Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11583042 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (16118) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:43pm On May 21, 2016
Congrats to Ahmed Musa and Aaron Samuel for emerging Russian league Champions with CSKA Moscow.

It is Samuel's first ever top flight league title.

Meanwhile, it is Musa's Third Russian topflight league title since joining from VVV Venlo of the Netherlands.

Congrats Musa especially... hope to see you in the EPL next season. #smiles

Beautiful way to sign off from the Russian league.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:07pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA boss congratulates Yobo
[/size]

Joseph Yobo

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has congratulated former Nigeria skipper Joseph Yobo on his testimonial slated for Friday in Port Harcourt.

FIFA, in a letter personally signed by Infantino and addressed to NFF president, wrote: “Many thanks for your letter dated 17 May 2016 and informing us of the testimonial match in honour of former international player and Nigeria Captain Joseph Yobo.

“On this occasion, allow me to congratulate and send my best wishes to Joseph Yobo for his future activities.”

The Nigeria Football Federation have released Super Eagles skipper John Mikel Obi and his assistant, Ahmed Musa, to honour Yobo in Friday’s testimonial game, leaving them out of the international friendly with Mali in France on the same day.

Joseph Yobo’s testimonial game, slated for the Adokiye Amiesiamaka Stadium, will feature a Team Joseph Yobo (comprising of Super Eagles’ players of Yobo’s generation) and a Rest of The World squad.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628912/FIFA-boss-congratulates-Yobo
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:12pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EPL-bound Ahmed Musa wins third Russian league title
[/size]

Ahmed Musa has now won the Russia league thrice

Ahmed Musa, who is set to move to the English Premier League this summer, won his third Russian league championship Saturday when CSKA Moscow won 1-0 at Rubin Kazan.

Nigeria international Ahmed Musa, who is close to joining up with Premier League champions Leicester, has previously won the league with the Russian army team in 2012/13 and 2013/14 seasons.

Top CSKA officials had disclosed the club blocked the flying winger’s transfer to Leicester in January because they wanted the Nigeria star to help them reclaim the championship.

CSKA needed just a draw to beat off the challenge of closest rivals Rostov on the final day of the season, but went a step further by grabbing all three points at Rubin Kazan to finish on 65 points.

Rostov won 2-0 at Terek Grozny to finish as runners-up on 63 points.

Ahmed Musa’s strike partner Alan Dzagoev put CSKA in front after 19 minutes.

The 23-year-old Ahmed Musa started and finished the game as top striker.

This season, he scored 13 goals in the league and one in the cup.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628764/EPL-bound-Ahmed-Musa-wins-third-Russian-league-title
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:13pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mum this league title is for you says Ahmed Musa
[/size]

Ahmed Musa and his mother

CSKA Moscow forward Ahmed Musa has told AfricanFootball.com his third Russian league title is for his mother.

Ahmed Musa’s father died when the striker was a little boy and his mother Sarah had to raise him.

The Nigeria international forward, who played for JUTH FC and Kano Pillars before he moved to Dutch club VVV Venlo, said his mother has been his No 1 fan and deserved every honour given her.

"I feel so excited and very happy with the title,” said the forward, who is set to soon complete his move to the English Premier League.

"I dedicate the league crown to my mum. She has been supportive from the day one, she is always there for me."

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628916/Mum-this-league-title-is-for-you-says-Ahmed-Musa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:13pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Akpeyi wins MOM, reveals stars quitting Chippa
[/size]

Nigeria goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi has scooped the Man of the Match award on the final day of the South Africa PSL season and afterwards admitted several top stars will be quitting his club Chippa United.

Chippa United won 2-0 at deposed champions Kaizer Chiefs to record their best-ever finish in the top flight.

Akpeyi pulled off several big saves to keep another clean sheet.

The former Warri Wolves shot stopper then revealed in a post-match interview Chippa will be losing several of their top stars.

“Some players will be leaving us, but I expect the club to replace them,” he said.

Akpeyi’s compatriot and Chippa skipper James Okwuosa will be one of the players departing.

