Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,987 members, 7,806,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11570824 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (16112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:40am On Jun 16, 2016
elov:

long time ma'am how's u?
im fine sir. Why you dey scarce?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elov(m): 11:16am On Jun 16, 2016
juhan:
im fine sir. Why you dey scarce?

I just dey observe
observation is d best teacher smiley smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:15am On Jun 24, 2016
Nigeria knows it fate today as 2018 world cup qualifier draw holds today in Cairo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 10:43am On Jun 24, 2016
AIG07:
Nigeria knows it fate today as 2018 world cup qualifier draw holds today in Cairo.
pls when is d draw
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2016
best case situation tunisia, nigeria, congo, libya
worst case algeria (replace with ivory coast or ghana),nigeria, cameroon, burkina faso
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Akinkunmi0777(m): 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2016
Pls let know the draw live.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ddone: 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ddone: 4:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
The groups:

Group A:
Tunisia
Libya
DRC
Guinea

Group B:
Zambia
Cameroon
Algeria
Nigeria

Group C:
Gabon
Mali
Cote d'l voire
Morocco

Group D:
Senegal
S/Africa
B/Faso
C. Verde

Group E:
Ghana
Egypt
Congo Brazzaville
Uganda

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2016
jesus, so no nations cup no world cup too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 24, 2016
I don't think we have a team at the moment that can qualify from that group B.

No team, no coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 5:15pm On Jun 24, 2016
ddone:
The groups:

Group A:
Tunisia
Libya
DRC
Guinea

Group B:
Zambia
Cameroon
Algeria
Nigeria

Group C:
Gabon
Mali
Cote d'l voire
Morocco

Group D:
Senegal
S/Africa
B/Faso
C. Verde

Group E:
Ghana
Egypt
Congo Brazzaville
Uganda

That group of ours is a group of death, imagine, having the likes of algeria and cameroon, am very sure we have zambia tablets so they will not give us too much headache. The NFF needs to get their house in order and hire an highly tactical coach for this SE. @Ddone when will the qualifiers start. @casket that ur moniker na ojuju calabar o smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by achimotan(m): 5:28pm On Jun 24, 2016
Go Ghana.Lets whip the Egyptians again

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 24, 2016
The Super eagles players have reportedly thrown their weight behind Salisu Yusuf to become the permanent coach of the team. So, I believe the team would play their hearts out during the qualifiers.

Nigeria is in a tough group, and there is little margin for error. However, the battle for the ticket from group B, will in the end, be between Nigeria and Algeria. The likes of Feghouli, Slimani and Mahrez would trouble every team in that group!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamord(m): 5:43pm On Jun 24, 2016
achimotan:
Go Ghana.Lets whip the Egyptians again
Wow. What a fixture. Nigeria is definitely in the group of death. For Ghana we have to be careful of Congo and Egypt. They can pull an upset.. With the lineups.. Am sure we are going in to see some good football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
Not an easy group, Nigeria should forget the salisu guy n go for a good coach, we know Nigerians coaches, they always show glimpse of brilliance bt when it matter most theyy go fall ur hand
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamord(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
chrisooblog:
best case situation tunisia, nigeria, congo, libya
worst case algeria (replace with ivory coast or ghana),nigeria, cameroon, burkina faso
your guess was close. Algeria and cameroon made it through. It will be a case of who is more hungry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by groundnutoil(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
We are in deep shit

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by groundnutoil(m): 5:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
We are in deep shit cry cry

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ddone: 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
lakesidepapa:

That group of ours is a group of death, imagine, having the likes of algeria and cameroon, am very sure we have zambia tablets so they will not give us too much headache. The NFF needs to get their house in order and hire an highly tactical coach for this SE. @Ddone when will the qualifiers start. @casket that ur moniker na ojuju calabar o smiley

The qualifiers will start in October this year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by osasyankee(m): 6:03pm On Jun 24, 2016
what about the fixtures? If we can meet cameroun first, better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2016
lakesidepapa:

abi nah, moniker nah distraction...the issue is the World cup qualifier grouping.

I am optimistic that Nigeria wil spring surprise in that group..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 7:42pm On Jun 24, 2016
with super eagles n nff, dnt be optimistic. if we could not qualify in a group with chad, egypt & tanzania, a group with sudan, congo & south Africa, is it the one with Algeria, cameroon & stubborn zambia we want to qualify from? Forget it! Our boys don't have the heart, they will fail when it matters most & our football administrators are even worst off. Better luck next time naija! We ve nvr gone to wc in a grup with Cameroon neither have we won an afcon final against them(×4).

