Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:02 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1505) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11322708 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1502) (1503) (1504) (1505) (1506) (1507) (1508) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:07am On Sep 13, 2017
PROVERBZ:
who are they please

Junior Salomon of Plateau United and Paterne Counou of Akwa United. Salomon is actually their main team vice-captain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:09am On Sep 13, 2017
Nigeria coach Salisu Yusuf: The players showed great character

Tuesday Sep 12, 2017. 13:00
Nigeria coach Salisu Yusuf has explained that his players showed great character to come through a tough 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations clash against Sierre Leone on Monday night.

Moses Okoro and Moses Peter scored a goal apiece in the final five minutes of the tie to hand the Super Eagles a 2-0 win at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium and see them progress into the group stage.

Yusuf made it clear that Nigeria’s preparation for the WAFU tournament took a back seat while they were playing Cameroon in back-to-back 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

“We didn’t have training [except for] one day because we were so much concerned with the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon,” he told the post-match press conference.

“It’s the most important. We have qualified for CHAN [African Nations Championship], so we had to take a risk that all our concentration will be on the World Cup first.

“It was a good decision and it was a good game, because we came here with the same squad that played Benin in the last CHAN qualifier and we played the same system.

“We had some good young players come in, but they cannot play because they never trained. All of them played a league match on Saturday and travelled long distances, so there was no recovery.

“The players have done very well, they have shown great character to survive this game.”

http://wafucup.com/news/727989/Nigeria-coach-Salisu-Yusuf-The-players-showed-great-character

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:14am On Sep 13, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Super Eagles Stars, Pinnick Confident Omidiji Will Choose Nigeria Ahead Of USA

Super Eagles star including Kelechi Iheanacho and William Troost-Ekong are confident they can persuade Feyenoord wonderkid Lateef Omidiji Jnr to commit his international future to Nigeria ahead of his country of birth, the United States.

The Nigeria Football Federation, especially Amaju Pinnick and vice president Seyi Akinwunmi, also deserve plaudits as they have been working behind the scenes to make sure the young striker pledges his allegiance to Nigeria, ahead of the 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup.

''Some of the Super Eagles players (Iheanacho and Troost-Ekong), Lateef has had long lasting relationships with them,'' a top source told allnigeriasoccer.com .

''They are super supportive of him, encouraging and see him as a baby brother and the one coming up behind them in the future.

''Today most people are finding out but he's known most of them for a while.

''Akinwunmi has gone above and beyond. Pinnick has been in contact with Feyenoord. They have emailed, called, spoken to Feyenoord to make sure Feyenoord know he's their player.

''Lateef is going to eclipse anything we've seen in a while in Nigeria in the coming years.''

Lateef Omidiji's father is a Nigerian based in the Netherlands, which makes him eligible to represent the three-time African champions despite being born in the United States.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24613

That statement smacks of a person who really has no understanding of youth football development.

I have seen kids amazing at 13 burned out at 15. It's almost impossible to make those huge assumptions so early. You have late starters and early bloomers.

It's unnecessary pressure for the young kid.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:32am On Sep 13, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Goodness me... because of one goal against who again? Qarabag?? Tell me more biko.... grin

Some of you guys can really get into meltdown mode quicker than I thought... Hahahahahahahahaha

now you see,

jst like my OBSERVATION man,
who will kwentinue to observe EDENWA as he move from strength to strength,

wen e don observe finish you no as e go talk , not gud enuf, chaiiii!!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:39am On Sep 13, 2017
I understand what you mean Sir Komekn... Leandro depetris comes to mind. smiley.

Here, have a look... http://www.goal.com/en/news/leandro-depetris-the-boy-who-could-have-been-messi/1a4wt33o72sto1j735w6i41ibr

Nevertheless, I do hope Omidiji fulfills his high potentials.

komekn:

That statement smacks of a person who really has no understanding of youth football development.

