Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:20 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1885) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11322493 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1882) (1883) (1884) (1885) (1886) (1887) (1888) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:16am On Oct 24, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly i don't have any choice for now coz a lot of things needs to be sorted out before WC no thanks to Ikeme health, his health really affect d team.

Enyeama is coming from retirement and he still need to show us is still d same Vincent.

Ezenwa rating is high now.He has d confidence and composure of a good keeper but Argentina match may make or mar his chance as number 1 choice.

Akpeyi has d experience but need to work on his confidence as a keeper, though Rohr rate him highly.

Uzoho i watched today deserves a call up ASAP coz he has d confidence and read d game very well.

Allampasu need a chance like Uzoho in his club,though not new to Rohr coz he always have d opportunity to be in camp.

Ajiboye is a good keeper no doubt but need a bigger stage to show us what he can do,hope he w get his chance during CHAN,likely Ezenwa w moved in January transfer window.

Has Ezenwa found himself a club in Europe yet?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:19am On Oct 24, 2017
ChrisKels:
Kayode the undisputed man of the match. Him no even say make him pity his younger bro in Uzoho Chai. Kayode's electric pace would make faint hearted defenders and goal keepers pee their pants. Dude is a pest, a bad thorn in the buttocks. Kayode is really hungry for the World Cup. Dude even tackles as though he was a defensive player. We need him

Uzoho looks the real deal. Dude is tall, good reflexes, strong grips, reads the game well to know when to come out and when not to. Comfortable with the ball at his feet . Above all he is a confident young goalie. He was tall during the U17 days but definitely not this tall. He has that physique that makes good goalies. The future looks bright.

A bittersweet match for me. Would have been happier if it ended goalless with kayode the liveliest outfield player and uzoho the goalie with the highest and best saves. Lol i kinda sounded selfish and too patriotic there huh? Chai what would you have me say?

I pray alampasu displaces the first choice at fareinse too. Ezenwa's rumored move to OGC Nice looks like it was made up and will remain a rumour until everything is done and dusted, I wish him the best.

My three picks for the world cup remains, enyeama, ikeme and uzoho but if ikeme fails to recover in time, then enyeama, uzoho and Ezenwa would be our best bet.

You are still banking on Ikeme?

Pray he even plays football again.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:27am On Oct 24, 2017
forgiveness:

First of all, the coach said Akpeyi is his 3rd choice, therefore Akpeyi is out of the equation and Ikechuckwu Ezenwa is now in to compete with the rest.

From what my eyes saw this night, if I am the coach I will bring in Uzoho because he is naturally good.

No 1

Vincent Enyeama

No 2

Daniel Akpeyi

No 3

Francis Uzoho

If NFF are dogmatic about Enyeama not going to the world Cup then

My number one is

Daniel Akpeyi

No 2

Francis Uzoho

No 3

Dele Alampasu

The one goalie I am almost certain will make it to Russia is Ikechukwu Ezenwa. He may likely end up as second choice to either Enyeama or Akpeyi. He has always proven to be a good back up goalie.

Recall one of our qualifiers I think Algeria game when Ikeme, Ezenwa and Alampasu were invited. Ikeme got injured and Akpeyi was invited to replace Ikeme while Ezenwa still remained backup.
I think Rohr feels Ezenwa doesn't have the kind of exposure to be a number 1 keeper.

As for the young goalies, I don't see Rohr taking more than one, that is if he takes any of them. So for your second list of goalies one of Uzoho and Alampasu may likely have to drop.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:12am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Has Ezenwa found himself a club in Europe yet?
based on report,hope it materialised
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:22am On Oct 24, 2017
terzurum5:
"The New Super Eagles Thread: Russia 2018 World Cup and The Dawn of a New Era (The Next Golden Generation)".

Boss,
I feel its high time we changed the nomenclature of this thread.

It is no longer a 'New thread' neither is it a 'New Super Eagles'.

