Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,767 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11568466 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (16112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:16pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Watford Director: Chelsea, Arsenal can have Ighalo

Biyi Akangbe
[/size]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3660980_odionighalo_jpeg2e9b28d301b57f223548d5bb2ee5168b
Watford sporting director Nicola Salerno concedes that the future of striker Odion Ighalo will depend on what offers are made for the Nigeria international in the summer transfer window.

Ighalo has enjoyed a superb Premier League campaign with the Hornets and as a result has seen links with a number of clubs spring up. Both Arsenal and Chelsea have been mooted as keen on the 26-year-old, while Manchester United have also been claimed to be interested in scooping him up.

Salerno feels Ighalo has shown his quality this season and he believes he could make the difference for a number of sides. But any decision on whether Ighalo is sold will come down to the value of the offers on the table for the striker.

The Watford sporting director, who thinks the hitman has been extraordinary, told TMW Radio:"Everything will depend on the offers. This year he did very well, scoring a lot.

"Unfortunately in the second half of the season we had a dip, but he was decisive", Salerno continued.

"I saw huge growth in the player, he knows how to score in every way.

"He's an extraordinary footballer and many teams could be interested."

The Nigerian has hit the back of the net on 17 occasions so far this season, including a haul of 15 in the Premier League as the Hornets have kept well clear of any relegation worries.

Ighalo is locked down on a contract with Watford until the summer of 2020 and the Hornets will no doubt be keen to ask top dollar from any interested parties.
http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/04/watford-director-chelsea-arsenal-can.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
NFF should plead with Enyeama – Taribo
[/size]

Vincent Enyeama

Former Nigeria defender, Taribo West, has called for the return of goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama to the Super Eagles.

The 33-year-old Lille keeper retired from the national team following a disagreement with former Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh.

Enyeama was during the week ranked the sixth best goalkeeper in the world by football statistics body, CIES Observatory.

The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner was also nominated for the Best Goalkeeper award in Ligue 1.

Taribo condemned the circumstances leading to Enyeama’s retirement from the Eagles, saying the Nigeria Football Federation should plead with him to return to the national team.

“Nigeria is a country where heroes are not appreciated and it is painful,” the former Inter Milan player told our correspondent during the week.

“Nigerians should beg Enyeama to return to the Eagles and let him retire properly. He is the country’s most capped football player. It is evident that he still has a lot to offer the country.

“The Eagles currently lack that leader figure among them and it is evident in the way they are playing. The young players need to learn a lot from Enyeama. The awards and rankings he got this week have shown that he still very good.

“Also, apart from Joseph Yobo, who is planning a testimonial for himself with some corporate bodies, no ex-international has been properly retired and they are all bitter towards the system.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Is NFF Really Serious About Indigenous Coaches
[/size]

Chibuike Chukwu

LAGOS – The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) recently appointed the trio of Salisu Yusuf, Rangers’ Imama Amapakabo and Abia Warriors’ Kennedy Boboye to coach the Super Eagles for the two international friendly matches against Mali and Luxembourg. The matches come up on May 27 and June 2 respectively.

The appointment became necessary following the vacant position at the senior national team after the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

Since the failure of the Super Eagles to qualify for the Nations Cup after Nigeria’s victory in 2013, the national team has had to make do with four different indigenous coaches, with Stephen Keshi included.

On paper, the various appointments might not have checked the steady decline of the Super Eagles, whose fortunes have nose-dived repeatedly, and subsequently failing to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, the second time in a row after a 0-1 loss to Egypt last month.

The issue of indigenous coaches managing the Eagles has been repeatedly discussed, with not a few Nigerians believing that local coaches have not lived up to expectation. On the face value, it is understandably so, but the NFF might not have been fair to them.

Out of the 36 coaches the Super Eagles has had since 1949 till date, only 14 are indigenous one, even though some of them have had more than two opportunities to handle the team.

From the record, the Super Eagles has fared better under foreign coaches. Foreign coaches have won two out of the three times the team has won the Africa Cup of Nations. Though, it might be argues that Nigerian coaches have not had the kind of privileges accorded the foreign managers.

Conversely, expatriate coaches are highly respected, even though most of them are more interested in the business aspect of their contract and what gets to them, at the expense of developing talents for the national team. They are usually chauffeur-driven and lodged in a very cozy hotel, while state-of-the-art cars are provided to them.

For instance, while it was reported earlier this month that the football house plans to pay a foreign coach a whooping N9.75million, Stephen Keshi and Sunday Oliseh were paid N5million a month each.

It will also be recalled that the last foreign coach that handle the Super Eagles, Swedish Lars Lagerback, was paid a whopping N39million ($200, 000) for managing the Eagles for four months with a first round knockout at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa as the result of such expenses.