I have seen kids amazing at 13 burned out at 15. It's almost impossible to make those huge assumptions so early. You have late starters and early bloomers.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:46am On Sep 13, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
dooh, I hail you senibo.

so nah eko you dey ma broda
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:48am On Sep 13, 2017
Lollll..... looking quite like an enigma right? lol.... Na each person sabi wetin him dey "Observe" for real wink

do4luv14:

now you see,

jst like my OBSERVATION man,
who will kwentinue to observe EDENWA as he move from strength to strength,

wen e don observe finish you no as e go talk , not gud enuf, chaiiii!!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:58am On Sep 13, 2017
komekn:

First issue is money the Turkish league pays more and probably has much more money in addition the Lure of Champions league.

In reality the intensity, raw physicality and speed could be a lot to handle if you are looking to have an easy life or take it easy in the twilight of your career.

Two different types of football, playing a season or two
in Turkey and you can loose your competitive edge. It's just a much slower build up and far less intensity you can cover lack of speed and stamina with technical ability. I do recall speaking to a Nigerian international who came back to England and he struggled to capture previous form as a result.

The EPL preferences, particularly outside of the top 6 teams, a different set of attributes to succeed.

I'll put it this way a striker who scores 20 goals ➕ in the championship and one who scores the same in the Turkish first division. Who do you think will generate more interest in the Premiership and the Bundesliga

You seem to have forgotten that money is the name of the game. Where the money is, that's where the top players move to. If we subtract £$€ from the Premiership, you think it will generate the kind of interest like presently witnessed?

If like you have said, Turkey presents more money on the table for players, why then will you compare the league with the championship which offers considerable lesser money to players?

About the quality of play, speaking from what I have seen over the years, the atmosphere in Turkish stadia is unrivaled anywhere in the world.

Read this interview by Chamberlain.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/501606/Intimidation-costs-Besiktas-boss-Slaven-Bilic-place-on-Arsenal-touchline

Opened: 1908
Fenerbahçe S.K. have one of the best home stadiums in the world.
Şükrü Saracoğlu Stadium is an incredible place, and it has a wonderful atmosphere. In Turkey, the stadium doesn't get the highest-profile games, but the matches are still incredibly intense.
Fans love football in Turkey, and they are extremely passionate for every single match. When you walk onto the pitch in front of 50,000 screaming people, you are going to be intimidated.
Fans are pretty close to the pitch, making the environment even more hostile. The arena is great, and it is one of the most intimidating places in the world.

©bleachers

I vehemently disagree that the league in Turkey is lacking in competitive edge. If only you know how heated games involving the Istanbul teams are.

At the last Euros, the champions paraded players playing in Turkey. Podolski still played for Germany while at Galatasary. If the football there is as poor as you think, these athletes won't be playing for these top nations.

I recall this player named Burak Yilmaz, he was the most talked about player in Europe back in 2012 when he played for Galatasary (I think). He became the top scorer in the champions group stages, even topping Ronaldo. That year he scored close to 40 goals in 30 something games.
My brother clubs where falling over themselves to get this guy after that season. This is not hearsay, what I'm saying is verifiable. I don't know why he choose to remain in Turkey (probably they upped his wage at Galatasary)
Andre Santos walked straight from Besiktas to the Arsenal/ Brazilian first team.

Off the top of my head I can recall these names. If I research further I'm sure to find other examples.

If the Austrian top goalscorer can move to Manchester City why can't a Fenerbache striker move to a club of equal strength to Man city?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:06pm On Sep 13, 2017
I agree. But you never know why he said that. Why did Barcelona invest so much on young Messi? Some kids really stand out.
Maybe this kid belongs to that rare category.

komekn:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:26pm On Sep 13, 2017
cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:29pm On Sep 13, 2017
And this

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:32pm On Sep 13, 2017
one more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2017
komekn:

the guy is ignorant about how things works in football,we have seen several kids being compared to messi,okocha,ronaldo,and expecting them to live up to their hype,but we've seen them come n go without attaining such height. but we pray that Lafeef's case will b different.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 2:04pm On Sep 13, 2017
Napoleon55:
the guy is ignorant about how things works in football,we have seen several kids being compared to messi,okocha,ronaldo,and expecting them to live up to their hype,but we've seen them come n go without attaining such height. but we pray that Lafeef's case will b different.

