Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,451 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say (19839 Views)

Football Fans Queue To Buy Super Eagles' Jersey In London. Photos / UCL: Football Fans Fume At What Neymar Did After Madrid's Win / Football Fans Show Support To Carl Ikeme In England. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
1. Nigerians are very Passionate about Football:

Are we really that Passionate about football? If your answer is yes then why do we find it so hard to get supposed passionate fans into stadiums whenever the Super Eagles or any of our National teams Play? Why are our so-called Passionate fans not willing to buy tickets (Part with money) to watch their National teams Play? You'ld only find sizeable crowds at the stadium when the gates are thrown open.

Even more disturbing is the fact that these fans go to stadiums to support the national teams without wearing the National team colours, thus, resulting in a sea of Rainbow colours at the stands which make for distasteful viewing for Television audiences and also make the away team feel less intimidated.

2. Our Super Eagles are no more Super

We keep referring to auld Lang syne when our national team was a force to reckon with in world football. This begs the question: were our Super eagles ever Super? The only successes we've achieved in football were at the age grade level and continental level (for both male and female teams). Let's be factual, even the so-called USA '94 squad which is touted to be our best ever team was not much of a success on the global stage. We Lost to the two Big teams we came up against at the 1994 World Cup (Argentina and Italy); Senegal secured a World cup berth for the first time at Korea/Japan World cup (2000) and ended up beating 2 Big teams (Former world cup winners) in France and Uruguay but eventually crashed out at the Quarter finals (Emphasis on Quarter finals).

3. Talented Footballers abound in Nigeria:

Maybe in the past this would have been correct but as it stands right now I don't even think the talents abound anymore. I think we saw the Last of our truly talented footballers when Austin 'Jay-Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo 'Papilo' Kanu retired.

If you have a divergent view on this matter then I think you should ask yourself the following questions: How many of our Super Eagles Players can break into the first team of any of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, P.S.G or Mancity

How many of our Nigerian Players Play first team football in a Bug club in any of the top five Leagues in Europe?

When Last did a Nigerian Footballerr win the African Footballer of the year award?

4. We Have The Best Supporters Club in the World:

Have you noticed how dull football Matches may seem when the Nigerian Supporters club are in the stands Beating their drums and blowing those trumpets in a bid to Lend the needed support to the National team, Now compare this to what you get in football matches involving European teams, South/North American teams and even Asian teams...Like seven-up the difference Is clear right?
Can't forget the South-Korean fans at the Korea/Japan World cup (2000), those fans brought a whole new dimension to football supportership

5. Feel free to add yours...

11 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by opeaceo: 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
1. "Nigerians are very passionate about football", this statement is true as the word true. You don't play a match in Osun (apologies to anyone who might find this offensive) and expect a huge turn out of fans. Location matters in our country.

2. For me, calling our men senior national team super chicken is atrocious, they have good days, they have bad days, but then, the average Nigerian insults at will, so it is excusable.

3. We've got talents in all ramifications, finding and grooming them is our biggest problem.

4. Using a " selected few" to determine our support for the national team is gross.

5. I am tired of thinking and typing.

36 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Edwinmason(m): 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
so the bottom line is.....we should stop football or what?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Tocheagle(m): 6:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
I disagree with you saying we have seen our last talents in jayjay and kanu . Dats totally false. And the fact that they bear super eagles is just like every other team with a nick name . When was the last time england won the world cup , but they stll call themselves the 3 lions . Should they change it to 3 cats . Guy pack reasonably well .

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
...... Op tryinq to ridicule Niqeria's football

BTW.....have yhu heard bou' Tahiti?.....I blame ur ignorance.......

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Holyfield1(m): 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
You gotta be proud of what you've got man, As messi is to Argentina, As Kanu is to Nigeria, so you expected us to keep lavishing praises on international footballers at the detriment of our country's stars undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by ylaa(f): 6:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
WHAT DO U WANT TO HEAR?
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by bqlekan(m): 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
dude, no 4 is totally wrong.. really wrong. I've been in the system, Nepotism and God-fatherism has eaten deep into our sports system. ever experienced a trial in any NPL club? you will understand better.

there are talented sportsmen all around the country, we were never given a fair opportunity to make the cut...

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Integrityfarms(m): 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
Does Mikel and Iheanacho play second 11 in their top teams?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
opeaceo:
1. "Nigerians are very passionate about football", this statement is true as the word true. You don't play a match in Osun (apologies to anyone who might find this offensive) and expect a huge turn out of fans. Location matters in our country.

2. For me, calling our men senior national team super chicken is atrocious, they have good days, they have bad days, but then, the average Nigerian insults at will, so it is excusable.

3. We've got talents in all ramifications, finding and grooming them is our biggest problem.

4. Using a " selected few" to determine our support for the national team is gross.

.Okay so what you're simply saying is that fans in certain Parts of Nigeria are Passionate while those in other Parts aren't

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by princechurchill(m): 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
hahahahahhahahahah have u heard of super chickens
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by cutiedave(m): 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
Ka
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Fadman4real(m): 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2016
K
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by ifeanyiso(m): 6:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
The only thing am tired of doing is watching Super Eagles play

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by HRich(m): 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
DonUjay:
1. Nigerians are very Passionate about Football:

Are we really that Passionate about football? If your answer is yes then why do we find it so hard to get supposed passionate fans into stadiums whenever the Super Eagles or any of our National teams Play? Why are our so-called Passionate fans not willing to buy tickets (Part with money) to watch their National teams Play? You'ld only find sizeable crowds at the stadium when the gates are thrown open.

Even more disturbing is the fact that these fans go to stadiums to support the national teams without wearing the National team colours, thus, resulting in a sea of Rainbow colours at the stands which make for distasteful viewing for Television audiences and also make the away team feel less intimidated.