The amount meant N9.7million monthly was paid to the Swedish. Incidentally, this happened six years ago! But Nigerian coaches, even coupled with their poor remuneration, are owed backlog of salaries and other entitlements due to them. Expatriate coaches, on the other hand, are known to dump the national team if such situation is perceived.

According to Joe Erico, former Super Eagles assistant coach, some of the indigenous coaches appointed to handle the team were, in most cases, also engaged without formal contractual agreements. The consequence is that such coaches are fired with little or no considerations.

Erico went on to say that the lack of confidence of the NFF on local coaches has not helped the course of Nigerian managers, leading to them working under threat and uncertainties.

“Some of the coaches you see are merely working without written documents listing their contractual agreements. That is why they are fired at the slightest case and it equally makes them to work under tension.”

Bu John Obuh, former national U-20 and Kwara United coach, said local coaches can do better and be trusted if they were supported, urging Nigerians and the NFF to rally behind the Yusuf-led technical crew.

“It is a very good omen for Nigeria football (talking of the appointment of the interim coaches). We should not forget that Imama is topping the league and Boboye is coming from behind, they are all doing well.

“As long as they have a good coordination from Amodu Shuaibu which I believe they will get, I am very impressed they will succeed. Local coaches need the support of all to succeed.”

But Adegboye Onigbinde, former Eagles coach, said poor performance was not the function of the indigenous coaches handling the team; he blames the football house for not having confidence on the the home-grown managers.

Onigbinde said the challenges facing indigenous coaches were not that they don’t have the technical know-how, but that the NFF was not helping them to develop.

“The problem of local coaches is not technical but administrative; the NFF is not helping the coaches to develop. Ghana FA has produced about 200 coaches and Egyptian FA has produced about 400, but in Nigeria, we can boast of only about 50 for the national team.

“But I don’t even blame the NFF because you cannot help what you do not trust. They don’t believe in the local coaches, but that is wrong,” he said.

Onigbinde went further to say that the lack of trust in the local coaches has resulted to the incessant sacks they face, even when the results were there to see.

Speaking in the same vein, ex-international, Dele Bob-Manuel said NFF has never entrusted the national team to an indigenous coach. He, however, admonished the NFF to do so, insisting that no foreign coach can lead the team better than local trainers.

“I believe very strongly in the ability of the local coaches because they are more familiar with our boys and the environment more than those expatriates. More so, apart from handling the team as their jobs, they will have passion for the growth of the game in Nigeria.

“This is one area the NFF might not have understood and that is why they don’t believe so much in the local coaches. Let me ask, what is a foreign coach is coming to do?”

But there is a huge doubt on the loyalty of the foreign professionals to the local coaches. It has been revealed in some cases that Nigeria’s top professionals look at the local coaches with disdain.

But another ex-international, Mutiu Adepoju, said much as he would not doubt that such characters exist, the attitude of the coach will go a long way in given him respect from the players.

“To me, it is not about where the coach comes from. Once you come and you know how to manage the players, they will respect you. You know very well that some coaches come with divisive attitude and such will bring disunity in the team,” he said.

Mutiu, however, agreed that if an indigenous coach is hired, he should be given a mandate and be supported to either achieve the mandate or fail.

“If a local coach is hired, he should be told what is expected of him. Then the NFF will be ready to provide the necessary support for him to achieve that within a specified time. If he fails within that time, we can then say he has failed.

“These players are already professional footballers and just need a father-figure to bring out the best in them,” he said.
- See more at: http://independentnig.com/is-nff-really-serious-about-indigenous-coaches/#sthash.bPcz0Oqa.dpuf
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:22pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles coach to understudy Guardiola at Manchester City
[/size]

Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf (left) with coach Chuks Akuneto of FC Manchester in England

by Samm Audu

Super Eagles interim coach Salisu Yusuf has told AfricanFootball.com he plans to return overseas to understudy new Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola by the new English Premier League season.

Yusuf was recently at Scottish club Hearts to understudy their workings.

“I hope to understudy Pep (Guardiola) by the time he resumes at Manchester City. I was scheduled to do that when I finished at Hearts in Scotland, but I shifted it because I wanted to attend the CAF A license in Abuja,” the coach told AfricanFootball.com

“My visit to Scotland was eye-opening and it showed to me again why cubs in Europe are very prepared because they have experts for all aspects of their preparations – from fitness conditioning to dieting.”

Guardiola will replace Manuel Pellegrini at The Etihad for the new season when Yusuf then hopes to visit.

Former Kano Pillars and Enyimba coach Yusuf, who has assisted Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia, will lead Nigeria for two friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in the new month.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626680/Eagles-coach-to-understudy-Guardiola-at-Manchester-City
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:35pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria to try to convince Sheyi Ojo, others to play for Eagles
Biyi Akangbe
[/size]

A top official of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has hinted that the Football House has set its sight on getting the trio of Dominic Solanke (Chelsea), Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool) and Ademola Lookman (Charlton Athletic) play for the Super Eagles.