I am 0% sold on the kid. I would be shocked to even be hearing his name 6years from now, the US hardly produces any good player. The favouritism this boy is getting will spur other players to greater heights though, that's the only positive

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2017
Lateef Omidiji jr,

It is nice to see all the support for the kid but we are yet to see if he will build on his abilities to actually become a super eagles player.

14 years old is so far away from international football. A 13 year old prodigy might be no where at 16. That is how youth football works.

Yesterday, i watched highlights of one of his recent games for Feyenord under 15. He came on, in the second half, played top striker but did not really have much touches from the highlights. Had a shot on target and appeared to run into space well.Hopefully, he continues to improve.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:27pm On Sep 13, 2017
goldfish80:

You seem to have forgotten that money is the name of the game. Where the money is, that's where the top players move to. If we subtract £$€ from the Premiership, you think it will generate the kind of interest like presently witnessed?

If like you have said, Turkey presents more money in the table for players, why then will you compare the league with the championship which offers considerable lesser money to players?

About the quality of play, speaking from what I have seen over the years, the atmosphere in Turkish stadia are unrivaled anywhere in the world.

Read this interview by Chamberlain.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/501606/Intimidation-costs-Besiktas-boss-Slaven-Bilic-place-on-Arsenal-touchline

I vehemently disagree that the league in Turkey is lacking in competitive edge. If only you know how heated games involving the Istanbul teams are.

At the last Euros, the champions paraded players playing in Turkey. Podolski still played for Germany while at Galatasary. If the football there is as poor as you think, these athletes won't be playing for these top nations.

I recall this player named Burak Yilmaz, he was the most talked about player in Europe back in 2012 when he played for Galatasary (I think). He became the top scorer in the champions group stages, even topping Ronaldo. I that year he scored close to 40 goals in 30 something games.
My brother clubs where falling over themselves to get this guy after that season. This is not hearsay, what I'm saying is verifiable. I don't know why he choose to remain in Turkey (probably they upped his wage at Galatasary)
Andre Santos walked straight from Besiktas to the Arsenal/ Brazilian first team.

Off the top of my head I can recall these names. If I research further I'm sure to find other examples.

If the Austrian top goalscorer can move to Manchester City why can't a Fenerbache striker move to a club of equal strength to Man city?

Kayode has been bought by Manchester city but is he playing for City will he ever play for city Clubs like city buy many players who never play for them.

Podolski was already established in the German national team and in Europe when he lost his position at Arsenal decided to follow the ££££ and go to Turkey.

Santos left to Turkey from Brazilian side Corinthians with great prospects was the highest goal scoring left back in Turkey came to Arsenal as a fill in played only 23 league games in two seasons , that is literally a reserve player. He was sold oof as not being good enough.

The Turkish fans are crazeee the atmosphere is nuclear explosive i agree 100%, they are obsessional about their teams, simply Fantastic. The football, however, is not on the same level as its support. The very reason why the league can generate so much money, huge crowds and obsessive fans with money to spend. It is certainly not the quality of the football.

Burak Yilmaz hmmm I can assure you that you are exaggerating it beyond measure to the point of delusion. HE WAS NEVER THE HOTTEST PROSPECT IN EUROPE His career goals in Turkey are 82 goals from 141 games and in the 2011/12 season he scored 35 from 43 games. This is gross misrepresentation comparing him to Ronaldo to put it lightly. He may have been the Turkish poster boy and wonder kid but that's where it began and ended.

Money does not determine outright quality it can enhance it but not create it.

You omitted to answer my question;

I'll put it this way, a striker who scores 20 goals ➕ in the championship and one who scores the same in the Turkish first division. Who do you think will generate more interest in the Premiership and the Bundesliga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 2lola: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2017
]Chrisantus ; who remember the guy shot from the midfield in 2007 U-17 world cup final that hit the pool. I use to think he would be called to the SE but I never follow him up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:36pm On Sep 13, 2017
2lola:
]Chrisantus ; who remember the guy shot from the midfield in 2007 U-17 world cup final that hit the pool. I use to think he would be called to the SE but I never follow him up.

Sorry i can not.

