Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,394 members, 7,781,132 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:31 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11325378 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1169) (1170) (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) ... (16042) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:11pm On Jun 25, 2017
kennysville:

I will do my best without resorting to disrespect. Trolling me is not the way to go. This is not a case of sports minister. It is a case of a clueless NFF with little ideas as to move the nation's football forward.. I dont remember which era it was, bit i recall there was a season in which U20 played against the U23 and U20 won. And I sure as hell know it was not this pinnick Era. And the idea certainly had nothing to do with the sports ministry then. What I was talking about is all about football development @ grassroot. A well funded team in the NPFL. Funded by the FA, with the best of players, trained by an a world class or at least a coach with depyh and quality.

For the last couple of hundreds of pages , I have seen people talk about harvesting Nigerian born English talents. Truth is if England never groomed them, there wont be anything to harvest. We can call britain all manner of names but in reality, what have we invested that we think we so deserve these players? At best SPERM! We talk about Agbonlahors, Dele Allis, Solankes, Ejarias. But the question really is what have we done?

This is a time to call a spade a spade and not call it agricultural implement. When you run for leadership in a body like NFF, have plans for development. END OF STORY!

lolzz you don funny, anyway, I wont troll as you said, but you forget that finance is important, I know you know so let me leave it there,

you said the bff is clueless , hmmmmm, I will only said hmmm

on nothing to do with sport minister again I will said hmmmmm, jst hmmmm

not under pi,nick era, did u-20 play against u23, still hmmmmmm
ah go jst hmmm dey o like that,

but I rest my case cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:32pm On Jun 25, 2017
Over a year after failed Tottenham move, Musa Yahaya gets chance to impress new Porto boss

The young Nigerian never made the grade at Tottenham Hotspur and was quickly moved on.

Tottenham Hotspur fans would be forgiven for not recognising the name Musa Yahaya ; after all, the young Nigerian was only at Spurs for the briefest of times, beginning training with Mauricio Pochettino's side before quickly seeing his pre-contract agreement ripped up when he failed to impress.

As reported by All Nigeria Soccer back in January, having seen what Yahaya could do up close, Tottenham quickly asked for a refund on the player they had previously agreed to spend £250,000 on, and the rest is history.

Since then he has been on the books at Portimonense and, more recently, FC Porto, and as reported exclusively by Own Goal Nigeria this weekend, Yahaya is finally getting the chance to prove his worth with the Portuguese giants.
article continues below

The report claims new Porto coach Sergio Conceaio wants to take a close look at the attacking midfielder by including him in his pre-season squad.

Yet to make his first-team debut, this could be the opportunity the 19-year-old has been waiting for, but after failing so quickly at Tottenham, he will not want to suffer the ignominy of being cast aside twice in just two years.

Only time will tell if Tottenham judged Yahaya took quickly or if, even for the nominal fee they initially agreed, his signing was not a risk worth taking.

It is not as if Tottenham do not have plenty of exciting youngsters of their own who have seized their opportunities during training, some rewarded with senior shots as a result.

Source: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/25/over-a-year-after-failed-tottenham-move-musa-yahaya-gets-first-t/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:59pm On Jun 25, 2017
Den Haag Grant Ebuehi One - Week Holidays Extension , Resumes JULY 3
By David Meshioye

Super Eagles right-back, Tyronne Ebuehi, has been handed a one-week holidays extension by his Dutch side ADO Den Haag, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

ADO Den Haag will commence preparations for the new season on Monday with a small group of players, but the duo of Tyronne Ebuehi and Ernestas Setkus have been excused from first training, which is scheduled for 17.30GMT in Cars Jeans Stadium.

According to a release posted on the club website, the young and dynamic right-back has been informed of his holidays extension following his international engagement with Nigeria's Super Eagles, which according to the club's rule automatically qualifies him for a longer holidays.

Tyrone Ebuehi is expected to rejoin the team on July 3.

Born in the Netherlands to a Nigerian father and Dutch mother , Ebuehi was called up by Nigeria in 2016 for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Algeria, but he turned down the offer on the ground that he needed some time to settle into his club ADO Den Haag.

He was later called up for the friendlies vs Senegal and Burkina Faso in March 2017, and joined up with the Super Eagles squad.