The former Enugu Rangers skipper has agreed a three-year contract with another PSL side Orlando Pirates.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628781/Akpeyi-wins-MOM-reveals-stars-quitting-Chippa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:18pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Okwuosa agrees 3-year deal with Orlando Pirates
[/size]

James Okwuosa - From Chippa United to Orlando Pirates

by Samm Audu

Nigeria defender James Okwuosa has joined Orlando Pirates from another South African PSL side Chippa United, according to his agent.

“El Capitan James Okwuosa swapping the white and blue to White and Black almighty God be with you!” tweeted his agent Lawal Mohammed.

Further investigations by AfricanFootball.com showed the highly-rated central defender has signed a three-year contract with Pirates.

Okwuosa originally moved to South Africa to join Ajax Cape Town from Enugu Rangers in 2012.

His transfer to one of the country’s biggest clubs is believed to be a just reward for the class and commitment the defender has displayed over the years in South Africa.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628760/Okwuosa-agrees-3-year-deal-with-Orlando-Pirates
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:18pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Utaka nets 10th goal in Japan
[/size]

Peter Utaka

Nigeria striker Peter Utaka scored his 10th goal in Japanese J League in Sanfrecce Hiroshima's 3-1 home loss to Gamba Osaka.

Sanfrecce Hiroshima are ninth on the league table with 18 points in 12 games.

The former OB Odense of Denmark player scored the consolation goal in the 90th minute.

The 32-year-old former Shimizu S-Pulse striker won the Japan Super Cup in 2016.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628756/Utaka-nets-10th-goal-in-Japan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:24pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Akpan Bassey wants Eagles recall
[/size]

Akwa United goalkeeper Bassey Akpan

Akwa United goalkeeper Akpan Bassey has told AfricanFootball.com he hopes to return to the Super Eagles.

Bassey has had inconsistent stints with the Super Eagles, failing to establish himself firmly.

After a brief spell in the Vietnamese league, the 32-year has returned home, where he has been impressive for Akwa United this season, and he says he hopes his form will earn him another chance with the Eagles.

"I've been doing well and been training hard and I hope the Super Eagles coaches will see that,” Bassey told AfricanFootball.com

"It hasn't been an easy last couple of years, but I have been able to keep myself in good shape as my performances this season have shown."

He has played seven games for the 'Promise Keepers' this season, keeping four clean sheets.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628746/Akpan-Bassey-wants-Eagles-recall
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:24pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Zenke honoured by selection to Team of Season in Turkey
[/size]

Zenke

Ex-Nigeria youth international Simon Zenke has told AfricanFootball.com he is honoured to be selected in the Turkish PTT1 League Team of the Season (second tier).

Zenke, who scored the goal that sent Karabukspor to the Super League on the last day of the season, is in the best eleven selected by league body alongside countryman Nduka Ozokwo, who won the PTT1 league with Adanaspor.

"I am so excited with this recognition. I am very proud of it but I wouldn't have achieved it without the contributions of my teammates," Zenke told AfricanFootball.com

He scored five goals in the league and provided eight assists.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/628770/Zenke-honoured-by-selection-to-Team-of-Season-in-Turkey

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:26pm On May 23, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Congrats to Ahmed Musa and Aaron Samuel for emerging Russian league Champions with CSKA Moscow.

It is Samuel's first ever top flight league title.

Meanwhile, it is Musa's Third Russian topflight league title since joining from VVV Venlo of the Netherlands.

Congrats Musa especially... hope to see you in the EPL next season. #smiles

Beautiful way to sign off from the Russian league.
The best performing Super Eagles player based on results produced. He is a Champion. Congrats A. Musa. More strength to your muscles.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:26pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Igboun saves Russian club from relegation
[/size]

Igboun in action in Russia

Nigeria forward Sylvester Igboun was among the goals to help Russian Premier League team FC Ufa escape relegation after a 3-1 win over Spartak Moscow.

Ufa finished a place above relegation with 27 points from 30 games to pip Anzhi Makahckala on 26 points to safety.

Igboun converted a 13th minute penalty to give his team a 2-1 lead.

He scored three goals in the league this season.

