Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,161 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:20 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11319809 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (16040) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mickael2:

you said it perfectly well! The level of confidence nigerians had prior to that game against Denmark was insane. I can even remember that match well enough, my mom came into the parlour when the match was about to start and was like 'who are we playing today?', even before my junior bro could finish pronouncing Denmark she said 'mtchw, I will only watch the game against Brazil'. She totally rubbished Denmark, what happened then I'd never know I swear, since then she doesn't watch our games anymore, sad sad story

My Dad also stopped following the Super Eagles after that game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

Nigeria played 4 4 2, then so i doubt Mikel will displace Oliseh or Okocha. Victor Moses in his current form will possibly have a starting shirt on one of the wings.

Ikeme and Enyeama will replace the France '98 Rufai.

Who Moses for displace? Finidi or Babangida?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2016
And by the way, I am a big Victor Moses fan but I don't think that he could've benched either Finidi George or Emmanuel Amuneke in the 1994 Super Eagles team. And he can't bench Daniel Amokachie either.

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2016
Kog45:
Thank u for good observation,d France 98 eagles squad was an over hype team.
Hype ke?

That team was the best crop of Nigerian players that have ever been put together.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Oya compare:

Okocha vs Mikel

Finidi vs Moses.

grin

Enyeama is not in this current crop na.
Left to me, I will take Moses over Finito. But against Spain, I can accommodate the two of them. I will just take out Garba Lawal or Mutiu Adepoju.

Mikel will replace Oliseh not Okocha.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:33pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

[color]Left to me, I will take Moses over Finito. But against Spain, I can accommodate the two of them. I will just take out Garba Lawal or Mutiu Adepoju.

Mikel will replace Oliseh not Okocha. [/color]

DID YOU EVER SEE GEORGE FINIDI PLAY?

Mikel replace Oliseh?

In the current set up it is Onazi vs Oliseh and Mikel vs Okocha.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:36pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon79:

Are you for real

Listen, as a coach, Sunday Oliseh is clueless. But as a player, Oliseh at his best is world class. Definitely one of the best DMs in the world at that time. In those days, the Super Eagles always struggle each time Oliseh is having an off day. In fact, one reason why we got trashed by Demark in the '98 world cup was because Oliseh was MIA in that game. That's how influential he is to our game.

O pari
Nigeria's greatest ever players, Mikel is in top 3. Oliseh is not in top 7. That says alot.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:37pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Mikel replace Oliseh?

he absolutely did not. Finidi had everything, from speed to making the right decision to tracking back perfectly well. You can't be rated higher than Figo then if you aren't outstanding. I can't even believe this, or na Babaginda he go bench? The guy was a speed demon, you think Moses knows how to run at defenders? Watch Babangida, the guy's speed and build will even make you fall down when he is coming

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:38pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Nigeria's greatest ever players, Mikel is in top 3. Oliseh is not in top 7. That says alot.

come again? Who put Mikel in the top 3? Nna eh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Left to me, I will take Moses over Finito. But against Spain, I can accommodate the two of them. I will just take out Garba Lawal or Mutiu Adepoju.

Mikel will replace Oliseh not Okocha.

Garba lawal was more of a utility player, that's a bench piece more or less. Let me ask you sincerely, what do you know about Finidi George?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Mikel replace Oliseh?

Of course I did. I'm telling you that I'm taking this rejuvenated Moses over Finidi. This Moses is a machine. That performance against Man City is beyond incredible.

And like I said, I can use both of them in our matches.

I also watched Mikel in his greatest matches, including a most world-class man of the match performance in the Champions league final. I will take Mikel over Oliseh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:42pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mickael2:

come again? Who put Mikel in the top 3? Nna eh
Tell me your top 10. Let's compare notes.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Of course I did. I'm telling you that I'm taking this rejuvenated Moses over Finidi. This Moses is a machine. That performance against Man City is beyond incredible.

I also watched Mikel in his greatest matches, including a most world-class man of the match performance in the Champions league final. I will take Mikel over Oliseh.

Oliseh was in the Borrusia team that wrestled the Bundesliga from Bayern twice! Do you think an outsider winning the bundesliga is easy? This isn't the champions league where you play one match in two months, he consistently maintained the same performance for an entire season!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:44pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Moses will definitely replace Babangida.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

He could replace Lawal on the left. He could compete with those on the right on current form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Tell me your top 10. Let's compare notes.

thank you, top 10 not top3.

If I were to choose the best players from the two generations under review, it would be Okocha, Kanu, Enyeama, Finidi, OLISEH, Moses, Mikel, Babayaro and Okechukwu. Mind you, I mean if I were to choose them when they are in top form, I mean their possible best conditions, I am not considering what they have achieved or their longetivity just who has the best abilities in top form.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:50pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mickael2:

Oliseh was in the Borrusia team that wrestled the Bundesliga from Bayern twice! Do you think an outsider winning the bundesliga is easy? This isn't the champions league where you play one match in two months, he consistently maintained the same performance for an entire season!
Bros, no start with the lies na. Oliseh won the league only once with Dortmund. 2001-2002.

So by your submission, Vardy is better than Aguero because he won the EPL last year as top scorer?

