Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,197 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe (45705 Views)

The Underground Nazi ‘City’ Of Tunnels And Bunkers Built By Dutch Slaves / British Reporter Gets Emotional: "This Country Is Being Bleeped By People Like U / Which Country Is The Most Difficult To Invade? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Nobody: 4:53am On Mar 31, 2016
When they have legalized every criminal act already. What will they breach

2 Likes

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by banmee(m): 4:53am On Mar 31, 2016
ATERI:

I don`t know whether that has changed, but the private school system used to be very unpopular in The Netherlands. Everybody learns the same thing from nursery to secondary school. Countries that are good are not good for no reason.
America is not alone in this show of shame; their cousins in London imprison more people than any other countries in the EU
When we called them Apartheid society, it wasn`t an exaggeration. They are tough on crime rather than being tough on the causes of crime. The more unequal a society is, the higher its prison population. That is what democratic capitalism is all about.

Your argument is unbalanced. What do you mean by being tough on the causes of crime. It is a simple matter. Don't drink and drive for example. You know not to drink and drive. If you chose to, and kill someone in the process and you are sent to jail, how is that the states fault? Nigerians who are hailing Holland for their low crime rate are thinking with their asses. They don't understand that the reasons for this is because of their lax laws and culture. Culture that we abhor as Africans is O.K in Holland. For instance, in Holland, it is legal to be a prostitute. You pay tax as a prostitute. They are proud of their prostitutes. In Nigeria, you are spat on if you declare publicly that you are a prostitute. Smoking marijuana in designated coffee shops in Holland is legal. Would you not go to jail in Nigeria is you are caught in possession of it? Nigerians curse the western world for lack of morals only when it suits them. Right now it suits them because the comparison with Holland, according to the OP's post, is a valuable tool in making fun of Buhari. I am no supporter of Buhari ooooo or any Nigerian so called leader, but i no go talk say because i wan spite my face come cut my nose off. Nairalanders, please try to think always. It is important for self development.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by toprealman: 4:55am On Mar 31, 2016
dulux07:
Wow. I wish to live in holland.
Ours is about to start getting over filled up.
wonder why? you chat with a girl a policeman is eyeing, na prison one hand!
you refuse to pay "tithe " for road, de form say you be orator, na one hand be that.
Meanwhile total money wey all the criminals for Kirikiri Maximum steal no reach a fraction of wetin one average Nigerian politician dey thief. If na Dasuki you dey think, you de on your own....you fit enter prison be that.
If the money stolen by these politicians were used for the right purpose, our crime statistics will drop.

2 Likes

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by 1miccza: 4:59am On Mar 31, 2016
Please tell them Boo boo needs more prisons to keep the victims of his anti kwarrapshan or is it affozishan crusade fa aa... Boo boo let us import prison too naa...
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by AreaFada2: 5:19am On Mar 31, 2016
dulux07:

About to? Which country are you referring to?
Just in case you mean obodo Green-White-Green, prisons have been overfilling since Bubu wrote the missing WASC certificate exam. cheesy grin

The Dutch are missing a trick.

Instead of just exporting tulips, Gauda cheese and day old chickens, how about importing hardened criminals to their empty jails for foreign exchange? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by papauju(m): 5:30am On Mar 31, 2016
Oche211:
Pls, can Nigeria share some prisoners with holland?
so that you can go to prison and work your way to Holland abi?
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Oche211(m): 5:40am On Mar 31, 2016
papauju:
so that you can go to prison and work your way to Holland abi?
guy, prison isn't a better place for any1 to wish for. Why shld i go 2 prison to work my way to Holland whn i can just go to d embassy to get a visa.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Tonymegabush1(m): 5:48am On Mar 31, 2016
Compare dis news to 9ja, our prisons guard will prefer being idle to closing it closing it down. Thatz why they're alwayz fat they've got nothing doing.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by eromspete(m): 5:52am On Mar 31, 2016
Tell that to the US Govt. who instead are transferring prisoners to other territories grin

1 Like

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Btruth: 6:00am On Mar 31, 2016
......and when crimes here be like sugar inside tea. even among our elites too

But God, I believed that you will remember this country for good one day IJN.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by seguno2: 6:03am On Mar 31, 2016
nike4love:
When gullible nigerians are rejoicing when someone is dumped and incarcerated without court order!!!
Shooting unarmed ppl is also a development in naija....
God how did we get here

