Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,263 members, 7,780,589 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:04 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (465) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11321628 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (16041) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:26am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Simple, Manchester City have a problem due to their aging team. You can not class Bayern Munich an aging team. It is off the point.
When Man city win, its Pep and his wonder drills working like magic. When they loose, its because the players are old.
Dont you see there is something fundamentally wrong with your defence and veneration of this Lord Master Guardiola?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:09am On Jan 17, 2017
goldfish80:

When Man city win, its Pep and his wonder drills working like magic. When they loose, its because the players are old.
Dont you see there is something fundamentally wrong with your defence and veneration of this Lord Master Guardiola?

The problem is that, I already said that that is why he is doing wonders. With the squad that took fourth last season, he has tried to make us a brilliant passing side. It takes a lot of drills and hardwork to achieve that.

That does not mean City is not an aging side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 6:47am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The problem is that, I already said that that is why he is doing wonders. With the squad that took fourth last season, he has tried to make us a brilliant passing side. It takes a lot of drills and hardwork to achieve that.

Did someone just call mancity a brilliant passing side grin that's the height
Drills again? Stones and Bravo needs xtra "drills"

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:58am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

If Guardiola is doing wonders then Conte is doing what!I don't want to come in coz u always look for a way out and i always respect u for that but something is cleared Guardiola is not getting it right at d moment.I hope he w not be sacked at d end coz d heat is already on and he need to find a way out.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 8:12am On Jan 17, 2017
Kog45:
If Guardiola is doing wonder then Conte is doing what!I don't want to come in coz u always look for a way out and i always respect u for that but something is cleared Guardiola is not getting it right at d moment.I hope he w not be sacked at d end coz d heat is already on and he need to find a way out.
Fact, the coach is getting it all wrong. If it was Mou, the noise would have been louder

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Segadem(m): 8:33am On Jan 17, 2017
Kog45:
If Guardiola is doing wonder then Conte is doing what! I don't want to come in coz u always look for a way out and i always respect u for that but something is cleared Guardiola is not getting it right at d moment.I hope he w not be sacked at d end coz d heat is already on and he need to find a way out.
I wonder oh!
Guardiola has not done anything worthy of praise compare to what his predecessors have done

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:40am On Jan 17, 2017
promzyphyno:

Keagan dolly,percy tau and billiat
Yeah, the trios! The MSN of PSL, DPB!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:44am On Jan 17, 2017
ChrisKels:

That should definitely be Percy Tau. I call him the humble one.

Thanks for ur insight bro, noted.

He looks very humble, The humble one indeed! Icon.4s has added more point!

I even thought Karma Billiat is a South African until i saw him in the warrior team, I was surprised.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:48am On Jan 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The CSL is on sky sports.

CSL is all about money! His career his life, he should just stay there and enjoy his football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:54am On Jan 17, 2017
Abeg make una leave TheGoodJoe o. I come dey feel for the guy sha.

Let me analyze our chances of qualifying for the 2019 AFCON.

We are in group E.

Nigeria
South Africa
Libya
Seychelles.

Firstly, I would start by saying congratulations to Nigeria. This group is a reward for our improvement in FIFA ranking as we were the first seeded team in that group. Had Nigeria not been ranked within the top 12 we would have stood a chance of being pitted against any of the very strong teams in Africa just like how we got Egypt the last time.

Comparing this group with our last AFCON qualifying group opponents:

Egypt> South Africa
Tanzania=Libya
Chad>Seychelles

We have a much easier group

May I also mention here that the top teams in each group and 3best second placed teams will qualify for Cameroun 2019.

Lets look first look at our opponents:

1. South Africa. This by far are our major rivals to the top spot in this group. One of their major strength is they are often unpredictable. They typically blow hot and cold so u do not know when they will blow hot and hit you hard. Another strength of theirs going into this qualifiers is Nigeria often underrate them. Our last match with them during 2015 AFCON qualifiers is one we would want to forget in a hurry. We were already celebrating AFCON qualification prio to that match. Thank God for Sone Aluko's late brace. Our last 3 games have ended in draws. The gap seems to have closed up we need to be wary of them.
Another strength of theirs is they play better away. Nigeria is hosting them in the group opener we need to be wary.

2. Libya. The civil war ravaged country for the last two years have been playing their home games in neighboring Tunisia and Algeria. That has not really favored them. Their only ever cup title was the CHAN in 2014. They play some descent tactical football just like their North African neighbors but they are not as blessed with players with individual quality. Going by our pedigree and our recent rising profile in football we should collect all 6points from Libya.