I suggest it be altered to 'The Super Eagles Thread:................' Every other thing remaining same.

My people wetin una say?

cc: joseph1013, tbaba1234, TheGoodJoe, forgiveness, safarigirl, goldfish80, enomakos, Kog45, Michael2, Orkpekyandega, Mujtahid, icon79, eterisan, blueto, joebie, confun, petrobros, do4luv14, Chriskels, Chrisoblog, Humility017, all Parliamentarians not mentioned please pardon me, you are included.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:28am On Oct 24, 2017
Kog45:
based on report,hope it materialised
OK.
Cos I only know his contract with FC Ifeanyi Ubah has ended.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:40am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Boss,

I suggest it be altered to 'The Super Eagles Thread:................' Every other thing remaining same.

My people wetin una say?

cc: joseph1013, tbaba1234, TheGoodJoe, forgiveness, safarigirl, goldfish80, enomakos, Kog45, Michael2, Orkpekyandega, Mujtahid, icon79, eterisan, blueto, joebie, confun, petrobros, do4luv14, Chriskels, Chrisoblog, Humility017, all Parliamentarians not mentioned please pardon me, you are included.

ya, something like the super eagles and rise of a new gladiators
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:42am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

OK.

Cos I only know his contract with FC Ifeanyi Ubah has ended.

let him go back o Israel, that's if report linking him to Israel is truth
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:50am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

The one goalie I am almost certain will make it to Russia is Ikechukwu Ezenwa. He may likely end up as second choice to either Enyeama or Akpeyi. He has always proven to be a good back up goalie.

Recall one of our qualifiers I think Algeria game when Ikeme, Ezenwa and Alampasu were invited. Ikeme got injured and Akpeyi was invited to replace Ikeme while Ezenwa still remained backup.
I think Rohr feels Ezenwa doesn't have the kind of exposure to be a number 1 keeper.

As for the young goalies, I don't see Rohr taking more than one, that is if he takes any of them. So for your second list of goalies one of Uzoho and Alampasu may likely have to drop.
Am one of d school of thought that believe so much in Akpeyi but truth be told he lack d confidence and calmness of Ezenwa.

Truly Ezenwa is average but his composure is a top notch and it showed against Cameroon and Zambia. Ezenwa have only Argentina match to prove himself as number 1.

I w not deceive u any of d keepers can break into d squad.All they need is opportunity, Ezenwa got d opportunity and seized it.

We cannot rule out Uzoho, Alampasu, Ajiboye.I watched Uzoho yesterday and am highly impressed with what i saw.Also Ajiboye against Guinea i was impressed.

These two guys apart from goalkeeping,they are good with ball on their feet and their ball distribution is awesome,Ezenwa and Akpeyi are lacking in this aspects.

I don't believe that Uzoho and Alampasu cannot make d team together coz Enyeama and Ejide made d team as a rookie to 2002 WC,if Ezenwa and Akpeyi failed to maintain their form,these young chaps are ready to take over.

Ezenwa chances in d squad is bright unless he throw it away.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:53am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Boss,

My people wetin una say?

Seconded
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:55am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Boss,

My people wetin una say?

Hmmm! I think this Super Eagles is still new. I may be wrong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:56am On Oct 24, 2017
the name is fine, as long as there is an older Super Eagles thread. It will attract new monikers that way. However, when Russia 2018 is done and dusted the name will need modification. Just my two cents

Icon4s:

Boss,

My people wetin una say?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:59am On Oct 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

I think Enyeama will be back once he sorts his club status.

It will be harsh to drop Ezenwa. My GK choices are

Enyeama
Ezenwa
Uzoho
Too harsh to drop Ezenwa? He should just maintain his form and prove himself against Argentina, any howler from any of d keepers, forget it they are out coz Enyeama is returning and Uzoho is knocking d door.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:08am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

NFF board members are fighting hard to stop Rohr from inviting Vincent Enyeama to the National team because they perceived Rohr is not disposed in taking Ezenwa to the World Cup.