By asking God to help us rather than use the brain that He gave us to think like the Dutch have done.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by neocortex: 6:06am On Mar 31, 2016
ATERI:

I don`t know whether that has changed, but the private school system used to be very unpopular in The Netherlands. Everybody learns the same thing from nursery to secondary school. Countries that are good are not good for no reason.
America is not alone in this show of shame; their cousins in London imprison more people than any other countries in the EU
When we called them Apartheid society, it wasn`t an exaggeration. They are tough on crime rather than being tough on the causes of crime. The more unequal a society is, the higher its prison population. That is what democratic capitalism is all about.

Worry more about Nigeria not America.
And you didn't factor in one important distinction between holland and America.
America is an immigrant country and is still is, whenever there is a congregant of
people from widely different backgrounds, crime is inevitable.

It is like expecting Lagos to have few crimes and prisoners as there are in Ekiti state
that is not possible.

1 Like

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by KissCODE(m): 6:07am On Mar 31, 2016
lolaxavier:
A number of factors underlie the Netherlands' ability to keep its crime rate so low, namely, relaxed drug laws, a focus on rehabilitation over punishment, and an electronic ankle monitoring system that allows people to re-enter the workforce.
This is the high point for me...

What that means is that what takes one to jail must be a serious case. Not when two people have missunderstanding or when someone picks pocket...
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by ministeriallist: 6:08am On Mar 31, 2016
gokay11:
Make dem transfer naija prisoners go there na
So u want more crimes in d country. If being a criminal will take one to Holland, then crime would be d order of d day. What do u think?
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by hasyn04(m): 6:18am On Mar 31, 2016
This news is old
lolaxavier:
In 2013, 19 prisons in the Netherlands closed because the country didn't have enough criminals to fill them.

Now, five more are slated to close their doors by the end of the summer, according to internal documents obtained by The Telegraaf.

While these closures will result in the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs, only 700 of which will transition into other unknown roles within Dutch law enforcement, the trend of closing prisons follows a steady drop in crime since 2004.

The problem of empty jail cells has even gotten to the point where, last September, the country imported 240 prisoners from Norway just to keep the facilities full.

Still, according to The Telegraaf's report, Justice Minister Ard van der Steur announced to parliament that the cost of maintaining sparsely-filled prisons was cost-prohibitive for the small country.

A number of factors underlie the Netherlands' ability to keep its crime rate so low, namely, relaxed drug laws, a focus on rehabilitation over punishment, and an electronic ankle monitoring system that allows people to re-enter the workforce.

A study published in 2008 found the ankle monitoring system reduced the recidivism rate by up to half compared to traditional incarceration. Instead of wasting away in a jail cell, eating up federal dollars, convicted criminals are given the opportunity to contribute to society.

These measures all add up to an unbelievably low incarceration rate: Although the Netherlands has a population of 17 million, only 11,600 people are locked up. That's a rate of 69 incarcerations per 100,000 people.

The US, meanwhile, has a rate of 716 per 100,000 — the highest in the world. It's marked largely by its lack of attention to social services and rehabilitation programs once prisoners finish their sentences. Without a safety net to give them any other options, many fall back into their old habits.

Seeing as how the Netherlands is literally importing prisoners to keep jails full, larger countries like the US could learn a thing or two from the Dutch model.

http://www.techinsider.io/dutch-prisons-are-closing-2016-3
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Nobody: 6:19am On Mar 31, 2016
jmichlins:
so do you think its time to finally contact you
For what? to offer me a job? i am good like this! conluded everythinp like this and finalise every thing like longtime before now.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by SomebodyLovesMe: 6:32am On Mar 31, 2016
ATERI:

I would be interested to know the percentage of foreigners and illegal immigrants in the Netherlands. My best guess is that.it is relatively low. Sad truth.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by waldigit: 6:48am On Mar 31, 2016
ATERI:

has this hypothesis been confirmed by empirical studies?
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by SweetSoup(m): 6:54am On Mar 31, 2016
Make them come import prisoners and non prisoners from Naija....
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by sammy4life2(m): 6:54am On Mar 31, 2016
Are u sure Nigerians exist in that country? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by gokay11(m): 7:02am On Mar 31, 2016
ministeriallist:

