Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,179 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (972) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11574330 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) (974) (975) ... (16114) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 12:24am On May 25, 2017
I no longer take fifa youth tourneys serious. Uefa and SA don't take it serious anymore. Africa and North America are the ones still taking fifa youth cups serious. If Europe e.g. Portugal decided to come with their best under 20, do you think Zambia would have had a corner kick against them not to talk of a goal? If Germany pulled their real under 20 team, I promise you that Venexuela would have eaten the 7 goals they gave Vanuatu. Look at most of the African teams that have done well in under 20, not more than 5 in the whole team have meaningful careers. All these initial gragra Zambia is doing, you may only remember some of their names cos of how funny it sounds not cos of their career. Naija would trash Zambia in Uyo even if they camp this their under 20 team plus Kalaba for 5 months leading to the match. I don't yake fifa youth comps serious again. Africa and SA haf spoilt ur with age cheats.

TheSuperNerd:

You are right oooo..... This Zambian team ehn.. hmmmm.... I just dey look them... they look so resilient and very very enterprising.

They have already equalled the class of 2007's showing at an U-20 WC (Zambia's best performance and finish so far). It is most likely this squad surpasses their predecessors and some of them go on to be household names for Zambian football just like The 2012 Afcon winning side that had Emmanuel Mayuka and Stophila Sunzu from the 2007 U-20 side that lost to Echiejile's Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:25am On May 25, 2017
This season, he has scored eight goals in 22 appearances in the Austrian Bundesliga after he netted 13 goals in the last campaign.This week, he told a radio station that were he chanced, he would demand answers from Rohr to why he has again been snubbed by the Super Eagles.“If I had the opportunity to speak with Rohr, i will ask him to check my profile and also why I haven’t got an invitation,” he said in the interview.

This one too de make mouth Can you imagine

Even Henry Onyekuru was invited due to somebody withdrawing and someone with just 8 goals is complaining

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:31am On May 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Someone who speaks English biko!!!

Kita ki bia.... who says we cannot go 6wins out of 6 in our group?

It is not underrating our opponents but just saying we actually do have the players to make it happen (even though we have a young team).... the only team that can stop us from making it 6 for 6 is Algeria in their backyard (or maybe Cameoroun in their backyard too) but truth is I don't see Nigeria losing a game. We may draw... but lose? uhmmm naahh... I just don't see that yet...

Yes, this mindset can prevent complacency and keep the team focused.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:43am On May 25, 2017
Relax..... looooollll... no one is hyping the Zambians.... We will roast them okay.... I am super sure of that. I am only pointing out their shining lights in this tourney.... it is not everyday they get to produce super talents like their west-african brothers.... (especially like Nigeria) so I was just commending them.

But on Portugal U-20... I can assure you that this squad Portugal brought is their best.... Or are you saying that an African team don't stand a chance against Portugal even when they come with their best? come on man... dont take the shine off their (Zambia's) victory.... they beat Portugal and that is now part of history as far as The U-20s go.

Germany may be missing a few starlets but in Ochs, Torunarigha and a couple more, they have similar players who featured in the U-19 Euros of last year several of which play bundesliga football or bundesliga 2 soccer.

In Conclusion... Zambia should be respected but yes... Nigeria is Africa's most dreaded on paper (maybe after Senegal for now.... but for the long run, it will be Nigeria) and the future of another Golden Era in African football coz the rise of Nigerian super quality talents all over the place just don't wanna stop and it is super exciting...

In world football today... In terms of an abundance of rising top young talents... The likes of France from Europe, Nigeria from Africa and Brazil/Uruguay from South America lead the way.... not forgetting Portugal from Europe also.

And about Venezuela... lol... you dont know that team. Soteldo, penanrenda, and co are top young talents and their team is quite a unit but not unbeatable.

