Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121493 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 07, 2010
@ aysomething

Did you say your 1st deg is in geology? I can't think of a more direct route into O&G. Forget about working as roustabout on a rig, it's gruelling work. A masters deg in Geophysics or even geology itself should help. i don't do long posts but happy to help if you have more questions.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
Am going for the Mud training course at the in Institute of petroleum Studies Uniport.Though the 350k is huge but i believe to land a job with it.but i would need some bit of help from the house,
has any one attended this training course at same place?(cos I understand from the site the Charles Pepple is among the trainers) and what is it like? Moreso, please drillers and Mud engineers in the house please can u guys list the mud engineering servicing companies in Nigeria?so that when am out i can start throwing ma applications.
many thanks,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 6:17pm On Dec 08, 2010
NatGas:

Am going for the Mud training course at the in Institute of petroleum Studies Uniport.Though the 350k is huge but i believe to land a job with it.but i would need some bit of help from the house,
has any one attended this training course at same place?(cos I understand from the site the Charles Pepple is among the trainers) and what is it like? Moreso, please drillers and Mud engineers in the house please can u guys list the mud engineering servicing companies in Nigeria?so that when am out i can start throwing ma applications.
many thanks,
Baker, MI Swaco (Schlumberger) and Halliburton are international companies that are well established in Mud Engineering. There are a couple of other local firms, but I've been away for too long to recall their names now.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 12:34pm On Dec 09, 2010
naijababe:

@ aysomething

Did you say your 1st deg is in geology? I can't think of a more direct route into O&G. Forget about working as roustabout on a rig, it's gruelling work. A masters deg in Geophysics or even geology itself should help. i don't do long posts but happy to help if you have more questions.

@Naijababe,

Thanks, I just read your response.
Are geology degrees that well respected?? especially from a naija Uni.
I didn't make a spectacular grade (2.2) and the guys in my class that made the first class and 2.1 have been unable to land a geology job till date. One chap with a first class just completed his masters here and ended up returning to naija because he could not get a job.
I am not trying to sound negative but just facing reality.

What do you think??
what do you think?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by debosky(m): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2010
^^ That happens to people in every field - I know people with Petroleum/Gas Engineering masters degrees that ended up working in banks because they didn't get the jobs they desired, but that doesn't mean those aren't employable degrees to study.

Besides, it is not as 'easy' to get a Drilling job either, so you aren't necessarily gaining by pursuing that route.

Like naijababe said, consider geophysics, geology and the like, then pray for favour to back up your efforts with success.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by daddee: 4:09pm On Dec 09, 2010
Keep up the good job you are doing on this site.

Can someone there help me out with info or links? Am a Geology graduate and would say I've been practicing Geology as a logging Geologist (DE) for more than five years. I am looking for an opportunity to switch to another department in O & G industry. I have a mud school certificate as well (from a private mud school). Will appreciate if anyone can be of help. Am interested in WSG/Fluid engineering/MWD/DD.

Thanks.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 09, 2010
@ aysomething
A close relative studied geology at OSU just like yourself, finished with a 2:2 and completed a masters deg in Petroleum geoscience. He now works for one of the majors in naija. If you don't mind studying engineering you can do a masters in Petroleum Engineering, but if you enjoy Geology, I suggest a MSc in either Petroleum Geology (University of Aberdeen), Petroleum Geoscience (Imperial College). Employers for some reason only prefer to employ grads from HWU, IFP, Imperial and the likes of them. A masters from any of the top schools is almost the surest way to get employment even in naija because all the majors now come to the UK to recruit and almost always show preference for grads from these schools.
Just so you know without geologists no company can produce any oil.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 10:10pm On Dec 09, 2010
Very interesting grin
Thanks Naijababe and Debosky for the encouragement.
At the end of the day, no knowledge is wasted.
I'll keep on doing some research online and get back in case of any questions.

God bless
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 11:41pm On Dec 09, 2010
^^ Anytime
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 12:45pm On Dec 10, 2010
Hey Guys,
could the experience guys in the house please explain the difference between A Driller and a Supervisor on a rig?which one is higher in the organogram?and what is the scope of there duties.and if possible outline the different job personnel on a rig platform as it applies to drilling.like the driller,supervisor,derrickman toolpucher blabla,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 14, 2010
^^^^

Now this is a simple rig organogram
It might not follow this chart exactly.

