Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,868 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:16 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (373) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11323674 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:50pm On Dec 05, 2016
Iheanacho Set To Be Handed FINAL Opportunity To Impress Guardiola Before Jesus Starts City Career

Kelechi Iheanacho, 20, is set to be handed a final opportunity to impress Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola before Brazil wonderkid Gabriel Jesus starts his career with the Etihad
outfit.

City have confirmed via their official webpage that Sergio Aguero will miss games against Leicester City, Watford, Arsenal and Hull City following his red card versus Chelsea last weekend.

And it is thought that Iheanacho would be a
direct replacement for the Argentina star, just as was the case when he was suspended for the
Manchester derby.

The Nigerian has seen his first team opportunities limited in recent weeks, with only 13 minutes of game time under his belt from a possible 450 in the last five matches in the Premier League.

A loan move for Iheanacho in the January transfer window is being mooted, but his representatives are confident that he will remain with the Citizens and fight for a first team spot.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21310

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2016
enomakos:
yeah i remember denilson one of the best dribbler then

Another flop for Betis, they were just wasting money then. Denilson could do lots of leg-overs with no end product.

Finidi would have been best served if he moved to a big club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Here is a list of the greatest 50 wingers. Figo is 6th, there is no Finidi:
http://discusssoccer.myfreeforum.org/archive/the-greatest-wingers-of-all-times__o_t__t_47.html
Please search for the list of the 50 greatest midfielders as in 10s in the world. You might possibly be shocked to find that Jay Jay's name might be missing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
I'm not disputing what you said. I'm only asking for source that he was the best winger in the world like I hear people say all the time. It's also telling that even though it is claimed that he was the best, he left Ajax for Betis when the best in the era went to Barcelona and Madrid in Spain.

Denilson as the most expensive player in the World, joined Betis. Betis broke the record for Denilson's signature. That is enough to explain why Finidi went to Betis. It was the huge pay.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:40pm On Dec 05, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Iheanacho Set To Be Handed FINAL Opportunity To Impress Guardiola Before Jesus Starts City Career

Kelechi Iheanacho, 20, is set to be handed a final opportunity to impress Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola before Brazil wonderkid Gabriel Jesus starts his career with the Etihad
outfit.

City have confirmed via their official webpage that Sergio Aguero will miss games against Leicester City, Watford, Arsenal and Hull City following his red card versus Chelsea last weekend.

direct replacement for the Argentina star, just as was the case when he was suspended for the
Manchester derby.

The Nigerian has seen his first team opportunities limited in recent weeks, with only 13 minutes of game time under his belt from a possible 450 in the last five matches in the Premier League.

A loan move for Iheanacho in the January transfer window is being mooted, but his representatives are confident that he will remain with the Citizens and fight for a first team spot.

The media have tried their best to pin these boys against each other, I think they can both make magic together.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:42pm On Dec 05, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

outfit.

Manchester derby.

Loan move for Iheanacho with only two strikers in the club. Aguero and Iheanacho. Gabriel Jesus will also need time to adjust to the league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
tbaba1234:

Another flop for Betis, they were just wasting money then. Denilson could do lots of leg-overs with no end product.

Same thing with Okocha, Amokachi and Uche Okechukwu who left to Turkey for the money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
goldfish80:

You forgot to mention the Rednapp family. They are like the football version of the Kenedies.

I have a cousin who is a professional footballer now in Spain.
I was oportuned to talk to Pere Guardiola and Henk ten Carte before he went on trials with with the Stoke U21's.
Very sweet talking cool guy.

I know Stoke very well haven't been there for about a year, Earl Barret (former Everton player) is a youth coach there.

It's a club thats filled with arrangements particularly with thier recruitment.

About three years ago I went with a Congolese U18 player there on trial he played against the development squad, he scored 5 goals in that one match, and they didn't even ask what his name was.

I decided not to have anything to do with them after that show of shame.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:52pm On Dec 05, 2016
goldfish80:

The agents use their relationship with the managers to get their players signed up on the agreement that a certain percentage/cut of the players salary/allowance goes to the manager.

These sort of deals usually involves African players.

When Portsmouth signed alot of African players like Utaka, Papa Diop, Fae, Diao, Colly, Muntari, Kanu etc... You don't want to know what Harry Rednapp made from those deals.

That might be an isolated case but that does not tell me that every coach who has a brother that is an agent is a scammer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

That might be an isolated case but that does not tell me that every coach who has a brother that is an agent is a scammer.

Harry is just like a Korofo policeman taking bribe at check points, he's that bad.

Too be brutally honest the whole agent thing that goldfish80 describes is actually an understatement it's much worse.

All deals are done on primarily on relationship. Your Fifa registration isn't worth a carrot without network. Having a brother as Manager or sometimes even as a major player will open doors for you.

Chris Wellbeck is Danny's brother he's not a major player but he made sweet money on the move from United to Arsenal. Money that gives leverage.

The conflicts of interest make corruption inevitable, the subject matter is subjective so it's so easy for vested interests to over ride best practice.