Truth is, Germany could never beat them 4-0 not to mention 7-0. smiley

Dedebanky85:
I no longer take fifa youth tourneys serious. Uefa and SA don't take it serious anymore. Africa and North America are the ones still taking fifa youth cups serious. If Europe e.g. Portugal decided to come with their best under 20, do you think Zambia would have had a corner kick against them not to talk of a goal? If Germany pulled their real under 20 team, I promise you that Venexuela would have eaten the 7 goals they gave Vanuatu. Look at most of the African teams that have done well in under 20, not more than 5 in the whole team have meaningful careers. All these initial gragra Zambia is doing, you may only remember some of their names cos of how funny it sounds not cos of their career. Naija would trash Zambia in Uyo even if they camp this their under 20 team plus Kalaba for 5 months leading to the match. I don't yake fifa youth comps serious again. Africa and SA haf spoilt ur with age cheats.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 12:49am On May 25, 2017
My dear thank you. I don't know what it is, but Europe and South America are no longer taking these Fifa youth cups serious. The days Spain, Brazil and Argentina sent strong teams, are long gone. I read people saying England took a strong team to this cup, hell naw! A really strong English team would include Rashford, Hollgate, demarai Gray, or is it France, they should have Mbappe, Dembele, kimpembe et al. The validity of this cup is fast dying down. Remember when Argentina repeatedly took strong teams to under 20 wc? Even if Naija had gone, I'd support them cos it's my nation but I'd know deep down that this is a BS competition. Then to now use these smallies to threaten Naija? Chai Naija don suffer. Just watch how Algeria would tear them in August.

safarigirl:
If Zambia like, they can draft their entire U20 team to play against us, na Mikel go show them the difference between youth and experience.

The way you guys give anybody levels in this our group sometimes ehn, instead of us to watch Cameroon playing Confeds in June, una dey yarn all these small small children for U20. Unless they have an Mbappe and a Jesus, I no send them.

Countries wey even get Mbappe and Jesus no qualify for U20, just goes to show the quality of opposition in this tournament this year
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:50am On May 25, 2017
Sorry but the date reads March 8th naa.... what is the source sef?

In the report it says Kayode has scored 8goals in 22 apps. But we know he has way more than that.... undecided

Sir Whizola... this looks like old news from months ago... why post it?

whizola:
Was ‘bad boy’ Kayode dropped by top NFF officials?
By admin - March 8, 2017378 0

Kayode Olanrewaju
Sources close to Olanrewaju Kayode have insisted the Austria-based striker was very much in the plans of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, but he was eventually dropped from the squad for this month’s friendlies in London because some top NFF officials branded him “a bad boy”.

“Kayode has maintained that he was called up by Rohr, but he was eventually dropped because some top officials said he will never play for Nigeria again because he ‘messed’ up one of their ogas some years ago,” said a source close to the former Nigeria U17 and U20 striker.

This was in reference to his transfer saga that involved former top NFF chief Taiwo Ogunjobi and Ivorian club ASEC Mimosas.

The 23-year-old Kayode has been linked with a move to the Premier League in England on the back of his form at Austria Wien.

This season, he has scored eight goals in 22 appearances in the Austrian Bundesliga after he netted 13 goals in the last campaign.

This week, he told a radio station that were he chanced, he would demand answers from Rohr to why he has again been snubbed by the Super Eagles.

“If I had the opportunity to speak with Rohr, i will ask him to check my profile and also why I haven’t got an invitation,” he said in the interview.

The Austria Vienna striker also questioned scouting and yardsticks used to invite players to the Super Eagles

“I think the Super Eagles scouting needs to be extensive enough to consider players who are active in their clubs,” he urged.

“There is no way a player who sits on the bench can be fit enough or better than the one who plays regularly.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:58am On May 25, 2017
This year's edition is definitely not among the strongest lineup of teams in years.... No Nigeria, No Ghana, No Brazil, No Spain....

The English had to share their final team slots because they have the U-21 euros so they had to keep most of their best for that one coming up next month days after the U-20 WC is over.

The French came with a strong side but excluded Mbappe because he is now considered a core senior player with Les Bleus.....

This year's edition is certainly lacking in teams quality as even nations from Asia dey make me wonder wetin happen... looollll

But it is still the World Cup... so Let's just enjoy it like that. grin

And About Argentina... lol... I am telling you that is the best they have got... the lautaro Martinez, the Tomas conechny, the ascacibar... Argentina hasn't exactly been producing top class young talents like before... that "quality abundant talents" TITLE now goes especially to Brazil and Uruguay now in south america.