BTW: Anyone has a vacancy for Operations Engineer / Drilling Engineer on any rig?
Am available [seaching4ejura@yahoo.com]
Just drop me a mail.

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 9:22am On Dec 15, 2010
@ Fireman.
Thanks for the Explicit Organogram but I can seem to find where a Mud Engineer on the chart or could it be the Mudman?thank u.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 15, 2010
^^^^

A Mud Engineer is usually not a part of the rig (contracting) company. Mud Engineers come from Mud companies like Baker, MI Swaco and the rest. The Mud Engineer works with mud man when he comes on board and usually reports to the Company man (DSV).

Feel free to ask me any further questions?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by orbaxy(m): 10:45am On Dec 15, 2010
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2010
Guys in Da house-I greet u!
This forum hasn't be quite active for some time now.I wonder why.
Anyway lets not wait till some has a question(s) to ask before we contribute to this forum.I will suggest the experience guys in the house should share their[b] Day to Day[/b] experience here, as it is in WELCOME TO MY OFFICE (a popular forum here in NL )that way the forum will stay alive.
I would have love to start with ma today experience at work but unfortunately I work as a logistic officer for now.though am planning for a switch soon.
So guys who takes the lead?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 29, 2010
Too much work around me

No holidays if you work in a Drilling Contractor coy
cus the rig works 24/7 irrespective of public hols
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 4:07pm On Dec 29, 2010
@Firearm.I have a similar experience too but not with a drilling coy.too many work to complete.I work 6am to 9pm every day (public holidays inclusive)the Job is really demanding but what I like most about ma work environment is the sea breeze so soothing-Nothing come close.When the day is over,I just relax and feel the free gift of nature i like it.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2010
It's freezing here in the mornings and late at nite. I've also been having a hectic time at work. I've just beed whisked off the job of a DE to prepare the end of year report card for my department. So na work! Work!! and Work!!! for the next two weeks.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2010
Drilling job is not an office affair, production is continous.

well for me am no longer on the field, office is it for me for now.
@ Natgas , u said u r in Logistic , is it with an oil and gas coy?
why do u want to switch? logistic is a very hot career and will get hotter in 2011

stay cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by AjanleKoko: 7:57pm On Dec 30, 2010
okeyz:

Drilling job is not an office affair, production is continous.

well for me am no longer on the field, office is it for me for now.
@ Natgas , u said u r in Logistic , is it with an oil and gas coy?
why do u want to switch? logistic is a very hot career and will get hotter in 2011

stay cool

I'm curious to know why you think so, please.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 1:07pm On Dec 31, 2010
@ Okeyz!
The coy I work for is an EPC company and not really a drilling company per se.
I have passion for the oil and gas sector most preferably the Upstream Sector,
hence the switch.What makes u feel Logistics is going to get hotter come 2011?
please fill me in.thanks.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 2:30pm On Jan 02, 2011
[size=8pt][size=8pt]Job for Senior Drilling Supervisor [/size][/size]

http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/job/index.asp?job=32368094

Job Details

Salary: Negotiable

Working Locations: Site

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 15:00 (exp: 26/01/2011)
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I'm curious to know why you think so, please.
My oga, i send you felicitations and compliments of the year!!!

well i dont think so cos thats what it is,
As a driller you are constantly on the rig floor drilling,making calculations and sending back datas to the office via satellite, anyway you still get to go to the office to write your report and findings in the form daily drilling report and brief the management on goings on the well wether there is improvement and likelyhood of hitting a pay zone or you just burning companies money.
After that you are usually given 2 or 3 weeks off as the case may be but you should be on hand in case you are needed on the rig.
Drilling job is a very complex job and they are other personnel that combines their expertise to make oil drilling worth while.
So as u can see sir,its not your daily 9 - 5 routine, my friend just called me on the 24th of december last year and told me he is on the rig floor, far off the atlantic ocean, i could just imagine his agony coupled with the fact that he is newly married embarassed, well oil money no easy to chop like dat.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 05, 2011
I am a graduate of Mining Engineering from FUTA.I'm looking for job in an oil company,possibly in an oil-rig or offshore.I can work in any part of the country,can adapt to changes in the role of work & can work under pressure.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 2good(m): 8:31am On Jan 06, 2011
Hi guys, Nice to know that there's a lovely forum like this one. I actually have 2yrs experience as a Wellsite Drilling Engineer working on 2 jackup rigs offshore Calabar in Nigeria, before pulling out to study for my masters in Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience at the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands and the experience have been awesome so far. I intend coming back to Nigeria to work after graduation and hope the Nigerian job market would have picked up properly as at when i'm graduating in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by orbaxy(m): 9:35am On Jan 06, 2011
okeyz:

My oga, i send you felicitations and compliments of the year!!!

well i dont think so cos thats what it is,
As a driller you are constantly on the rig floor drilling,making calculations and sending back datas to the office via satellite, anyway you still get to go to the office to write your report and findings in the form daily drilling report and brief the management on goings on the well wether there is improvement and likelyhood of hitting a pay zone or you just burning companies money.
After that you are usually given 2 or 3 weeks off as the case may be but you should be on hand in case you are needed on the rig.
Drilling job is a very complex job and they are other personnel that combines their expertise to make oil drilling worth while.
So as u can see sir,its not your daily 9 - 5 routine, my friend just called me on the 24th of december last year and told me he is on the rig floor, far off the atlantic ocean, i could just imagine his agony coupled with the fact that he is newly married embarassed, well oil money no easy to chop like dat.

gbam! lol
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by obietrix: 11:28am On Jan 07, 2011
hello Guys, I am new on here.I have few questions has regards research interest for master studies.I had my first degree education in civil engineering with a 3.2 from Nigeria in 2005.Having had much experiences in the construction, i want undertake M.eng oil and gas engineering in US.wat aspect of oil and gas do i fit in ? i am think pipline .also how do i relate civil engineering to oil and gas when i get to the embassy.plss i need your replies.thanks all
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2011
NatGas:

@ Okeyz!
The coy I work for is an EPC company and not really a drilling company per se.
I have passion for the oil and gas sector most preferably the Upstream Sector,
hence the switch.What makes u feel Logistics is going to get hotter come 2011?
please fill me in.thanks.

sorry i just saw this question now, well my reason for saying that is that logistics takes a bulk of capital expenditure in any oil and gas business whether upstream or down stream, ok lets take upstream for example, a single screw can stop a drilling process which casn lead to down time, so its up to the drilling suprintendent to liase with the logistic officer to make sure all materials and personnel are on site at the rite time and also the logistics officer has to be apprised of the rite specification of each material to supply and shud be on hand in case there is MRO (maintain,repair and Operate) items to be replaced .
Infact the underlying success of any offshore operation is hinged on fast and efficient delivery of materials and personnel at cost effective process and all these are handled by the logistic personnel, infact a logistic personnel might make up to 10 trips! in a single day via chopper to get materials in and out of the rig floor,

Effecient Logistic is so crucial to any project success tha big service coys like schlumberger has a seperate logistics company to handle all their logistic needs not to talk of telecom companies, so Natgas u are in hot zone, just shine ur eyes and u will see what i am talking about, i too i am in logistic company and the demands made by these oil and gas coys is highly pressurize!!

obietrix:

hello Guys, I am new on here.I have few questions has regards research interest for master studies.I had my first degree education in civil engineering with a 3.2 from Nigeria in 2005.Having had much experiences in the construction, i want undertake M.eng oil and gas engineering in US.wat aspect of oil and gas do i fit in ? i am think pipline .also how do i relate civil engineering to oil and gas when i get to the embassy.plss i need your replies.thanks all

well u should have done ur home work guy!!, u can not remove construction from the oil business, why ?, u might ask, to start with the structures ,office, equipment are all structures, the drilling rig for one is structure that has to be continually be inspected every month to check for corrosion and the peeps resonsible for that are structural/corrossion engineers, pipelines too are handled by this peeps, ur umbilicals and risers are handled by pipeline engineers, the vessels, VLCC - very Large crude carriers are handled by SE's also the lifting equipments, very crucial !! like cranes derricks are handled by structural engineers, the FPSO's - floating,production and storage offloading vessels that carries crude are also monitored by civil engineers, ballast controllers in this vessels are all civi engineers - remember ur bouyancy theory?
thia where they come into play, so u are on the rite track, if u want to make the most of ue study just go for OFFSHORE engineering and see ur career fly, ahhh, i don tire to type,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2011
Hello Guys!
HappY NeW YaEy!!!
Could anyone in the house help me with a link to a WELL CONTROL MANUAL/BOOK/PETROLEUM ENGINEERING BOOK?
I have the Bariod Drilling fluid manual in case anyone is in need of it.
Thanks while anticipating your help,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.