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:55pm On Jun 24, 2016
zoboizee:
with super eagles n nff, dnt be optimistic. if we could not qualify in a group with chad, egypt & tanzania, a group with sudan, congo & south Africa, is it the one with Algeria, cameroon & stubborn zambia we want to qualify from? Forget it! Our boys don't have the heart, they will fail when it matters most & our football administrators are even worst off. Better luck next time naija! We ve nvr gone to wc in a grup with Cameroon neither have we won an afcon final against them(×4).

I swear I hate people like you. This isn't being realistic, this isn't even pessimism, this is outright stupidity and nonsense talk. So we can't beat thesame Cameroon that we hammered 3-0 recently with possibly our worse coach ever?! When was the last time we met Algeria? In the 2010 nations cup when we weren't so good yet we beat them. What of Zambia? Guy go and check yourself abeg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:08pm On Jun 24, 2016
Mickael2:

I swear I hate people like you. This isn't being realistic, this isn't even pessimism, this is outright stupidity and nonsense talk. So we can't beat thesame Cameroon that we hammered 3-0 recently with possibly our worse coach ever?! When was the last time we met Algeria? In the 2010 nations cup when we weren't so good yet we beat them. What of Zambia? Guy go and check yourself abeg
Oga, you hate him for looking at the things on ground and making an informed opinion? You doubt his sanity for saying a team whose NFF is in disarray would not have the organization to play a quality team like Algeria?

Let me ask you: what gives you the confidence that the Eagles will qualify?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 9:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
Mickael2:

No big deal. With NFF and Eagles, we shall see. Hope u wont lose ur blood pressure to it.smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tizblink: 9:45pm On Jun 24, 2016
Hehe! and we get to play Algeria first. Nigeria coming outta thz group is one miracle I can't wait to see happen
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2016
Our grp is what u get when seeding is done according to that so called "Fifa ranking".

What is my take on our grp?

I have been keenly following our WC qualifiers since qualifiers for Italia '90 which commenced late 1988. I will say this is our toughest grouping.

When FIFA revised the seeding criteria and demoted us from pot2 to pot3, i knew any grp dat Nigeria falls in would b d grp of death.

What jst happened is the best teams from each of pots1,2,3&4 have been placed in grp B.

Men, this is a difficult grp in deed. It is even tougher than a typical WC grp. Cameroun, Nigeria and Algeria were at d 2014 WC, with Nigeria and Algeria reaching d second rnd. Zambia are 2012 Afcon winners-a highly gifted and experienced side.

Historically matches involving: Nigeria vs Cameroun, Nigeria vs Algeria and Nigeria vs Zambia have always proven to be explosive.
Who will ever forget the Nigeria vs Algeria clash right from 1980 AFCON to 1982 WC qualifiers double header played in 1981. What abt d Maroc '88 semi final and Algiers '90 opener and final match. We also faced Algeria enroute qualification to 1994 & 2006 WC. I can tell u dat each of those games was massive.

I need nt tell us how massive all d Nigeria vs Cameroun games have been. Right from the 1984 AFCON final, 1988 AFCON final, 1990 WC qualifiers, 1992 AFCON 3rd place match, 2000 AFCON final and 2004 AFCON quarter final.They were all big matches with big results.

Lastly Zambia. Our rivalry with Zambia may nt b as comparable with that of Algeria and Cameroun bt d rivalry is still strong. Right from 1994 AFCON to 2010 AFCON and 2013 AFCON. They have all been very close encounters. I personally see Zambia as d best footballing nation in the South of Africa.

Playing in Algiers, Yaounde and Lusaka can be some of d most dangerous places. It is always a full fledged war.However, thank God we are not going to Abidjan, Accra and Cairo. These 3 grnds to me are d most dangerous to visit.

Enough said.
So what are our chances?

Firstly, i will say I am so excited. I cant wait for the tourney to begin. Yes, bc this is also tougher than a typical AFCON grp. It is like d 2018 WC itself.
Put aside FIFA ranking. We know Nigeria is abt d greatest footballing nation in that grp. I am nt saying that makes us the favorites to go through bt dat makes us d most feared team in that grp.
Yes. Nigeria is d most unpredictable team in dat grp. Nigeria is d only team in dat grp that can raise a team dat can beat Brazil and subsequently find it difficult to beat a team like Tanzania. It simply means we have what it takes to top dat grp and also end at d bottom.

We have d potential and quality of players to do it. The area we always get it wrong is the NFF vs coaches rifts, choice of match venue, choice of players by d coaches and the underrating of d weaker opponents in our grp.

Nigreria can top that grp.

The NFF firstly needs to appoint a coach now. We need to chose a befiting home ground now. No body should pls take us to Kaduna or Kano where d weather would force us to drop some certain players. Abuja or Uyo to me would b appropriate. We have our final 2017 AFCON qualifiers game in September. Let us play dem on our chosen home ground and with d best of our players we hope to use to presecute the WC qualifiers. We can also use dat window to play another African team in a friendly to also prepare for d WC qualifiers.