The three players are all 18 years old and all but Lookman have represented England at under age levels and a source in the NFF told Nation Sport that some persons in the Glasshouse depending on the availability of funds will soon be embarking on tour of some England and Holland to woo eligible Nigerians to represent their place of origin.

The source specifically disclosed that after the success story of Alex Iwobi who now plays for the Eagles after the intervention of the NFF, the mentioned trio alongside Chuba Akpom(Arsenal) and a 12-year-old Lateef Omidiji Jr (FC Dordrecht U-14) who is said could spark a bidding war between Nigeria and the USA are all closely being monitored.

Nation Sport gathered that the NFF scouts will strive to make these players commit their allegiance to Nigeria and not follow the trend some of their compatriots took in the past only to be used and dumped by their preferred foreign countries.

Ojo is now an established Liverpool winger and Solanke is also being closely monitored by Chelsea in Vitesse Arnhem (Holland) where is presently on loan after he emerged as Chelsea Youth Player of the Year in 2015 while Lookman is also trying his best as a striker with Charlton Athletic and he is rumoured to be on the radar of Arsenal FC.
http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/04/nigeria-to-try-to-convince-sheyi-ojo.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oshaniwa targets historic win over Celtic today
[/size]

Oshaniwa

Hearts left back Juwon Oshaniwa has told AfricanFootball.com that his target against Efe Ambrose’s Celtic today is to help his club record their first win over the Scottish champions in four years.

After 34 rounds of matches, Celtic remain top of the standings with 77 points, 17 points clear of third-placed Hearts.

Former FC Ashdod of Israel defender Oshaniwa said he expected a tough contest against Celtic, who will retain their league championship today should they win at Hearts.

"I am expecting a tough and good game against Celtic,” Oshaniwa told AfricanFootball.com

"I am looking forward to an historic victory for us."

Vitesse Arnhem loanee Abiola Dauda will also be on parade for Hearts, who have already secured a place in next season’s UEFA Europa League on their return to the Scottish top flight.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/626678/Oshaniwa-targets-historic-win-over-Celtic-today
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:45am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
West Ham target Fanendo Adi is MLS leading scorer
[/size]

Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi, who has been linked with English Premier League club West Ham, is the joint leading scorer in the nine-week-old Major League Soccer (MLS) after he powered home his seventh goal of the season in Portland Timbers 2-1 win over FC Toronto.

The big, power-playing striker is now on same goals’ tally with Chris Wondolowski of San Jose Earthquakes.

Adi, who has previously featured in Denmark, Slovakia and Ukraine, scored in the 18th minute on Sunday to give his team a 1-0 lead.

Last season, he scored 18 goals to help Portland Timbers clinch an historic MLS championship.

His goals earned him a call-up by Nigeria for the recent AFCON qualifiers against Egypt, but he has yet to make his international debut.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626904/West-Ham-target-Fanendo-Adi-is-MLS-leading-scorer
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:56am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Jude Nworuh Thanks Super Eagles GK Aiyenugba, Family After Ending Goal Drought
[/size]

Bnei Yehuda striker Jude Nworuh admitted that he was relieved to end his goal drought in his side’s 1-0 victory over Maccabi Netanya in the Israeli Premier League on Sunday.

The 26-year-old had not hit target in the league since January 16 when he scored against today’s opponents in the regular season, a scoreless streak that had stretched to more than three months.

“I don’t think I was under pressure. I will take it game after game and with the other two games to go anything can still happen and I believe I can score more before the season is finished,”says Nworuh to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“I have been playing a different role compared from the start when I came here and with another coach playing me more as a winger compared to the former coach who used to play me as a striker.

“But in all I give God the glory and also congratulate my team mates for the effort this season.”

Nworuh received immense support from his immediate family and Nigeria glovesman Dele Aiyenugba when the going was tough and has thanked them for their encouragement.

“First I will say big a thank you to God who made it possible for my goal today and I dedicated the goal to my beautiful wife Mireille and my child Amarachi Nworuh because they have been there for me and made me to believe and kept pushing me and also to our goal keeper Dele,” he added.

The former AC Horsens star has netted six goals in total in the top-flight this term from 19 games.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18875
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:56am On May 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
Adi salutes strike partner after seventh MLS goal
[/size]

Fanendo Adi

Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi has praised his Portland Timbers strike partner Diego Valeri for the assist from which he scored the opening goal in a 2-1 win over FC Toronto.

It was Adi’s seventh goal this season and he is now joint leading scorer in the MLS.

“He makes things very easy for me. I told him after the game that he could have scored that first goal and he told me that I opened up very well, so he passed it to me. He’s an amazing guy and we respect everything he does out there," Adi disclosed.