Ebuehi made his senior debut for Nigeria in a 3-0 friendly win over Togo on June first 2017.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/den-haag-grant-ebuehi-one-week-holidays-extensionresumes-july-3/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Den Haag Grant Ebuehi One - Week Holidays Extension , Resumes JULY 3
By David Meshioye

Super Eagles right-back, Tyronne Ebuehi, has been handed a one-week holidays extension by his Dutch side ADO Den Haag, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

ADO Den Haag will commence preparations for the new season on Monday with a small group of players, but the duo of Tyronne Ebuehi and Ernestas Setkus have been excused from first training, which is scheduled for 17.30GMT in Cars Jeans Stadium.

According to a release posted on the club website, the young and dynamic right-back has been informed of his holidays extension following his international engagement with Nigeria's Super Eagles, which according to the club's rule automatically qualifies him for a longer holidays.

Tyrone Ebuehi is expected to rejoin the team on July 3.

Born in the Netherlands to a Nigerian father and Dutch mother , Ebuehi was called up by Nigeria in 2016 for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Algeria, but he turned down the offer on the ground that he needed some time to settle into his club ADO Den Haag.

He was later called up for the friendlies vs Senegal and Burkina Faso in March 2017, and joined up with the Super Eagles squad.

Ebuehi made his senior debut for Nigeria in a 3-0 friendly win over Togo on June first 2017.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/den-haag-grant-ebuehi-one-week-holidays-extensionresumes-july-3/
international rep tinz grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:44pm On Jun 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Undesirable?? 3goals in 5games as a no.9/CF undesirable? Of which two games are competitive? And Nacho is credited with being one of the reasons Algeria fell in Uyo that day?? No goals against Algeria but we saw what his intelligent off the ball movements did to their defence. The coach of the Algerian team pointed it out... but you guys just refuse to see it. But you hang on to what Baxter says because Nigeria lost to SA.

And when I give you stats of what he does in the world's toughest league... isn't that supposed to tell you something?

Look.... you are looking at the wrong Angle brother.

See Sir Forgiveness... I know you are not flowing well with Chief Icon4s right now but I plead with you to go read his quote to Sir Mickael2 on this same page.

I don't wanna keep repeating myself. Our problem against South Africa was the midfield. We need our most assured finisher in that game against Cameroun home and away.

The Obafemi Martin you keep mentioning... lemme tell you something you may not know about him but which I know.

At Intermilan in 2004/2005, I think, Martins was reputed as The deadliest in Europe in terms of goals per mins ratio. In fact, his goals ratio trumped that of the legendary Super goal scorer of Ac Milan back then, Andriy Shevchenko... I was only 12 in 2004 but from my head I recall reading a magazine that broke this down about Obagoal.

Now leading up to the Nations cup, Martins was scoring in somw games but will go lost in other games. He was still out best finisher and striker. So we had to stick to him.

At Nations cup 2006, when Martins kept struggling for goals for Nigeria at The Afcon, we still stuck to him. Against Ghana and Zimbabwe he didn't deliver and it was not entirely his fault. It was even a Mikel and Obodo who came to the rescue against Zimbabwe and a Taiye Taiwo who won us the Ghana game.

Martins, One of Europe's deadliest finishers was yet to get a goal.

But against Senegal... he finally delivered two goals all Orchestrated by the magic of a young rising Midfield general called John Mikel Obi.

That game against Senegal was super tight but his finishing made Mikel's first Afcon start for Nigeria look so super glorious.

Martins struggled in games where we played the very gifted Oruma and we did create couple of chances and martins also flunked many... but when Mikel came in, martins shone.

He proved his quality.

Against Tunisia, same story of no goals again. Against CIV, even with Okocha... still no goal.

Now tell me... judging by your logic of "undesirable"... was Martins' stats undesirable for that period or not?? Fact is it was definitely not desirable for a no.9

But fact remained that He was our best Striker/point man and no.9. Our best bet of finishing. He was even rated then ahead of Aghahowa.

Now three years later in 2009, We needed Martins' super finishing in the box to help us secure World Cup qualification for SA 2010.

You just don't cast away your most assured finishers for any given period... they are your best bet of winning some really tight games

My point? As Martins was to us back then... so is Iheanacho to the team now. Our most lethal finisher and best CF option. You just cannot look past him.

And that is why an older Martins cannot even be considered over Nacho right now.... just like how It was martins over a once-undroppable Aghahowa (unless we were playing two up-top).

My reservation about Iheanacho playing as a CF for Super Eagles was not formed as a result of the loss against SA. It was after the match against Algeria I saw it all and other matches further strengthened it.

