Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121565 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2011
NatGas:

@Okeys
Hm mm may be am about to sound dumb but I would like to know the difference between WELL ENGINEERING and WELL CONTROL.when I checked on line, I notice Well Engineering usually goes with drilling like "Drilling and Well
Engineering" and some Well Engineering courses, contents contains Well Control,it baffles me.I think Well Control is some where inside Well Engineering(am not sure) and Well Engineering Graduates are usually refer to as Drilling Engineers while Well Control Graduates

More so, IPS Uniport has Well Engineering and Well Control programs,I understand that the Well Control Program seem to be their IWCF Certification because its 1 week while the Well Engineering is for 4 weeks.
Like I said, maybe am sounding Dumb but please once again I need you to throw more light on this,

i am just seeing this now,
I will try and explain as simple as possible,
Well engineering encompasses well control, which to say well control is just a module in well engineering, well control has recently evolved as a subject on its own due to very delicate and risky nature of drilling oil wells which recently requires multimillion dollar equipments,
well control as the name implies deals with total control of the well by tweaking certain parameters from the drilling console to balance the well pressure, which also includes adding drilling fluids to balance the well pressure , clean up the well during drilling, lubricate the well bore as well as the drill strings and lifting out cuttings from the well which is sent to the lab to be analysed by drilling fluids engineer on the rig floor.

well control has to do with PRESSURE CONTROL!!, making sure the pressure is balanced, if the pressure from the well bore is heavier than the fluids going in, it could be catastrophic!!, as was the case of the macando oil well(US), so u need BOP's to take care of that,

WELL ENGINEERING deals with the planning and design of the well bore, from well spuding to total depth reached,its a project on its own which involve some calculations like wieght of drill string , dog leg and azimuthal calculations if there is going to be any deviations. they can still function as well controllers too,

Drilling engineers duties includes both well engineering , well control and also knowledge of the drilling equipment used on the rigs as well as their maintenance,although there are also rig mechanics who take care of all the moving equipments,

It depends on what is your role on the rig floor, its the job of the drilling suprintendent to coordinate the various function with the team and see that all goes well with emphasis on safety

but its advisable that all personnel on the rig floor should have well control experience .

You can still do some research on the net you will get more useful info.

I hope this helps,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by earthrealm(m): 3:48am On Feb 11, 2011
hello house, cud some1 shed more light on the well control programme in uniport that they said costs 450k?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 9:29am On Feb 14, 2011
@OKAYZ!!!
Thank you very much for your explicit explanation.with your explanation and further research ve gotten the PICTURE! but 1 more question:
if after completion of the WELL ENGINEERING COURSE at IPS,can I be considered for entry level drilling engineer?and whatz d difference between a driller and a drilling engineer? too many questions?i beg no vex ooo
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by earthrealm(m): 11:38am On Feb 14, 2011
a driller is to a drilling engr, what a mason is to an architect!

a driller merely makes a hole in the ground, and controls the well pressure systems. there is really not much rocket science in being a driller, a drilling engr aka DE is much more technical, he designs the well parameters.formation pressure,expected dogleg etc, the directional driller and mwd engrs carry out his programme. with the help of the rig/driller/top drive
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 1:39pm On Feb 14, 2011
@earthrealm
earthrealm:

a driller is to a drilling engr, what a mason is to an architect!

a driller merely makes a hole in the ground, and controls the well pressure systems. there is really not much rocket science in being a driller, a drilling engr aka DE is much more technical, he designs the well parameters.formation pressure,expected dogleg etc, the directional driller and mwd engrs carry out his programme. with the help of the rig/driller/top drive

Am really learning here.thank you for your straight to the point explanation.what is your opinion in the WELL ENGINEERING short course in IPS uniport?sometimes I ve doubts that the course would not make me an entry level DE due to the fact that the DE has many areas and seem so broad,I dont know.what do you think?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 2:16pm On Feb 14, 2011
NatGas:

@earthrealm
Am really learning here.thank you for your straight to the point explanation.what is your opinion in the WELL ENGINEERING short course in IPS uniport?sometimes I ve doubts that the course would not make me an entry level DE due to the fact that the DE has many areas and seem so broad,I dont know.what do you think?

why should u have doubts?, see , even if you go to robert gordon for your training you are not guaranteed an automatic job offer, you just have to take you chances like any body else ,besides you dont get this kind of training any where in Nigeria unless you travel out,

It will help you if you take a trip to IPS and have a word with the programme administrator that will clear all your doubts, besides this  is a TRAINING and not a presentation , the amount of time it will take for you to be trained to get to know the  nitty gritty of the course is the same any where in the world, you become more experienced and adept as you practise on the job and meet challenges.

