Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121494 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 3:46am On Sep 04, 2013
kika41: @27naira,1nce again am grateful...m so another thing I'll like to know is dat:does petroleum engineering requires a greater idea of mathematics or physics...and plz is the course a creative and does it require good thinking? Or its just about cramming facts...?

If you must be a good engineer, you'll have to discard the idea of cramming facts and must understand the fundamentals of engineering principles that make up the building blocks of petroleum engineering. YES! physics is very important for Petroleum Engineers especially conservation of mass and energy. For you to be a good reservoir engineer, you must be a good mathematician. So take your sciences seriously!

Ujawissy: @27naira I'm very grateful for ur reply,i must say i have a strong passion for the o and g field. do u think going for master in either subsea or offshore engineering will give me an edge?

Offshore engineering and subsea engineering are awesome disciplines. However, to gain an edge you must make good grades! that's what gives you the much needed leverage in the job market.

leorayvon: Hi house am a graduaute of physics , with a 2:2 pls I will like to knw how I can further my career in the oil n gas sector

Type your resume and start applying for jobs. that's how.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 9:03am On Sep 04, 2013
Pls house,i'm a Mech Engrg graduate insterested in workin wit any oil/gas firm as a VOLUNTARY STAFF without Pay but want to gather much experience so as to boost my CV/RESUME_So i wuld like to know likely companies dat can take me preferably in Delta or Rivers and also how can i apply,THANX
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kika41(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2013
Thanks@27naira...drilling,reserviornd production engineers what's dier salary range
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by superior3: 6:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
Great thread!!!

Thanks to Dr Ferlie, Okeyz, Devmantic, 27naira and all other posters who have kept this going by your wonderful contributions. I somewhat feel this thread was created for mesmiley.

I have a BSc in Computer Science (2,1) from a Nigerian University, did my NYSC with a major Oil multinational and have been on contract term employment since after service till date. I graduated at age 24, have several IT certifications relevant to my job and bagged an MBA from another Nigerian University in 2007. I presently head my unit of IT in the Oil and Gas multinational, a role previously reserved for expatriates.

In 2010, I discovered my presnet job was showing some signs of blurred career path as so many top shots were leaving to other functions or resigning outrightly from the company and I made up my mind to leave as well. I applied and was offered admission to study MSc Offshore Technology with Subsea Engineering at Cranfield Univeristy, UK. When I mentioned to my then American boss, I was advised not to go as there was no correlation between my present job and the course. I did everything to convince her that I intended switching career but all to no avail. With that kind of stance from a highly respected boss and mentor, coupled with the fact that I had junior ones that needed to be seen through their university education, I declined the offer.

It's been three years since I declined that offer now and nothing has changed on my job -more and more people are still moving to other functions or resigning (although freshers are coming in too), status still remains contract although pay is still relatively good and all my sibblings have now graduated from school which gives me room to take some risks. Besides, I now find the job extremely boring and I survive daily by delegating most of it to my subordinates now, attending only to very critical issues.

I have re-applied for the same course (MSc Offshore Technology with Subsea Engineering) at the same university as I understand it's one of the best for the course in the UK (core Oil & Gas production within the offshore environment is where my passion is now) and have just been re-offered the admission, after being made to go through the entire admission process all over again. The programme is billed to commence in Oct 2014.

It appears my mind is fully made up this time. But considering my present age (41) and my wholly IT background till date as pointed out by my former boss then (even though in an Oil & Gas producing firm), does anyone have any advice for me regarding this move?

Looking forward to your great responses as usualsmiley.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kika41(m): 8:08am On Sep 05, 2013
Plz is dis a good idea?? Bsc petroleum engnr and Msc computer engineering
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 2:48pm On Sep 05, 2013
$uperior:
Great thread!!!

Thanks to Dr Ferlie, Okeyz, Devmantic, 27naira and all other posters who have kept this going by your wonderful contributions. I somewhat feel this thread was created for mesmiley.

I have a BSc in Computer Science (2,1) from a Nigerian University, did my NYSC with a major Oil multinational and have been on contract term employment since after service till date. I graduated at age 24, have several IT certifications relevant to my job and bagged an MBA from another Nigerian University in 2007. I presently head my unit of IT in the Oil and Gas multinational, a role previously reserved for expatriates.