So u want more crimes in d country. If being a criminal will take one to Holland, then crime would be d order of d day. What do u think?
I concur
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Nobody: 7:17am On Mar 31, 2016
MosquitoLaps:
This is sweet!
But wait o, I hope their prison food taste good?
What's up with the beans?
Would like to spend a vac there.
Naijaboiy, shey u go follow me? grin

Problem is...Holland did fill up the empty cells for a while with Belgian prisoners but they stopped doing that. The Belgian prisoners were complaining about the food and that they were too far away of family to come easily for visit.
Prison no be hotel o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 31, 2016
sammy4life2:
Are u sure Nigerians exist in that country? grin grin grin grin grin grin

No worries, there are many there. They just got their sneaky ways to stay out of prison :p.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by naijaboiy: 7:23am On Mar 31, 2016
MosquitoLaps:
This is sweet!
But wait o, I hope their prison food taste good?
What's up with the beans?
Would like to spend a vac there.
Naija boiy, shey u go follow me? grin
E make sense true true o cheesy
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by DifferentBoy1(m): 7:24am On Mar 31, 2016
Hahaha.....meanwhile here in Naija,Justices,Governors and Presidents pardon and release some due to over populated prisons.........Dutch people hate prison because they can fend for themselves because the economy is good,while their Nigerian counterparts who can't feed themselves owing to the fact that the economy is polluted,deliberately commit crimes just to have access to feed because that is only where feeding is guaranteed for them.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by tuscani: 7:27am On Mar 31, 2016
dulux07:
Bro No disrespect,we are all learning, but there is no country like holland.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by tuscani: 7:27am On Mar 31, 2016
Oche211:
Pls, can Nigeria share some prisoners with holland?
Bro No disrespect,we are all learning, but there is no country like holland.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by scarred9jan(m): 7:29am On Mar 31, 2016
lolaxavier:
In 2013, 19 prisons in the Netherlands closed because the country didn't have enough criminals to fill them.

Now, five more are slated to close their doors by the end of the summer, according to internal documents obtained by The Telegraaf.

While these closures will result in the loss of nearly 2,000 jobs, only 700 of which will transition into other unknown roles within Dutch law enforcement, the trend of closing prisons follows a steady drop in crime since 2004.

The problem of empty jail cells has even gotten to the point where, last September, the country imported 240 prisoners from Norway just to keep the facilities full.

Still, according to The Telegraaf's report, Justice Minister Ard van der Steur announced to parliament that the cost of maintaining sparsely-filled prisons was cost-prohibitive for the small country.

A study published in 2008 found the ankle monitoring system reduced the recidivism rate by up to half compared to traditional incarceration. Instead of wasting away in a jail cell, eating up federal dollars, convicted criminals are given the opportunity to contribute to society.

These measures all add up to an unbelievably low incarceration rate: Although the Netherlands has a population of 17 million, only 11,600 people are locked up. That's a rate of 69 incarcerations per 100,000 people.

The US, meanwhile, has a rate of 716 per 100,000 — the highest in the world. It's marked largely by its lack of attention to social services and rehabilitation programs once prisoners finish their sentences. Without a safety net to give them any other options, many fall back into their old habits.

Seeing as how the Netherlands is literally importing prisoners to keep jails full, larger countries like the US could learn a thing or two from the Dutch model.

http://www.techinsider.io/dutch-prisons-are-closing-2016-3

The Netherlands is 67% non religious. Everybody minds their business. Igbo is legalized same with ashawo work. Tells you much about the correlation between religion and crime.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Blackops(m): 7:42am On Mar 31, 2016
dulux07:
Wow. I wish to live in holland. Ours is about to start getting over filled up.
Or its over filled.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by Blackops(m): 7:44am On Mar 31, 2016
Nigeria to transfer her prisoners to Holland and Norway.
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by samkay3g(m): 7:57am On Mar 31, 2016
Na for Nigeria prison dem go still dey get presido,prisoners for naija go still dey fight for presido for inside prison.... na wa for dis country o
Re: Dutch Prisons Are Closing Because The Country Is So Safe by wristbangle: 8:02am On Mar 31, 2016
That means there are 2,864,000 people in US prison. Chai!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Moment Lightning Struck The White House In US (pics) / John Mahama Spotted Clearing Weeds / Gunman Opens Fire At Elementary School In Russia. 9 Dead, Shooter Kills Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.