Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,580 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple (48052 Views)

Are Brazilian People Black? / Is It Wrong To Have An Ingo And Yoruba Name?? / Brazilian Tourists Vow To Promote Yoruba Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Richy4(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bnladan:
U cud hv add "ino" or "ho in d name. Smthn lyk "Folukinho" or "Folukino". Dey'll accept d name grin

grin that would have solved the riddles hahahaa
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Gbadeade(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2016
y not try romoke if foluke is not acceptable
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by funmo(m): 3:16pm On Mar 29, 2016
simple
change the name to “Makedano Folukedinho”
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by cl9700: 3:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
Folukinho
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by truthspeaks: 3:19pm On Mar 29, 2016
Na Buhari cause am
seyema:
Racism everywhere, may God help us
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by mankand(m): 3:22pm On Mar 29, 2016
Standing5:
And we have Føølísh people all over naming their kids Dandy and Randy

You can say that again
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by tpiah01: 3:23pm On Mar 29, 2016
the only problem with adding the "ho" is people will change it to "ho".

maybe try Foluxe or Foluques also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_name
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by heo88(m): 3:24pm On Mar 29, 2016
tpiah01:
Why not change the spellings to sound Portuguese.

That will not work. The composition of the Portuguese language is such that it greatly diverges from the yoruba language. Consequently if they choose a more 'Portuguese sounding' name, this will completely change the meaning, thereby defeating the initial purpose.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by JackBizzle: 3:27pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
Hmm..
[b]Since Foluke was rejected, why not christen her "Luke Fo"[/b]at least let her start with "Luke" from the bible, and "Fo" from the Chinese then when she grows up, she can sue them alongside her parents for misspelling, defamation and inappropriate manipulation of her name and on that ground demand for correction in her nomenclature. Period!

Luke Fo?

grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by uncjay(m): 3:28pm On Mar 29, 2016
chocolateme:
Hmm..
Since Foluke was rejected, why not christen her "Luke Fo" at least let her start with "Luke" from the bible, and "Fo" from the Chinese then when she grows up, she can sue them alongside her parents for misspelling, defamation and inappropriate manipulation of her name and on that ground demand for correction in her nomenclature. Period!

Lmao!!!
U made my sunny afternoon.....can't stop laughing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by nnokwa042(m): 3:30pm On Mar 29, 2016
truthspeaks:
Na Buhari cause am
not racism if a Yoruba who his mum is an igbo woman and wants to contest for governor of lagos and put his names as chukwuemeka ogunbiyi no yoruba person will vote him
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by tpiah01: 3:31pm On Mar 29, 2016
heo88:

That will not work. The composition of the Portuguese language is such that it greatly diverges from the yoruba language. Consequently if they choose a more 'Portuguese sounding' name, this will completely change the meaning, thereby defeating the initial purpose.

seems Foluke means surrendered into the hands of God, therefore the literal translation into Portuguese would be Rendeu-se nas maos de Deus (from google).

They can try contracting it into a name since the meaning can also be expressed in their native Portuguese.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 29, 2016
chumaster:
"Nigerians are criminals and corrupt" ..Buhari
Who will want to associate with such people and anything that has to do with them.
You know who to blame
For ur mind wetin u just yarn make sense?... undecided
chumaster:
"Nigerians are criminals and corrupt" ..Buhari
Who will want to associate with such people and anything that has to do with them.
You know who to blame
For ur mind wetin u just yarn make sense?...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by jcross19: 3:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
GurlFriend:
Cizinho Afreeka and Jéssica desired to name their daughter “Makeda Foluke.” This is because they have roots with the Yoruba culture, but when they went to register their newborn daughter’s name, they were turned down.

Officials at the registration office in Rio de Jainero, Brazil stated that the baby’s name made “no sense at all” when pronounced in Portuguese and that it “could provide possible future suffering for the person in social life.”

Foluke’s parents believe that the real reason their daughter’s chosen name was denied was because of racism, according to BlackWomenofBrazil.co, where this story was first published

“It’s a form of racism that takes place in Brazil: the racism of subtleties,” Afreeka said. “It should be very natural a man and a Black woman adopting an African name, as the country is made up of three races. It is difficult to prove. Only those in this skin knows.”

But the officials have insisted that racism isn’t the problem; it was the name. As in it is in their practice, whenever a child is named, officials have to check whether or not the name could affect the child negatively later in life. This has led many parents to choose European-sounding names.

Makeda’s parents are left with no choice but to appeal to a judge to see if they can officially give her an African name. However, if things don’t turn out well, they insist that they’re not changing their mind.

“I will keep on until the end,”Afreeka said. “Either it will be Makeda Foluke or she’ll be with no registration.”