Goldfish80 it's not just African players it's all players, money no get colour.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:57pm On Dec 05, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Same thing with Okocha, Amokachi and Uche Okechukwu who left to Turkey for the money.

Sad but those doors were not open yet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:20pm On Dec 05, 2016
komekn:

Harry is just like a Korofo policeman taking bribe at check points, he's that bad.

Too be brutally honest the whole agent thing that goldfish80 describes is actually an understatement it's much worse.

All deals are done on primarily on relationship. Your Fifa registration isn't worth a carrot without network. Having a brother as Manager or sometimes even as a major player will open doors for you.

Chris Wellbeck is Danny's brother he's not a major player but he made sweet money on the move from United to Arsenal. Money that gives leverage.

The conflicts of interest make corruption inevitable, the subject matter is subjective so it's so easy for vested interests to over ride best practice.

At the end of the day it is who u know, that is the way of life not just football. If Iheanacho gets sold his father will stand a chance of making cash but that is completly legal. Being a relative might get u in the door but u still have to make the right deals or else u would be out of clients.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:24pm On Dec 05, 2016
terzurum5:

Just imagine if he were to continue training without playing time till next year January. Hmmm

Thank God yesterday's match exposed a lot of things about Nacho.

Nach o needs good training and playing time under Pep. Anything outside this is disservice.

At the end, I am repeating the same thing and this talk does not change my point.

I said, I am more interested in the training than playing time. I can give more players who were without regular playing time.

Thiago Alcantara did not have much playing time at Barcelona. He went to Bayern Munich and broke records.

So, did the benching stop him from reaching his potential? This is a clear fact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:34pm On Dec 05, 2016
komekn:

Rednapp is as bad and corrupt as they come. He's even involved in betting with his players on their own games. Its absolutely mental.

The relationship between Raiola (mourinho's agent and friend) and Mourinho raises all sorts of red flags and ethical questions.
Mourinho has a history of only dealing with Raiola from his Porto days. Everyman and his wife knows what a wheely dealer Raiola is.
Wenger have over the years sworn not to be involved in these under the table deals with agents and especially Raiola.
That's why it takes Arsenal's Dick Law alot of time to close deals and Wenger do not buy Raiola's players.

I have a feeling it's one of the reason why Mourinho hates Wenger.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

At the end of the day it is who u know, that is the way of life not just football. If Iheanacho gets sold his father will stand a chance of making cash but that is completly legal. Being a relative might get u in the door but u still have to make the right deals or else u would be out of clients.
Nobody is talking about players relationship with agents who could be a family member.

We are taking about managers relationship with agents.

Imagine what happens if a manager chooses to buy players who are managed by his family members or close pals.

Due to conflict of interest and personal relationships, these deals are so negotiated that the manager and agents takes mark-up from the deal and a slice of the players wages.

Alot of shaddy deals are done behind the curtains by your favourite clubs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
joseph1013:
Nigeria's greatest ever players, Mikel is in top 3. Oliseh is not in top 7. That says alot.

Your Opinion? Or is that a generally accepted statement?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Nobody is talking about players relationship with agents who could be a family member.

We are taking about managers relationship with agents.

Imagine what happens if a manager chooses to buy players who are managed by his family members or close pals.

Due to conflict of interest and personal relationships, these deals are so negotiated that the manager and agents takes mark-up from the deal and a slice of the players wages.

Alot of shaddy deals are done behind the curtains by your favourite clubs and managers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:15am On Dec 06, 2016
goldfish80:

In my post I layed emphasis on the word "home grown"

Some of the names you mentioned do not tick that box.
Belerin, Pique were educated in England.
Marcelo, Godin and Alves spent their formative years in South America.

There are very few classy defenders who rose through the rank and file of Spanish football, from the academies without being educated else where.

The coaches in Spain spend more time training midfielders and strikers more than they do with defenders.

Bellerin spent 8years at Barca before moving to Arsenal in 2013.if that's not home-grown enough?
Pique only spent 2-3years at Man u
Dani Alves and Marcelo went to Sevilla and Madrid when they were 18.

The claim that spain doesn't groom young defenders well is a myth that is false.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:21am On Dec 06, 2016
komekn:

The pace of the game in the premiership is at blistering pace and very physical.

Pique came to United and flopped couldn't cope. Not all of these central and wing back defenders will be able to hack it in the Premiership.

Pique didn't flop at united. He spent his teenage 3 years having to compete with Prime Ferdinand and Vidic, he was even played at Right Back sometimes. His case was like Tiago who had prime Xavi and Iniesta .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:27am On Dec 06, 2016
princesuko:

Bellerin spent 8years at Barca before moving to Arsenal in 2013.if that's not home-grown enough?
Pique only spent 2-3years at Man u
Dani Alves and Marcelo went to Sevilla and Madrid when they were 18.

The claim that spain doesn't groom young defenders well is a myth that is false.
Bellerin was bought as a Right winger(no7) from the Barca U18's but was further developed and converted at Arsenal to the monster Right back we see today.
Pique was at Manchester 3 years prior to his 22nd birthday which makes him eligible to be called English "home grown"

Marcelo played a full season in Brazil before he was bought with cicinho I think.