Last season, the 25-year-old Nigerian striker fired 18 goals to help Portland Timbers clinch the MLS championship.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626925/Adi-salutes-strike-partner-after-seventh-MLS-goal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:06am On May 02, 2016
justiz5:
[size=14pt]
Adi salutes strike partner after seventh MLS goal
[/size]

Fanendo Adi

Nigerian striker Fanendo Adi has praised his Portland Timbers strike partner Diego Valeri for the assist from which he scored the opening goal in a 2-1 win over FC Toronto.

It was Adi’s seventh goal this season and he is now joint leading scorer in the MLS.

“He makes things very easy for me. I told him after the game that he could have scored that first goal and he told me that I opened up very well, so he passed it to me. He’s an amazing guy and we respect everything he does out there," Adi disclosed.

Last season, the 25-year-old Nigerian striker fired 18 goals to help Portland Timbers clinch the MLS championship.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626925/Adi-salutes-strike-partner-after-seventh-MLS-goal

From the look of things, its obvious this guy may not get a look in by the national team handlers, not because he doesn't have the quality but because of the array of youngsters that are coming up both home and abroad.

The choice of Fanendo Adi must have been imposed on the last Coaching crew that managed the two Afcon qualifying matches against Egypt. My suspicion though.

Also, that only Stephen Keshi respected MLS.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:18am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mikel rejects Turkish deals to stay with Chelsea
[/size]

Mikel training with Chelsea players

Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel has reportedly rejected two massive deals from a pair of Turkish clubs to remain with Chelsea.

The Super Eagles player has enjoyed a revival in his career under caretaker manager Guus Hiddink, re-establishing himself as a regular since the departure of Jose Mourinho from Stamford Bridge.

According to the Sun, Galatasaray were willing to offer Mikel wages of £110,000-per-week to leave the Blues in January.

It is understood that Fenerbahce were also tabling such money and both could go back in for him when the transfer window reopens in the European summer.

However, the Nigerian wants to remain with Chelsea and is eager to renew his contract with the club. His current deal in West London expires at the end of next season.

It is not yet known whether Mikel will figure in the plans of incoming coach Antonio Conte.
http://africanfootball.com//news/626934/Mikel-rejects-Turkish-deals-to-stay-with-Chelsea
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:18am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria football needs help – Akpoborie
[/size]

The recently signed partnership between the NPFL and La Liga has received positive reviews and endorsement by several football stakeholders but according to former Nigeria International, Jonathan Akpoborie, it goes to show that Nigeria football all round needs helps.

The former player , who has been a staunch advocate for a foreign coach for the senior men’s national team, compared Nigeria’s inconsistencies in performance and quality overall to England’s Three Lions struggle in international events.

The former Wolfsburg striker believes football teams that have challenges should reach out to top performing professionals for solutions.

In an interview with footballlive.ng, Akpoborie also pointed out that though the deal with the Spanish top division was commendable, the parties involved should equally ensure to make the details of the agreement public.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/nigeria-football-needs-help-akpoborie/
[/b]
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles: Its a disservice to hire an indigenous Coach – Akpoborie
[/size]

Pix: Former Nigeria International, Jonathan Akpoborie.

The quality of Nigerian coaches is not commensurate and is lower than those of the country’s foreign based players and thus means they can’t be given charge of the Super Eagles former international, Jonathan Akpoborie has told footballlive.ng.

The former striker argued for the appointment of a foreign coach and insists the difference between the indigenous and foreign coaches is enormous.

He suggested that the NFF will be doing a great disservice to the players and Super Eagles if they hired a indigenous handler as substantive coach of the three time African Champions.

Akpoborie , who played in the Bundesliga with VfB Stuttgart and VfL Wolfsburg, had 13 international caps for the Super Eagles.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/super-eagles-its-a-disservice-to-hire-an-indigenous-coach-akpoborie/
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:20am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho confident City will respond in Madrid
[/size]

Kelechi Iheanacho was not overly impressed with the outcome of Manchester City’s preparation for the UEFA Champions League second leg semi final match against Real Madrid despite bagging a brace.

City lost 4-2 to Southampton at Saint Mary’s on Sunday, the 19-year-old’s individual effort ; which produced two goals, could not save Manuel Pellegrini from their 10th league defeat this term – the worst record in 7 seasons.

The Nigeria International said that:

“This game didn’t give us enough encouragement. But we will put it behind us and focus on the Real Madrid game.

“Many things went wrong in our team. We lost so many balls and didn’t defend well.

“I think we’re going to come stronger in the next game.”

The Academy graduate was introduced 40 minutes into the first half at the Etihad Stadium after David Silva picked up an injury.
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/iheanacho-confident-city-will-respond-in-madrid/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:25am On May 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Baba Rahman: Chelsea Vs Tottenham Is Like Nigeria Vs Ghana
[/size]

Chelsea defender Baba Rahman has likened the London derbies to that of Ghana and Nigeria.