They even threatened to terminate his appointment if he insist on bringing back Enyeama from retirement.

They don't want any retired Super Eagles players in the world cup except those who participated in the world cup qualifiers. Opening the door for players like Ambrose and Obafemi Martins are exempted because they participated in the world cup.

My point is, if Rohr have is way, Ikechuckwu Ezenwa should kiss the world cup, good bye. This is going by the report I read on newspaper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:12am On Oct 24, 2017
terzurum5:

I had to check if you were the one. For sure the Forgiveness I knew has not lost steam.

grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Boss,

My people wetin una say?

Yeah, thanks for bringing this up sir. I will like the modification to go in accordance with the current happenings, so I will recommend this:

The Super Eagles: 2018 World Cup Preparations And 2019 AFCON Qualification

However, I doubt that Sir Terzurum5 will be able to modify it, because my experience have taught me that when a thread is trending for a long time, the thread creator may not be able to modify the title anyone, So a mod may be needed in this case.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:15am On Oct 24, 2017
Joebie:
hahaha.. how many players have played in the Brazilian league eh @ forgiveness ?.. Brazilians play almost everywhere.. in fact many relatively unknown Brazilian players are average. oya tell us.. did he play in the 2nd 3rd, 4th tier of the Brazilian league?
or don't it matter? now we don catch u..

If he gets a club in EPL and he performs well, I will clamor for him..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:15am On Oct 24, 2017
forgiveness:

NFF board members are fighting hard to stop Rohr from inviting Vincent Enyeama to the National team because they perceived Rohr is not disposed in taking Ezenwa to the World Cup.

They even threatened to terminate his appointment if he insist on bringing back Enyeama from retirement.

They don't want any retired Super Eagles players in the world cup except those who participated in the world cup qualifiers. Opening the door for players like Ambrose and Obafemi Martins are exempted because they participated in the world cup.

My point is, if Rohr have is way, Ikechuckwu Ezenwa should kiss the world cup, good bye. This is going by the report I read on newspaper.

Any link or source?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:19am On Oct 24, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Any link or source?

I read it on Sporting life
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2017
FIFA Best Awards: How Mikel, Rohr Voted As Hazard Picks Kante

By Nurudeen Obalola and Johnny Edward:

FIFA have revealed how national team coaches and captains voted in The Best Football Awards with Nigeria’s Gernot Rohr and Mikel Obi making largely different choices.

Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was named the FIFA Best men’s player for a second year running while his manager Zinedine Zidane picked up the coaches’ award at the London ceremony on Monday night, as voted for by national team coaches and captains.
FIFA published how the coaches and captains voted later on Monday night, revealing some interesting choices.

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr voted for Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi as his first choice in the best player category, followed by Atletico Madrid’s France forward Antoine Griezmann and Bayern Munich’s Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. Rohr interestingly has both French and German heritage.
Nigeria captain Mikel Obi also made Messi his best player but voted Ronaldo as his second choice, and Juventus and Italy’s goalkeeping legend Gianluigi Buffon, who won the Best Goalkeeper award, as his third choice.

For FIFA Best Coach, Rohr went for Frenchman Zidane as his first choice, Germany coach Joachim Low as second choice and Chelsea’s Italian manager Antonio Conte as third choice.

Mikel also voted for Conte, the man who sent him packing from Chelsea, but as is first choice, followed by Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri and Zidane.
One of the most interesting choices in the voting is Belgium captain Eden Hazard opting for his teammate at Chelsea N’Golo Kante as first choice in the Best Player category, with Ronaldo and Luka Modric as second and third choices.