Teams do not look to Spain and Netherlands when searching for defenders.
The ratio of Spanish home grown defenders who have hit the tilt and those who haven't is like 2:10

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:50am On Dec 06, 2016
goldfish80:

Bellerin was bought as a Right winger(no7) from the Barca U18's but was further developed and converted at Arsenal as the Right back we see today.
Pique was at Manchester 3 years prior to his 22nd birthday which makes him eligible to be called English "home grown"

Marcelo played a full season in Brazil before he was bought with cicinho I think.

Teams do not look to Spain and Netherlands when searching for defenders.
The ratio of Spanish home grown defenders who have hit the tilt and those who haven't is like 2:10

Bailly Says Hi tho. Pep first choice was Laporte. Most of the best Ball-Playing defenders are either spanish or Learnt their trade there.

Lets Agree to disagree as i don't see you caving soon. Uche Agbo is improving in Granada.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:34am On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Who Moses for displace? Finidi or Babangida?
Moses w displace Babaginda
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:45am On Dec 06, 2016
tbaba1234:

Babangida was a baller, he scores goals too, makes all those ljungberg kind of runs, plus he had good technique.

I was an Ajax fan as a kid and Tijani was always scoring critical goals.
Yea Babaginda was a baller but cannot bench present Moses,pls tell me d difference btw Babangida and Ahmed Musa who had two wonderful W/C goals against Argentina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:54am On Dec 06, 2016
joseph1013:
But he's nothing close to Moses.

In 36 games, he scored 5 goals for Nigeria. In 27 games, Moses has scored 9 goals.

Technique, Pace, Skills, Crossing, Goals, Moses has got them.
U know what Nigerians doesn't have respect for new generation of super eagles,so they w never agreed with u.

I can only rate Odegbami and Finidi higher than Moses for now not Babanginda,also Okocha than Mikel not Olishe(forget the screamer against Spain)let see d development of Balogun and Ekong may be we can rate them with Okechukwu and Taribo,time w tell,not forgetting Iheanacho,Iwobi,Etebor,Ndidi and rest.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 6:13am On Dec 06, 2016
tbaba1234:

yeah it will have served him better if he hads moves to a bigger club
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 6:22am On Dec 06, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

At the end, I am repeating the same thing and this talk does not change my point.

I said, I am more interested in the training than playing time. I can give more players who were without regular playing time.

Thiago Alcantara did not have much playing time at Barcelona. He went to Bayern Munich and broke records.

So, did the benching stop him from reaching his potential? This is a clear fact.
@the bolded, so that is why you also want Pep to continue benching Nacho continuosly right?
Wait oooo did C. Ronaldo become great because of this same method? What about Bale and Eto and the rest

Simple ''KWESHIEN'' what did Nacho's performance in the last match tell you about a player taking drills without playing five consecutive matches

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:26am On Dec 06, 2016
princesuko:

Bailly Says Hi tho. Pep first choice was Laporte. Most of the best Ball-Playing defenders are either spanish or Learnt their trade there.

Lets Agree to disagree as i don't see you caving soon. Uche Agbo is improving in Granada.
You really want to compare the Spanish production line of defenders with their French, Italian and German counterparts?
Like you said, let's agree to disagree.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:29am On Dec 06, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Pls house let stop the issue of Iheanacho being use or warming bench till next city 3 or 4 matches,coz those matches who tell us who is right or wrong on Iheanacho development under Guardiola.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:48am On Dec 06, 2016
joseph1013:
Chai...una don start o. Do you know when the internet was invented? If Finidi was ever the world's best winger between 1995 and 1998, it will be recorded somewhere. So how come we have documented strides of George Weah?

That's how they said India beat Nigeria 99 - 0.
Oga oo no kili me gringrin

where Confun
I suspect I am suffering from ''Laughteria''

You elders are gradualy turning this thread into a comedy thread grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:50am On Dec 06, 2016
joseph1013:
Chai...una don start o. Do you know when the internet was invented? If Finidi was ever the world's best winger between 1995 and 1998, it will be recorded somewhere. So how come we have documented strides of George Weah?

That's how they said India beat Nigeria 99 - 0.
Oga oo no kili me gringrin

where Confun
I suspect I am suffering from ''Laughteria''

You elders are gradualy turning this thread into a comedy thread grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:03am On Dec 06, 2016
joseph1013:

[b]That's how they said India beat Nigeria 99 - 0.
[/b]

And that's how the Indomie generation added that Samuel Okwaraji died during the match after he scored our only goal. grin

cc: terzurum5

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:07am On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Yea Babaginda was a baller but cannot bench present Moses,pls tell me d difference btw Babangida and Ahmed Musa who had two wonderful W/C goals against Argentina.

You dare mention Babangida and Musa in the same sentence?

No be say anything Musa will nt make the starting 11 for any Super Eagles Team from 2006 and earlier.

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.