The Rio Olympics is another opportunity for us to fully assess some of these young lads.

I know we are in a difficult group bt we all have to b optimistic.

By and large, we have seen us miss out at d 2006 WC and 2011, 2015 & 2017 AFCON. We must have developed a thick skin by now.
Anything can happen. We can only hope for d best for the team.

cc: TheGoodJoe, forgiveness, TheSuperNerd, safarigirl, Tbaba1234, terzurum5, Michael2, confun, joseph1033 ................

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:31pm On Jun 24, 2016
ddone:
The groups:

Group A:
Tunisia
Libya
DRC
Guinea

Group B:
Zambia
Cameroon
Algeria
Nigeria

Group C:
Gabon
Mali
Cote d'l voire
Morocco

Group D:
Senegal
S/Africa
B/Faso
C. Verde

Group E:
Ghana
Egypt
Congo Brazzaville
Uganda
Hmmm... What can I call this?
Mehn that group is a kinda group Ghana, cote d'ivore n senegal won't pray to be... They must be smiling @us se we don enter one chance.

The last friendly matches our darling team played, was against d minnows in football(LUXEMBOURG N MALI) n our next match is against Tanzania in september(if i'm right). That means no room for big match prior to d qualifiers.
We need to win atleast all of our home matches before negotiating our chances of qualifying.

Our only hope of harnessing a strong n gelled team is d olympics. But with d list Sia1 just released today with our already established players not likely to be release has increased our odds of qualification.

Abeg make I sha keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:32pm On Jun 24, 2016
joseph1013:
Oga, you hate him for looking at the things on ground and making an informed opinion? You doubt his sanity for saying a team whose NFF is in disarray would not have the organization to play a quality team like Algeria?

Let me ask you: what gives you the confidence that the Eagles will qualify?

Do you want a straight answer? Because we have gone through worse. We have qualified from impossible positions before, not to mention that the calibre of players on ground right now is just incredible,we still have months to put our house in order and you are already sounding the funeral bells right now? That is not how its done, if by september we are still in disarray then we will all join your funeral procession for the SE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:37pm On Jun 24, 2016
The group tire me o@ Icon4s, do you by any chance know the fixtures and how it will be played? If we can start the first game against Zambia at home, then play Cameroon away then play a double header with Algeria then I will fancy our chances. But if we start with an away game against Algeria! That one would just not be right

SirGoodjoe and TheSuperNerd never come, they are still wondering why such a thing would happen to us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:41am On Jun 25, 2016
Mickael2:

Do you want a straight answer? Because we have gone through worse. We have qualified from impossible positions before, not to mention that the calibre of players on ground right now is just incredible,we still have months to put our house in order and you are already sounding the funeral bells right now? That is not how its done, if by september we are still in disarray then we will all join your funeral procession for the SE
Then by definition, based on your answer, you are the optimistic one, while he is the realistic one.

While you say we have emerged from such in the past, it is not true. This is the most difficult group we have ever been put in for a World Cup qualification. He is right to say that in the recent past we have flunked far easier groups. Therefore judging the future by the past, he is just been real about our chances especially when you add the NFF factor.

I don't see how his sanity is in question here and why he deserves to be hated.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:27am On Jun 25, 2016
Actually, Our first game in that "Hell, Blood, Thunder and Death" group is NOT the "Almighty" Algeria.... wink

It's actually Zambia away from home.

Here's Nigeria's Line-up of Fixtures:

Oct 3: Zambia vs Nigeria

Nov 7: Nigeria vs Algeria

Aug 28, 2017: Nigeria vs Cameroon

Sept 2, 2017: Cameroon vs Nigeria

Oct 2, 2017: Nigeria vs Zambia

Nov 6, 2017: Algeria vs Nigeria

In all my life of following the Beautiful game, Nigeria have never ever been in such "Hell, Blood, Thunder and Death" group.... not even our World cup groups of 1994, 1998, and 2002 beat this.

Well, Na so we am.... But oddly enough and surprisingly too... I am kinda looking forward to the qualifiers.

This is the period where our rising new golden generation matures.... whether they fail or succeed is one matter but their maturity is sure.

After the period of Russia 2018 (I hope to see us there against all hellish and deathly odds), Nigerian football will begin to make her marks again because by then Our Rising And New Golden Generation would have attained some big level of maturity as A TEAM. smiley

My Mind is fixed on the Post-Russia 2018 era...... wink

BUT ON RUSSIA 2018, AGAINST THESE ODDS OF ALL ODDS, THESUPERNERD REMAINS OPTIMISTIC.... smiley

You may beat us, but we won't be down long.... I promise. **winks**

tizblink:
Hehe!
and we get to play Algeria first.
Nigeria coming outta thz group is one miracle I can't wait to see happen

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (16112) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.