As for your job quest , you do your part and let time and chance do the rest,if some body comes to this forum and advertises that he needs someone with well control training and a valid IWCF cert, irrespective of experience, u could be sure that at your present status now u r not qualified!!!.

paying 450k for a course requires guts!! and the belief that  u are acquiring specialized knowlegde that is not easy to come by,,IPS do their recruitment for totalelf so u go figure,

u can do your masters if u will.its still ok,but if time is not on your side these short courses are still good and will fetch a job in the oil and gas even if it means starting at the lowest cadre, with a degree in you can rise as quickly as possible.

the aim of setting this small courses is that it is cheaper to train staff here than to fly dem abroad for training.

i feel you should go to IPS and see for ursef the calibre of trainees that come there for their training, professionals from different oil and gas companies, even some with experience.

to clear all doubts from your mind just take a trip to IPS, write down all your questions and inquire from them , ask any  student that u meet there and get their views from them, i know the task might be daunting but you will decide for your self there and then wat u want to do.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2011
@Okeyz
Once again,thank you very much for your strong words of encouragement!
I have it in mind to visit the school and have a chat with the Sec, I have called
her, she said the 2011 training Schedule and forms will be out by month end so
I will be there to see for ma self.thank youuuuuuuuuu.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by westo(m): 11:31am On Mar 19, 2011
Guys!

The IWCF Well Control school is also in Port Harcourt.

JC Training Centre offers IWCF Rotary Drilling Well Control for Drillers & Supervisors and also IWCF Well Intervention Pressure Control covering Wireline,Coiled Tubing and Snubbing Operations.

Our next Course date for Rotary Drilling is 4th - 8th April 2011.

For people without experience, You can go for the IWCF Rotary Drilling Introductory level Well Control, thi is a 3 day course and you will take a written test paper on Principles & Procedure and Equipment.

You are not going to be tested using the simulator.

For more details

Visit
JC International ltd
Plot 5 JC Street Off Peter Odili Road
Trans Amadi
Port Harcourt

Or Call

West - 0805 700 7225 for more info
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by sdacosta79(m): 11:42pm On Mar 20, 2011
Good day Room,

I have an Interview Presentation at Transocean this week, I will like to know what I should expect.

Regards.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by sdacosta79(m): 12:01am On Mar 21, 2011
Good day Room,

I have an Interview Presentation at Transocean this week, I will like to know what I should expect.

Regards.

seyidacosta79@yahoo.com
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by biyiwilly(m): 2:17pm On Mar 21, 2011
Register for your foreign exam @ b2consulting

Affordable Price and get instant registration

GMAT $250 for N40,000.00
GRE $190 for N32,000.00
TOEFL $ 175 for N29,000.00 with a free practice CD
For more info visit: www.b2consultingng.com
Tel: 08023343047, 08063114931
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 2:28pm On Mar 21, 2011
sdacosta79:

Good day Room,

Regards.

seyidacosta79@yahoo.com
Am sorry I cant help you directly as am new and trying to break into this industry.However, people with experience might still find it difficult to help u2 because of the way u have asked the question.Simply saying you have an interview with Transocean this week is not enough to provide u with ur expectations:I suggest you state what you applied for,level of experience,(very important)what kind of interview?your educational level?all information that might give one an insight to a likely expectation.am sure if u do this in an explicit manner people will respond.All the same,Good luck man.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by justhustle: 8:00pm On Mar 22, 2011
@ orbaxy and co

you did mention you are in abu dhabi for your msc,i would like to know what school in paricular are you.what is tution like there?
i am actually considering unied arab emirate university for my msc.
do you have an ideal of how to get the equivalency certificate most gulf schools request for before admission?