Meanwhile, there was no media nominee representation from Nigeria for the 2017 Best FIFA award.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/fifa-best-awards-mikel-rohr-voted-hazard-picks-kante/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:23am On Oct 24, 2017
forgiveness:

Okay. I will search for it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aodis: 8:24am On Oct 24, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:29am On Oct 24, 2017
Nigeria: NFF Washes Hands Off Debate On Enyeama's Planned Return to Eagles

By Gowon Akpodonor
As reactions continue to trail the decision by Super Eagles handler, Gernot Rohr to open the door for former skipper and first choice goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama to return to the fold, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) declared yesterday it was neither in support nor against the decision.

Enyeama left the national team in controversial circumstances in 2015 following a row with former Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh. Several attempts and appeals by some individuals were made for him to come back to the team but he refused. To some Nigerians, Rohr's decision to throw Eagles' door open to Enyeama could be counter productive, especially at Russia 2018 World Cup.

Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, NFF Secretary General, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi said the football house would not in any way interfere in Rohr's choice of players and goalkeepers for the national team.

"The NFF does not interfere in the choice of players or goalkeepers for the national teams," Sanusi said. "We gave Rohr the free hand to pick whoever he feels capable of playing in the Super Eagles. I won't say we are in support of his decision to bring back Enyeama neither will I say we are against it. Rohr's decision is final as far as such issue is concerned."

Super Eagles Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye said in a chat with The Guardian yesterday that Rohr was not planning to hand Enyeama an automatic entry into the World Cup-bound Super Eagles, but to give him chance to fight for it. "Rohr has not said the Enyeama is coming straight into the team, but he will have to prove himself whether or not he is still fit to earn a place in the goalkeeping area. To me, it is not a bad idea. But that is not to write off other goalkeepers in the team," Ibitoye said.

To some Nigerians, however, the Super Eagles currently need players who can be loyal to the coach and follow instructions, but not people with attitude problem.

Some have suggested that the technical crew should look into Enyeama's injury problem critically before opening the door for his return to the team since he had been out of action for over six months. For some others, Enyeama's return to the Super Eagles could spark a captainship row in the team, which could jeopardise Nigeria's chances of making appreciable impact at the World Cup.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201710240053.html

Cc: Sir forgiveness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:30am On Oct 24, 2017
NIGERIAN MAKES WHOSCORED BEST XI of the Week

Olarenwaju Kayode makes whoscored La Liga best XI of the Week

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:31am On Oct 24, 2017
aodis:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/independent.ng/nff-rohr-may-clash-enyeama/amp/

No credible source... No name was mentioned... I don't believe the news
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 8:32am On Oct 24, 2017
Just outta curiosity, how do you know this info? Is there something you know that we don't?

Ok, I seem your responses to other forumites. I don't really believe most of these papers cos they merely speculate false news. That's why Naija players are the most actively transferred players on NAIJA controlled newspapers and internet. E.g. Etebo and Azuibike to Monaco, Moses Simon to West Brom. Also they come up with SE camp distorting news. Thats how I read somewhere that Rohr was set to dismiss Mikel as his captain. Smh. Just don't believer all u read

forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:33am On Oct 24, 2017
grin
forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:33am On Oct 24, 2017
cheesy
soetanoreoluwa:

No credible source... No name was mentioned... I don't believe the news
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:37am On Oct 24, 2017
Sure, why not? it should always be based performance even at that level.

forgiveness:

If he gets a club in EPL and he performs well, I will clamor for him..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:41am On Oct 24, 2017
Thanks boss

terzurum5:

Good
Dude is an all round scorer.
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 8:45am On Oct 24, 2017
ROAD TO RUSSIA: 10 Super Eagles Players Who Should Feature Vs Algeria

Ahead of the Super Eagles’ African qualifying Group B FIFA 2018 World Cup clash against Algeria, Completesportsnigeria.com’s JAMES AGBEREBI lists 10 players who should be considered for starting places against the North Africans as the Nigeria squad take shape for the World Cup…

HENRY ONYEKURU (Anderlecht)
Henry Onyekuru’s first invitation to the Super Eagles was in the 2-0 defeat to Bafana Bafana of South Africa in a Group E 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Uyo in June.

