Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have (1266 Views)

Empower Yourself With I.T Soft Skills / 5 Useful Mobile Apps Every Nigerian Student Must Download / 5 Reasons Every Nigerian Students Should Join Linkedin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by amzee(m): 10:00am On Mar 29, 2016
The dream of every undergraduate is to land a very rewarding job upon graduation. Nowadays, this dream seems to be a mirage for many Nigerian graduates, who in most cases are poorly equipped with the right technical skill to cope with the
ever changing demands and
requirements of the labour market.

Apart from your degree, what else
can you bring to the table? How can you solve the current problem at hand and boost profitability? These are some of the questions on the minds of many employers of labour in the country.
I.T skills are very broad and are in
huge demand these days. Gone are the days when you only had to state your ability to use Microsoft office packages on your C.V, and then you are given a pass to an interview.
Although these packages are good
and are still very much relevant in
the labour market, problems
confronting modern day companies have become more complex, requiring deeper I.T skills to surmount. Companies are resorting to Information Technology to gain a competitive edge over each other.
Cloud Computing, Search Engine
Optimization (SEO), Internet
Marketing, are some hottest I.T skills to acquire these days. With that being said, these are the top I.T skills every Nigerian graduate should have:
Basic Programming Skills

Whether you studied Yoruba or
Arabic in School, you should, at least, be able to write basic HTML. The world is more interconnected with complex computing systems than ever before. When you interact with your counterparts overseas, you'd realize how obsolete your I.T knowledge is and that computer programming isn't just a thing for I.T engineers alone or the science inclined. Learning how to write basic HTML, which is the special format used for web pages and coding in general, will help you stand you out from the crowd. It will make you marketable in the eyes of
potential employers.
Backing up to Cloud

Storing files offline is currently
becoming a thing of the past these days. When files are backed up to a cloud-based service, they can be accessed remotely provided you have an internet connection. This cloud storage knowledge allows you to remain productive while on the go. You could start fine tuning your cloud-based knowledge by utilising
either iCloud or Dropbox services.
Converting File Formats

There are various file formats
available these days. Having the
requisite knowledge on how to
handle them can help you carry out your job requirements efficiently.
You might be required to convert
MsWord to PDF, MP3 to WAV when
trying to upload certain files online. In fact, potential employers require you to submit your resume in specified file formats, failure to submit your C.V in the right format will send wrong signals to your potential employers. You must understand these file formats and how to convert them as the situation requires. This will make the
job that involves file formatting easy and ensure that your documents and files aren't rejected for using the wrong file format.
Social Media Marketing

Nowadays, when many Nigerian
graduates hear about social media, they think it's all about chatting and hooking up with long lost friends.
They fail to harness opportunity it
avails to generate leads. These days, a lot of companies are shifting their attention to social media because of the vast amount reach they possess.
FaceBook, alone, receives more visits than the world's largest search engine, Google. You should learn how to target certain sections of your country’s population to boost sales as well as improve people's awareness of the brand you are representing. Companies love employees with the requisite knowledge to drive sales via social media.
Re: Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by amzee(m): 10:07am On Mar 29, 2016
Setting up and managing a Website

The world is increasingly becoming interconnected these days, thanks to the internet. Nowadays, companies use sites to project their brand to the global community. Knowing how to setup a website is a plus as most
companies prefer using their
workforce for jobs like these. You
could also improve your knowledge of Search Engine Optimization because many companies spend a fortune optimising their websites for the search engines. Equipping yourself with skills in website building and SEO will improve your value in the eyes of potential employers. You could help them save funds that would have been spent elsewhere with your knowledge.

Online Research

These days, speedy access to
information could be the difference between profit and loss. The internet provides you information at your fingertips. Your ability to research and get useful information on the web could be used by your company in making strategic decisions. However, you have to be
careful about the kind of
information you get from the
internet. Lots of unsubstantiated
and unverified information abound online. Your researching skills will be handy in sifting through the information gotten online, so as to differentiate between factual and unsubstantiated information.

In conclusion, the world is evolving at an alarming pace in the area of Information Technology. Any ICT skill
you have acquired or learnt that is
not being utilized at the moment
isn't a waste because you'll never
know when you will be called upon to save the day. Companies like skilled, versatile graduates and that's what they look out for during their recruitment exercises.

To stand out from the rest of the pack, get yourself acquainted with the various I.T skills outlined above and see your employability and marketability go through the roof.

Source. www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/top-i-t-skills-every-nigerian-graduate-should-have.193310/
Re: Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by hakeem02: 10:19am On Mar 29, 2016
Nice information
Re: Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by amzee(m): 11:19am On Mar 29, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by taurus25(m): 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2016
this is good...nice info op
Re: Top I.T Skills Every Nigerian Graduate Should Have by bolt000(m): 10:13pm On Mar 29, 2016
This is really good.. Def An eye opener.

(1) (Reply)

Help With My Zealot N85 / Need Someone To Work On A Database Design Normalization Project / How To Make Silicon(semi-conductor)know The Source

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.