Mercy Aigbe get dress sense pass most of the listed on the Magazine.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by kaziblake(f): 7:50am On Mar 28, 2016
Mercy aigbe, it's okay abeg.
You complain too much.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by helphelp: 7:51am On Mar 28, 2016
This matter never die

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stephanie Okereke Steps Out In A Green Dress / Razaly Denies Receiving N10 Million From Obaseki. Says 'My Life Is In Danger' / Seyi Shay, Praiz, Denrele, Others Dazzle At Nigerian Teen Choice Award In FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.