In 2010, I discovered my presnet job was showing some signs of blurred career path as so many top shots were leaving to other functions or resigning outrightly from the company and I made up my mind to leave as well. I applied and was offered admission to study MSc Offshore Technology with Subsea Engineering at Cranfield Univeristy, UK. When I mentioned to my then American boss, I was advised not to go as there was no correlation between my present job and the course. I did everything to convince her that I intended switching career but all to no avail. With that kind of stance from a highly respected boss and mentor, coupled with the fact that I had junior ones that needed to be seen through their university education, I declined the offer.

It's been three years since I declined that offer now and nothing has changed on my job -more and more people are still moving to other functions or resigning (although freshers are coming in too), status still remains contract although pay is still relatively good and all my sibblings have now graduated from school which gives me room to take some risks. Besides, I now find the job extremely boring and I survive daily by delegating most of it to my subordinates now, attending only to very critical issues.

I have re-applied for the same course (MSc Offshore Technology with Subsea Engineering) at the same university as I understand it's one of the best for the course in the UK (core Oil & Gas production within the offshore environment is where my passion is now) and have just been re-offered the admission, after being made to go through the entire admission process all over again. The programme is billed to commence in Oct 2014.

It appears my mind is fully made up this time. But considering my present age (41) and my wholly IT background till date as pointed out by my former boss then (even though in an Oil & Gas producing firm), does anyone have any advice for me regarding this move?

Looking forward to your great responses as usualsmiley.

Big brother, i think you have a well grounded career history in IT, i will ask you the same question as your Boss... why the switch?

Msc doesn't come with an automatic job ticket, besides am doubtful that your IT experience will count for you when trying to switch to Subsea Engineering.. Alot of firms prefer ready-made if you know what i mean. Please think it through
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by harlyon(m): 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2013
left school last year with a ND in business admin.I am thinking of going into into the oil and gas sector and was told to startup with entry level jobs such as roustabouta-roughnecks-floorman etc.currently I am studying a certificate course on subsea oil and gas exploitation in the UK.
I want to ask if this certificate will increase my chances of getting a job as a roustabout or a roughneck
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Dbrain22(m): 6:26am On Sep 06, 2013
Plz house,wat can a degree in civil engineering do 4 me afta graduation,i mean d kind of jobs especialy in d oil nd gas sector?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by godfreycreation: 12:15pm On Sep 06, 2013
Hello Sirs, Am Godfrey, a graduate of mechanical engineering uniben. Please, having follow this trend for awhile, i thought it needful for me to be part of this forum. A very big thank you to everyone that have contributed to this forum. Please, i need help and advice; as a joung mech ngr. where do i start from as am am currently without anyjob and zero engineering work expirence. Also, i based in lagos, can some one help me on a course and address i could take that could help me get a job?

Also.

I have been into ICT since i left school. Normal, webdesign, system repair, procurement and supply also facilitating training. I was thinking of taking ccna or something more advance in the IT sector, but i really want to practice my field engineering. Please whats your advice. Need want can gv me a good paying job, or at least a professional job.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 3:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
Please before you ask questions peruse the thread. Similar questions are repeatedly asked over and over again, the answers are already given. Bless you
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 3:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
Meanwhile, can experienced hands enliven this thread again?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by chitexy: 11:15am On Sep 08, 2013
harlyon: left school last year with a ND in business admin.I am thinking of going into into the oil and gas sector and was told to startup with entry level jobs such as roustabouta-roughnecks-floorman etc.currently I am studying a certificate course on subsea oil and gas exploitation in the UK.
I want to ask if this certificate will increase my chances of getting a job as a r
oustabout or a roughneck

the certification it will not increase your chance of getting a job as a roustabout. Nobody will take anyone that had not being in the field before as a roughneck as the job requires experience hand.

furthermore, they had been slight changes in drilling contractors e.g Transocean, sea drill, Noble energy, shelf etc. most of these coys employ bsc. graduate with no prior experience for roustabout position and also substitutes formal education in lieu of work experience.

I advise you go for your HND to be more competitive
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by porlo87: 8:20pm On Sep 09, 2013
Dr. FERLIE

Please, i am a prospective subsea engineer. I want to know the current challenges in the subsea sector in the country, i want to know what i can correct or improve .

