Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome (21960 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ClassCaptain(m): 9:55am On Mar 28, 2016
A child comes back at night or does something wrong at home and the next thing the parent say is " dont come back to this house tonight. You are not sleeping in this house tonight "

This behaviour and form of discipline is common among Nigerian parents. No matter how grave the offence is ,why send a child out in the night with no one ?

Remembered the story of one of my neighbour 's son who was sent out of the house for bedwetting .. He was sent out with his mattress and left the house crying.. That was the last time they saw the boy .till date, he has not been found.

Or another girl who was always sent out of the house if she commits an offence and four months later, she became pregnant for the guy that she usually goes to his house ,anytime she is sent out. She later confessed that at times,she intentionally misbehaves knowing she will be sent out of the house in order to spend time with the guy.

Many more tales of attempted rape,attempted kidnapping and all have been associated with locking children out of the gate.

How do i forget my own experience when i was locked out of the house after watching real madrid vs barca match and returned home almost 11 30.

It was such an horrible experience. Despite the fact that my team,real madrid lost that day, i had to sleep near a nearby shop with different kind of sounds from everywhere,not minding the fierce mosquitoes and cold weather while constantly praying one of these nollywood ghosts do not attack me.

I believe locking people out of the house or telling them not to sleep in the house is not something effective as a discipline tool and should be frowned at.

What is your view ? Have you ever been locked out of the house or told not to sleep inside the house by your parents or guardian ?

Share your experience ..grin

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 9:59am On Mar 28, 2016
My parents no dey craze

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 28, 2016
My parents no dey fumble lyk that ooo.
My dad(a very strict man) won't talk, he will just wait till arwd 5a.m beat u wella and give u paanadol(u can imagine dat kind beating). Na only my mum will say 'Goan meet ur other parents ooo cox no be 'us' born u cheesy'. At last, she will beg nooni. She never beat me 4 once but my dad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by McCarlito(m): 10:06am On Mar 28, 2016
No one punishes like Nigerian parents. It’s a fact. The fear of your parents is also a very good place for wisdom to start. When you have committed, your parents will call you by your full name (Smellymouth Lalasticlala Agarawu) and after a dialogue that is actually a monologue of them shouting rhetorical questions like; ”Am I your mate" at you, they will proceed to either flog you or hit you with anything from a spatula to slippers. God bless you if their weapon breaks on your body, because then you will be beaten for the loss of the weapon. Also, do not attempt self defense, you might destroy the weapon and like I said, that doesn’t help you. And do not try to run, they will throw things at you and  catch up with you. So, don’t do it.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3537451_nbxq4bypvf8rxp0v395gqijrt4o10lvdy5jf0qc7tiqehs1bapppnspmtfpvibzycp2yjeoftcv0hf6c1e0aiaw187h150nc_gif550466f623dad176d1dfb9592a8b67cc
I remember sweeping the house so early in the morning and doing it barefooted so that my mom’s leg won’t pick up a grain of sand. Even now my sister said she cleans her home “as if mom’s coming to visit”.

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by RaDaZaBaNa(m): 10:15am On Mar 28, 2016
Omo ... Na my mama be dat..

Any little thing back then..

Go and meet your parents. If you know am not your mother and you cant listen to me...go and eat their food

and gba,.she go close door..she don lock my outside wella so tey the night guards don sabi me.

But it all for the better.. It all to curb the habit of night crawling.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by yvelchstores(f): 10:30am On Mar 28, 2016
Locking a child out of d house at night is terrible.my parents never did such despite being strict.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Smellymouth: 11:02am On Mar 28, 2016
McCarlito:
No one punishes like Nigerian parents. It’s a fact. The fear of your parents is also a very good place for wisdom to start. When you have committed, your parents will call you by your full name (Smellymo.uth Lalasticlala Agaraw.u) and after a dialogue that is actually a monologue of them shouting rhetorical questions like; ”Am I your mate" at you, they will proceed to either flog you or hit you with anything from a spatula to slippers. God bless you if their weapon breaks on your body, because then you will be beaten for the loss of the weapon. Also, do not attempt self defense, you might destroy the weapon and like I said, that doesn’t help you. And do not try to run, they will throw things at you and  catch up with you. So, don’t do it.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3537451_nbxq4bypvf8rxp0v395gqijrt4o10lvdy5jf0qc7tiqehs1bapppnspmtfpvibzycp2yjeoftcv0hf6c1e0aiaw187h150nc_gif550466f623dad176d1dfb9592a8b67cc
I remember sweeping the house so early in the morning and doing it barefooted so that my mom’s leg won’t pick up a grain of sand. Even now my sister said she cleans her home “as if mom’s coming to visit”.

grin cheesy

36 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by McCarlito(m): 11:08am On Mar 28, 2016

36 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by greatgod2012(f): 11:22am On Mar 28, 2016
This is how my mum lost my sister's love till today. My sister still claim till today that she was able to end up with that monster called husband because of our mum's action that very day. Though, she claims to have forgiven her, but honestly, the bitterness is still very obvious.

