Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,736 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (483) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11534120 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (16097) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:54am On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Explosive? Were even Iheanacho and Iwobi explosive on their debuts?
And yes that was before our discussion. Meaning you still had another opportunity to look at him. Yet u still preferred Usman.

I doubt Egypt was before our discussion. We discussed in preparation for Rio. I told you I will watch Etebo at Rio. I did not say I will watch Etebo against Egypt.

I said I prefer Usman Mohammed. You said Etebo was better. I said okay I will watch him at Rio. After Rio I said Etebo was better. Please, can you tell me what was wrong or the problem. Because I do not get why listening to your opinion and trusting your opinion is not suitable for you.

Honestly, I do not get it. You said, Etebo was better. I checked and agreed with you. So, what is wrong?

You agree Etebo was not explosive, so do you want me to judge him on that? Tell me what I did wrong. I will really like to know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:56am On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I doubt Egypt was before our discussion. We discussed in preparation for Rio. I told you I will watch Etebo at Rio. I did not say I will watch Etebo against Egypt.

I said I prefer Usman Mohammed. You said Etebo was better. I said okay I will watch him at Rio. After Rio I said Etebo was better. Please, can you tell me what was wrong or the problem. Because I do not get why listening to your opinion and trusting your opinion is not suitable for you.

Honestly, I do not get it. You said, Etebo was better. I checked and agreed with you. So, what is wrong?

You agree Etebo was not explosive, so do you want me to judge him on that? Tell me what I did wrong. I will really like to know.

Nigeria vs Egypt was in March.

Well, I have made my point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:57am On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Explosive? Were even Iheanacho and Iwobi explosive on their debuts?
And yes that was before our discussion. Meaning you still had another opportunity to look at him. Yet u still preferred Usman.

I am not getting you. I say I prefer Usman Mohammed. You said you have watched two of them and Etebo is better. I did not argue. I said, I will start watching him closely. Tell me a better reply.

After watching Etebo closely, I agreed with you. Please, what should I do? I do not get it at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

When was Rio? Was it not after? I said we discussed Etebo and Usman after the Egypt games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58am On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Well, I have made my point.

I have not read the point. Please, tell me the point you have made because I am yet to see it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:00pm On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

When was Rio? Was it not after? I said we discussed Etebo and Usman after the Egypt games.

And at that point u still believed Usman was better than Etebo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:02pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

And at that point u still believed Usman was better than Etebo?

At which point. I said I have not watched Etebo closely. I clearly explained to you that I am not in the right position to judge. You explained to me you were in a better position and you have watched both. You told me Etebo was better. I said I will watch closely at Rio. After Rio, with one game, I said Etebo was better.

So, What is the problem?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:07pm On Jan 24, 2017
Lazyerudite:

You know, not everyone has to agree with your opinion, even though this is a faceless forum, throwing insults is quite cheap. We mostly do not agree with his line of thinking but to say that is uncalled for. If you are not happy with his opinion, either drop yours or move on

Insults? Would be Pleased if you can show Me One in My Post. Your Everyone has a Right to Opinion is Misplaced. So Becasue I have a right to offer my view means i should start Misleading Readers with Non-Facts?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by promzyphyno(m): 12:23pm On Jan 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Why not? I am sure u also believe that Nacho wouldn't be able to put his pants on in the morning without Pep.

Chai basco,u are badt grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:26pm On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I am not ready to start digging articles now. I will just give a recent excerpt about Messi’s sleeping habit that improved him.

Nasri told French TV show L’Equipe du soir: “For him, his players’ sexual activity must take place before midnight in order to get a good night sleep – even if they are free tomorrow.

“He [Guardiola] said that he placed this rule on Messi and his muscles improved since.”

https://m.dreamteamfc.com/c/lionel-messi-news-pep-guardiola-imposed-sex-ban-improved-argentine/

Please, I did not say I started watching Manchester City In 2010. Before you run around saying you are quoting rubbish. If it is too controversial for your understanding, ask.

I watched Shaun Wright Phillips a young boy at City. I was watching City in the time of Darius Vassel. Watched City when Keegan was coaching them in lower divisions.

I watched almost every game of Nigeria '99. I watched almost every game of France' 98. Watched David Beckham, Gérard, Owen as young boys.