Thanks doc
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by caesare: 9:52pm On Sep 10, 2013
i am writing my final year project which is on :CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES OF GAS ENGINEERS IN NIGERIAN OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY. pls i would like information from anyone on the topic to help me out. my email is dacymer4real@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
Hello People, I just came across this opportunity for MSc in Pet. Eng. in Malaysia. I am not really sure it is open worldwide but someone who has the time should follow up and find out. But since they are looking for global talent pool, I guess it is open to non Malays. Note it is on Rigzone.

http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/postings/407821/Petroleum_Engineering.asp
www.rigzone.com:

Petroleum Engineering
Employer: Petronas Overseas Talent Sponsorship Updated: Sep 12 2013
Desired Expertise: Petroleum Engineering, Production Engineering, Reservoir Engineering
Experience: 0+ years
Minimum Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Job Status: Active / Open

Please login to bookmark Job Description:

The PETRONAS Overseas Talent Sponsorship Programme is among our initiatives which supports the expansion of the Company's global talent pool. We are looking for high achievers and capable talents to join our workforce. Successful applicants will be required to complete a postgraduate programme, fully sponsored by PETRONAS at Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia on the following discipline:

MSc. in Petroleum Engineering

Eligibility Criteria:
* Bachelor's Degree in relevant discipline with minimum CGPA of 3.00 or Second Class Upper or equivalent
* Completed one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two (2) years prior to the date of application.

* IELTS with a minimum score of 6.0; OR
* TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 for Paper Based Test (PBT); OR 220 for Computer Based Test (CBT); OR 80 for Internet Based Test (IBT)

Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an assessment which will be held during the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in New Orleans, USA on 30-September to 2-October 2013.

APPLY NOW
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 6:39am On Sep 16, 2013
KenGali: Hello People, I just came across this opportunity for MSc in Pet. Eng. in Malaysia. I am not really sure it is open worldwide but someone who has the time should follow up and find out. But since they are looking for global talent pool, I guess it is open to non Malays. Note it is on Rigzone.

http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/postings/409596/Senior_Well_Engineer.asp

PLZ IS THERE ANY ONE 4 MECHANICAL ENGRG GRADUATES TOO
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 8:48am On Sep 16, 2013
caesare: i am writing my final year project which is on :CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES OF GAS ENGINEERS IN NIGERIAN OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY. pls i would like information from anyone on the topic to help me out. my email is dacymer4real@yahoo.com
thanks

Shouldn't your final year thesis be more technical that just a correspondence? I do not think that project topic can stand the test of time, given that recruiters now evaluate your technical capabilities and publications.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 16, 2013
macjireh:

PLZ IS THERE ANY ONE 4 MECHANICAL ENGRG GRADUATES TOO

My apologies, I had the wrong link there but have now corrected it. So check it again.
http://www.rigzone.com/jobs/postings/407821/Petroleum_Engineering.asp

The opportunity I believe is for people who would like to study Petroleum Engineering at Master's level and get retained by the company for a while. If you have B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering, I believe you are eligible to apply. I too studied Mechanical Engineering at Bachelors, and have just concluded my MSc in Petroleum Engineering.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by whiteangel802(m): 6:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
Hello! Av really learnt 4rm tis session! Pls am a mech engr, left skul since 2009 without a stable job, just got a roustabout Job with Hilong group, pls can I grow 4rm dere, cux I hear ppl say roustabout aint a good job but am not borthered, and aside salary is dere allowances on d rig? Thanks.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 4:29am On Sep 17, 2013
whiteangel802: Hello! Av really learnt 4rm tis session! Pls am a mech engr, left skul since 2009 without a stable job, just got a roustabout Job with Hilong group, pls can I grow 4rm dere, cux I hear ppl say roustabout aint a good job but am not borthered, and aside salary is dere allowances on d rig? Thanks.

