Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1218) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11577868 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1215) (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) ... (16117) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

Presently, Caf have very low TV viewership, low prize money, poor branding, all these are not likely to change.

Having countries like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and UAE playing in the AFCON will strengthen the competition commercially and other otherwise. We need to raise the standard and profile of the competition. It's not like your Rwandas and Djiboutis can't qualify. Africa will still present 20 or 21 teams.

We have to be creative. AN AFCON with those stranded African countries who can't afford to sponsor their teams through the qualifiers (remember Niger? Adebayor single handedly sponsored Togo through the qualifiers etc) is not commercially viable and makes no sense.
I doubt anyone can prove me wrong or convince me otherwise.

U are forgetting that CAF just signed a new tv contract. In fact countries and clubs will start receiving money from CAF every year. The only thing that was in the way of CAF was the EPL and now that is gone. Messi has had to fund Argentina so this is not a new phenomenon in world football. Look at Madagascar who all of a Sudden are making waves, we can't lock these countries out all in the name of money.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:08pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U can't tell grown people what to wear. In Uyo people put on more EPL than Nigerian jerseys. U can't start telling people to take off clothes they paid for.

better than putting in reds, wich was the traditional colours of the pharaohs,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:11pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

The demograph of our North African brothers and say Bahrain are basically the same. Humans carved out barriers for themselves.
Australia is not an Asian country but they chose to be part of the Asian Federation.
Having you asked yourself why Isreal is playing in the Uefa champions league when they are located in the middle East. They even hosted a European U21 championship some years ago.

Morocco are presently a member of Ecowas.

Frontiers are being expanded my good friend.

you are right, they should even go into partnership with GEORGIA , so Dem sef go play AFCON,

partnership ma ass,

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 12:20pm On Jul 21, 2017
DrKlever:
u mean the fans that cannot even afford a green shirt or the types that climb flood light and yet cannot make loud cheers to support their fans... neutral crowd that makes home matches look like away matches, i cannot forget Nigeria vs Egypt afcon qualifiers in kano were most of the fans wore red which was even our opponent's colour.. so pissing!
Oga I was in that stadium live. Fans cheered every S.E touch from the beginning till the end.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 21, 2017
Alloy Agu is also the goal keeper trainer at Nassarawa utd.
For Pete's sake,he must have seen other goal keepers in the NPFL.Yet he cant find any goalkeeper good enough to be in goal.

Alloy Agu should be sacked ASAP.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2017
do4luv14:

better than putting in reds, wich was the traditional colours of the pharaohs,

It's never about the clothes you wear but about what you give to the team in support. In that regard Kaduna was outstanding.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

It's never about the clothes you wear but about what you give to the team in support. In that regard Kaduna was outstanding.

lolzzz, read what you type again,
you wanna support a team, yet you put on a colour that represents the opponent, you called that support,

chaiiii
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2017
Of course, they are! KC is an A-list striker. Problem is, he just haven't been given enough chances to show what he's got.

Watch him explodes when he gets a chance to play next season.

O pari

safarigirl:
Leicester City fans are eager for the Iheanacho unveiling. The thread create to monitor his transfer almost broke a recors for most pages accrued.

Mods had to close it, nice to see the enthusiasm, one would think they were signing some A-list striker

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are forgetting that CAF just signed a new tv contract. In fact countries and clubs will start receiving money from CAF every year. The only thing that was in the way of CAF was the EPL and now that is gone. Messi has had to fund Argentina so this is not a new phenomenon in world football. Look at Madagascar who all of a Sudden are making waves, we can't lock these countries out all in the name of money.

You're seriously celebrating that mediocre deal they signed? About 53 member nation in Africa will share $250 Million dollars over a period of 8 years. When you compare with the Epl TV right deal which is in excess of £5 Billion for just a 3 year period, you will see how they sold themseleves short in that slavish 8year deal.

You can't play down the influence having more money can do for member nations. Even those who don't qualify for the competition will get money to develop the game in their countries. The AFCON as it is cannot prepare a team adequately to challenge the world at the world cup.
Have in mind that 4 or 5 more teams will still qualify if they go with this proposal. That's 4-5 more cindarella story for you.

Africa football will benefit more with more money than having 10 extra tourist teams at the AFCON.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
do4luv14:

lolzzz, read what you type again,
you wanna support a team, yet you put on a colour that represents the opponent, you called that support,

chaiiii

So are u saying that the players won't hear them shout because of the color of their shirt? We are talking about people who even went as far as putting their lives at risk to see their beloved eagles. They are not part of the supporters club. These are private citizens who have the right to wear what they please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:19pm On Jul 21, 2017
Joe, you gotta take some of those reports with a grain of salt.