His last goal was on November 11, 2015, in a 2-2 draw with Amkar Perm.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628768/Igboun-saves-Russian-club-from-relegation

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Victor Moses out of Nigeria's friendlies
[/size]

Victor Moses

Chelsea forward Victor Moses is out of Nigeria’s friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg this month, AfricanFootball.com has been told.

The Chelsea forward was one of 26 players called up for the international friendlies by interim coach Salisu Yusuf, but AfricanFootball.com can reveal he has now withdrawn from the games.

A top source at the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) confirmed to AfricanFootball.com on Saturday that the 25-year old will no longer be a part of the games.

“Victor Moses is definitely out of the games against Mali and Luxembourg,” the source informed.

It remains unclear why Moses has pulled out of the games, but AfricanFootball.com was told the player cited an injury for his withdrawal from the games.

“I understand he withdrew due to a knock he suffered for his club,” the source informed further.

Moses’ withdrawal brings the number of players who have withdrawn from the games to five.

CSKA Moscow striker Aaron Samuel is out through injury, while William Troost-Ekong has club engagements and will only join up after the Mali match.

Ahmed Musa and Mikel Obi have been excused to partake in the Joseph Yobo testimonial on the same day the Eagles play their Malian counterparts.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628852/Victor-Moses-out-of-Nigeria-s-friendlies
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA announce Africa's World Cup seeds
[/size]

Kelechi Iheanacho of Nigeria (right) challenges Ibrahim Sallah of Egypt in a 2017 AFCON qualifier recently

by Samm Audu

World football governing body FIFA will next month announce the top five seeds for the African zone of the 2018 World Cup qualifying tournament with Nigeria most likely to miss out.

FIFA will announce the top seeds between June 8 and 10 ahead of the main draw on June 24 in Cairo, Egypt.

The qualifiers to be played on a league basis of 20 teams divided into five groups will begin in October with the winners of the five groups qualifying for Russia 2018.

Experts say the current FIFA rankings will be one of the yardsticks to be used and this will most certainly work against Nigeria, who are now a disappointing 14th ranked team in Africa and are not likely to achieve any remarkable jump by the June rankings.

Africa’s top five ranked teams by this month are Algeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana , Senegal and Egypt in that order.

Previous World Cup records will also be taken into consideration and this could well help Nigeria’s cause after they reached the Round of 16 in Brazil two years ago.

With the seedings, Africa’s top teams will avoid themselves on the road to the next World Cup in Russia.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628898/FIFA-announce-Africa-s-World-Cup-seeds
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:38pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arokoyo says he could quit Turkish club
[/size]

Arokoyo (left) in action

Gaziantepspor defender Gbenga Arokoyo has kept the door open for a possible move away from the Turkish club as he has told AfricanFootball.com “anything can happen” in the summer transfer window.

The 23-year-old Arokoyo joined the Turkish Super Lig side in the summer of 2014 and has been a huge presence for the club since signing from Mjallby of Sweden, and while he remains open to a move, he was quick to point out he still has a contract with his present club.

“Anything can happen in football but for now I still have two more years left on my contract with my team,” he said to AfricanFootball.com.

The central defender began the season brightly for Gaziantepspor, starting most of their games, but lost his place when he returned from injury towards the end of the season.

He is one of the players invited by Nigeria for two friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg this month.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/628992/Arokoyo-says-he-could-quit-Turkish-club
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:39pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Europa League action for Moses Simon, Ndidi next season
[/size]

Simon Moses

Nigeria stars Moses Simon and Wilfred Ndidi will both feature in the Europa League next season after their clubs played out a goalless draw on the final day of the Belgian championship playoffs Sunday.

Moses Simon’s Gent were held to a scoreless draw by Genk, who parade Ndidi.

Simon was replaced in stoppage time, while Ndidi played the entire game.

Gent, who lost the championship to Club Brugge, will have automatic passage to the Europa League after they finished third in the playoffs, while Genk will feature in the qualifiers for the Europa League after they placed fourth.