how is uae generally for studies?
do get in touch.
pricewill199@yahoo.com
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by justhustle: 4:09pm On Mar 23, 2011
ı am also considering a 9 months postgraduate certificate course in drilling.
do the house think this would be useful in gaining a drilling/rig job after graduation.
if not what would be other training options to be considered.
thanks y all
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2011
Baker Hughes Careers,
Posting Title :Drilling Engineer
Requisition ID :43220
Full or Part Time :Full-time
No. of Openings:2

Percent Travel:10

Posting Date

3/18/2011

Requirements

Under general supervision, plans or re-plans wells as required. Generates 3-D plots and validate surveys on current wells. Prepares reports and surveys. Handles special projects, as assigned.Knowledge of directional drilling, horizontal drilling, and well bore positioning survey. Advanced PC skills. Completion of technical development plan; specific skill requirements defined within the Well Engineering development Program - achieve Well Planning qualification.Two-year technical qualification or Associates Degree. Industry experience preferred.

https://bakerhughes73.recruitmax.com/MAIN/CareerPortal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=43220&szReturnToSearch=1&szWordsToHighlight=
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Efizzi: 8:35am On Mar 28, 2011
@NATGAS DONT BOTHER DOING ANY OF THESE SO CALLED SHORT PROGRAMS IF YOU DONT OR ARE NOT GUARANTEED A JOB SOMEWERE ELSE. I DID THE MUD THING IN IPS LAST YEAR AND I WAS AMONGST THE BEST STUDENTS AND TILL DATE NO JOB IN ANY RIG OR ANY FIELD.
AT THE END OF THE PROGRAM WE WERE ALL ON OUR OWN, THEY NEVER EVEN INTRODUCED US TO ANY COMPANY CONSIDERING THE HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY (360K) THAT WE PAID. CHARLES PEPPLE IS JUST FULL OF DECEIT AND I ADVISE ANYBODY THAT REALLY WANTS TO HAVE A CAREER TO IGNORE THESE SO CALLED SHORT COURSES AND DO A MASTERS OR PGD COURSE IN NIGERIA OR ABROAD. SIMPLE
A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE, ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by JomoGbomo2(m): 1:17pm On Mar 28, 2011
Nice jobs guys.

Another DE in the house, currently working in in the North sea from aberdeen, on soem fields in the west of shetland. Nice to know that IWCF school is in Port harcourt.
good one guys
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 6:02pm On Mar 28, 2011
@ jomogbomo2
BROS, i hail o, i could not help but comment when i saw ur username,sorry if i may ask,has MEND moved their operations to North sea !! shocked grin

@ effizi
when did you do your mud engineering training?, from my past experience with job searching, i hardly see any openings for mud engineering, what usually comes out is drilling,well engineering and completions and even HSE and logistics in drilling.
I sympathize with you, it s very frustrating spending that amount of dough and still remain jobless in your field,you should not give up hope ,no knowledge is a waste.

However, that been said, i know of some guys who did well engineering training in the same IPS PH, and is gainfully employed in one of the oil servicing company,as an entry level completions man. although its a certification course,valid for 2 yrs.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by NatGas(m): 7:18pm On Mar 28, 2011
Efizzi:

@NATGAS DONT BOTHER DOING ANY OF THESE SO CALLED SHORT PROGRAMS IF YOU DONT OR ARE NOT GUARANTEED A JOB SOMEWERE ELSE. I DID THE MUD THING IN IPS LAST YEAR AND I WAS AMONGST THE BEST STUDENTS AND TILL DATE NO JOB IN ANY RIG OR ANY FIELD.
AT THE END OF THE PROGRAM WE WERE ALL ON OUR OWN, THEY NEVER EVEN INTRODUCED US TO ANY COMPANY CONSIDERING THE HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY (360K) THAT WE PAID. CHARLES PEPPLE IS JUST FULL OF DECEIT AND I ADVISE ANYBODY THAT REALLY WANTS TO HAVE A CAREER TO IGNORE THESE SO CALLED SHORT COURSES AND DO A MASTERS OR PGD COURSE IN NIGERIA OR ABROAD. SIMPLE
A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE, ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY

Guy,thanks for your advice but I think u re giving up too soon.Like Okayz, I know of guys who went to MUD SCHOOL and were employed not too long after graduation.so ma advise for u is too is hang on.when the job go land u go smile.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by pet4christ: 12:03pm On Mar 31, 2011
i do have to say that i am very impressed with the level of information exchange that goes on in here.i just joined and i am very much interested in knowing the difference b/w well workover and well completions technology.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ogogo24(m): 3:46am On Apr 06, 2011
pet4christ:

i do have to say that i am very impressed with the level of information exchange that goes on in here.i just joined and i am very much interested in knowing the difference b/w well workover and well completions technology.

With my little experience, Well Completions simply means bringing the well on stream for production. After successfully drilling a well, you install production string - ur tubings, completions packers etc, u run your perforating gun and perforate the well through the production casing and into the reservoir. Provided the pore pressure is high enough the well may begin to flow from downhole completion string through the wellhead/christmas tree and into the surface production facilities for processing/separation.

Workover operations on the other hand is done on already Completed wells. For instance if the production of a particular well declined, you might carry out a workover operation on the well to further stimulate the reservoir for production. Also in case of drilled, completed and abandoned wells, a workover operation may be carried out to change out some damaged downhole completion equipment and bring the well on stream.

I hope I have not succeeded in confusing u the more, lol

Cheers.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by pet4christ: 9:50am On Apr 06, 2011
thanks a lot for the prompt response.hoping to learn more from you soon.

warmest regards
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by EmmaMsc(m): 9:39am On Apr 16, 2011
Hello guys,
I have been invited for a skills tes[/b]t by [b]Chevron Nigeria nxt week for the drilling engineering position. i am a fresh graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engr. and i dont have any experience in drilling
Can anyone kindly tell me what to expect?
Thanks.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 2:21pm On Apr 16, 2011
I have an interview via skype with the HOD of Reservoir Engineering Department of the Institute of Petroleum Engineering, TU Clausthal on monday. I would like anyone who has had such type of interview to please tell me what to expect. Thanks in anticipation of your ingenious response.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 11:36am On Apr 19, 2011
devmantic:

I have an interview via skype with the HOD of Reservoir Engineering Department of the Institute of Petroleum Engineering, TU Clausthal on monday. I would like anyone who has had such type of interview to please tell me what to expect. Thanks in anticipation of your ingenious response.

its just general interview about your career goals,why u want to study petroleum reservoir engineering at masters level and why chose clausthal,your work experience if related to reservoir engineering and what not. there is nothing much , they just want to know if you are really keen in doing the course or u just want to use it as a means of immigrating to germany, it,s just like writing a statement of purpose but this time its more interactive.
the slots are becoming more competitive these days so there have to give admission to those who they feel are really keen in doing the course.

Just be your self ,do more research on the course you want to do and if possible your thesis if you have already gotten one

all the best
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 5:31pm On Apr 19, 2011
@ Okeyz

Thanks for the advice. My interview went well though it was a little technical but I certainly hope for the best. Thanks once again.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by justhustle: 8:44pm On Apr 21, 2011
@devmantic

what kind of questions were you asked.
i also applied to the tu claustal university but no show from them.
do you have industry experience?
would really like to hear from you
<Princewill199@yahoo.com>
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 8:51pm On Apr 21, 2011
@ justhustle,

I was asked the conventional graduate school interview questions plus a little bit of the basics of physics, chemistry, petroleum enginering. As regards industry experience, I have little experience with oil & gas multinationals but compensate for it by tutoring myself on how to use most petroleum engineering softwares. When did u apply?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Cupidkc(m): 7:30pm On Apr 28, 2011
just saw this forum, am already in luv with you all.
Where are our engineerers.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 7:35pm On Apr 28, 2011
We have all gone to the business section , quick money is sweet o grin
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 12:06pm On Apr 29, 2011
@ coldwater

GOD BLESS YOU JO

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.