Parenthood is not an easy task, we need wisdom and tact to raise these children. And the best way to get the best from our children is to come down to their levels, make them your friends and let them be free with you, that way, they will see their parents as their confidant.

Any parent whose child/ren cannot confide in, is not good parents.

43 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Olusharp(m): 11:59am On Mar 28, 2016
lalalalalalalala humming a song
lalasticlala you are back from the compulsory leave . oya do the needful... password: lala swallowed by snake at Badagry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nigerian parents be like "Get out of my house, go and meet your parents"...And Boom I am off to one of my Homeboy's house where we smoke weed like There's no tomorrow.

African parents are too strict and most of their tactics don't make sense to me especially when you trying it in the western world undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by greatness22(m): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
My mum be like; Great, were u go since morning? Oh, so u don turn big boy na abi, i go dey talk you go dey keep me quiet bah? Go back to were u dey come from.

Lol, i love my mum. She's my second God.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Banjiolamide: 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Wonderful, African parents are the bestest
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by 7footre(m): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
I'm a barca fan so I just want do you tongue cos I can only imagine d painment

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by macaranta(m): 2:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Crazy ...Nigerian parenting is second to none.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Fiwasayo(f): 2:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
Seriously? Which naija parents does this undecided
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Jacko01: 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
Hehe 9ja parents like that thing.... Deir modus operandi....
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by seunny4lif(m): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
grin grin
Normal
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Gracito(f): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
Never happened to me oooooooooo .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by seunny4lif(m): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
Fiwasayo:
Seriously? Which naija parents does this undecided
angry angry
Why you dey form angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by samylinks: 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
vsaintchigs:
My parents no dey craze
maybe ur parents do another things to train u
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Flexherbal(m): 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
It is always very horrible.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by onihaxy: 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
hmmm
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 28, 2016
Parental responsibilities shouldnt be in this form

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by dimsonu(m): 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
I have never been locked out of the house...

In as much as it has terrible repercussions, it has its African root in the practice of exile.

You are sent to sleep outside as a form of exile which will have 3 results...
1. You don't pollute the family with your 'evil' acts
2. You undergo penance for your acts
3. Hence by implication you are now clense and can be taken back to the fold.

...but the society we live in now, instead of getting cleansed from outside the house... Na Belle you go kuku carry. Or you kuku pass there lost.

I know a man who still do it to his wife...the 'pregnancy' story just got me thinking... I'd better advice this man shaaaa because the wife seem to be much more obstinate these days. She dey enjoy the 'sleep outside' punishment.

Op thanks for the exposé, I will never punish my kids that way, rather than that, I ground you... Make I see how you wan take carry Belle inside room only U

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by petux(m): 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
the fear of nigeria parent is the beginning of wisdom.....back then, if i commit one grave offence then she wil tell me to go away from the house just to scare me. within 5 mins she will start disturbing u with calls saying where are you?!! wont you cme back to this house??!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Fiwasayo(f): 2:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
seunny4lif:
angry angry
Why you dey form angry

I'm not forming my dear,it's not good to use this method on someone,be it your kids,siblings,maid or spouse...' If you don't do this or that,don't come back to this house,that person may very well not go back to that house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by popcykaylah(m): 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
Funny thing is na them go say don't come back to this house and you can't sleep in this house..the moment you decided to go and look for where else to sleep...na another war be that the next morning..the story will turn to..so you have started sleeping outside ..

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
you are not sleeping here tonight

I'll use your school fees to repair that thing

this is the last time am advising you

*after shouting * don't make me to shout again in this house

am I ur mate

I never answered my father

next term am sending you to a public school

lol.. my parents are just the best
these words became like hymn in my ears

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ybalogs(m): 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
Really a bad way to punish. I'm sure it's not something the new generation of parents will adopt. Anyways, my parents are not into that so it's all good but that's not the case for Aunty Shade(my neighbour), she almost had a room for constantly being sent out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Jdesilentkiller(m): 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
Beating or scolding a child is punishment but locking him/her out......that, right there, is cruelty!!!!!!!!.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Introduce Six-month Maternity Leave, 10 Days For Fathers / Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / If Your Wife Does Not Call You Lord But Calls Her Pastor Daddy, Send Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.