Dedebanky85:
My dear thank you. I don't know what it is, but Europe and South America are no longer taking these Fifa youth cups serious. The days Spain, Brazil and Argentina sent strong teams, are long gone. I read people saying England took a strong team to this cup, hell naw! A really strong English team would include Rashford, Hollgate, demarai Gray, or is it France, they should have Mbappe, Dembele, kimpembe et al. The validity of this cup is fast dying down. Remember when Argentina repeatedly took strong teams to under 20 wc? Even if Naija had gone, I'd support them cos it's my nation but I'd know deep down that this is a BS competition. Then to now use these smallies to threaten Naija? Chai Naija don suffer. Just watch how Algeria would tear them in August.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:03am On May 25, 2017
NFF clears Uyo stadium for Bafana

A team of inspectors from the Nigeria Football Federation has declared the Uyo Stadium ready for next month ’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying cracker between Nigeria and South Africa .

The NFF head of technical and development committee Chris Green, who led the team , expressed his delight with the state of the pitch during a final inspection on Monday .

“ We want to express our appreciation to the Akwa Ibom State Government and the people of the state for their cooperation in observing no activity on the pitch of the stadium . That has helped to retain the lush nature of the turf, ” Green was quoted as saying in a statement by the NFF on Wednesday .

“ The NFF is of the belief that this abstinence will be observed until after the match . ”

Also in the NFF delegation were NFF Executive Committee member , Ibrahim Musa Gusau and Deputy General Secretary , Dr . Emmanuel Ikpeme.

Source: http://punchng.com/nff-clears-uyo-stadium-for-bafana-2/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 1:08am On May 25, 2017
Lol. I feel you. But on Venezuela, except something different is happening to their football, i just don't rate them as a footballing nation. Never qualified for senior WC. Portugal with a strong squad can be beaten by an African country, but it ain't gonna be as easy as Zambia made it look. You know deep down European nations have started acting some type of way to fifa youth cups which i feel is not cool on their part.

TheSuperNerd:

Relax..... looooollll... no one is hyping the Zambians.... We will roast them okay.... I am super sure of that. I am only pointing out their shining lights in this tourney.... it is not everyday they get to produce super talents like their west-african brothers.... (especially like Nigeria) so I was just commending them.

But on Portugal U-20... I can assure you that this squad Portugal brought is their best.... Or are you saying that an African team don't stand a chance against Portugal even when they come with their best? come on man... dont take the shine off their (Zambia's) victory.... they beat Portugal and that is now part of history as far as The U-20s go.

Germany may be missing a few starlets but in Ochs, Torunarigha and a couple more, they have similar players who featured in the U-19 Euros of last year several of which play bundesliga football or bundesliga 2 soccer.

In Conclusion... Zambia should be respected but yes... Nigeria is Africa's most dreaded on paper (maybe after Senegal for now.... but for the long run, it will be Nigeria) and the future of another Golden Era in African football coz the rise of Nigerian super quality talents all over the place just don't wanna stop and it is super exciting...

In world football today... In terms of an abundance of rising top young talents... The likes of France from Europe, Nigeria from Africa and Brazil/Uruguay from South America lead the way.... not forgetting Portugal from Europe also.

And about Venezuela... lol... you dont know that team. Soteldo, penanrenda, and co are top young talents and their team is quite a unit but not unbeatable.

Truth is, Germany could never beat them 4-0 not to mention 7-0. smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:20am On May 25, 2017
I understand you... Venezuela at the senior level is not a force to reckon with.

But this U-20 team of theirs is quite an interesting one.

And about Portugal... no mind them for this U-20 WC... two of their finest U-2Os/U-21s just like mbappe of france were not called because they are now full senior internationals... Renato Sanches and Andre Silva.

Believe me at Russia 2018... you will see the real Portugal... lollll... Renato Sanches, Joao Mario, Andre Silva, Adrien Silva, Ricardo Quaresma, Andre Comes, William Carvalho, Bernardo Silva, Pepe, Felipe Monteiro, Nani, Joao Moutinho and more... all led by their talismanic alien lord, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Zambia just made the most of their opportunity and they must be commended... it is never easy for an African team beating Portugal at any level.

And yeah... the European teams are kinda just somewhat this year... as if dem no wan go Korea... lol... Even England took many of their best and reserved them the U-21 Euros...