I watched Kanu, Overmars, Finidi George, Seedorf, De Boer twins, Edgar Davids as young boys. Before you think it is today I started following football.

I was analysing football deeply in the 90s.

Thought Guardiola Already declared that He didn't do any of those? https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2219712/manchester-city-news-pep-guardiola-laughs-off-samir-nasri-sex-ban-claim-insisting-football-is-impossible-without-sex/

Was not questioning when you started Watching Football, I believe Most people here are Adults, Just questioning the fact that You said you were a United Supporter before Joining City.

Can't even Phantom how you could watch City in the Lower's division In 2001 when Most People Struggled to Watch MOST United Live 2001.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:27pm On Jan 24, 2017
princesuko:

Insults? Would be Pleased if you can show Me One in My Post. Your Everyone has a Right to Opinion is Misplaced. So Becasue I have a right to offer my view means i should start Misleading Readers with Non-Facts?
I want u to take it cool,this is a forum where everybody can express their different opinions and comments but it is left for d wise ones to understand who is really making sense.

Pls just send your comment and people who appreciate it w thumb up to your admiration.Do not worry about people attitudes here,we all come from different school of thought about football,some play it,some understand it,some are very good when it comes to analytical,some are stubborn when it comes to their view on issue,some take it personal here despite being a faceless forum.

This is a great thread irrespective of age or experience and we are here to learn,some have been watching d game since 80s while some started yesterday but that doesn't mean w should look down on d new one comments or opinions.

My man this thread is sweet,just enjoy it and pass your comment without rancour and u love it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

At which point. I said I have not watched Etebo closely. I clearly explained to you that I am not in the right position to judge. You explained to me you were in a better position and you have watched both. You told me Etebo was better. I said I will watch closely at Rio. After Rio, with one game, I said Etebo was better.

So, What is the problem?

No problem my brother. Just take a cup of cold water and breath in and out. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
TOP FIVE TEAMS IN AFRICA.

I was discussing with a friend a while ago and he said this AFCON is boring - A view I countered anyway but that is not what this write up is all about.

He further said this AFCON has also pointed out that Africa does not deserve the additional slots being award for the future expanded world cup, which I also countered. I told him that African Power houses are almost at par. That the additional countries from Africa would not in anyway diminish the standard because of the parity I earlier mentioned.

I gave him a simple test by listing the top 10 African footballing nations presently. And that irrespective of FIFA ranking, based on his understanding of the game in Africa, he should chose the best 5 footballing nations based on current form.

I tell you, after picking his first 2 he became confused and started analyzing who the other 3 should be.

See the list of top 10 African teams I gave him in no particular order:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

I want to throw it open to the house, forget about FIFA ranking. Using your knowledge of African football and knowing the capabilities of these individual nations can u list the best 5 teams presently in Africa? If you don't agree with my top 10 you can also list yours.

cc: All parliamentarians here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
princesuko:

Thought Guardiola Already declared that He didn't do any of those? https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2219712/manchester-city-news-pep-guardiola-laughs-off-samir-nasri-sex-ban-claim-insisting-football-is-impossible-without-sex/

Was not questioning when you started Watching Football, I believe Most people here are Adults, Just questioning the fact that You said you were a United Supporter before Joining City.

Can't even Phantom how you could watch City in the Lower's division In 2001 when Most People Struggled to Watch MOST United Live 2001.

I was a United Supporter from 1996. During the time of Eric Cantona. I used to have my Champions League triumph against Bayern Munich tape I recorded myself with a VHS recorder.

Guardiola said he did not say players should not have sex. That was the message conveyed by the article writer. When I read Nasri's comment, that was not what I got. Nasri was talking about the importance of sleeping early to Guardiola. Having late night romps is not allowed. At all. If you must, they should do it earlier. Night sleeping.

Guardiola did not say players can keep late nights. It is totally against his philosophy.

Guardiola dismissed the midfielder's comments, saying: "No. I don’t accept that. I wouldn’t be happy. I want it to be the principle in all of our games.

"When it doesn’t happen the opponent is good.