Makeda was what the Ethiopians called the rainha de Sabá (Queen of Sheba). Foluke is a Yoruba name. The girl’s name was decided early in the pregnancy.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/03/racism-brazilian-officials-block-couple.html
A big lie from a lying blog , to me what sells now is lies and that's what the bloggers are doing. They just google a picture on internet and make up story to attach it , then the fools will take them serious.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by lankieman: 3:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
Yet our people here dey carry slave name for head .mtchheew

Singing fela jare Colo mentality
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by possibilita(m): 3:44pm On Mar 29, 2016
ennyscongy:
No mind them, set of marafakaz, give am Orlando dey nacho imperious dede... Awon werey
hilarious
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Keepshining(f): 3:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
Palapala ilu apala,i no blame them if only.....................
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by nextstep(m): 3:49pm On Mar 29, 2016
tpiah01:

I don't know about the veracity of this particular story, but I've observed this phenomenon in several countries where language imperialism still holds sway, albeit in subtle ways.

I doubt the officials would object to naming the child Mary (Hebrew), Katherine (English), Rosaria (Spanish), Stephanie (French), Heidi (German), or Anastasia (Greek). None of these are Portuguese sounding. Are you telling me that parents from other parts of the world who reside in Brazil are denied their choice of baby names to reflect their own origin?

This is a racist and ignorant policy. Yoruba names are just as valid as names from other countries in Europe. Yes, the child may be subject to some bullying in school (but shouldn't teachers and other adults be sensitized to prevent children from doing it), but that is not sufficient reason to deny a child her heritage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Drinkwater(m): 3:56pm On Mar 29, 2016
unverified lies
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by okeyxyz(m): 4:00pm On Mar 29, 2016
tpiah01:

Really?? Wow! You see your inferiority complex?? Always willing to suppress your identity in order to be more accepted by your oppressors

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by tpiah01: 4:03pm On Mar 29, 2016
who is this one again?
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by OBAGADAFFI: 4:04pm On Mar 29, 2016
officials have to check whether or not the name could affect the child negatively later in life. This has led many parents to choose European-sounding names.

What oracle did they consult to know this.

Is the registration office into stargazing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by tpiah01: 4:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
nextstep:

I don't know about the veracity of this particular story, but I've observed this phenomenon in several countries where language imperialism still holds sway, albeit in subtle ways.

I doubt the officials would object to naming the child Mary (Hebrew), Katherine (English), Rosaria (Spanish), Stephanie (French), Heidi (German), or Anastasia (Greek). None of these are Portuguese sounding. Are you telling me that parents from other parts of the world who reside in Brazil are denied their choice of baby names to reflect their own origin?

This is a racist and ignorant policy. Yoruba names are just as valid as names from other countries in Europe. Yes, the child may be subject to some bullying in school (but shouldn't teachers and other adults be sensitized to prevent children from doing it), but that is not sufficient reason to deny a child her heritage.

if that's their law (I dont know though), then the parents should make the child's name sound more Portuguese.

I dont see anything to fight over.
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by chumaster(m): 4:06pm On Mar 29, 2016
Disaino:
For ur mind wetin u just yarn make sense?... undecidedFor ur mind wetin u just yarn make sense?...
na your own pain in the as5 be that, no be mine
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by GooseBaba: 4:13pm On Mar 29, 2016
grbgrb4:
Brother,when in rome behave like Roman. there's nothing like racism there, also people answer two names...why not register her with an English name while you use the tribal name on her at home.

Apparently you don't know the historic connection with yoruba heritage/lineage of African Brazilians.

And also, how can you say there's nothing like racism. But you want the parents to only use her tribal name at home. Do you have sense at all?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by ritahot(f): 4:13pm On Mar 29, 2016
hensben:
Racism at is peak forgetting that greatest footballer from Brazil is black.

It has nothing to do with racism!. The name made no sense at all!!. In Nigeria do they make any sense the way the act?
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 29, 2016
SweetDaara:
No be people names be stones, drinkwater, Dickson, and even condom? * wetin be uba wahala

Even Hulk , Hazard and Areola ( wonder what the parents were thinking )
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Mattew690(m): 4:16pm On Mar 29, 2016
Make una name am Nene or Titi

I pray it work well for you

#Rasicsm #Race na south Africa startAM
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bnladan:
U cud hv add "ino" or "ho in d name. Smthn lyk "Folukinho" or "Folukino". Dey'll accept d name grin

Walahi you no serious , see as you make the coke wey I dey drink go choke me
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by tpiah01: 4:20pm On Mar 29, 2016
the names are even from different parts of Africa.

According to the write up, Makeda is an Ethiopian name meaning queen.

I think I agree this naming pattern might affect the innocent baby.

Just give her a Portuguese name.

If the father is Afreeka instead of Africa, why must the baby be the one to carry traditional naming patterns?
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by Bnladan(m): 4:20pm On Mar 29, 2016
neoapocalypse:

Walahi you no serious , see as you make me the coke wey I dey drink go choke me
sorry o my broda grin
Re: Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple by hucienda: 4:26pm On Mar 29, 2016
Bnladan:
grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Prince Adeyeye May Be The Next Ooni Of Ife (Photo) / Ooni: How my daughter almost lost her life to SARS operatives / The Land And The People Of Osun: History, Facts And Fugures .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.