Dedebanky85:
Lol. I feel you. But on Venezuela, except something different is happening to their football, i just don't rate them as a footballing nation. Never qualified for senior WC. Portugal with a strong squad can be beaten by an African country, but it ain't gonna be as easy as Zambia made it look. You know deep down European nations have started acting some type of way to fifa youth cups which i feel is not cool on their part.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:29am On May 25, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I understand you... Venezuela at the senior level is not a force to reckon with.

But this U-20 team of theirs is quite an interesting one.

And about Portugal... no mind them for this U-20 WC... two of their finest U-2Os/U-21s just like mbappe of france were not called because they are now full senior internationals... Renato Sanches and Andre Silva.

Believe me at Russia 2018... you will see the real Portugal... lollll... Renato Sanches, Joao Mario, Andre Silva, Adrien Silva, Ricardo Quaresma, Andre Comes, William Carvalho, Bernardo Silva, Pepe, Felipe Monteiro, Nani, Joao Moutinho and more... all led by their talismanic alien lord, Cristiano Ronaldo.

Zambia just made the most of their opportunity and they must be commended... it is never easy for an African team beating Portugal at any level.

And yeah... the European teams are kinda just somewhat this year... as if dem no wan go Korea... lol... Even England took many of their best and reserved them the U-21 Euros...

I doubt the teams that matter take these youth cups seriously. If the U20 is this bad, I can only imagine how the U17 tourney in India will be
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:55am On May 25, 2017
That brings us back to my initial post. I was not in any way saying that language is not a factor. But I was stressing the all round development of the player in the long run should be the main consideration. In fact language is not a barrier on my opinion, else coaches would have been asking to know if the player can speak the local language before considering signing them up.

Many coaches these days are multi-lingual.

Success should have opted to remain in Spain.
Iheanacho should go to Germany. Onyekuru as well. But i no be their papa. I'm just considering their playing style and thinking your next destination is always crucial to your development. I could still be wrong after all.

BascoVanVeli:

I never meant that it was the sole factor but i am sure language plays a role.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:01am On May 25, 2017
maidaboi:
I try to register with cybereagles but i got stock at security question because of my browser
if any body will help me and register for me i will give him my email and details
thank you
cc thesupernerd tbaba1234 icon4s safarigirl bascovenveli
It's difficult to register with a phone. Luckily for me I remembered I had an account with them from my early days in high school and reset my password.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:08am On May 25, 2017
maidaboi:
yes
there is an arsenal thread there too
but you know nairaland is the best

ARSENAL
jeezz am not going there again cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:10am On May 25, 2017
On the quality of the age grade competitions, I think FIFA itself is the one killing it. The glamour that comes with it is far fading away.

As Sir. Dedebanky85 stated, the SA n Europe are not only denying/holding their best legs to these grade competitions. They are also denying wonderful talents from other continents plying their trade in their respective local clubs in europe. These clubs keep saying these age-grade tourneys are not FIFA recognize or so.

The power these continental federations are getting most especially UEFA is getting much and if nothing is done to curb their rudeness and gragra it'll affect and hurt World National Football as a whole cos one day de will grow in strength and over turn FIFA itself. The last AFCON is an example. So many players invited declined and refused to play simply because the season is on.

It's either Fifa cancels these tournaments or shift their dates to favour the european football calendar(which will be unfair to other continents/countries which their football league season does not correspond wit the europeans) or perhaps enforce/make new rules to always force these clubs to release any player no matter who he is anytime he is called for an international assignment simply by making those competitions FIFA RECOGNIZED.

For example, to me d last olympic wasn't competitive enough. The only team that was able to feature their best legs was Brazil(the host nation) other teams were just there. The world couldn't see Our own boys too. Unlike what we had in the past.

I just hope something is done or else things will start getting worse. Look at the date slated for this year's champions league final June 3. When everybody knows that club activities end in europe with uefa final at most by May 31 and season break begins June 1... Awon Ologbonkogbon Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:34am On May 25, 2017
whizola:

Kayode Olanrewaju
Sources close to Olanrewaju Kayode have insisted the Austria-based striker was very much in the plans of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, but he was eventually dropped from the squad for this month’s friendlies in London because some top NFF officials branded him “a bad boy”.

“Kayode has maintained that he was called up by Rohr, but he was eventually dropped because some top officials said he will never play for Nigeria again because he ‘messed’ up one of their ogas some years ago,” said a source close to the former Nigeria U17 and U20 striker.