"That’s why the player has to take care of themselves in their private life, sleep well, eat well, because the way we play is so demanding. People cannot escape, another one has to be there.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-players-exhausted-guardiola-11964863
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:21pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

No problem my brother. Just take a cup of cold water and breath in and out. smiley

I will rather bath you with cold beer. angry

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:23pm On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I will rather bath you with cold beer. angry

That is no water it is beer. You need it more. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:26pm On Jan 24, 2017
princesuko:

Pep Guardiola's changes to Manchester City routines before and after games are OFFICIALLY nuts

Manager Guardiola is overhauling every detail of their lives, from their sleeping arrangements, right down to giving them nuts to nibble after games.

Bacary Sagna says the players like the new routine.

“Last night, we didn’t go to the hotel,” said the France defender. “We have to be responsible and everyone is very professional. You have to go to bed early and think about the game. Everyone did.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiolas-changes-manchester-city-8629299

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:30pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

That is no water it is beer. You need it more. grin

Plus this one.
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:32pm On Jan 24, 2017
adriel39:

Yeah still loading undecided
Aaah Oga mi gringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:33pm On Jan 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Plus this one.
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

U need it grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:38pm On Jan 24, 2017
princesuko:

Pep spent many successful years representing his boyhood club, playing at the heart of the Blaugrana midfield until the age of 30, playing out the remainder of his days with various stints in Italy, Qatar and Mexico. His first coaching role was with FC Barcelona’s B team and through his visionary thinking he made huge changes that were initially questioned by the club hierarchy and young players alike.

As well as training times and structures being altered, nutrition and diet regimes were put in place, sleeping patterns were changed and he often gathered his budding squad together for tactical chats whilst showing videos that the Catalan had collected from his scouts. These were all brand new approaches to day-to-day work, alien to the players.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2016/01/13/pep-talk-the-cult-of-pep-guardiola/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:42pm On Jan 24, 2017
Danycrusoe:
(MODIFIED) Greetings to the guys in the house The SIRS: Icon4s, thegoodjoe, Thesupernerd (welcome back), safarigirl, Joseph1013, terzurum and all other honourable members.
It's been a while I commented on this thread but I have been following all sir Joseph's national team threads both male and female.
Actually I need an advice on a project topic I want to propose In school and I want to know what you guys think about it. I'll appreciate your opinion(s)..... the topic is "THE INFLUX OF FOREIGN FOOTBALL LEAGUES IN OUR MASS MEDIA AND IT'S EFFECT ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE NIGERIA PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (NPFL).
OR THE ROLE OF THE MASS MEDIA ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE NPFL. NB: These are topics I want to present for my lecturer, I just want a topic based on football in Nigeria or Sports.
I'll appreciate your contributions and opinions Thanks

The last Topic will not be too hard to write on. It is always reasonable to avoid virgin Topics while handling your Project

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 2:53pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

I was discussing with a friend a while ago and he said this AFCON is boring - A view I countered anyway but that is not what this write up is all about.

He further said this AFCON has also pointed out that Africa does not deserve the additional slots being award for the future expanded world cup, which I also countered. I told him that African Power houses are almost at par. That the additional countries from Africa would not in anyway diminish the standard because of the parity I earlier mentioned.

I gave him a simple test by listing the top 10 African footballing nations presently. And that irrespective of FIFA ranking, based on his understanding of the game in Africa, he should chose the best 5 footballing nations based on current form.

I tell you, after picking his first 2 he became confused and started analyzing who the other 3 should be.

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

I want to throw it open to the house, forget about FIFA ranking. Using your knowledge of African football and knowing the capabilities of these individual nations can u list the best 5 teams presently in Africa? If you don't agree with my top 10 you can also list yours.

Remove Morocco and put Burkina Faso
Remove DR Congo and put Mali

South Africa deserves a place but I don't know who to remove.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sunnypa11(m): 3:06pm On Jan 24, 2017
http://nigfooty..co.ke/2017/01/opposition-watch-george-leekens-resign.html?m=1
Opposition Watch : George Leekens Resign As Algeria Coach
The Website of the Algerian Football Federation has officially announced the resignation of Coach George Leekens as National team Coach of the Fennecs of Algeria after a disappointing Group stage exit in on Monday Night at the ongoing Gabon 2017 Afcon
The FA further thank all members of the technical crew for their time.
George Leekens replaced Serbian Milovan Rajevac last October and didn't win any competitive game.
The Federation will now need to find a Coach to lead them in a double header against Zambia as the race is becoming tougher with the Desert Foxes currently bottom of Group B with a single point in two matches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:30pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

So far in the Afcon my top 5 is,
Senegal
Ghana
Tunisia
Burkina Faso
Congo DRC
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:19pm On Jan 24, 2017
interesting question let me take a shot at it.