3. Seychelles. A country of about 90 thousand inhabitants, though can be adjudged the weakest team in the group but have seen a continued rise in profile. All thanks to their continued involvement in U17 and U20 qualifiers. They hardly win games but they keep participating. They have also taken part in the last 3 editions of the COSAFA Cup. They finished 3rd in their group in last AFCON qualifiers, ahead of Lesotho. They were also drawn-by from the first round of AFCON 2019 qualifiers. So they are not completely at the bottom of the food chain.
Nigeria should get 6points from Seychelles.

6points from Libya and Seychelles each means 12pts already. I can tell you that irrespective of what happens between Nigeria and South Africa with 12pts we should be finishing among the best 3 second placed teams. But we know we cannot lose to South Africa home and away. It means AFCON 2019 is almost guaranteed for us ON PAPAER.

I believe Rohr and his troop will deliver the goods for us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:59am On Jan 17, 2017
AIG07:

Finished ke?
I see it has a wise move.
Never rule out a return to Europe.

He'll be under less pressure playing in his preferred role-remember Drogba, Eto'o n so on all went far east before de returned back to Europe(Chelsea) and once again they stamped theirselves as champions in EPL at d twilight of their careers(TheGoodJoe don forget se these guys were far into their 30's when de won the League for Mou. E come de complain se man city players don aged. SMH)-so tell me why mikel's case will be exceptional?.

Note: Mikel has won it all in Europe and as long as he plays he will always be marketable all over the world.

He can play anywhere he likes, you are very right and on point. I even like the fact that he will be playing his preferred role which will showcase the best in him. Abeg leave Goodjoe alone, na hin own perspective be that. As long as mikel is still in form and on point for SE, No lele. He has done a lot and achieved a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:36am On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

We are in group E.

Nigeria
South Africa
Libya
Seychelles.

Firstly, I would start by saying congratulations to Nigeria. This group is a reward for our improvement in FIFA ranking as we were the first seeded team in that group. Had Nigeria not been ranked within the top 12 we would have stood a chance of being pitted against any of the very strong teams in Africa just like how we got Egypt the last time.

Egypt> South Africa
Tanzania=Libya
Chad>Seychelles

May I also mention here that the top teams in each group and 3best second placed teams will qualify for Cameroun 2019.

1. South Africa. This by far are our major rivals to the top spot in this group. One of their major strength is they are often unpredictable. They typically blow hot and cold so u do not know when they will blow hot and hit you hard. Another strength of theirs going into this qualifiers is Nigeria often underrate them. Our last match with them during 2015 AFCON qualifiers is one we would want to forget in a hurry. We were already celebrating AFCON qualification prio to that match. Thank God for Sone Aluko's late brace. Our last 3 games have ended in draws. The gap seems to have closed up we need to be wary of them.
Another strength of theirs is they play better away. Nigeria is hosting them in the group opener we need to be wary.

2. Libya. The civil war ravaged country for the last two years have been playing their home games in neighboring Tunisia and Algeria. That has not really favored them. Their only ever cup title was the CHAN in 2014. They play some descent tactical football just like their North African neighbors but they are not as blessed with players with individual quality. Going by our pedigree and our recent rising profile in football we should collect all 6points from Libya.

3. Seychelles. A country of about 90 thousand inhabitants, though can be adjudged the weakest team in the group but have seen a continued rise in profile. All thanks to their continued involvement in U17 and U20 qualifiers. They hardly win games but they keep participating. They have also taken part in the last 3 editions of the COSAFA Cup. They finished 3rd in their group in last AFCON qualifiers, ahead of Lesotho. They were also drawn-by from the first round of AFCON 2019 qualifiers. So they are not completely at the bottom of the food chain.

6points from Libya and Seychelles each means 12pts already. I can tell you that irrespective of what happens between Nigeria and South Africa with 12pts we should be finishing among the best 3 second placed teams. But we know we cannot lose to South Africa home and away. It means AFCON 2019 is almost guaranteed for us ON PAPAER.

Feel for me because of what? Chelsea did not qualify for any European competition last season and see where they are today. People are just obsessed with short term results. I am more interested in the young players that will break into the team next season and how we grow from there.

If I wanted short term results, I would not support City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:39am On Jan 17, 2017
Kog45:
If Guardiola is doing wonder then Conte is doing what!I don't want to come in coz u always look for a way out and i always respect u for that but something is cleared Guardiola is not getting it right at d moment.I hope he w not be sacked at d end coz d heat is already on and he need to find a way out.