Runners-up Anderlecht, who parade Nigeria striker Ezekiel Imoh, will feature in the Champions League qualifiers.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628937/Europa-League-action-for-Moses-Simon-Ndidi-next-season
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:41pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Kalu Uche boosts Almeria survival hopes
[/size]

Kalu Uche

Nigeria forward Kalu Uche scored a goal to help Almeria beat Real Oviedo 3-1 on Sunday and boost their chances of survival in the Spanish second-tier league.

Almeria are 18th on the league table with 43 points in 39 games, just a place above the relegation zone.

Uche scored in the 77th minute to give Almeria a 2-1 lead after coming on as a substitute.

He has now scored two goals in 12 league games.

The 33-year-old forward has played in India, Poland, Switzerland, Qatar and Turkey.

Nigeria midfielder Ramon Azeez was an unused substitute for Almeria.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628941/Kalu-Uche-boosts-Almeria-survival-hopes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:43pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
CSKA Moscow confirm English interests in Ahmed Musa
[/size]

Ahmed Musa

Russian champions CSKA Moscow have confirmed interests from England for Nigeria international Ahmed Musa, but insist nothing has been signed yet.

READ: Ahmed Musa dedicates league crown to mum

Ahmed Musa has been the subject of interest from English champions Leicester City, with a host of other clubs also mentioned to be interested in his services.

CSKA chief Roman Babayev has confirmed the interests in the 23-year-old, but said no deal has been agreed yet.

“I cannot say yes or no. It is no secret that Musa was and remains in very serious demand, particularly from the English teams,” Babayev told championat.

“Until documents are signed, the transfer is not complete and I will not speak about it.”

Musa is believed to be on his way out of Russia with surprise EPL champions Leicester City his most likely destination.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628953/CSKA-Moscow-confirm-English-interests-in-Ahmed-Musa
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:46pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ideye reveals he will miss Yobo Testimonial after Eagles recall
[/size]

Ideye

Nigeria striker Brown Ideye has said he would have wished to feature in Friday’s Joseph Yobo Testimonial, but for the fact he has also been recalled by the Super Eagles for friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg.

The Mali match will be played on the same day in France.

The Olympiacos hitman said it would have been a great personal honour to be part of the Yobo Testimonial.

"I really wanted to play. I had called and made enquiries last month concerning this particular game (Yobo Testimonial) because I didn’t know I would be invited to the national team,” he said.

"I was like let me come home with my family play the game then go to the United States of America for holidays with my family, but I got called up.”

He added: “I was really looking forward to the game, to play for him because I played under him and he is a very good guy and it would have been a great honour to support him."

Yobo became the first Nigerian to win 100 caps when he captained the Super Eagles in a 2014 World Cup game against France.

The Nigeria Football Federation have, however, released Eagles captain Mikel Obi and his assistant, Ahmed Musa, for the testimonial.
http://africanfootball.com/news/628998/Ideye-reveals-he-will-miss-Yobo-Testimonial-after-Eagles-recall
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:53pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
CSKA Moscow Would Like To Extend Aaron Samuel Contract If...
[/size]

CSKA Moscow coach Leonid Slutsky has stated the Russian champions would love to extend the contract of Aaron Samuel depending on the success of his surgery.

The Nigeria international is scheduled to undergo surgery in Germany at the end of May or first week of June after injuring his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg.

“We would like to continue cooperation. But some specifics will be after surgery,” said Slutsky to sport-express.ru.

“Everything depends on the situation of things - how serious the injury is, what period of rehabilitation, whether the injury have further consequences.

“Unfortunately, Dr. Einhorn, to which we send the players with a cruciate ligament injury, is on vacation. As far as I know, the operation is scheduled for the end of May.”

Aaron Samuel’s contract with the Muscovites will run out on May 31, 2016.

Igho Kingsley
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19145
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 4:55pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Federation In Race Against Time To Process Visa To France For Porto Defender Awaziem
[/size]

The Nigeria Football Federation is battling to process a visa for Porto rising star Chidozie Awaziem, with only four days left before the Super Eagles tackle Mali in an international friendly in Rouen, France.

It has come to light that the central defender does not have a valid residence permit which would have enabled him travel to France without a visa, and to make matters worse he only applied for a visa to France on Monday, May 23rd, according to the player’s intermediary.