Rahman made the submission in a chat with chelseafc.com ahead of Monday's London derby against Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.

A win or a draw for Chelsea against Spurs tonight will hand Leicester City their first ever English Premier League title.

According to Rahman, the will to win between Ghana and Nigeria always make their encounters a feisty one.

"Ghana’s main rival is Nigeria – we are almost the same, we have a lot of similarities and share a lot of things. When we play against each other it’s always a tough game, and all of us really want to win it. Obi knows it too!," The Ghanaian. Star said.

The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finalist went on to recollect his past experiences in the London derbies.

"I was on the bench at Tottenham and also at Arsenal and I saw the atmosphere. They were both very good.

"We know what it means to the fans and to the club as well. We expect a good atmosphere and very good support from the fans, as they do always."

He however disclosed that his experience of a derby clash was when he was in Germany with Greuther Furth.

"For Greuther Furth I played against Nuremberg a couple of times. The second time was my last game for Furth and I scored two goals. It was the perfect way to say goodbye."

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/baba-rahman-chelsea-vs-tottenham-like-nigeria-vs-ghana/#qBQxdERLXt5rwgsL.99
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:06am On May 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Sponsor 'develops cold feet' over Nigeria foreign coach
[/size]

by Samm Audu

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal today that Nigeria may be forced to settle for a local coach for the Super Eagles next month after a proposed company to foot the bills of an expatriate handler “developed cold feet”.

We have specially gathered that the recent leadership tussle in Nigerian football may have thrown the oil company off forking out close to $2 million spread over two years for the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to hire a top-rated foreign coach.

“The oil company was ready to give the NFF close to $100,000 a month to take care of a top foreign coach and his assistants, but since the latest round of instability in the Nigerian football polity, the company has developed cold feet,” a top source informed only AfricanFootball.com

“The NFF on their own do not have the cash to pay for such a coach and the government through the sports minister has made it very clear it will not pay for a foreign coach.

“That could well have informed the NFF recent announcement that the vacant Super Eagles top post will be taken up by the best candidate whether he is local or foreign.”

Sunday Oliseh quit the post in February for Samson Siasia to take temporary charge of the Eagles for the AFCON 2017 qualifiers against Egypt in March.

Former Kano Pillars and Enyimba coach Salisu Yusuf will be in interim charge for two friendlies against Mali on May 27 and Luxembourg on June 1.

The NFF have disclosed a new Eagles coach will be named next month after shortlisted candidates are be interviewed.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626949/Sponsor-develops-cold-feet-over-Nigeria-foreign-coach
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:14am On May 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Aaron Samuel's goal fails to win CSKA Russia Cup
[/size]

Aaron Samuel (left) in action

by Samm Audu

CSKA Moscow’s dream of a league and cup double this season was dashed after they lost 4-1 to Zenit St.Petersburg in the Russia cup final as Nigeria striker Aaron Samuel’s goal was not enough for the army club.

Samuel, who is on loan from his Chinese club, drew CSKA level after 36 minutes after Brazil striker Hulk put Zenit in front from the penalty spot on 34 minutes.

Aleksandr Kokorin restored Zenit lead in the 56th minute.

CSKA were then reduced to 10 men when Vasili Berezutski was sent off for a professional foul in the 63rd minute after which Zenit scored twice again to clinch the cup competition.

CSKA, who also parade Nigeria winger Ahmed Musa, still top the league standings with 53 points from 26 matches, two points ahead of Rostov.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626986/Aaron-Samuels-goal-fails-to-win-CSKA-Russia-Cup
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:14am On May 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Uche Kalu, Ozokwo rule Turkey
[/size]

Uche Kalu, Nduka Ozokwo display Turkey second division championship

Nigerians Uche Kalu and Nduka Ozokwo have won the Turkish second-tier league title with Adanaspor.

Despite losing 2-0 at home to Alanyaspor at the weekend and with two rounds of games to end the season, Adanaspor were crowned champions with 65 points from 32 games, eight points more than second-placed Alanyaspor.

Former Rizespor forward Kalu, who missed the trophy in the 2012/2013 season with Rizespor, was delighted to be champion this time.

"Thank you lord....champions #Adanaspor...with my family❤❤❤," he wrote on his Facebook page.

He scored five goals in 14 games this season, while his compatriot Nduka Ozokwo scored six goals in 30 games.

They will now play in Turkish Super League next season.
http://africanfootball.com/news/626996/Uche-Kalu-Ozokwo-rule-Turkey
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:17am On May 03, 2016
[size=14pt]
Orok and Uche Agba champions of Bahrain
[/size]

Nigerian party - Akarandut (left), Omosuiyi, Agba flying the flag high in Bahrain

Nigeria’s Akarandut Orok, Uche Agba and Ifedayo Omosuyi are the champions of Bahrain for 2016 with Al Hodd.