This was in reference to his transfer saga that involved former top NFF chief Taiwo Ogunjobi and Ivorian club ASEC Mimosas.

The 23-year-old Kayode has been linked with a move to the Premier League in England on the back of his form at Austria Wien.

This season, he has scored eight goals in 22 appearances in the Austrian Bundesliga after he netted 13 goals in the last campaign.

This week, he told a radio station that were he chanced, he would demand answers from Rohr to why he has again been snubbed by the Super Eagles.

“If I had the opportunity to speak with Rohr, i will ask him to check my profile and also why I haven’t got an invitation,” he said in the interview.

The Austria Vienna striker also questioned scouting and yardsticks used to invite players to the Super Eagles

“I think the Super Eagles scouting needs to be extensive enough to consider players who are active in their clubs,” he urged.

“There is no way a player who sits on the bench can be fit enough or better than the one who plays regularly.”

point of correction, I think his club called him back, and he said so himself, scroll up for the news
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 2innocent(m): 8:36am On May 25, 2017
adegwurulez:
lt beats me what the problem is. From Arsenal to Porto to Valencia and now Leicester. The young man doesn't need any of these hassles so early in his career. Any news on John Lazarus? I have so much faith in that lad.
I heard he is at kubwa playing 5 aside street foot ball, so bad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 9:18am On May 25, 2017
whizola:

Kayode Olanrewaju

Am sure he is referring 2 musa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 9:28am On May 25, 2017
How many players are in camp now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:45am On May 25, 2017
Terrible news.

Obinna Nwobodo has joined a side in Hungary.

Hungary? Seriously, that is just depressing. Where is the progress from there?

Joseph1013, Icon4s, TheSuperNerd

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 9:56am On May 25, 2017
2innocent:
I heard he is at kubwa playing 5 aside street foot ball, so bad
football progression can be funny at times. Nobody would have expected Orji Okwonkwo to be the first player of his set to break into the senior team of a European club side. Wish them the best though.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:58am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
Terrible news.

Hmm.. But do you consider playing in any of the Scandinavian leagues better than playing in Eastern Europe?

Which do you consider more competitive?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:19am On May 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Hmm.. But do you consider playing in any of the Scandinavian leagues better than playing in Eastern Europe?

Which do you consider more competitive?

Hungary is Central Europe and i do not even know anything about their league.

It depends on the country. In Eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine have better leagues than most of Scandinavia but it might be easier to get to one of the bigger leagues from Sweden or Norway.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ghdcheapersaleu: 10:43am On May 25, 2017
Most of people like to lock their smartphone screen to protect their privacy. Sometimes you may forget password and locked out of your phone. Safest Password Manager( http://www.passwordmanagers.net/Top-Password-Manager.html);
Best Free Password Manager( http://www.passwordmanagers.net/Best-Password-Manager-App.html)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:44am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
Terrible news.

On the face value it looks a bad move owing to the obscurity of the Hungarian league but a star will always be a star. He could be fished out by a network of scouts even plying his trade in Budapest.
It will amaze you to know with how detailed these sophisticated scouting softwares are. In a year or two, he could move on to a higher level.