Well, I will not stretch the argument further. Rather leave it to the coach to use his brain. EOD

A player who scored 3 goals at a stretch in 3 matches as a SS but suddenly struggles as soon as he was deployed to the CF. He needs to examine his head else he will be fired.

The same scenario Martins Obafemi faced in Newcastle when he was deployed to an unfamiliar role on the wings. Wetin happen? Before then he banged in goals left right and center despite limited game time.

@bolded needs some clarification.. "will go lost in other games"

In how many games was he lost out of the 10 matches played during the FIFA world cup qualifiers?

In the first match against Rwanda, Martins scored 2 goals.

In the second match against Angola, he was not in the team.

In the third match against Algeria, he was in the team but didn't score due to the obvious reason that the Algerians came for a draw. I still remembered how Yobo scored in the late minutes of the game through header.

In the 4th match against Zimbabwe, he was not in the team.

In the 5th match against Gabon, he was not in the team.

In the 6th match against Gabon, he didn't score.

In the 7th match against Rwanda, he scored a goal.

In the 8th match against Angola, he was not in the team.

In the 9th match against Zimbabwe, he scored 3 goals.

In the 10th match against Algeria, he scored 2 goals.

Where did you get "lost in other games" as if he played all the matches?

Is this performance desirable or not?

You can't compare Martins' statistics with Iheanacho, he no match. Martins ratio is far better. Don't compare.

Prior to the 2006 Africa Nations cup, are you not aware Martins just came back after few days or months out of Football due to injury?

Apart from that, it's all about the attributes you can find in a CF which I suppose Iheanacho is lacking.

D person wey call himself icon of Nigerian football no go come here come give historical lectures about wetin really happened from wetin you just write because it will not blow blow em ego. Very predictable fellow.

He only gives history lectures to suit himself and ego. I dey here to dey counter ya lies. grin

Anyway, I think Martins Obafemi is still needed in the team. He has scored 6 goals in 8 matches in Chinko land this season despite the fact that he had scored double digits two previous seasons.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:48pm On Jun 25, 2017
Is iheanacho replaceable? Yes, as a matter of fact, very well. Therefore he shouldn't be swept in the illusion that he's arrived.

I was disgusted by his conduct while he was substituted during the last game. Strolling off the pitch as if your team is 3 goals up meanwhile, you're a goal down and you had little or no impact in the game.

I'd really respect Rohr if he relegates him to the bench against Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
junnyjake:
Is iheanacho replaceable? Yes, as a matter of fact, very well. Therefore he shouldn't be swept in the illusion that he's arrived.

I was disgusted by his conduct while he was substituted during the last game. Strolling off the pitch as if your team is 3 goals up meanwhile, you're a goal down and you had little or no impact in the game.

I wonder where you get the opinion that anyone is suggesting Iheanacho has arrived. We say he is our most lethal finisher. He was not gifted the starting position. He worked hard and earned it. If we had it locked up front with the so called players you feel will comfortably replace him, do you think we woukd have had a striking problem. Do you know how much we suffered from poor conversion?

Do not say he is replaceable. List the players you want him replaced with.

Also, Nacho was disappointed the team was down and wanted to stay on the pitch to help nullify the South Africans. Yes he was unprofessional but he is twenty and wanted to help. I doubt that merits dropping.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
junnyjake:

You will advise Rohr to drop his most lethal finisher in the game against Cameroon. Glad you are not an adviser Rohr listens to.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:06am On Jun 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
For those who wanna know, if they have been scoring.... or have scored any goal at all... well here it is... Ideye has four... Ighalo has two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSL : Ighalo , Ideye Fire Blanks As Changchun Draw At Chongqing , Tianjin Teda Lose At Home
By James Agberebi

Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo featured for Changchun Yatai, but did not score as they held Chongqing Lifan to a 1-1 away draw in the Chinese Super League on Saturday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Ighalo played 90 minutes for Changchun Yatai.

Zhenyu Du gave Changchun Yatai the lead in the 56th minute but Huan Liu equalised for Chongqing Lifan with 20 minutes left.

The game was Ighalo's 12th in the league this season, and has scored two goals.

The draw means Changchun Yatai are 11th on 13 points in the league table.

In another CSL game played on Saturday, Brown Ideye made a 90 minutes appearance for Tianjin Teda who lost 2-1 at home to Guangzhou R and F FC.