But he did not feature as he was an unused substitute in the game.

He was however placed on the Eagles’ standby list in the double-header against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon.

Despite not being invited for the last qualifer against Chipolopolo of Zambia, Onyekuru has not allowed it to affect his club performance for Anderlecht.

Since joining the Belgian champions on loan from Everton, Onyekuru has scored six goals in 10 league games so far.

The game against Algeria would be the perfect official debut for Onyekuru to show what he can do in fornt of goal for the Eagles.

JOHN OGU (Hapoel Beer-Sheva, Israel)
The Hapoel Beer-Sheva midfielder is yet to feature for the Super Eagles in the World Cup qualifiers despite being invited several times.

Ogu was in the squad for the games against Cameroon in both legs and against Zambia but did not see a single minute of action.

He remains a regular for Hapoel Beer-Sheva where he has scored one goal after six league games.

His last game for Hapoel was in Thursday’s UEFA Europa League home clash against FC FCSB which they lost 2-1 with him going off with a suspected knock.

With the World Cup ticket already secured, Ogu now has the opportunity to give the Eagles coaching crew something to think about in the midfield.

OLANREWAJU KAYODE (Girona, Spain)
After making his debut in the 2-0 defeat to South Africa in June, Olanrewaju Kayode has not been considered for invitation.

Kayode showed glimpses of what he can do when he was brought on in the game against South Africa as his speed and constant harrassment of the South African defence was evident.

It would not be out of place if he is given the chance to face Algeria as he could be a revelation for the team.

And since joining newly promoted Girona in the Spanish LaLiga on loan from Manchester City, Kayode is yet to miss a game.

He has played all Girona’s eight league games so far but has not scored his first goal for the club.

super-eagles-completesportsnigeria.com
Super Eagles Training in Uyo.

ANTHONY NWAKAEME (Hapoel Beer-Sheva)
Anthony Nwakaeme’s brilliant peformances in front of goal for Hapoel Beer-Sheva finally earned him an invitation to the Super Eagles.

Nwakaeme was among the 23 players invited by Gernot Rohr for the qualifiers against Cameroon in Uyo and Yaounde. He was also invited for the game against Zambia.

Unfortunately, Nwakaeme did not get the chance to play as he was an unused substitute in the games.

Making his debut against Algeria should be a near certainty as he can provide something different in the Eagles attack which has Odion Ighalo as the only out and out striker.

OLA AINA (Hapoel Beer-Sheva)
The former England junior international made his debut for Nigeria in the 1-0 win against Zambia in Uyo.

Giving a rookie his debut in such a crucial game would have stunned a lot of people but Ola Aina impressed with the little time he spent on the pitch.

A versatile defender who can play in either full-back positions, Aina will be provide good back-up especially in the right-back spot.

Against Zambia, Aina showed that he is not just all about defending as he raced forward and laid a good cutback cross which Victor Moses failed to finish off.

And the game against Algeria would be a good testing ground to really evaluate him.

MIKEL AGU (Bursaspor, Turkey)
Mikel Agu has come under serious criticism for his displays when called upon in the Super Eagles qualifiers.

Aside from the 4-0 win against Cameroon where he was not really examined properly, his performances in the games against Cameroon in Yaounde and Zambia in Uyo have not been encouraging.

But it could be argued that the nature of the games in Yaounde and Uyo ( versus Zambia) overwhelmed him hence is poor performances.

And the fact that he always get the nod whenever there is a substitution to be made in the Eagles’ midfield is an indication that the coaching crew have confidence in his ability.

Playing without any pressure, Agu should be given the chance to prove his doubters wrong one last time.

It would be surprising to note that Agu, playing for Bursaspor, made the Turkish Super League Team of the Week for last weekend, getting the highest rating of 9.3.