This is one of the reasons I clamour for the inclusion of exceptional home based players to the national team, even if it is to train with the team which will in turn boost their market value and raise the profile of such players. A player is more marketable to the better leagues if he is within the corridors of the national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 10:45am On May 25, 2017
Baxter names first Bafana squad
Stuart Baxter has named his first Bafana Bafana
squad since returning to the hotseat for a 2019
African Nations Cup qualifier with Nigeria in Uyo
next month.
The match will start at 18h00 (SA time) at
Godswill Akpabio International Stadium on June
Baxter has notably handed recalls to striker
Tokelo Rantie and KICK OFF Magazine cover
star Bongani Zungu , who is impressing in
Portugal for Vitoria Guimaraes.
Cape Town City talisman Lebogang Manyama is
joined by clubmate Aubrey Ngoma in the national
team set-up for the first time, while Thulani
Serero misses out due to inactivity for Ajax
Amsterdam.
Newly crowned champions Bidvest Wits are
represented by goalkeeper Darren Keet and
defenders Thulani Hlatshwayo and Sifiso Hlanti.
"I am quite pleased with the squad we have
assembled. We have a small element of
development with a couple of young players. We
also have some players who are returning to the
squad, the likes of Zungu and Rantie," said
Baxter, who is yet to finalise his technical team
and appoint a captain.
"We have players who have been outstanding in
the PSL the whole season, we also have
continuity with a number of players that SAFA
has invested much time in and we have them in
the team. I believe we have a good mix.
"We have also looked at aerial strength and tried
to spread that well throughout the team, it
means if we can have good preparation before
we go, then we have a squad that is capable of
giving Nigeria a good game."
Baxter is juggling responsibilities as he will
continue coaching SuperSport United until the
end of the domestic season, which culminates
with Matsatsantsa's Nedbank Cup title defence
against Orlando Pirates in the final on June 24.
The Brit was appointed by SAFA earlier this
month on a five-year deal following the sacking
of Ephraim 'Shakes' Mashaba in December last
year.
The ex-Kaizer Chiefs boss previously steered
Bafana from May 2004 to November 2005,
recording 10 wins from 23 matches before being
fired after South Africa missed out on the 2006
World Cup.
Bafana squad:
Goalkeepers: Khune, Williams, Keet.
Defenders: Mphahlele, Coetzee, Hlatshwayo,
Mathoho, Gordinho, Mobara, Langerman, Hlanti.
Midfielders: Kekana, Dolly, Jali, Mokotjo, Furman,
T. Zwane, Zungu, Ngoma.
Strikers: Vilakazi, Tau, Manyama, Rantie,
Gabuza, Erasmus. http://www.kickoff.com/mobile/news/75594/stuart-baxter-names-first-bafana-squad-since-returning-to-hotseat-for-afcon-qualifier-with-nigeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:48am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

It depends on the country. In Eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine have better leagues than most of Scandinavia but it might be easier to get to one of the bigger leagues from Sweden or Norway .
I see you have had a change of opinion at the bolded. I recall when you made an arguement about Chisom's move to Sweden as relatively obscure for a player of his profile. Perhaps you read Attah Aneke's interview.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:57am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

It depends on the country. In Eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine have better leagues than most of Scandinavia but it might be easier to get to one of the bigger leagues from Sweden or Norway.

Hungary politically are part of Central Europe. You are right about that no doubt but Socially ,Economically, football wise and even in terms of Soviet occupation they typically or more conveniently are classified with Eastern Europe.

I hope you are also aware that countries like Croatia, Slovenia, Czech, Serbia, Slovakia and Poland are also part of Central Europe. But they are more commonly seen as Eastern Europeans. Infact a Hungarian typically do not like being called an Eastern European. But you are right. Hungary is part of Central Europe.

IMO I don't really see much difference in terms of competitiveness between leagues in that 'bloc' (also known as the eastern bloc due to communism) and those in Scandinavia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:58am On May 25, 2017
goldfish80:

I see you have had a change of opinion at the bolded. I recall when you made an arguement about Chisom's move to Sweden as relatively obscure for a player of his profile. Perhaps you read Attah Aneke's interview.

I did not 'change' my opinion. I have always held that opinion. My grouse with Chisom move is that we should be expecting better moves for the player of the year, not a loan move to Sweden. He still has not played since he got to Sweden.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:22am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

I did not 'change' my opinion. I have always held that opinion. My grouse with Chisom move is that we should be expecting better moves for the player of the year, not a loan move to Sweden. He still has not played since he got to Sweden.

As Goldfish80 rightly said 'a star is a star'.

If really he is as good as he is being rated then in no distant time he should make another move.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:28am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
Terrible news.

Im absolutely gutted. He deserved better.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:36am On May 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

I recall telling you that Sweden was a good launch pad for a young player like Chisom to make a bigger move to a better league, a fact you disputed citing academy players move to big clubs from Nigeria. You will excuse me if I'm a bit surprised you're proposing the same Sweden as a gateway to bigger leagues.

From reports, I understand Chisom is doing well and his club are very happy with him so much that they have paid off his loan fee. He even scored a brace in a friendly. Why he haven't featured in the league remains unknown. The league in Sweden is still young, I know he will get his chance at some point. The loan arrangement could work in favour of his owners, he could hit a run for form during the season( he is more than capable of this) , which could see his price tag triple in advantage this owners and a loss for Haecken.

(1) (2) (3) ... (969) (970) (971) (972) (973) (974) (975) ... (16114) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), Meliforme and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.