“We are working on Chidozie getting a visa to France, the Nigeria Football Federation is trying to get him a visa from Abuja,” said agent Babawo Mohammed to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“The NFF officials are talking with Porto directly. He has not been issued the visa at this moment, he applied today.

“His residence permit is still being processed and will be out before next season. He was playing for Porto with a temporary residence permit.”

The 19-year-old Awaziem, who trained with the Golden Eaglets prior to his move to Portugal, played the first forty five minutes of Porto’s shoot-out loss to Sporting Braga in the final of the Taça de Portugal on Sunday.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19146
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 5:08pm On May 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Promising Nigeria Striker Aminu Hails Mikel,Musa For Helping Him Settle Into Super Eagles Squad
[/size]

Osmanlıspor striker Umar Aminu has opined that the Super Eagles handlers led by Salisu Yusuf have assembled a good team that can see off Mali and Luxembourg during the international friendlies that will take place in the next one week or so.

Aminu, 21, progressed through Nigeria’s age-grade teams before making his international bow against Egypt in an African Cup of Nations qualifier back in March.

“I do not like predicting the outcome of games, ninety minutes will tell but I know we have a good team,” Umar Aminu told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“We are taking the games seriously, all games are very important.”

Aminu has said the environment in the Super Eagles made him settle into the squad seamlessly, with the likes of John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow) and Echiejile (Monaco) all offering their support.

“I have not experienced any difficulties in the Super Eagles. Football is the same everywhere whether senior or junior it does not really matter to me.

“I do what I know how to do best whenever I get the opportunity and the (senior) players were all awesome, friendly and nice. They are amazing, ” added Umar Aminu.

In 28 outings for Osmanlıspor in the just concluded season, Aminu found the net eight times, including a brace against Galatasaray.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19142
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:27pm On May 24, 2016
Anynews about this weekend friendly match?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:05pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Yobo Testimonial 4pm kick-off, live on TV
[/size]

Joseph Yobo

Joseph Yobo’s testimonial on Friday will kick off by 4pm at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt and it will be shown live on SuperSport.

"At SuperSport, we take pride in our unwavering support of African talent and there are few talents more deserving of recognition than Joseph Yobo," Felix Awogu, SuperSport Nigeria general manager said.

"We are proud to be part of this celebration of one of the greatest players this country has ever produced and that is why we have this game on two of our premium channels, and also in full HD."

Among players expected to participate are Chelsea captain John Terry, African football legend Samuel Etoo Fils and former Nigerian legends Austin Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu.

Former Nigeria captain Vincent Enyeama will also reternal to the pitch in Port Harcourt, along with Julius Aghahowa, Yakubu Ayegbeni, Chidi Odiah and Danny Shittu.
http://africanfootball.com/news/629111/Yobo-Testimonial-4pm-kick-off-live-on-TV
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:05pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ikeme says Eagles will shine against Mali, Luxembourg
[/size]

Eagles Goalkeeper Carl Ikeme

Wolverhampton Wanderers goalkeeper Carl Ikeme has said Nigeria will get good results against Mali and Luxembourg in friendlies this month.

The Super Eagles play their Malian counterparts in the French town of Rouen this Friday, and then Luxembourg on the 31st and Ikeme said the team will get good results in the games.

“We have two games in Paris against Mali and in Luxembourg over the next week and am looking forward to joining up with the team and hopefully getting two good results,” he told his club’s official website.

Ikeme missed the team's all-important AFCON qualifier against Egypt in Alexandria due to an upset stomach.

The 29-year-old shot stopper also spoke about playing for Nigeria, and said it is something he loves doing.

“Playing for Nigeria is something I love doing, in particular with the atmosphere and the love you get from the fans,” he said.