Tianjin Teda took the lead in the 26th minute through Yuanyi Li before Eran Zahavi made it 1-1 on 39 minutes.

And in the 75th minute, Renatinho scored the winner to give Guangzhou and R and F the win.

Ideye has made 13 appearances for Tianjin Teda this campaign with four goals.

Tianjin Teda are now 13th on 13 points on the log.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/csl-ighalo-ideye-fire-blanks-changchun-draw-chongqing-tianjin-teda-lose-home/

Martins has scored 5 goals out of 8 matches this season. Remember, he scored 15 goals last season, 16 goals two seasons ago and 19 goals 3 seasons ago.

We need such kind of player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:09am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Martins has scored 5 goals out of 8 matches this season. Remember, he scored 15 goals last season, 16 goals two seasons ago and 19 goals 3 seasons ago.

You can decide to drive your car by keeping your eyes on the rare view. Rohr is looking forward into the future.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:12am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Oh. You guys do not want a big target man again after Vincent Aboubakar's show. Now it is Martins. Lol.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:15am On Jun 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You can decide to drive your car by keeping your eyes on the rare view. Rohr is looking forward into the future.

What do you know about the future?

Do you know better than the Germans, the Brazilians, the Swedish, the Ghanaians, the Italians etc wey still dey use players over 30 years old?

No wonder Africa no go fit win World cup with shallow mentality of the future when the present his promising.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:16am On Jun 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Oh. You guys do not want a big target man again after Vincent Aboubakar's show. Now it is Martins. Lol.

Where you see me mention big target man?

You are quoting the wrong person.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:17am On Jun 26, 2017
The Big Target man could not find the target. But he held up play, huffed and puffed like puff puff.

Now they want the shortest of them all.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:19am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Where you see me mention big target man?

You are quoting the wrong person.

Oh you do not want big target man. Lol.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:21am On Jun 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
The Big Target man could not find the target. But he held up play, huffed and puffed like puff puff.

So, The shortest can't score ba?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:22am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

What do you know about the future?

Do you know better than the Germans, the Brazilians, the Swedish, the Ghanaians, the Italians etc wey still dey use over 30 of age players?

No wonder Africa no go fit win World cup with shallow mentality of the future when the present his promising.

Em, I thought Rohr is German. Do you know more than him? You are forgetting that most of these teams you are mentioning are from countries with stable footballing environment and leagues. So it is easy to maintain a squad and keep building with time. Keep in mind we did not qualify for the last two Nation Cup. We are not in the same position as the Brazilians and Germans.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:28am On Jun 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Em, I thought Rohr is German. Do you know more than him? You are forgetting that most of these teams you are mentioning are from countries with stable footballing environment and leagues. So it is easy to maintain a squad and keep building with time. Keep in mind we did not qualify for the last two Nation Cup. We are not in the same position as the Brazilians and Germans.

What does he know better than those winning World cup with players over 30 years of age?

Is he better than those coaches?

What do you mean by stable footballing environment and league?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:36am On Jun 26, 2017
Ha. This is frustrating. So because Rohr did not call Ajagun, it means Ajagun is not good enough to play attack midfield.

Around this time last year, I remember you are one of those who questioned and mocked this lad when he was declared surplus to requirement. You asked "if he is good enough why did they loan him out". But now, you are singing a new song as soon the same faith awaits Nacho.

Should I start asking the same question for me to know how you all will respond? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:42am On Jun 26, 2017
Mickael2:

you do understand that the CMF is the box to box, do you think Iwobi can do that?

Oga, no worry ya head with Icon4s analyses. He's only thinking of playing Iwobi the Arsenal boy in the team.

Who doesn't know Iwobi is not a tested CMF?

I have said it several times that the national team wants to accommodate only some sets of players in the National team hence the need convert players upandan from their natural position to makeshift position.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:01am On Jun 26, 2017
After the Algeria game? shocked

But You read what Leekens said didn't you? Nacho's off the ball movements and high pressing destabilized the Algerians. When TheGoodJoe was pointing it out, people came for his head saying he has come again with cooked-up theories.

But Leekens and an Algerian Football Journo confirmed it. The coach specifically singled out Nacho as one of the reasons Algeria lost. He didn't score that day and had one shot at goal which he blew over after slightly escaping his marker thanks to Musa's fine low cross. But he did have a say on the scoreline. He constantly drew the Algerian defenders out of positions allowing his attacking team mates to exploit those tiny pockets of space.