But i do remember a lot of the players particularly Chrisantus promised so much delivered very little just like Rabui Ibrahim voted within top 20 ying talents in his time. Lukman Haruna went far playing for Monaco but has sizzled out so quickly he is only 26 why, why in explainable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
Mickael2:

I am 0% sold on the kid. I would be shocked to even be hearing his name 6years from now, the US hardly produces any good player. The favouritism this boy is getting will spur other players to greater heights though, that's the only positive

A few days ago I came across a guy who was a senior part of Tottenham's youth development coaching team, he was there for over 10 years. He said to me that up until 16/18 they considered letting Kane go he wasn't outstanding. His view its almost impossible to tell who is going to be exceptional up to even age 15/16.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:52pm On Sep 13, 2017
komekn:

A few days ago I came across a guy who was a senior part of Tottenham's youth development coaching team, he was there for over 10 years. He said to me that up until 16/18 they considered letting Kane go he wasn't outstanding. His view its almost impossible to tell who is going to be exceptional up to even age 15/16.

True, I remember that Iwobi was almost let go as well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2017
2lola:

Christantus problem was age..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:05pm On Sep 13, 2017
Macauley Chrisantus Shuns Wisla Krakow For Newly Promoted Greek Side Lamia

Former golden boy of Nigerian football Macauley Chrisantus has walked out of his trials with Polish side Wisla Krakow to join Greek side Lamia.

Chrisantus has been on trial for ten days with Wisla Krakow ‎with a hat-trick to his name in his first trial game, but a decision on his potential signing has not been made by the club.

He was due to play in another ‎test game on Wednesday, but the 26 year old left Poland for Greece where he has penned a short term deal with Lamia.

It’s not the first time the forward who has played in Spain and Germany is having a stint in Greece, where he turned out for AEK Athens for 18 months before leaving for Reus of Spain.

Known for his goal scoring abilities, he will be hoping for a better time than last time out in Spain with Reus where he failed to score unlike at every other club he has played for.

Daniel Martins

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/12/macauley-chrisantus-shuns-wisla-krakow-for-newly-promoted-greek-side-lamia/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2017
Rohr Plots Super Eagles’ Game Plan With Zambia Videos

By David Meshioye:

Gernot Rohr has commenced close study of two Zambia’s Match footages ahead of Nigeria’s crunch 2018 World Cup qualifier against Chipolopolo’s in Uyo on October 7, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Super Eagles’ Media Officer Toyin Ibitoye told Completesortsnigeria.com that the former Burkina Faso coach is leaving no stone unturned to ensure Zambia are flattened like Cameroon at Goodwill Akpabio Stadium.

Towards this end, Rohr has began a closer study of Zambia-Algeria double-header videos, admitting that the two matches confirmed Chipolopolo’s resurgence in Group B.

” I can confidently tell you that Super Eagles coach is seriously busy with the two Zambia’s games footages,” Ibitoye told Completesportsnigeria.com.

” Rohr has been studying the tapes with his backroom staff, with the aim of coming up with the right tactics for the game.

” All hands must be on deck, Zambia will not be taken lightly.”

Nigeria lead Group B with 10 points but would need an outright win over Zambia to guarantee her third straight World Cup qualification after matchday 5.

On the other hands, Zambia need to dig deep for a win in Uyo to take final group matches to the wire.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/72476-2/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2017
How Alex Iwobi And Kelechi Iheanacho Are Repositioning Nigeria’s Football History

Description: A Look at the Prospects of Nigeria’s Two Young Talented Players Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho Bringing the Country’s Football Back to the Limelight

The Nigerian football planet has never been a forlorn one. No one could ever say that Nigeria is a disadvantaged country when it comes to football. As much as it may not have maximized its potentials to the fullest, and actualized its utmost possibilities, it has given the world flashes of brilliance. There is hope that with time and proper management the country can still do great things. This is because the talents that will rule the world are not in lack in one of Africa’s biggest footballing powerhouses.

The heroics of Nigerian football seem to come in different eras. The golden era of football in Nigeria ended a few years back with the two biggest names the country has witnessed in the game. Kanu Nwankwo and Austin Jay Jay Okocha gave Nigeria the level of football, international exposure, and trophies no other era has given her.