Ikeme has played seven times for Nigeria and will make his eighth and ninth appearances if he features in both games.
http://africanfootball.com/news/629075/Ikeme-says-Eagles-will-shine-against-Mali-Luxembourg
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:06pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
VISA SAGA: Coaches Imama, Boboye may miss Eagles friendlies
[/size]

Rangers coach Imama Amapakabo has not been issued visa to travel with Eagles to France

Interim Super Eagles assistant coaches Imama Amapakabo and Kennerdy Boboye are now in danger of missing out on the friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg as they are yet to be issued entry visas to France, AfricanFootball.com can confirm

Interim head coach Salisu Yusuf, goalkeepers’ trainer Alloy Agu and the team doctor are the only members of the backroom staff to have been issued with entry visas as at 12pm on Tuesday, with the rest yet to receive their passports from the French embassy.

An official of the Nigeria Football Federation has told AfricanFootball.com that they will keep with the plan of leaving on Tuesday night, whether the visas are issued to the other backroom staff or not.

“We will leave the country by 11pm on Tuesday night and not all of the backroom staff have their visas,” said the official.

“The assistant coaches are yet to get theirs, so also is the team coordinator and we will leave tonight whether they get the visas or not.”

The Super Eagles play Mali on Friday in Rouen, France, and then Luxembourg four days later Luxembourg.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/629069/VISA-SAGA-Coaches-Imama-Boboye-may-miss-Eagles-friendlies
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:10pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ogu says he never doubted he will be champion of Israel
[/size]

John Ogu - Proudly Nigerian and a champion in Israel

Nigeria international John Ogu has told AfricanFootball.com he never doubted his club will be champions of Israel to end a 40-year wait.

The former Academica de Coimbra of Portugal midfielder said he believed in the team's hard work and dedication to excel.

"I knew we will be champions because of our hard work, dedication and determination. I never doubted our ability to win at any point during the season," Ogu told AfricanFootball.com

He also said he is excited to be part of history.

"I feel great to win the title. It's a great honour to be part of this history, the club have waited for 40 years to achieve this," Ogu said.

It was also the first-ever major trophy for the Nigeria midfielder.

By Olusola Alao
http://africanfootball.com/news/629023/Ogu-says-he-never-doubted-he-will-be-champion-of-Israel
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:14pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles off to France, 5 officials await visas
[/size]

Musa Mohammed off to France with Eagles

Super Eagles delegation from Nigeria will depart the country tonight for France ahead of Friday’s friendly against Mali even though several officials are yet to be granted entry visas.

Officials said four officials including caretaker coach Salisu Yusuf have been granted their visas, while other officials will know their fate later today.

Several holidaying players like Musa Mohammed, Brown Ideye, Elderson Echiejile and Ogneyi Onazi are expected to be part of the delegation from Nigeria.

Nigeria face Mali on Friday in Rouen with kick-off time at 7pm.

The other match will be in Luxembourg on May 31.

Both games are aimed at preparing for the qualifying tournament for the 2018 World Cup, which will begin in October.
http://africanfootball.com/news/629015/Eagles-off-to-France-5-officials-await-visas
[/b]

CC: AIG07
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:19pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
CSKA Moscow to offer Aaron Samuel contract after op
[/size]

Aaron Samuel (Left) in action

CSKA Moscow have confirmed they will sign Aaron Samuel on a permanent basis after he has undergone a successful surgery and recovers in time.

The Russian army club will offer the Nigeria international a three-year contract.

Samuel suffered a knee injury in a Russian Premier League game against Terek Grozny and will need a corrective surgery before he returns to action and CSKA coach Leonid Slutsky says a lot will depend on the surgery.

“We would like to continue cooperation (with Samuel), but some specifics will be after surgery,” he was quoted by sport-express.ru

“Everything depends on the situation of things - how serious the injury is, what period of rehabilitation, whether the injury has further consequences.”

Samuel has been on loan at CSKA from his Chinese club with an option for the Russian champions to sign him permanently.
http://africanfootball.com/news/629008/CSKA-Moscow-to-offer-Aaron-Samuel-contract-after-op
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:19pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Chelsea's Omeruo says Turkey loan has boosted his self-belief
[/size]

Omeruo in Turkey

Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo has told AficanFootball.com his confidence has been boosted after an enjoyable time at Turkish club Kasimpasa, where he spent the past season on loan.

The Nigeria international played 26 times for the Turkish club and would have posted more appearances but for the injuries he suffered during the course of the season.