STARTIN AS A ROUSTABOUT AINT MEAN U END THERE BUH ITS A STEPIN STONE TO GREATR TINZ,UCAN OBTAIN HYER CERTS IN DRILLIN,
BTW O,HOW CAN I GET A ROUSTABOUT @HILONG GROUP?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by whiteangel802(m): 11:07am On Sep 17, 2013
Ok! Thanks, but aside d salary are dere allowances been paid? I dropped my cv @ deir office in GRA phc and within 3wks dey called, so u can do same. Submit wit d chinese guy @d gate and be friendly 2him. Awaiting anybodys response as per d allowance.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
@ 27naira
Wow !! ur story was kind of scary, how come you guys where still able to control the well even when you were short of cement? besides there are specific HPHT cements used for HPHT zones?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by harlyon(m): 8:57am On Sep 18, 2013
chitexy:

I did a diploma in workplace health and safety from ireland and I have a one year experience with julius berger warri.I was in the marine department where I was involved in offloading supplies of goods from tug boats and moving them to storage areas and moving of supplies and equipment to work site.
Will this increase my chances?

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
okeyz: @ 27naira
Wow !! ur story was kind of scary, how come you guys where still able to control the well even when you were short of cement? besides there are specific HPHT cements used for HPHT zones?

It was not necessarily a well control issue. Just that the actual cement job was done with slurry volume less than what was actually stated in the cement program. I think the cement that was used for the program was elastocem or something like that, am not sure.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 7:41pm On Sep 18, 2013
whiteangel802: Ok! Thanks, but aside d salary are dere allowances been paid? I dropped my cv @ deir office in GRA phc and within 3wks dey called, so u can do same. Submit wit d chinese guy @d gate and be friendly 2him. Awaiting anybodys response as per d allowance.

APART FROM GOING 2GRA PH, CAN U PLZ GO 4ME TO SUBMIT MY CV SINCE U'R IN, CUZ I RILI DONT RECIDE IN PH BUH I HAV RELATIVES THERE.PLZ SEND UR EMAIL &A/C NUM 2MY NUM 07037607345 ,SO I CAN SEND MY CV 2U &FUND U.THANK U
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by whiteangel802(m): 7:12am On Sep 19, 2013
Currently not in ph bruv, u can engage any of ur relatives, its the street opposite HP on sani abacha rd! The second building, its like a private crib. Pls av not had feedback on aside salary if dere are rig allowance,cux am sure ppl earn cash per day 4d 2wks,3wks duration dey stay. I need answers 2dat pls. Cheers mate
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 7:36am On Sep 19, 2013
whiteangel802: Currently not in ph bruv, u can engage any of ur relatives, its the street opposite HP on sani abacha rd! The second building, its like a private crib. Pls av not had feedback on aside salary if dere are rig allowance,cux am sure ppl earn cash per day 4d 2wks,3wks duration dey stay. I need answers 2dat pls. Cheers mate

ARNT U ALREDY WORKIN ON D RIG WIT DEM? D LOWEST DAILY ALLOWANCE I'VE HEARD IS 10K PER DAY,ODA COMPNIZ CULD BE HIGHER.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by whiteangel802(m): 8:18am On Sep 19, 2013
No av not started, d rig commences nov/dec, only got interviewed wit d chinese men, and it went well, dey still receiving cvs dats y I told u 2go submit.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 20, 2013
whiteangel802: No av not started, d rig commences nov/dec, only got interviewed wit d chinese men, and it went well, dey still receiving cvs dats y I told u 2go submit.

Sorry, If I may ask, how did you get to know about this opportunity? I stay in PortHarcourt anϑ I can access that place but anϑ also is prior experience needed for working with them?

What position did you apply for? Thanks.

Anϑ sorry, what is the name of the company anϑ what positions were advertised?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 10:53am On Sep 20, 2013
leki2:

Sorry, If I may ask, how did you get to know about this opportunity? I stay in PortHarcourt anϑ I can access that place but anϑ also is prior experience needed for working with them?

What position did you apply for? Thanks.

Anϑ sorry, what is the name of the company anϑ what positions were advertised?

Its the street opposite HP on sani abacha rd! The second building, its like a private crib. company name-HILONG GROUP, Just drop your CV, when they call u, they wil tell u wat to do.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
macjireh:

Its the street opposite HP on sani abacha rd! The second building, its like a private crib. company name-HILONG GROUP, Just drop your CV, when they call u, they wil tell u wat to do.

Sorry, I may be missing it. Is it the street where you've WAEC office? Is the fence a see-through fence? Anϑ is it opposite the car wash or after it?

Ca someone help me with a better description because the place that fits the description, the gate-man is black anϑ although it is a white man's company but it is not Hilong.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (29) (Reply)

How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.