The superlative performances of Okocha in the CAF AFCON 94 tournament which they won, and his display of skills in USA ‘94 World Cup are still evergreen. The magical display by the duo in Atlanta ‘96 Olympics is still fresh in the minds of many. They were indeed so great that whenever Nigerians find themselves in footballing nations, people referred to them as Kanu and Okocha’s people. While Kanu always capitalized on the big occasions with invaluable impacts, Jay Jay was always mesmerizing the entire fans with his avalanche of skills.

When the duo hanged their boots, flashes of brilliance from John Obi Mikel, Ogenyi Onazi and some of their contemporaries were also witnessed. But while Mikel is a very good player anytime, his era did not have the array of great talents in different departments to bring out the best him. The fact that he was pushed away from his original attacking role to a deep one by Jose Mourinho at Chelsea also did not help matters.

However, talents like Elderson Echiejile, Godfrey Oboabona, Emmanuel Emenike, Ahmed Musa and some others did their best, and were later rewarded with a nations cup in 2013 Luckily, Nigerian football is currently witnessing a very huge revival, thanks to the duo of what seems like the olden day Kanu and Okocha. Kelechi Iheanacho and Alexander Iwobi are two highly talented players at the heart of Nigerian attack that are bringing back the glory days of Nigerian football.

When people sit ruminate on whether the two players can take us back to the days of Kanu and Okocha, they consider the similarities between the two set of players. It was a period when Nigeria was feared in the football world.

However, Iwobi, who was born in Lagos before his parents moved to the UK, is a nephew to Austin Jay Jay Okocha, and they are from the same state in Nigeria. Kelechi on the other angle is a native of the state where Kanu was born and bred, and where he lives and still refers to as his home state.

When it comes to footballing skills and qualities, the similarities become even more striking, while Kelechi Iheanacho is a natural goal scorer like Kanu Nwankwo, Alex Iwobi possesses the skills and craft that his Uncle is known for. With their performances at club sides and country levels, it is not out of place to say that the two have the attention in Nigeria football at the moment.

While Iwobi enjoyed his growth in football in the very developed arsenal academy which he joined right from primary school, Kelechi started the hard way. He wrote about how they would fold their socks to make balls and play on muddy grounds in the ghetto where he grew up in Nigeria. He was unable to raise 50 Nigerian Naira to view the epic final day battle that gave Manchester City their first ever Premier League title at the dying minute in 2012.

However, his heroics at 2013 Under 17 World Cup tournament in the United Arab Emirates, where he struck four times against Mexico in the opening game, drew the attention of the world.
It was also in the same year that Iwobi was listed for the very first time among the first team players for Arsenal in a league match against West Brom.

They had their great moments in 2015/16 season when both of them made their debuts in the first teams of their clubs in England. While Iheanacho mesmerized the world with his amazing strike and assist against Manchester United, Iwobi surprisingly rose into Arsenal’s first team, scoring against Everton and Watford in the same year.

Their club fortunes in 2016/17 season were a bit mixed. But they soared in the national side. In the World Cup Qualifying campaign, two of them scored in a 2-1 win against Zambia in an encounter that looked like what the old super eagles are made of. That was an amazing start to the qualifiers for the 2018 tournament in Russia, especially as Cameroun and Algeria drew in the other fixture for their group, check more with online betting offers.

This tells the story of what the two can do for the country in the future when properly used. While Iwobi could not feature in the match against Cameroun on September 1 2017 due to injury, Iheanacho got a goal to his name after coming on as a substitute.

With the likes of Mikel and the underrated Onazi in the center, the talented Victor and Simon Moses at the flanks, Iwobi and Iheanacho can lead the Nigerian attack and produce amazing performances anytime. This is irrespective of the team played against. While Iwobi thrives in those unexpected dribbles and final passes, Iheanacho is so good in positioning, and has the pace, strength, and an eye for goal that is rare in other players.