You never saw Mikel churn out consistent performances over the years at Chelsea? Plays very well as a DM for Chelsea, and between the months plays as AM for the Eagles. E easy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mickael2:

thank you, top 10 not top3.

If I were to choose the best players from the two generations under review, it would be Okocha, Kanu, Enyeama, Finidi, OLISEH, Moses, Mikel, Babayaro and Okechukwu. Mind you, I mean if I were to choose them when they are in top form, I mean their possible best conditions, I am not considering what they have achieved or their longetivity just who has the best abilities in top form.
A list that does not have Yekini is not a credible list. Yours is a laughable list. Cele where Yekini does not feature?

1. Kanu
2. Okocha
3. Mikel

That's Eagles top 3. You obviously underestimate the impact and influence of Mikel in his generation in the Super Eagles. Mikel is the most decorated Nigerian player (behind Kanu?)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:56pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Do u know Finidi was among the earliest wingers that re-invented wing play?

Dp u know Finidi was at a pt described as the best Right winger in the world even though a player like Luis Figo also existed?

The only winger in the Super Eagles pf today that plays something that looks like Finidi's Alex Iwobi.

Victor Moses for Finidi ke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:57pm On Dec 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

He could replace Lawal on the left. He could compete with those on the right on current form.

What was Garba Lawal's position(s) in the team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:00pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Moses will definitely replace Babangida.

I dnt think so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:01pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
A list that does not have Yekini is not a credible list. Yours is a laughable list. Cele where Yekini does not feature?

1. Kanu
2. Okocha
3. Mikel

That's Eagles top 3. You obviously underestimate the impact and influence of Mikel in his generation in the Super Eagles. Mikel is the most decorated Nigerian player (behind Kanu?)

Mikel wuold nt have had a starting shirt in that France '98 Midfield.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

Do u know Finidi was among the earliest wingers that re-invented wing play?

Dp u know Finidi was at a pt described as the best Right winger in the world even though a player like Luis Figo also existed?

The only winger in the Super Eagles pf today that plays something that looks like Finidi's Alex Iwobi.

Victor Moses for Finidi ke?
Do you know Victor Moses is regarded as the best wingback in the world today? I will take a player who can defend, dribble, cross and score goals. He can player the midfield, defense and attack.

Bros, I take Victor Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
Elder enomakos, i sight u. Welcome wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Bros, no start with the lies na. Oliseh won the league only once with Dortmund. 2001-2002.

So by your submission, Vardy is better than Aguero because he won the EPL last year as top scorer?

You never saw Mikel churn out consistent performances over the years at Chelsea? Plays very well as a DM for Chelsea, and between the months plays as AM for the Eagles. E easy?

My mistake, I didn't 'browse' it so it came straight off my head. But do you think it was easy? How many league titles has Chelsea won with Mikel as the starting DMF?! Bros, DMF is different from forward please, that comparison is absurd. Kante is obviously better than Matic, Essien and a host of other players who have won the champions league as regulars, how many league titles has he won? Just one! To show you the essential nature of a DMF. You might not win a game if your striker does not show up, but once your DMF is in the game you cannot lose
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:03pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Do you know Victor Moses is regarded as the best wingback in the world today? I will take a player who can defend, dribble, cross and score goals. He can player the midfield, defense and attack.

Bros, I take Victor Moses.

Too early. Let us see him maintain this form even till next season.

Finidi was up there for almost a decade!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

1. Kanu
2. Okocha
3. Mikel

I guess you didn't understand what I aptly pointed out. I said the two generations, or rather the two world cup teams. Let me ask, do you know why Yekini did not start that match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:05pm On Dec 05, 2016
Icon4s:

I dnt think so.
Babangida is a mere upgraded Pius Ikedia. Take ball, run with it with the head looking at the ground to the corner flag, and cross hoping for the best.

He's got nothing on Victor Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:07pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Babangida is a mere upgraded Pius Ikedia. Take ball, run with it with the head looking at the ground to the corner flag, and cross hoping for the best.

Ok, you didn't watch Babangida well enough. Wait sef, against Tanzania what was Moses doing? Exactly what you just explained now! Take the ball, focus your face on the ground and run to wherever you want with it. Like Icon4s mentioned, let him be consistent enough

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 8:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
Mickael2:

I guess you didn't understand what I aptly pointed out. I said the two generations, or rather the two world cup teams. Let me ask, do you know why Yekini did not start that match?
Personally, this is the most absurd thing I've heard today. Yekini will not make a combined two world cup team. Oga, Yekini will make the first eleven of Nigeria from 1960 to 2016. Don't let people hear this football heresy abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:09pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

1. Kanu
2. Okocha
3. Mikel

Like I said, if I were to choose BASED ENTIRELY ON TOP FORM AT THAT MOMENT. Haba I mentioned it there na, I told you I was going to choose from the two teams, the one we have presently and the one we had then, didn't you get that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:11pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:

Did u see Babangida when he was at Ajax?

Victor Moses' best game for Nigeria ever was against Algeria in Uyo. He has largely.been disappointing in his entire career.

Go watch Nig-Gha 2000 & see Babangida in action. Even France '98.

(1) (2) (3) ... (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) ... (16040) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10cedes, lordofstrings, tikristinimi21, elyte89, zuchyblink(m), do4luv14(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.