And on Martins... my focus is not on the "go lost in some matches"... coz everything I typed there is from my head... man I was 12 mehn...

But also from my head... I know Martins suffered goals drought at the Afcon in 2006.

He only scored a brace against Senegal.

My point was based on Martins at the Afcon on the back of his super clinicality in front of goal which was undisputably spectacular.

First game vs Ghana... he fired blanks.

Second game vs Zimbabwe.... he fired blanks again.

Third game vs Senegal..... he scored a beautiful brace on Mikel's first Afcon start for Nigeria. Mikel was the architect of the two goals. Gave an assist and gave the pass before Kanu's assist found Martins.

Fourth game vs Tunisia... Martins again fired blanks

Fifth game vs CIV.... he fired blanks again...

Lemme stop here. What am I trying to say?

Trust/Faith in Martins' undoubted quality was rewarded in that Senegal game. But he still went four games without a goal.

Is that undesirable?? or desirable??

We both know according to your logic... it is not desirable.

So give Nacho a break. He have had just Two competitive games as the CF/No.9/Top striker.....

Besides, he is still the best for that role right now. He can play the SS and AM roles but right now, we have the AM covered with Mikel there and need our best finisher up top... this is where Nacho trumps all others.

Martins of today has big experience... but truth is... he is way past his prime.

Is he needed in the team? Maybe... but not as our top striking option.

I remember when Emenike was injured after the Afcon and Nigeria went to the Confed Cup without him.... it was Martins that was invited to take Emenike's place for the World cup qualifiers against Kenya in Nigeria.

This was weeks after the 2013 Confed cup. You remember that game? Or was it before the Confed cup? I am not sure for now... but I know it was after the Afcon glory and Emenike was injured.

Martins was a shadow of himself... and went lost in that game.

The game ended 1-1... Kenya scored first thru a wonderful freekick before we grabbed a late equaliser.

Keshi found it hard calling back Martins.

Oliseh called up Martins... and Did martins deliver? Nope. Same match saw Nacho's debut as a sub. It was against Swaziland. Martins was also subbed in.

Martins went blank in recent games for Nigeria. And you think he will suddenly come back and rip the Camerounian net to shreds??

Think again Sir Forgiveness.

Iheanacho is ahead of Martins right now... way way ahead.

#Fact... over and out.

forgiveness:

My reservation about Iheanacho playing as a CF for Super Eagles was not formed as a result of the loss against SA. It was after the match against Algeria I saw it all and other matches further strengthened it.

Well, I will not stretch the argument further. Rather leave it to the coach to use his brain. EOD

A player who scored 3 goals at a stretch in 3 matches as a SS but suddenly struggles as soon as he was deployed to the CF. He needs to examine his head else he will be fired.

The same scenario Martins Obafemi faced in Newcastle when he was deployed to an unfamiliar role on the wings. Wetin happen? Before then he banged in goals left right and center despite limited game time.

@bolded needs some clarification.. "will go lost in other games"

In how many games was he lost out of the 10 matches played during the FIFA world cup qualifiers?

In the first match against Rwanda, Martins scored 2 goals.

In the second match against Angola, he was not in the team.

In the third match against Algeria, he was in the team but didn't score due to the obvious reason that the Algerians came for a draw. I still remembered how Yobo scored in the late minutes of the game through header.

In the 4th match against Zimbabwe, he was not in the team.

In the 5th match against Gabon, he was not in the team.

In the 6th match against Gabon, he didn't score.

In the 7th match against Rwanda, he scored a goal.

In the 8th match against Angola, he was not in the team.

In the 9th match against Zimbabwe, he scored 3 goals.

In the 10th match against Algeria, he scored 2 goals.

Where did you get "lost in other games" as if he played all the matches?

Is this performance desirable or not?

You can't compare Martins' statistics with Iheanacho, he no match. Martins ratio is far better. Don't compare.

Prior to the 2006 Africa Nations cup, are you not aware Martins just came back after few days or months out of Football due to injury?

Apart from that, it's all about the attributes you can find in a CF which I suppose Iheanacho is lacking.

D person wey call himself icon of Nigerian football no go come here come give historical lectures about wetin really happened from wetin you just write because it will not blow blow em ego. Very predictable fellow.