The one-time all-time top scorer in the Nigeria league Orok told AfricanFootball.com he is on top of the world to emerge as champion for the first time in his career.

"I feel on top of the world winning the league for the very first time in my professional career with any team,” he said.

"I dedicate this victory to God Almighty who made it possible for me."
http://africanfootball.com/news/626990/Orok-and-Uche-Agba-champions-of-Bahrain

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:28am On May 03, 2016
[size=14pt]
Portland Timbers DP Adi In Five-Man Shortlist For MLS Etihad Airways Player Of The Month
[/size]

Portland Timbers striker Fanendo Adi has been nominated for Major League Soccer’s Etihad Airways Player of the Month for April.

The in-form Nigerian frontman has been shortlisted for the award alongside Giovani Dos Santos (LA Galaxy),Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids) and Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).

Fanendo Adi was outstanding in the month of April, featuring in all the six matches contested by Portland Timbers in the American topflight and netted four times while providing one assist.

His 17th minute goal against Toronto was his 32nd in the colours of Portland Timbers and the quickest scored by a player of the club in the 2016 campaign.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18892

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:28am On May 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Exports: Ofere Fails To Save Dundee Utd; Chelsea Loanee Omeruo Returns; Ujah Turns Super-Sub; Umar, Uche, Lawal Benched
[/size]

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigeria descent in Europe on Monday.

John Obi Mikel and Chelsea assisted Leicester City win their first Premier League title after drawing 2-2 with Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge.

The Super Eagles skipper featured for 90 minutes, Dele Alli was suspended for the tie while Josh Onomah did not make Spurs’ 18-man squad. Mikel picked up a late caution.

Sadiq Umar watched proceedings from the bench in Roma’s 3-2 win at Genoa in the Italian Serie A. The teenage striker has not played for the first team since January 24.

In Spain, out-of-favour Nigeria international Ikechukwu Uche was an unused substitute in Malaga’s 3-1 win against Levante.

Elsewhere, in the Germany Bundesliga, Anthony Ujah was named on the bench for the fourth game in a row in all competitions in Werder Bremen’s 6-2 hammering of VfB Stuttgart. The Nigeria international played the last seven minutes of the encounter and closed scoring in the 86th minute.

One division lower, Seyi Olajengbesi played the entirety of Sandhausen’s 3-0 loss at Karlsruher SC .

In Scotland, Dundee United have been relegated to the Championship following their 2-1 loss to city rivals Dundee FC. Edward Ofere had put The Tangerines in front in the 54th minute and played the full game.

Super Eagles midfielder Izunna Uzochukwu played the entirety of OB Odense’s 2-0 win against Esbjerg fB at Blue Water Arena in the Danish Superliga.

Across the border in Norway, Onyekachi Ugwuadu was one of the four unused subs for Sarpsborg 08 in their 2-0 victory at Bodoe/Glimt. He has a paltry 16 minutes of game time so far this season.

Dickson Etuhu was not involved in AIK’s goalless draw with Moses Ogbu’s Joenkoepings Soedra in the Swedish Allsvenskan. The striker came on in the 65th minute.

Still in Sweden, Michael Omoh started and played for 90 minutes as Oestersunds FK were beaten 3-0 by Djurgaarden at the Tele2 Arena. Ex-Flying Eagle Alhaji Gero was introduced in the 46th minute.

Kenneth Omeruo returned to the starting line-up of Kasimpasa and worked a ninety-minute shift in their 1-1 draw at home to Osmanlispor FK in the Turkish Super Lig.

Aminu Umar started and played 90 minutes for the visitors while Raheem Lawal was an unused sub.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18890
[/b]
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles Striker Aaron Samuel To Undergo Scan After Picking Up Knee Injury In Russian Cup Final
[/size]

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel is doubtful for his team’s Russian Premier League clash against Terek Grozny this coming Saturday after picking up a knee injury in the 4-1 loss to Zenit St. Petersburg in the Cup final on Monday.

The Nigeria international had equalized for the Muscovites in the 36th minute but had to be replaced three minutes later after he landed awkwardly.

“Tomorrow I will do a scan. I was injured around the 39th minute, I injured my knee after I landed awkwardly,”Aaron Samuel told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“The CSKA Moscow doctor has said that I will have to do a scan to know how long I will be out of action. I can’t walk now.”

CSKA Moscow conceded three goals in the second half and Samuel has revealed that the dismissal of Vasili Berezutski in the 63rd minute contributed to their loss.

“The game was good in the first half, we were doing well until Zenit scored from a penalty. We mounted pressure, then the equalizer came from me.

“We lost focus in the second half and got a red card, that is why we lost, ” Samuel added.