First many of them are coming from agents. Secondly, not everyone knows how to evaluate players.

O pari

TheGoodJoe:

Most reports from camping of the Super Eagles puts Alampasu as the best performing keeper. Unless another does better than him in camp, Alampasu remains the best option for the team.

Can someone get Shorunmu into that Keeper coaching role?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:20pm On Jul 21, 2017
Well, let's hope that they are coordinating this effort with Rohr. Creating confusion within the coaching crew is the last thing we need right now.

O pari

Joebie:
The goalkeeper department needs help all round. A new trainer can also press for trying other keepers that have more potential since Agu is blind lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:20pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

You're seriously celebrating that mediocre deal they signed? About 53 member nation in Africa will share $250 Million dollars over a period of 8 years. When you compare with the Epl TV right deal which is in excess of £5 Billion for just a 3 year period, you will see how they sold themseleves short in that slavish 8year deal.

You can't play down the influence having more money can do for member nations. Even those who don't qualify for the competition will get money to develop the game in their countries. The AFCON as it is cannot prepare a team adequately to challenge the world at the world cup.
Have in mind that 4 or 5 more teams will still qualify if they go with this proposal. That's 4-5 more cindarella story for you.

Africa football will benefit more with more money than having 10 extra tourist teams at the AFCON.

First it was a billion dollars. Second I was not celebrating. The fact is that bringing Asian teams into AFCON will not change anything. The deal is already done and dusted, the monies CAF will get is already set in stone. The only people who will make anything extra will be the TV people not CAF. Even if EPL brings barca and real into their league, their money will remain the same.

The only thing that might be gained would be facilities but we have not yet exhausted Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, South Africa and even Nigeria. This is an opportunity improve things in Africa, going that route will only cover up the issue. What happen when the Asian teams don't want to host again and we still don't have facilities in Africa.

We need to use this as a tool to work on the continent. Sure most can't host by themselves but they can co-host. This can enable unity in the continent with countries working hand in hand.

Africa has enough teams to fill up 24 slots, we don't need to follow that route

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:27pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

So are u saying that the players won't hear them shout because of the color of their shirt? We are talking about people who even went as far as putting their lives at risk to see their beloved eagles. They are not part of the supporters club. These are private citizens who have the right to wear what they please.

nah shout ah go chop grin

colours stand for solidarity in support, meaning we are solidly with you no matter what,

you can put on blue, and sit in enugu rangers box to support rangers against enyimba,
neither can you put on red, and sit in Chelsea box at Stanford bridge to support Chelsea, against man u
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

I don't know if you are an African, or a pro HAYUTOA,

you hav been critical of the decisions of the new board as regard AFCON,

going as far as to suggest Arab countries partnership and inclusive,

so am asking ARE YOU AN AFRICAN

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:50pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

First it was a billion dollars. Second I was not celebrating. The fact is that bringing Asian teams into AFCON will not change anything. The deal is already done and dusted, the monies CAF will get is already set in stone. The only people who will make anything extra will be the TV people not CAF. Even if EPL brings barca and real into their league, their money will remain the same.

The only thing that might be gained would be facilities but we have not yet exhausted Morocco, Egypt, Tunisia, South Africa and even Nigeria. This is an opportunity improve things in Africa, going that route will only cover up the issue. What happen when the Asian teams don't want to host again and we still don't have facilities in Africa.

We need to use this as a tool to work on the continent. Sure most can't host by themselves but they can co-host. This can enable unity in the continent with countries working hand in hand.

$250M for 8years,$ 1 Billion for 12years these are the two contradicting reports I am seeing. But whichever one it is,still very poor for a whole continent to share.

We can't sit down one place and Mark time. In 2020, we could see some Premier league games played in Asia. London hosted a few NBA games last year. I hear the Nfl is exploring options to play Nfl games outside the USA.

Other people are exploring the options of taking their game outside their own shores. While in Africa zwe are still holding on to our ethnocentric, false pan afrikanism.

Dey here. They go soon bring NBA games down to Lagos.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2017
do4luv14:

nah shout ah go chop grin

colours stand for solidarity in support, meaning we are solidly with you no matter what,

you can put on blue, and sit in enugu rangers box to support rangers against enyimba,
neither can you put on red, and sit in Chelsea box at Stanford bridge to support Chelsea, against man u

Who solidarity hep? I don't want fans who dress alike but do not support their team at all cost. I want to hear and feel them in the stadium. The people of Kaduna don't seem to mind how u dress to a game, Kaduna is not London or Enugu they have their own swag that they are rocking. This doesn't make them better or worse than anyone. Would u have liked them to beat the people wearing red or something? like I said these are adults with their own mind.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:03pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

$250M for 8years,$ 1 Billion for 12years these are the two contradicting reports I am seeing. But whichever one it is,still very poor for a whole continent to share.