Conte is doing an amazing work. Are you saying only one coach can do well? Pochettino is also doing wonders. Guardiola is because he is doing a monumental task because of the transition the team is going through. This is so basic and needs no explanation. Ha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:43am On Jan 17, 2017
zicky:
Did someone just call mancity a brilliant passing side grin that's the height
Drills again? Stones and Bravo needs xtra "drills"

Jesu. Guy you are so out of touch. In the last game against Everton, there was a five minutes interval we had 90% possession. Ended the game with over 70% possession. We have been doing this all season, even against top sides.

If you do not know this, why are you arguing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:46am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Feel for me because of what? Chelsea did not qualify for any European competition last season and see where they are today. People are just obsessed with short term results. I am more interested in the young players that will break into the team next season and how we grow from there.

If I wanted short term results, I would not support City.

I am not feeling for you because of City's present position but because of the attacks and criticisms you have been receiving since Sunday.

And for the young players you talked about, if you are banking on that transition for City to grow, u are on a long thing o.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:53am On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

I am not feeling for you because of City's present position but because of the attacks and criticisms you have been receiving since Sunday.

And for the young players you talked about, if you are banking on that transition for City to grow, u are on a long thing o.

It is normal. I am used to it. It is a constant thing here. People wait for an opportunity to launch repeated attacks. It has been on since the Keshi/Slowbi era. I am used to it.

Thanks for feeling for me. As for City, I just want them to keep working hard. Keep adjusting their strategy and with time it will fall into place.

And, I hope we do not buy Messi. Please no.

As for the young players, I expect wonders from there. It will hurt me if we neglect the huge prospect there. Long term results and not short term. I believe with time working with these special lads, we can build something amazing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:57am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It is normal. I am used to it. It is a constant thing here. People wait for an opportunity to launch repeated attacks. It has been on since the Keshi/Slowbi era. I am used to it.

Thanks for feeling for me. As for City, I just want them to keep working hard. Keep adjusting their strategy and with time it will fall into place.

And, I hope we do not buy Messi. Please no.

As for the young players, I expect wonders from there. It will hurt me if we neglect the huge prospect there. Long term results and not short term. I believe with time working with these special lads, we can build something amazing.
You sure believe so much in those ur youngsters.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 10:13am On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

We are in group E.

Nigeria
South Africa
Libya
Seychelles.

Egypt> South Africa
Tanzania=Libya
Chad>Seychelles

Well said, however u made a little mistake, what if South Africa also gets 12point and draw us in both games. With a 1-1 in Nigeria and 0-0 at home. That can mean disaster. Likewise what if Libya pulls out like Chad? And I don't agree with getting 6points just like that because no small teams anymore. My opinion is to see every team like a potential Egypt and be ready otherwise your guess is as good as mine. Nations cup is not our birth, all teams want to get there
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:27am On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Conte is doing an amazing work. Are you saying only one coach can do well? Pochettino is also doing wonders. Guardiola is because he is doing a monumental task because of the transition the team is going through. This is so basic and needs no explanation. Ha.
thegoodjoe our MARADONAALI coz no matter what,u always have your way like maradona and no matter d kicking and punching,u always stand like Great Ali.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:06am On Jan 17, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Well said, however u made a little mistake, what if South Africa also gets 12point and draw us in both games. With a 1-1 in Nigeria and 0-0 at home. That can mean disaster. Likewise what if Libya pulls out like Chad? And I don't agree with getting 6points just like that because no small teams anymore. My opinion is to see every team like a potential Egypt and be ready otherwise your guess is as good as mine. Nations cup is not our birth, all teams want to get there

That is why I said with 12points we are almost guaranteed at least to be among the best three 2nd placed teams. For the last edition of qualifiers the best three 2nd placed teams all finished with 11pts.

Also I am not underrating any team. Nigeria has learnt this the bitter way. But I tell you that if we take all those games in our group serious we will take 12points from Libya and Seychelles combined.

Talking about a possible withdrawal it is very possible. And there is no way Nigeria will not take the game against South Africa seriously. My conclusion is we are highly expected to top that group.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Segadem(m): 11:08am On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

yes oh, let the guy go ask Arsene Wenger, though I'm in surport of youngerters in a team, but it should be one or at most two
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:35am On Jan 17, 2017
Segadem:

yes oh, let the guy go ask Arsene Wenger, though I'm in surport of youngerters in a team, but it should be one or at most two

You get the point.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:41pm On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Jesu. Guy you are so out of touch. In the last game against Everton, there was a five minutes interval we had 90% possession. Ended the game with over 70% possession. We have been doing this all season, even against top sides.