CSKA Moscow have won the Russian Cup 12 times since the formation of the club, with their last triumph coming in 2013.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18888
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:32am On May 03, 2016
NLban:

From the look of things, its obvious this guy may not get a look in by the national team handlers, not because he doesn't have the quality but because of the array of youngsters that are coming up both home and abroad.

The choice of Fanendo Adi must have been imposed on the last Coaching crew that managed the two Afcon qualifying matches against Egypt. My suspicion though.

Also, that only Stephen Keshi respected MLS.
That's not true. Besides, your post lacks facts

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:23am On May 04, 2016
justiz5:

That's not true. Besides, your post lacks facts
What makes you think my post lack facts? How can an Aminu Umar be rated above Fanen Adi? and how on earth should he be rated above Adi in the first place? or have we stopped working with stats?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:49am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arokoyo relishes reunion with ex-Flying Eagles mate Omeruo
[/size]

Gbenga Orokoyo in his flying eagles days...

Gazientepspor of Turkey defender Gbenga Arokoyo has spoken of his delight to reunite with former U20 teammate Kenneth Omeruo in the Super Eagles.

Arokoyo and Omeruo were two of the 26 players called up by Nigeria interim coach Salisu Yusuf for two friendly matches against Mali and Luxembourg in France and Luxembourg respectively, making it the first time both players will be in the Nigeria set-up since 2011, when they both played for the U20’s.

“Of course we have played together before in the U20’s and he's a very good player. I really look forward to our reunion in the Super Eagles,” Arokoyo told AfricanFootball.com

Incidentally, both central defenders play in the Turkish top-flight league - Omeruo is with Kasimpasa on loan from Chelsea, while Arokoyo features for Gazientepspor, who he joined from Swedish club Mjallby in 2014.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/626804/Arokoyo-relishes-reunion-with-ex-Flying-Eagles-mate-Omeruo
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:49am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leon Balogun ban reduced, fined 10,000 Euros
[/size]

Eagles Defender Leon Balogun

Nigeria international Leon Balogun has had his three-match ban reduced to two and he will now pay a fine of 10,000 Euros for violent conduct during a Bundesliga game which was not captured by the referee.

The sports court of the German Football Association on Tuesday after an oral hearing of a sport misconduct in the form of an assault against the opponent in a lighter case to a previously committed against him sports improper act by a suspension of two championship games convicted and fined in the amount of 10,000 Euros.

The panel had previously imposed a three-match ban on Balogun.

Balogun and Carlos Zambrano, who was called as a witness to the proceedings, convinced the court there was no serious harm on account of the confrontation and as such classified the incident as a lighter case of assault by careless behaviour on the part of Balogun.

Referee Felix Zwayer did not spot the incident during the game and that was why the DFB committee sat on the matter.

Balogun’s club Mainz 05 have agreed to this ruling.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627086/Leon-Balogun-ban-reduced-fined-10000-Euros
[/b]
[b][size=14pt]
5 Ighalo goals picked for 'Goal of the Season'
[/size]

Watford's Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo

Odion Ighalo has seen five of his 14 Premier League goals nominated for the Watford 'Goal of the Season'.

His goals against Everton, Newcastle United, West Ham United, Norwich City and Liverpool have all been put alongside some goals scored by his teammates during the course of the season.

The 26-year old has had an impressive debut season in the Premier League, with his 14 goals making him the Hornets leading goal scorer so far.

It followed his impressive campaign in the English Championship last season, where he scored 20 goals to help propel them back to the Premier League.

However, he has hit a lean spell in front of goal in recent games, as he is yet to score in his last 11 Premier League games.

Meanwhile, the former Granada of Spain striker is also expected to have a busy summer as he has been included in Nigeria’s provisional list as one of the over-aged players to the Olympic Games.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627099/5-Ighalo-goals-picked-for-Goal-of-the-Season
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:51am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ujah steers Werder Bremen away from relegation zone
[/size]

Werber Bremen striker Uja (left)

Nigeria striker Anthony Ujah scored his 11th Bundesliga goal this season for Werder Bremen to move away from the drop zone on the back of a 6-2 win over fellow strugglers Stuttgart.

The win put Bremen 15th on the table on 34 points, just a point above the drop zone, which has already demoted Hannover, Stuttgart and Eintracht Frankfurt.

Stuttgart and Frankfurt are on 33 points with two rounds of matches to the end of the season.

Bremen's remaining games of the campaign are away to Cologne on Saturday and then a home game against fellow relegation battlers Frankfurt on May 14.

Ujah started the game from the bench but was introduced in the 83rd minute in place of Claudio Pizzaro, and scored Bremen’s sixth goal barely three minutes after coming on.

The 25-year old has been a regular starter for the club, and had a fairly decent start to the season, scoring five goals in the first 11 Bundesliga games, but hit a rough patch shortly afterwards, scoring only three goals in the subsequent 11 games, as Bremen struggled to stay afloat.