At 20 years old, Kelechi Iheanacho scored 12 goals in 46 appearances for Manchester City before moving to Leicester City, and has seen the back of the net 7 times in 11 appearances for Nigeria. Iwobi at 21 has also scored 5 times in 40 games for Arsenal and once in 10 appearances for Nigeria. Check our latest betting prediction update.
With their age, skills, and good team mates at club and national team levels, the best moments of the duo for Nigeria is just starting.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/72521-2/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2017
komekn:

Kayode has been bought by Manchester city but is he playing for City will he ever play for city Clubs like city buy many players who never play for them.

Podolski was already established in the German national team and in Europe when he lost his position at Arsenal decided to follow the ££££ and go to Turkey.

Santos left to Turkey from Brazilian side Corinthians with great prospects was the highest goal scoring left back in Turkey came to Arsenal as a fill in played only 23 league games in two seasons , that is literally a reserve player. He was sold oof as not being good enough.

The Turkish fans are crazeee the atmosphere is nuclear explosive i agree 100%, they are obsessional about their teams, simply Fantastic. The football, however, is not on the same level as its support. The very reason why the league can generate so much money, huge crowds and obsessive fans with money to spend. It is certainly not the quality of the football.

Burak Yilmaz hmmm I can assure you that you are exaggerating it beyond measure to the point of delusion. HE WAS NEVER THE HOTTEST PROSPECT IN EUROPE His career goals in Turkey are 82 goals from 141 games and in the 2011/12 season he scored 35 from 43 games. This is gross misrepresentation comparing him to Ronaldo to put it lightly. He may have been the Turkish poster boy and wonder kid but that's where it began and ended.

Money does not determine outright quality it can enhance it but not create it.

You omitted to answer my question;

I'll put it this way, a striker who scores 20 goals ➕ in the championship and one who scores the same in the Turkish first division. Who do you think will generate more interest in the Premiership and the Bundesliga

If only you had narrowed the comparism to specific season you would have discovered that Burak Yilmaz at the time scored 33 goals in 34 games. He also bossed the Champions league with 8 goals in 6 group matches, emerging the top scorer at the time.
Yes he scored more goals than Ronaldo.

His eight goals in the Champions League brought Yilmaz to the attention of many top clubs, and Spurs would face competition from Atletico Madrid and Fiorentina.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfer-news-burak-yilmaz-2006270

If his exploits were negligible Spurs, Athletico Madrid, Lazio, Fiorentina wouldn't have gunned for him. I can't recall a striker in the Championship attracting such interests from European clubs like that.

When our own Emenike emerged from Turkey, there was a long list of clubs across Europe who went in hard for him. Even when his form wanned, he still signed up on loan to West ham.

Last season I watched a few Championship games and to be honest the quality was poor. The usual stereotype English kicked and rush football held sway.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2017
Ikhana: Let’s Move On From Super Eagles’ Cameroon Win, Focus On Zambia

Former Kano Pillars coach Kadiri Ikhana has advised the Nigeria Football Federation to put the Super Eagles World Cup qualifiers success over Cameroon behind them and start plotting how to beat Zambia, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.The Super Eagles took four points off the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in two Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers in early September to stay on top of African qualifying Group B.

But Ikhana, who led Enyimba to CAF Champions League success in 2003, feels Zambian seem to have developed a feeling that no mountain is insurmountable after their wins over Algeria and therefore have nothing to lose against Nigeria.

“I feel we are beginning to celebrate our feat over Cameroon for too long,” Ikhana told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“All of that should be in the past by now because it could be counter-productive.

“It is more or less like counting your chickens before they are hatched. The truth is we have not qualify and I see no reason why we keep dwelling on Super Eagles’ feat over Cameroun when we have another threat coming from the Zambians.

“That game calls for seriousness and intense preparation because we just have to remain focused and win to qualify for the World Cup.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ikhana-lets-move-super-eagles-cameroon-win-focus-zambia/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2017
Yes, in fact every kid who show interest in any kind of sport need to be supported. Actually, our children need to be supported whenever they choose to do anything.

Sloane Stephens, for those who follow tennis and know her, was written off when she was young at a tennis academy. But her mom stood by her, and she just won the US Open at age 24. And there are many more examples.

I would love to see a Nigerian society that believe and promote people whether they show promise or not in their chosen field of endeavor.