If you do not know this, why are you arguing.
when you say someone is brilliant at something, I believe they should dominate their opposition and win games like Totheham or Liverpool not 5 minutes 90% possession cause even sunderland can achieve that

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 3:30pm On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

That is why I said with 12points we are almost guaranteed at least to be among the best three 2nd placed teams. For the last edition of qualifiers the best three 2nd placed teams all finished with 11pts.

Also I am not underrating any team. Nigeria has learnt this the bitter way. But I tell you that if we take all those games in our group serious we will take 12points from Libya and Seychelles combined.

Talking about a possible withdrawal it is very possible. And there is no way Nigeria will not take the game against South Africa seriously. My conclusion is we are highly expected to top that group.
I hope we do, It is only the matches of Nigeria that can ruin my appetite. I really hope we continue on this path, also match bonuses and all are paid in due time so moral will be high. Sad we keep missing international friendlies who should help us get more players in shape. Hopefully we shall get there but that world cup is key for me o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

That is why I said w[color=#770077][/color]ith 12points we are almost guaranteed at least to be among the best three 2nd placed teams. For the last edition of qualifiers the best three 2nd placed teams all finished with 11pts.

I hope we do, It is only the matches of Nigeria that can ruin my appetite. I really hope we continue on this path, also match bonuses and all are paid in due time so moral will be high. Sad we keep missing international friendlies who should help us get more players in shape. Hopefully we shall get there but that world cup is key for me o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:44pm On Jan 17, 2017
zicky:
when you say someone is brilliant at something, I believe they should dominate their opposition and win games like Totheham or Liverpool not 5 minutes 90% possession cause even sunderland can achieve that

You can be brilliant at Passing but not at converting them to goals. We can meet Arsenal and dominate them on the field when it comes to holding possession. Guardiola in a short time has passed that philosophy seamlessly to the players. However, we are still far from using the possession to create chances. As we keep working hard, it will comes.

As I said, it is a marathon. What we are doing is not easy. If you think Sunderland can, then you do not understand why most of the top teams have high stats.

Look at the link below.

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/9478/Premier-League-possession-sportgalleries

It clearly shows we are brilliant at passing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2017
Icon4s:

I do. I believe so much in youngsters well groomed, working together over a long time. I believe they would help if Pep gives them the chance. I feel waiting until next season will mean, going through the integration stage next season. He should have started this season. I still feel we did not need to send most of them alone. They should have been training with the team and those standing out slowly drafted into the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:49pm On Jan 17, 2017
Kog45:
thegoodjoe our MARADONAALI coz no matter what,u always have your way like maradona and no matter d kicking and punching,u always stand like Great Ali.

A lot of you guys here are great. We are just rubbing minds and learning from each other. I am not Maradonaing, I am just sharing what I believe deeply after years of close watching.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Jan 17, 2017
Segadem:

It should be about the best. If all eleven are better than the old guards, it is self defeating resting them. Clichy and Kolarov have made errors close to school boy errors. They have had both good and bad games. They are working hard for the team but I believe there is a peak level and after that, players start depreciating.

During that time, the young ones are rising. With close watch, there is a time to give them a chance to show how much they have grown. I do not want all of them playing. The bold is the ideology. I want them close, competing with the old guards for places.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eazyjakes(m): 4:45pm On Jan 17, 2017
I tut dis thread is about super eagles....y so much emphasis on the tactics of man city,Chelsea,arsenal,bayern Munich and the likes of late?....I know it keeps the thread alive bt let's not derail from its original intent!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:46pm On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Simple, Manchester City have a problem due to their aging team. You can not class Bayern Munich an aging team. It is off the point.
If the Man city team is ageing that much, why then did Guardiola buy a 30yr old Nolito? And 33yr old Bravo?
On whose lap will you lay the blame in those purchases since its all about age?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:49pm On Jan 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You can be brilliant at Passing but not at converting them to goals. We can meet Arsenal and dominate them on the field when it comes to holding possession. Guardiola in a short time has passed that philosophy seamlessly to the players. However, we are still far from using the possession to create chances. As we keep working hard, it will comes.

As I said, it is a marathon. What we are doing is not easy. If you think Sunderland can, then you do not understand why most of the top teams have high stats.

Look at the link below.

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/9478/Premier-League-possession-sportgalleries

It clearly shows we are brilliant at passing.
Yes passing out from the back is cool. , but the line between principles and false optimism is blurred.

(1) (2) (3) ... (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) ... (16041) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Phant0mStranger, shawwal1(m), lakesidepapa(m), Marjoribanks and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.