We can't sit down one place and Mark time. In 2020, we could see some Premier league games played in Asia. London hosted a few NBA games last year. I hear the Nfl is exploring options to play Nfl games outside the USA.

Other people are exploring the options of taking their game outside their own shores. While in Africa zwe are still holding on to our ethnocentric, false pan afrikanism.

Dey here. They go soon bring NBA games down to Lagos.

NFL matches have been played in London for a while now. The NBA was also played in Mexico and had an exhibition match in South Africa.
All this is fine and dandy for them because who else plays these sports as well as them? They are spreading the message of their sport. They are not relying on monies made. Real Madrid and Barca have solid basketball teams with great followership but my brother u won't hear the NBA adding them anytime soon. U can even argue that Nigeria did the same thing when we went to England and France. CAF does not have to soil the tournament all in the interest of money.

Na u go dey wait tey tey for an NBA game in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
do4luv14:

I don't know if you are an African, or a pro HAYUTOA,

you hav been critical of the decisions of the new board as regard AFCON,

going as far as to suggest Arab countries partnership and inclusive,

so am asking ARE YOU AN AFRICAN

My eyes dey on this new board o, u know they even wanted to make the world cup qualifiers regional.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:28pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Who solidarity hep? I don't want fans who dress alike but do not support their team at all cost. I want to hear and feel them in the stadium. The people of Kaduna don't seem to mind how u dress to a game, Kaduna is not London or Enugu they have their own swag that they are rocking. This doesn't make them better or worse than anyone. Would u have liked them to beat the people wearing red or something? like I said these are adults with their own mind.

nah you sabi grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

My eyes dey on this new board o, u know they even wanted to make the world cup qualifiers regional.

I will support it if they want to go regional on WCQA, but on one ground only
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:23pm On Jul 21, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

NFL matches have been played in London for a while now. The NBA was also played in Mexico and had an exhibition match in South Africa.
All this is fine and dandy for them because who else plays these sports as well as them? They are spreading the message of their sport. They are not relying on monies made. Real Madrid and Barca have solid basketball teams with great followership but my brother u won't hear the NBA adding them anytime soon. U can even argue that Nigeria did the same thing when we went to England and France. CAF does not have to soil the tournament all in the interest of money.

Na u go dey wait tey tey for an NBA game in Lagos.

Time is transient. Everything evolves with time. Before they played NBA games in London, they first played exhibition games to test waters just like they did in South Africa. Be rest assured in a couple of years sole real life NBA action will be played in Sun City.

It's not sustainable to continue with the derisory pittance Caf generates and shares to member countries. Not with the massive investment of resources being witnessed in European football and CHINA! (I stressed China because they will the world cup before any African team, you can take it to the bank).

We don't stand any chance beating these guys to the world title. Not with the money and infrastructure they have. That is the hard truth.

Either we find ways of generating more money or status quo remains. As simple as that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:48pm On Jul 21, 2017
That's not a solution to countries who choose not to move forward. There are 52 countries in Africa for God sake. At least 10 are capable of rotating as hosts of AFCON if the others choose to remain behind.. Nigeria should have at least 8 standard stadia only if we have a good maintenance culture.. so the problem is really a self-inflicting one.. We ship our entertainment jobs abroad.. we patronize everything abroad. now our only beloved sports some are asking we ship away. We cannot hide behind globalization to conceal our backwardness.

How about we go back to the real issues and get serious about demanding our leaders do their jobs..

goldfish80:

The demograph of our North African brothers and say Bahrain are basically the same. Humans carved out barriers for themselves.
Australia is not an Asian country but they chose to be part of the Asian Federation.
Having you asked yourself why Isreal is playing in the Uefa champions league when they are located in the middle East. They even hosted a European U21 championship some years ago.

Morocco are presently a member of Ecowas.

Frontiers are being expanded my good friend.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2017
I hope so too..

Icon79:
Well, let's hope that they are coordinating this effort with Rohr. Creating confusion within the coaching crew is the last thing we need right now.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:57pm On Jul 21, 2017
They have just succeeded in doing just that for the age-grade tournaments.

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
yes. Africans need to rise up.

Africa no be baby. Go to these countries we call poor countries, you will be surprised that corruption is still an issue.. We like to be spoon-fed, when we the citizens are not demanding that our leaders do the right thing, but we keep being distracted with tribal sentiments. That's our problem. Nigerians for example are distracted. If we rise up as one to demand accountability in all fronts, that will be the beginning of greatness.