He only gives history lectures to suit himself and ego. I dey here to dey counter ya lies. grin

Anyway, I think Martins Obafemi is still needed in the team. He has scored 6 goals in 8 matches in Chinko land this season despite the fact that he had scored double digits two previous seasons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:08am On Jun 26, 2017
Well... truth is I wouldn't put Iwobi in the CMF role now. He is still growing in the game and hasn't garnered enough experience for the CM/CMF role.

He is best suited for the AM role. But since we got Mikel there... then it means Iwobi will have to start from the bench against Cameoroun. It is hard saying this... but that is the reality for now.

I prefer Etebo or Simon Moses to start on the LW and Victor Moses on the RW.

That way, we have two wingers who will also help/cover for our fullbacks defensively and also offer great strides in attack.

But all other parts of Chief Icon4s' analysis looks on point.

But Iwobi for CMF? Nope. smiley

forgiveness:

Oga, no worry ya head with Icon4s analyses. He's only thinking of playing Iwobi the Arsenal boy in the team.

I have said it several times that the national team wants to accommodate only some sets of players in the National team hence the need convert players upandan from their natural position to makeshift position.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:14am On Jun 26, 2017
Olarenwaju ’ s Agent To Listen To Offers From Lokomotiv , CSKA , Netanya
By David Meshioye

Barring any last minute hitches, Kayode Olarenwaju's agent, Frants Hertsogis, is expected in Moscow in the coming weeks to commence negotiations with top Russian Premier League sides, FC Lokomotiv Moscow and CSKA Moscow, over a possible move for his client, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

SportsexpressRussia reported on Sunday that three clubs are currently showing interest to sign on the Austrian Tipigo Bundesliga top scorer, with Lokomotiv and CSKA Moscow leading the chase for the 24-year old Nigerian.

Hertsogis had promptly denied reports that a deal with Spartak Moscow was on the table for the Austria Wien forward, but recent invitations for a closed door discussion with the Moscow clubs’ chieftains further gave credence to the fact that his client may be heading to the Russian league next season.

Another top club seeking to sign Kayode is Israeli top side Maccabi Netanya, and it is believed Hertsogis may also weigh that option, pending the outcome of his discussions with FC Lokomotiv Moscow and CSKA Moscow.

Kayode finished 2016-17 season as Austrian Tipigo Bundesliga top scorer.

He scored 17 goals in 33 league games for the Violets, making
it a total of 24 goals in all competitions in the concluded season.

The Generali Arena outfit finished second on the league table behind RedBull Salzburg with 63 points and will play in the Europa League next season.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/olarenwajus-agent-listen-offers-lokomotiv-cska-netanya/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:17am On Jun 26, 2017
Chidiebere Nwakali Crash With Sogndal In Norway; Adegbenro, Shuaibu In Action As Viking Vs Haugesund Ends In Stalemate
By James Agberebi

Golden Eaglets' 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup winning midfielder, Chidiebere Nwakali, was in action for his Norwegian topflight side Sogndal who lost 3-0 away to Rosenborg on Sunday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Nwakali who is on loan from Manchester City, featured for 90 minutes in the game for Sogndal.

It was Nwakali's 14th league appearance for Sogndal without a goal.

Matthias Vilhjalmsson (60th minute) and a brace from Milan Jevtovic (65th and 67th minute), secured the win for Rosenborg.

In another Norwegian first division game on Sunday, Nigerian winger, Samuel Adegbenro played 90 minutes for Viking who were held to a 1-1 home draw against FK Haugesund.

Ibrahim Shuaibu was in Haugesund's starting eleven before he was replaced on 46 minutes by Frederik Gytkjaer, while his Nigerian teammate Ikenna Ikedi was benched.

Kwesi Appiah gave Viking the lead in the 29th minute but an 88th minute equaliser from Vegard Skjerve, made sure both teams shared the spoils.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/chidiebere-nwakali-crash-sogndal-norway-adegbenro-shuaibu-action-viking-vs-haugesund-ends-stalemate/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25am On Jun 26, 2017
I wonder what good your respect for Rohr will be for us when we go on to lose that game or maybe fail to finish off cameroun because we benched our most lethal striker. undecided

You don't take rash decisions that will end up making matters worse than worst. Rohr relegates him and brings in who plss? Who? That player must be better if not... sorry man... nacho starts.

And on Nacho's reaction to being subbed off... I have explained that in very good details several pages back. Unfortunately, you were not here. So let it go.