1. NIGERIA
currently we have very exciting young players doing great things in top clubs in europe. right now we are in dominating form in the qualifiers rohr has so far moulded our individual talents into a very team and our rise in FIFA rankings indicate this change in fortune with continued good coaching and seriousness on the part of our players we would make a great african representative.

2. SENEGAL
team filled with great emerging talents all over europe with sheer ability they would beat most on the continent. i'm not yet 100% convinced the senegalese have a coach who can harness their talent to play to their full potential yes they are doing well in the AFCON but their world cup qualifying campaign hasn't been quite smooth. i feel with excellent coaching they will be formidable opponents.

3. GHANA
in terms of talent they are not as formidable as they were a couple of years ago but they are still a threat. they have a good coach who uses tactics wired to their strengths. doing well so far in AFCON were unusually sloppy in their preparations for the world cup qualifiers hence their poor start.

4. DR CONGO
these guys have been knocking on the door for some years now have some exciting players an ambitious coach things are really looking up for the congolese been great in the world cup qualifiers AFCON campaign hasn't been too shabby either seems the glory days of congolese football are gradually coming back.

5. IVORY COAST
most of their golden generation of players are now retired but make no mistakes they are still a dangerous team started their qualifying campaign for the world cup on a decent note though AFCON has been shaky. still a great african team.

for the rest of the top 10 cameroon is a bit depleted talent wise, algeria need a good strong coach to handle the ego of their players, egypt few outstanding players but very disciplined and dangerous, tunisia just there above average, burkina faso have potential just need belief and more confidence

Icon4s:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 5:05pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

In no particular order and based on current playing personnel the top 5 teams in Africa are;

Senegal, Algeria, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, DR Congo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:36pm On Jan 24, 2017
My Top 5 Africa team Congo Dr , South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria n Senegal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 5:37pm On Jan 24, 2017
komekn:

There is great potential for him to contend with Furmino because I think he will score more goals. If he continues to score he can find himself the main man.

There is less pressure on Klopp to win the EPL, as a result he will have more patience and loyalty to Kelechi.

Comparatively Guardiola is having a baptism of fire and under far greater pressure, it's an expectation that he should win the EPL. I don't know how well he can deal with failure or a failing team. This means Guardiola does not have the luxury of time, which means he will inevitably be impatient. Players will be dropped if they can not produce to the standard required without sentiment.

For Kelechi going to Liverpool would be a far better proposition the style of play and philosophy is very similar.
My brother, I quite agree, at least this is another good coach but when sturridge becomes fit and firmino is also on song, iheanacho might not see shirt o. Origi sef dey o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 6:08pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Nigeria
Ghana
Cameroun
Ivory Coast
Senegal
Algeria
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco
DR Congo

I love my country to be honest but I would not put us in the top 5 yet even top ten for now. Your list is good except Nigeria for Mali. My reason is simple, if we were top 5, we would have been in the nation's cup. Also if the list was about future prospects in terms of players we have then we would be number one. For now let's keep building and watch how good we can become. I pity those countries that are making fun of us now, time has a way of sorting things out

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 6:11pm On Jan 24, 2017
Icon4s:

You sha wan expose the guy sha, him don gree na, he will eventually accept our issues with Pep

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 6:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
Kog45:
I want u to take it cool,this is a forum where everybody can express their different opinions and comments but it is left for d wise ones to understand who is really making sense.

Pls just send your comment and people who appreciate it w thumb up to your admiration.Do not worry about people attitudes here,we all come from different school of thought about football,some play it,some understand it,some are very good when it comes to analytical,some are stubborn when it comes to their view on issue,some take it personal here despite being a faceless forum.

This is a great thread irrespective of age or experience and we are here to learn,some have been watching d game since 80s while some started yesterday but that doesn't mean w should look down on d new one comments or opinions.

My man this thread is sweet,just enjoy it and pass your comment without rancour and u love it.
Rightly said

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (16097) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ajd19 and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.