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:39pm On Jul 21, 2017
Joebie:
That's not a solution to countries who choose not to move forward. There are 52 countries in Africa for God sake. At least 10 are capable of rotating as hosts of AFCON if the others choose to remain behind.. Nigeria should have at least 8 standard stadia only if we have a good maintenance culture.. so the problem is really a self-inflicting one.. We ship our entertainment jobs abroad.. we patronize everything abroad. now our only beloved sports some are asking we ship away. We cannot hide behind globalization to conceal our backwardness.

How about we go back to the real issues and get serious about demanding our leaders do their jobs..

My suggestion is not solely based on hosting but participation. Those Gulf countries have money and the glitz and glamour the AFCON will have with their participation will increase sponsorship and TV money.
We have to get real. Having Djibouti and Swaziland play against themselves in an AFCON game in Angola is not attractive enough for good sponsorship.

By the way, you do realise that hosting is beyond just having stadia. You have to think about logistics, transportation, accommodation, electricity,
Some journalists who covered the last 2 AFCONs complained of lacking decent accommodation. And we are talking about just a 16 team championship, what will happen when it is stretched to 24?

Thia could be a bit out of line but I recall Nigeria withdrew their bid to host the world cup in 2010 because of lacking infrastructure to host the tournament. For instance, for a city to qualify as a host city for the World Cup she must have at least 15k hotel rooms. Ask yourself, which city throughout the length and breth of Nigeria can boost of having decent 15k hotel rooms?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:44pm On Jul 21, 2017
Joebie:
They have just succeeded in doing just that for the age-grade tournaments.

Say what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 4:48pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

My suggestion is not solely based on hosting but participation. Those Gulf countries have money and the glitz and glamour the AFCON will have with their participation will increase sponsorship and TV money.
We have to get real. Having Djibouti and Swaziland play against themselves in an AFCON game in Angola is not attractive enough for good sponsorship.

By the way, you do realise that hosting is beyond just having stadia. You have to think about logistics, transportation, accommodation, electricity,
Some journalists who covered the last 2 AFCONs complained of lacking decent accommodation. And we are talking about just a 16 team championship, what will happen when it is stretched to 24?

Thia could be a bit out of line but I recall Nigeria withdrew their bid to host the world cup in 2010 because of lacking infrastructure to host the tournament. For instance, for a city to qualify as a host city for the World Cup she must have at least 15k hotel rooms. Ask yourself, which city throughout the length and breth of Nigeria can boost of having decent 15k hotel rooms?

my take Africa is not ripe for 24 nation touna

with 16 most countries cant afford 4 stadium

is it in 24 that they will afford 6 stadium?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
you didn't get the general gist of my comment. In all i'm saying Nigeria and some other African countries are capable. But this discussion can easily digress into politics -- bad leadership. Let's get back to the basics, than wanting to be tag teams with countries who are enjoying the result of better leadership.

We can enjoy EPL as much as we want. We can celebrate SE as much as we want, but the problems of this country will keep coming back to bite us -- bad leadership.

goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:25pm On Jul 21, 2017
goldfish80:

Time is transient. Everything evolves with time. Before they played NBA games in London, they first played exhibition games to test waters just like they did in South Africa. Be rest assured in a couple of years sole real life NBA action will be played in Sun City.

It's not sustainable to continue with the derisory pittance Caf generates and shares to member countries. Not with the massive investment of resources being witnessed in European football and CHINA! (I stressed China because they will the world cup before any African team, you can take it to the bank).

We don't stand any chance beating these guys to the world title. Not with the money and infrastructure they have. That is the hard truth.

Either we find ways of generating more money or status quo remains. As simple as that.

U are missing the point. The NBA and NFL are doing these countries a service. This has nothing to do with what u are saying, this is a traditional practice in America. Even the Harlem Globetrotters did exhibitions outside America back in the day. MLB just played in Cuba not too long ago. They are not doing this for lack of stadiums or funds.

China can't win the AFCON right now not to talk of WC. Africa will soon be there very soon. We have the players to compete at the highest level.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:44pm On Jul 21, 2017
Joebie:
He wasn't impressive while on loan to Middlesbrough. However, a thought-provoking write up. I believe Omeruo will reach his full potential.

When will he reach that full potential when he is 30

He has had a lot of opportunities but it's not by mistake he finds himself in an obscure team in Turkey. What is worrying is that he represents the Creme De La Creme, of our defence for the SE.

He is far from World class and he is nowhere near top class but he's the about the best class we have. A nation of 180 million people and we are struggling to produce top players. Wahala deh Oh !!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (1215) (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) (1220) (1221) ... (16117) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bennie1980(m), ThanosKilla(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.