I love the support Omidiji is getting. And I hope one day we will imbibe that in our culture.

For now, we have the culture of "I don't believe", "until then"or we wait until someone achieves a height, then we all join the bandwagon of calling the person/player our own.

Success does not come overnight.. it takes pain, and daily practice. it takes focus. The most important thing is trying, whether you eventually achieve that goal or not. . Let's always hope for the best.

tbaba1234:
Lateef Omidiji jr,

It is nice to see all the support for the kid but we are yet to see if he will build on his abilities to actually become a super eagles player.

14 years old is so far away from international football. A 13 year old prodigy might be no where at 16. That is how youth football works.

Yesterday, i watched highlights of one of his recent games for Feyenord under 15. He came on, in the second half, played top striker but did not really have much touches from the highlights. Had a shot on target and appeared to run into space well.Hopefully, he continues to improve.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2017
Exactly why I've always supported this coach.

Orkpekyandega:
Rohr Plots Super Eagles’ Game Plan With Zambia Videos

By David Meshioye:

Gernot Rohr has commenced close study of two Zambia’s Match footages ahead of Nigeria’s crunch 2018 World Cup qualifier against Chipolopolo’s in Uyo on October 7, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Super Eagles’ Media Officer Toyin Ibitoye told Completesortsnigeria.com that the former Burkina Faso coach is leaving no stone unturned to ensure Zambia are flattened like Cameroon at Goodwill Akpabio Stadium.

Towards this end, Rohr has began a closer study of Zambia-Algeria double-header videos, admitting that the two matches confirmed Chipolopolo’s resurgence in Group B.

” I can confidently tell you that Super Eagles coach is seriously busy with the two Zambia’s games footages,” Ibitoye told Completesportsnigeria.com.

” Rohr has been studying the tapes with his backroom staff, with the aim of coming up with the right tactics for the game.

” All hands must be on deck, Zambia will not be taken lightly.”

Nigeria lead Group B with 10 points but would need an outright win over Zambia to guarantee her third straight World Cup qualification after matchday 5.

On the other hands, Zambia need to dig deep for a win in Uyo to take final group matches to the wire.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/72476-2/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:26pm On Sep 13, 2017
Sometimes, I feel like Ndidi doesn't get the praise he deserves from sports journalists in Nigeria, especially as regards this new generation of players.

It's always Kelechi and Iwobi in the news, but Ndidi has stamped more authority in recent times both for club and country

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:36pm On Sep 13, 2017
goldfish80:

If only you had narrowed the comparism to specific season you would have discovered that Burak Yilmaz at the time scored 33 goals in 34 games. He also bossed the Champions league with 8 goals in 6 group matches, emerging the top scorer at the time.
Yes he scored more goals than Ronaldo.

If his exploits were negligible Spurs, Athletico Madrid, Lazio, Fiorentina wouldn't have gunned for him. I can't recall a striker in the Championship attracting such interests from European clubs like that.

When our own Emenike emerged from Turkey, there was a long list of clubs across Europe who went in hard for him. Even when his form wanned, he still signed up on loan to West ham.

Last season I watched a few Championship games and to be honest the quality was poor. The usual stereotype English kicked and rush football held sway.

In terms of marketability, i think the championship is better. You get better exposure. If you are not in a champions league team in Turkey, you will hardly be noticed. Omeruo could not get even a mediocre championship side to bid for him.

Turkish league is higher in quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:52pm On Sep 13, 2017
According to ScoreNigeria.......

NPFL Team Of The Season

Rabiu Ali (right) and Kabiru Balogun of Kano Pillars celebrate a goal

The 2016/2017 Nigeria Professional Football League season came to a fitting close on Saturday, September 9, 2017.
Predictably, Plateau United emerged champions with MFM of Lagos taking the second position while Enyimba finished the campaign on third spot.

Scorenigeria.com.ng who covered the league extensively here picks an unbeatable Team of The Season made up of outstanding and consistent performers.

Goalkeeper:

Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)
The former Nigeria U17 and U23 shot stopper kept an impressive 12 clean sheets as Plateau United clinched a first-ever NPFL crown. He has been duly called up to both the home-based Eagles as well as the Super Eagles and it is now up to him to take his chance. He is calm, agile and experienced.