Omeruo spent the previous two seasons on loan at Middlesbrough – then playing in the English Championship – and he also admits that playing in the top league has been good for him and has given him more confidence.

“I’ve enjoyed my football and I am more confident, playing in the first league felt good,” he told AfricanFootball.com

He is not expected to extend his stay at Kasimpasa and has been linked with some clubs in the EPL including Crystal Palace.

He will rejoin the deposed Premier League champions for pre-season, before a decision is made if he will stay at Stamford Bridge for the 2016/17 season or whether he will go out on loan again.

By Chris Oguguo
http://africanfootball.com/news/629006/Chelsea-s-Omeruo-says-Turkey-loan-has-boosted-his-self-belief
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:28pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Exclusive : Ex-Nigeria Skipper Joseph Yobo Pays SuperSport N10 Million To Broadcast Testimonial
[/size]

Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that South African television channel SuperSport has been paid N10 million naira by former Nigeria skipper Joseph Yobo and his camp to broadcast his testimonial on Friday, May 27th.

SuperSport Nigeria general manager Felix Awogu has stated with pride that the media giants are supporting and celebrating the retired Everton defender, perhaps as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility.

But that is far from the reality on ground as the TV station is set to make a huge profit for its live broadcast from the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium.

SuperSport Nigeria is expected to supply feeds to local Nigerian channel African Independent Television, who will then broadcast to the whole of Nigeria.

The CEO of Capital Oil, Ifeanyi Ubah and NICON Insurance are two of the major sponsors of the game between Yobo and Friends vs Super Eagles Stars, while Ikeja-based Airline, Dana Air, has offered to fly dignitaries from Abuja and Lagos to Port Harcourt (to and fro) as part of its contribution to the event.

The host state, Rivers State, is also bankrolling the testimonial and will take care of the flight expenses of the foreign players that will grace the ceremony.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19160
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:28pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arokoyo Finally Issued Visa; Ready To Jet Out To Normandy For Super Eagles Duty
[/size]

Gaziantepspor’s Gbenga Arokoyo is preparing to fly out to Rouen to join the Super Eagles squad ahead of their friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg, having been issued a visa to France on Tuesday afternoon.

The central defender has not featured for the national team since January 2012 when he was given a run-out against Angola in a friendly, and it is all but confirmed that he will add to that solitary cap in the coming days.

“Of course, I will travel to France for the game. I was just issued my visa and will definitely be there tomorrow, ”says Gbenga Arokoyo to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“We want to put in our best in the friendlies and make our nation proud. I am expecting victory, definitely.”

The Kwara Football Academy product would not have needed a visa to France if was in the possession of a Swedish residence permit, but spent only two years in the Scandinavian country before his shift to Gaziantepspor.

In the 2015-16 season, Arokoyo managed 15 appearances in the Turkish Super Lig.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19158
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:29pm On May 24, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Etebo Flies To Abuja To Join Super Eagles; Siasia Sends Midfielder Fitness Plan
[/size]

CD Feirense star Oghenekaro Etebo will fly to Abuja on Tuesday to join the Super Eagles backroom staff ahead of their trip to Normandy for the international friendly against Mali.

The attacking midfielder has a busy summer ahead of him as he is expected to link up with his beloved Dream Team VI after his trip to Europe with the Super Eagles.

“Etebo is to arrive in Abuja today from Warri, he will join the Nigeria delegation jetting to France tonight,” said Etebo’s agent, Eddy Ogbemudia, to allnigeriasoccer.com.

“He will be back with the team after the friendlies, his Club is currently on break.”

Nigeria U23s coach, Samson Siasia, has stayed in constant touch with one of his favourite pupils and officially sent to him specific fitness sessions he will have to undergo before joining his squad in Abuja next month.

“The Nigeria U23s have sent him a training regime. He is in the plans of coach Samson Siasia and will join the team when they return from Korea, ” added Ogbemudia.

The 20-year-old Etebo finished top scorer at the 2015 Africa U23 Cup of Nations and was voted the Most Promising Talent of the Year at the CAF Awards in January.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19156
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (16118) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), Ajd19, komekn(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.