Nacho has not arrived. He is just 20yrs old. He is dealing with the responsibility of being one of the team's key players despite his young age. He is still growing and has lots and lots to learn. This is football. We take decisions based on achieving results and not based on Emotions.

junnyjake:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:30am On Jun 26, 2017
Chaaaiiiiii.... Sir TheGoodJoe.... your mouth ehn..... abi na ya fingers.... Looolllll

My belle oooo....

TheGoodJoe:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:36am On Jun 26, 2017
You know a counter-question will be asked.... cheesy

It is just waiting for your question.. grin

forgiveness:

Around this time last year, I remember you are one of those who questioned and mocked this lad when he was declared surplus to requirement. You asked "if he is good enough why did they loan him out". But now, you are singing a new song as soon the same faith awaits Nacho.

Should I start asking the same question for me to know how you all will respond? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:43am On Jun 26, 2017
Please has anyone seen tbaba1234 anywhere on nairaland lately?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:18am On Jun 26, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Well... truth is I wouldn't put Iwobi in the CMF role now. He is still growing in the game and hasn't garnered enough experience for the CM/CMF role.

He is best suited for the AM role. But since we got Mikel there... then it means Iwobi will have to start from the bench against Cameoroun. It is hard saying this... but that is the reality for now.

I prefer Etebo or Simon Moses to start on the LW and Victor Moses on the RW.

That way, we have two wingers who will also help/cover for our fullbacks defensively and also offer great strides in attack.

But all other parts of Chief Icon4s' analysis looks on point.

But Iwobi for CMF? Nope. smiley

Well, I understand our fears especially after the SA game. You don't try an UNTESTED player in a position in a big game. It shows we are coming to a landing on that issue as it caused several debates in the past.

Now the issue of Iwobi, if you recall my comment on it. I said I was just pondering on it. The thing is a CM needs to be a very creative player. Etebo is more of a forward direct player that with a very organized defense he cannot link up play with the attackers. Iwobi is more creative than Etebo. The creativity that Mikel brings for instance is what set him apart as an AM or CM for Nigeria even though he is a DM at Club level.

Etebo to me does better as a winger than as an AM or CM.

Now to set the records straight Alex Iwobi started off as a CM in Arsenal. The competition at the Center (Carzola, Wilshire, Ramsey, Arteter) made Wenger to draft him to the wings. Iwobi played as a CM in one of the cup games (I think Capital one cup) last season.

Mikel started off as an AM in his early years but got converted to a DM at Chelsea. But that AM instinct is still there in him.

It is the job of the coaches to understudy high potential players and see how best to utilize their potentials and not just to throw them straight to the bench just like the Iheanacho calls.

The Super Eagles team needs a very creative central midfielder. I hope Kelechi Nwakali too learns the ropes quickly.

cc: Michael2

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 6:48am On Jun 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Why are you like this?

Someone is trying to say something reasonable you are just spewing trash here.

If they say you should make contribution now na only Ajagun you go fit talk.

If you don't have anything more to contribute to this thread just log off and join the #teamghostmode#

icon4s has just raised a valid point here.
Etebo is not creative enough to be our CM or AM in the long run.

Several players play different roles in club and country.

Though I am not of the opinion we play Iwobi as a CM against Cameroon but it is something the technical crew can look into to experiment with in a less competitive game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:06am On Jun 26, 2017
Petrobros:

Why are you like this?

Someone is trying to say something reasonable you are just spewing trash here.

If they say you should make contribution now na only Ajagun you go fit talk.

If you don't have anything more to contribute to this thread just log off and join the #teamghostmode#

icon4s has just raised a valid point here.
Etebo is not creative enough to be our CM or AM in the long run.

Several players play different roles in club and country.

Though I am not of the opinion we play Iwobi as a CM against Cameroon but it is something the technical crew can look into to experiment with in a less competitive game.

Ah Petrobros that was harsh men.

No send anybody to ghost mode o.

The beauty of this thread lies in the diversity of the opinions of it's various members. If we all always agree then we come here read news articles and vamose to ghost mode.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 7:29am On Jun 26, 2017
Icon4s:

Ah Petrobros that was harsh men.

No send anybody to ghost mode o.

The beauty of this thread lies in the diversity of the opinions of it's various members. If we all always agree then we come here read news articles and vamose to ghost mode.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion here.

You guys that have patience for his trash get time. He is getting of hand on this thread.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions. So I have just aired mine.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1169) (1170) (1171) (1172) (1173) (1174) (1175) ... (16042) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: daveP(m), elyte89 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.