2. Our Super Eagles are no more Super

We keep referring to auld Lang syne when our national team was a force to reckon with in world football. This begs the question: were our Super eagles ever Super? The only successes we've achieved in football were at the age grade level and continental level (for both male and female teams). Let's be factual, even the so-called USA '94 squad which is touted to be our best ever team was not much of a success on the global stage. We Lost to the two Big teams we came up against at the 1994 World Cup (Argentina and Italy); Senegal secured a World cup berth for the first time at Korea/Japan World cup (2000) and ended up beating 2 Big teams (Former world cup winners) in France and Uruguay but eventually crashed out at the Quarter finals (Emphasis on Quarter finals).

3. Talented Footballers abound in Nigeria:

Maybe in the past this would have been correct but as it stands right now I don't even think the talents abound anymore. I think we saw the Last of our truly talented footballers when Austin 'Jay-Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo 'Papilo' Kanu retired.

If you have a divergent view on this matter then I think you should ask yourself the following questions: How many of our Super Eagles Players can break into the first team of any of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, P.S.G or Mancity

How many of our Nigerian Players Play first team football in a Bug club in any of the top five Leagues in Europe?

When Last did a Nigerian Footballerr win the African Footballer of the year award?

4. We Have The Best Supporters Club in the World:

Have you noticed how dull football Matches may seem when the Nigerian Supporters club are in the stands Beating their drums and blowing those trumpets in a bid to Lend the needed support to the National team, Now compare this to what you get in football matches involving European teams, South/North American teams and even Asian teams...Like seven-up the difference Is clear right?
Can't forget the South-Korean fans at the Korea/Japan World cup (2000), those fans brought a whole new dimension to football supportership

5. Feel free to add yours...
For your Info Mr man. KELECHI IHEANACHO is playing in Manchester City's first team

John Obi Mikel playing in Chelsea first team

Moses playing in West Ham's first team

Iwobi playing in Arsenal's first team.

Just keep out of football since you don't find it fun.

I can die for the love of football.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by uzoormah(m): 6:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
opeaceo:

u go like talk sha
#JUSTSAYING
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by lawflec(m): 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
Am coming.
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by litetias(m): 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
I find myself totally agreeing with the OP.
His points are spot on

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by rawtouch: 6:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
Sorry
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Topmaike007(m): 6:47pm On Mar 28, 2016
We are no longer super Eagle but super chicken
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Rajosh(m): 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
yes we're very passionate about football. If you're not, I am. I'm coming back for you later
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Sultanchidi(m): 6:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
Integrityfarms:
Does Mikel and Iheanacho play second 11 in their top teams?
Mikel no, iheanacho yes

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
RHINO Organic Food Preserver & Smell Absorber 3pcs Fridgeballs- Green = ₦1,999
Call/Whatsap 08136386580 (JUMIA Sales Consultant)
DESCRIPTION
Stop throwing away your produce because it went bad in the refrigerator. With Fridge Balls you can extend the life of your produce and even save up to twenty thousand naira a year! A recent government study proved that the technology used in Fridge Balls keeps produce fresh up to 3x longer than refrigeration alone! So now, your produce will remain fresher much longer and you won't have to worry about either throwing away your produce or having to go shopping every day. Keep your produce fresher, longer with Fridge Balls. Quit tossing away the produce you just bought and toss a Fridge Ball into your refrigerator’s crisper! It is that easy to save your produce. How Fridge Balls Work As fruits and vegetables age they create gasses that cause them to spoil prematurely. Supermarkets and grocers know this so they use potassium minerals to absorb these gasses in order to prolong the life of their produce, and now you can too! Because each fridge ball contains a packet of potassium minerals that will absorb these produce rotting gasses, so you can keep your fruits and vegetables fresher for longer!

Lots of other products available @ affordable prices #DealOfTheDay
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by macuwon(m): 6:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
And what is wrong with the poster above me? We are talking football and he is selling endtime fridge ball, who plays fridge ball?

Well I can't type much now, faces on this fuel queue are not friendly, they can just shift my keg to the back.. I have been here since yesterday.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by seunny4lif(m): 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
grin
Last min calculation
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by opeaceo: 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
DonUjay:
.Okay so what you're simply saying is that fans in certain Parts of Nigeria are Passionate while those in other Parts aren't

Nope, it is more of priorities.
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Sultanchidi(m): 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
Apart from Mikel @d moment and we av 2 tank guus hidink, some wil say iwobi bt it's just 2 starts and we hope he gets more , iheanacho is a first team player bt not 1st 11 wen everyone is fit. We don't really av players in top clubs, Mikel, iwobi and Iheanacho apart. And i fear 4 iheanacho with d incoming of guadiola

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by opeaceo: 6:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
uzoormah:

u go like talk sha #JUSTSAYING
You know me too well.
Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by IamAtribalist: 6:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
cool There is really no problem with Nigerian football. Look at it honestly. We are a mediocre country. Mediocre countries do mediocre things. Great countries do great things. If we want to create a world class team, we have to change our culture from ignorance to intelligence. From 'God will answer our prayer' to learning how to think, prepare and act wisely. If God really answers prayer Nigeria would have won EVERY SINGLE WORLD CUP SINCE 1966. cool

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
I disagree with you on the supporters' club. Nigeria's add melody to the game which is always tense. I love those trumpets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say by Nzecorneboy: 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
Sultanchidi:
Mikel no, iheanacho yes
onazi nko? ighalo nko? hmmm...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chukwueze Scores As Xavi’s Barca Register First La Liga Away Win / Moses, Oshoala Nominated For CAF African Player Of The Year. / Messi And Ronaldo Won't Be In UCL Semi-Finals For The First Time Since 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.