Dele Ajiboye

Defenders:

Osas Okoro (Enugu Rangers)
Skillful player who has made a big success of his switch from right wing to right fullback at Rangers. He can continue to improve his smart play and he could then start aspiring to challenge for the problematic right fullback position in the Super Eagles.

Daniel Itodo (Plateau United)

Left fullback with the longest throw-in in the NPFL. His throws were a deadly weapon for Plateau United to hurt opponents to telling effect.

Stephen Eze (FC Ifeanyiubah)
Giant central defender who has continued to improve in leaps and bounds so much so he was placed on standby for the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon this month.

Afeez Aremu (foreground) and Stephen Eze have both enjoyed great seasons and so their Eagles chance

Olamilekan Adeleye (FC Ifeanyiubah)
Strong and athletic centre-half who captained the billionaire club this past season. He oozes the confidence to also join the attack.

Midfielders:

Afeez Aremu (Akwa United)
The youngster played in 35 matches as his club chased the championship till the final weeks of the campaign. A box-to-box midfielder who is capable of even more in the coming years.

Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars)
Experience is the best teacher and the Kano Pillars skipper already has a very important admirer – Eagles coach Gernot Rohr. He scores goals and has the vision and the guile to create for others to also score.

Destiny Ashadi (Katsina United)
Intelligent central midfielder who weighed in with five goals and seven assists for Katsina United to stay up in the top league after they won promotion the previous season. He will be the complete player if only he could add some defensive responsibilities to his game.

Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United).
‘Muazzam’ scored 12 goals mostly from midfield to be noticed by Eagles coach Rohr. Sleek, intelligent and versatile.

Strikers:

Tony Okpotu (Lobi Stars)
Goal King with 19 goals. He is strong, experienced and knows his way to goal. He has also proved over the years to be a consistent scorers capable of double digits season after season.

Stephen Odey (left) in action for MFM in the NPFL

Stephen Odey (MFM FC)
His 18 goals helped MFM FC to finish as runners-up after they barely escaped relegation the previous season. He has grown both as a player and a person.

TEAM OF THE SEASON (4-4-2)

Goalkeeper: Dele Ajiboye (Plateau United)

Defenders: Osas Okoro (Enugu Rangers), Daniel Itodo (Plateau United), Stephen Eze (FC Ifeanyiubah), Olamilekan Adeleye (FC Ifeanyiubah).

Midfielders: Afeez Aremu (Akwa United), Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars), Destiny Ashadi (Katsina United), Alhassan Ibrahim (Akwa United).

Attackers: Tony Okpotu (Lobi Stars), Stephen Odey (MFM)

Subs: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (FC Ifeanyiubah), Ndifreke Effiong (Abia Warriors), Bolaji Sakin (Rivers Utd), Stanley Dimgba (Enyimba), Nasiru Sani (Katsina United), Emeka Atuloma (Rivers United), Kingsley Eduwo (Lobi Stars)

Coach: Kennedy Boboye

Source: http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/09/13/npfl-team-of-the-season/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 4:04pm On Sep 13, 2017
Joebie:
Yes, in fact every kid who show interest in any kind of sport need to be supported. Actually, our children need to be supported whenever they choose to do anything.

Sloane Stephens, for those who follow tennis and know her, was written off when she was young at a tennis academy. But her mom stood by her, and she just won the US Open at age 24. And there are many more examples.
B

I would love to see a Nigerian society that believe and promote people whether they show promise or not in their chosen field of endeavor.

I love the support Omidiji is getting. And I hope one day we will imbibe that in our culture.

For now, we have the culture of "I don't believe", "until then"or we wait until someone achieves a height, then we all join the bandwagon of calling the person/player our own.

Success does not come overnight.. it takes pain, and daily practice. it takes focus. The most important thing is trying, whether you eventually achieve that goal or not. . Let's always hope for the best.

Thanks so much for this...

(1) (2) (3) ... (1502) (1503) (1504) (1505) (1506) (1507) (1508) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: shawwal1(m), Samueltemi337(m), KpagoGIN(m), superbloke(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.