However, he scored three goals in five DFB Pokal games, making it 14 goals in 35 appearances in all competitions.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627058/Ujah-steers-Werder-Bremen-away-from-relegation-zone
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 9:58am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Leicester revive interest in Musa
[/size]

Musa scores again in Russia

Leicester City have revived their interest in Nigerian attacker Ahmed Musa, according to the Daily Mail.

The newly-crowned Premier League champions were keen on signing Musa back in the January transfer window, but felt that CSKA Moscow’s asking price of £20million was too high.

With the league championship safely secured – and the prospect of Champions League football looming large – Leicester are already looking at targets to boost their squad.

Manager Claudio Ranieri is said to rate Musa highly, with the Nigerian’s versatility and goal-scoring prowess two attributes that make him sought after.

The Foxes have sent scouts to watch Musa playing for CSKA in recent times and to keep up with his performances in the Russian Premier League.

Musa, 23, has scored 11 goals in 26 appearances for CSKA, who have a two-point lead at the top of the log with four rounds of fixtures remaining.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627062/Leicester-revive-interest-in-Musa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:04am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Top stars may opt out of Eagles friendlies
[/size]

Eagles striker Aaron Samuel

by Samm Audu

There are very strong indications that several top stars may opt out of Super Eagles friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg later this month, AfricanFootball.com has scooped again.

A top official informed AfricanFootball.com some players have already contacted the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) they wish to withdraw from the matches, which are now aimed at preparing the country for the 2018 World Cup qualifiers starting in October.

“Some of the players want to stay out of the matches after a long and tiring season, while some say they want to be part of the Joseph Yobo Testimonial, which will be played same day as the Mali game in Paris,” a source told AfricanFootball.com

“Later this week a clearer picture of those fully committed to the friendlies we will get, but it is most likely some replacements will be named.”

Already, CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel, who was one of the 26 players called up for the Eagles games, is a major injury doubt after he was injured his knee in the Russia Cup final on Sunday.

West Ham striker Emmanuel Emenike has also berated the NFF for fixing the Mali match same day as Yobo’s farewell game in Port Harcourt, saying that will deny some of his friends in the Eagles from attending.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627013/Top-stars-may-opt-out-of-Eagles-friendlies
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:04am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iheanacho wants 200,000 pounds-a-week, 5-year Manchester City contract
[/size]

Iheanacho - Wants hugely improved contract at Manchester City

by Samm Audu

The agents of Kelechi Iheanacho have demanded a bumper new Manchester City contract that will pay the Nigeria starlet a mind-blowing 200,000 pounds-a-week over five years, AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal today.

“He has deserved his keep at City as he is now one of the most effective forwards in the whole of Europe when you put his game time against the number of his goals,” a top source argued.

The 19-year-old Nigeria international has netted 13 goals in all competitions this season with seven of them in the Premier League.

In October, Manchester City offered Iheanacho 50,000 pounds-a-week.

As first reported by AfricanFootball.com, City have opened talks with Iheanacho’s handlers over a new contract after he justified his promotion to the first team at The Etihad with goals and five-star displays in his debut season in the English Premier League.

We have further learnt that Iheanacho is currently earning “between 10,000 and 18,000 pounds a week” after coming through the City youth ranks.

AfricanFootball.com was specially told by an insider that the least paid City first-teamer is on 180,000 pounds-a-week with the biggest earner at the club Yaya Toure pocketing almost twice that sum.

Iheanacho is expected to bag a new contract by July.
http://africanfootball.com/news/627073/Iheanacho-wants-200000-pounds-a-week-5-year-Manchester-City-contract
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 11:05am On May 04, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ahmed Musa will be big hit in EPL tips Babangida
[/size]

Ahmed Musa (left) in action for Nigeria recently

Ex-Nigeria World Cup star Tijjani Babangida has tipped CSKA Moscow star Ahmed Musa to take the English Premier League by storm should he move there this summer.

Premier League champions Leicester have reportedly revived their interest in Ahmed Musa after his Russian army club blocked his move in January with Tottenham Hotspur also believed to be interested in the flying forward.

CSKA severally rejected Leicester offers because it fell short of their 22 million pounds valuation of the Nigeria star, who is a big Arsenal fan.

Former Ajax Amsterdam winger Babangida has told AfricanFootball.com Musa should now jump at the chance to join Leicester because he has all it takes to shine in the EPL.

"Ahmed (Musa) should not think twice before he agrees to join Leicester City,” Babangida told AfricanFootball.com

"He will be a big hit in England because he has all the qualities to be successful in the EPL - his speed, technique and shooting ability - will see him through in England.

“It was a pity he was not allowed to move in January."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/627117/Ahmed-Musa-will-be-big-hit-in-EPL-tips-Babangida
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (16112) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mikhe2(m), 10cedes and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.