DELE AJIBOYE (Plateau United)
Another individual who deserves a look in for a place in the team against Algeria is Dele Ajiboye.
It is surprising that Ajiboye is just now being considered for Eagles invitation after emerging in the scene in 2007 with the Golden Eaglets.
Ajiboye was in the home-based Eagles squad that featured at this year’s West Africa Football Union (WAFU) Cup of Nations in Ghana, keepeing in one of the group games.
Also he helped Plateau United emerge champions of the Nigeria Professional Football League for the first time in their history. Luckily for him, he was invited for the games against Cameroon and Zambia as one of the reserve goakeepers.
It would not be a bad idea if Ajiboye is thrust into goal against Algeria or even come in as a second half substitute to show the stuff he is made of.

IBRAHIM ALHASSAN
The former Akwa United forward now plies his trade with Austrain top side Austria Wien. Before signing for Austria Wien, Alhassan was invited for the Eagles’ friendlies against Corsica and Togo where he did well.
He was in the home-based team that qualified for the 2018 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) holding in Morocco.Alhassan proved that he can be lethal in front of goal as he scored 12 goals for Akwa before joining Austria Wien.
And since joining Austria Wien, Alhassan has made four appearances, scoring one goal so far.
The lanky forward should be considered for a callup as he has shown in the past that he has a lot to contribute to the team.

KENNETH OMERUO (Kasimpasa, Turkey)
Since his last appearance in the 3-1 win against Algeria in Uyo, Kenneth Omeruo has not featured for the Super Eagles again in any competitive game.

Omeruo was invited for the game against Bafana Bafana of South Africa but did not play in the game.

Despite not being invited for subsequent national team games, Omeruo has been regular for his Turkish club Kasimpasa, appearing in five of their nine league games this season.

The Algeria match is the perfect opportunity to give the centre-back another opportunity.

super-eagles-completesportsnigeria.com
Kenneth Omeruo in action for Super eagles

OGHENEKARO ETEBO (Feirense, Portugal)
Oghenekaro Etebo’s last appearances for the Super Eagles were in the 2-0 defeat to South Africa in the 2019 AFCON qualifier and against Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in the 1-1 draw in Yaounde in a Russia 2018 qualifier.

At Feirense, Etebo is yet to miss any of Portuguese top flight game as he has appeared in all the club’s nine this season, scoring three goals.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/road-russia-10-super-eagles-players-feature-vs-algeria/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:46am On Oct 24, 2017
forgiveness:

it will be unfair not to take ezenwa to the world cup except he drops badly in form, the guy stepped in o save our ass against the might of cameroon and zambia, at worst he should be our third choice keeper, if a young home based enyeama could make the world cup in 2002 despite not playing a key role in our qualification then, why not an ezenwa that has played a major role so far.

let's stop all these sentiments of who to drop or take to the world cup, as far am concerned, 80-90% of the players who prosecuted the qualifiers especially against cameroon and zambia should be in the world cup squad, they showed character and good team spirit which is needed at a major competition like the world cup. Truth be told, we don't really have far better options than the present squad, we talk as if these new players we are mentioning are playing in best clubs in the world. My fear is that with the way we are going we may end up like we did in the last world cup where we took the likes of uchebo, ameobi, a tired yobo, michael babatunde [only God knows where he is now] to the world cup. The world cup is serious business with players who have big hearts which the current super eagles are showing.Beating three former african champions to the world cup ticket with a match to spare is no mere feat at all. A former and usual super eagles squad would have preferred to play draw in the Zambian match with the way the zambians were aggressive in their play to avoid injuries. We all know this.

I beg our journalists and all analysts not to kill the present super eagles current drive and team spirit with unnecessary calls for players inclusion who may ruin our world cup dreams. No player outside this current team can be more hungry than the players in the current squad. Let's not be moved by showmanship. Except here are major injuries in the current squad before I can take any serious call for new players that serious!

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1882) (1883) (1884) (1885) (1886) (1887) (1888) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dijon, Toylove, Phant0mStranger, Kundistrict(m), Philosopher1979 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.