Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1510) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11536478 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1507) (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) ... (16098) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:23pm On Sep 14, 2017
EUROPA League Update:

Zorya 0-0 Ostersunds

Alhaji Gero on the visitors bench. 18 mins gone
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2017
EUROPA League Update:

Arsenal VS Cologne

Game finally starts after skirmishes from Cologne fans

Iwobi starts.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2017
Looolll... Peter Olayinka won't stop assisting people ooooo.... hahaha

He has picked up another assist... as Zulte Waregem trail OGC Nice 1-3 at home...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by whizola: 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2017
OC for FIFA Competitions approves procedures for the Final Draw of the 2018 FIFA World Cup
(FIFA.com) 14 Sep 2017
A general view of the plinths and pots containing the draw balls
The Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions, chaired by Aleksander Čeferin, met at the Home of FIFA in Zurich today, 14 September 2017. During the meeting, the committee discussed the key lessons learnt from the successful FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and was updated about the state of preparations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™.

The committee approved the procedures for the Final Draw of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, which will take place in Moscow on 1 December 2017, as follows:

Allocation: All teams will be allocated to pots 1 to 4 based on sporting principles with each pot containing eight teams. This means that the October 2017 edition of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking will be used to allocate all qualified teams to the four pots according to their ranking in descending order, with the best seven teams along with hosts Russia in pot 1. The principle of drawing the teams into the groups will remain unchanged. Hence, no teams from the same confederation, with the exception of UEFA, which could have up to two teams in the same group, will be drawn into the same group.

Group formation: Eight groups of four teams will be labelled A to H: the four pots will be emptied completely by allocating one of their eight teams to each of the eight groups.

Other decisions:

- The committee approved the following tournament dates:

FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2018: 12 to 22 December 2018
FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup Uruguay 2018: 13 November to 1 December 2018
FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup France 2018: 5 to 24 August 2018
FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019: 7 June to 7 July 2019

- The slot allocation for the Olympic Football Tournaments Tokyo 2020 was confirmed as follows:

Men’s tournament (16 teams):

AFC: 4 (including the host)
CAF: 3
CONCACAF: 2
CONMEBOL: 2
OFC: 1
UEFA: 4
Women’s tournament (12 teams):

AFC: 3 (including the host)
CAF: 1.5
CONCACAF: 2
CONMEBOL: 1.5
OFC: 1
UEFA: 3
- The committee confirmed the decision of the Bureau for FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers, which had ordered a replay of the qualification match between South Africa and Senegal held on 12 November 2016. This confirmation came after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the lifetime ban of match referee Joseph Lamptey for match manipulation, the ruling imposed by the FIFA Disciplinary and Appeal Committees. The match will be replayed during the November 2017 international window, with the exact date to be confirmed in due course
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:21pm On Sep 14, 2017
Like I kinda rightly deducted... Iwobi starts in central midfield.... very interesting... wink

Arsenal trail 0-1 to Koln though (15 mins gone)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:02pm On Sep 14, 2017
I don't know if it's just me. Sometimes I feel our players are not fed with the ball enough.
Arsenal will do be better if they utilize Iwobi.. The several times he was involved, Arsenal threatened.

TheSuperNerd:
Like I kinda rightly deducted... Iwobi starts in central midfield.... very interesting... wink

Arsenal trail 0-1 to Koln though (15 mins gone)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:04pm On Sep 14, 2017
EUROPA League Update:

Zorya 0-2 Ostersunds

Alhaji Gero seals it for the visitors in extra time.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:07pm On Sep 14, 2017
Haha.. that would have been an Olayinka goal. Ball already heading for the net.

TheSuperNerd:
Looolll... Peter Olayinka won't stop assisting people ooooo.... hahaha

He has picked up another assist... as Zulte Waregem trail OGC Nice 1-3 at home...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On Sep 14, 2017
Alex Iwobi put in a pretty decent shift in central midfield I must say before being taken off for Wilshere.... even picked up an assist for his endeavors. Had an 88% passing accuracy in the final third of the pitch for Arsenal and even created three chances (of which one was an assist). Well done Iwobi... gradually working his way back.

I think Rohr should watch this game again to see that Iwobi's future in our Super Eagles lies more in the CAM (CM and AM) Role(S)... he is not perfect yet ofcos.. but he is gonna grow into these roles as he is still young. Out wide he can still be effective but we know his biggest potentials lie in central/attacking midfield.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:40pm On Sep 14, 2017
Lol... you are right... Iwobi created three good chances and picked up an assist before he left the pitch sef.

Also had three successful take-ons... he really threatened and was very productive when he had the ball and when Arsenal played thru him a few times.... smiley

Joebie:
I don't know if it's just me. Sometimes I feel our players are not fed with the ball enough.
Arsenal will do be better if they utilize Iwobi.. The several times he was involved, Arsenal threatened.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:44pm On Sep 14, 2017
Ghana should just Bleep off with their useless WAFU cup. #cheaters

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:33pm On Sep 14, 2017
That was my observation before the second half. You agree with me... see how it played out.

TheSuperNerd:
Lol... you are right... Iwobi created three good chances and picked up an assist before he left the pitch sef.

Also had three successful take-ons... he really threatened and was very productive when he had the ball and when Arsenal played thru him a few times.... smiley

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:35pm On Sep 14, 2017
I think with our fast forwards, Iwobi can be really helpful in our build up. Definitely one of our star players of the future, if he doesn't cement his place at AM/CM/LW/RW now.

TheSuperNerd:
Alex Iwobi put in a pretty decent shift in central midfield I must say before being taken off for Wilshere.... even picked up an assist for his endeavors. Had an 88% passing accuracy in the final third of the pitch for Arsenal and even created three chances (of which one was an assist). Well done Iwobi... gradually working his way back.

I think Rohr should watch this game again to see that Iwobi's future in our Super Eagles lies more in the CAM (CM and AM) Role(S)... he is not perfect yet ofcos.. but he is gonna grow into these roles as he is still young. Out wide he can still be effective but we know his biggest potentials lie in central/attacking midfield.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:39pm On Sep 14, 2017
Europa League Commentary Highlight:
Young Boys 1-1 Partizan Belgrade

87' Theophilus Solomon (Partizan) zig-zags his way into the box and fires the ball towards the middle of the goal, but the goalkeeper makes a great reaction save to stop the effort.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 12:05am On Sep 15, 2017
kentebemoney:

Am from tungbo.
I see u stay in abj too
oh thats splendid, i know tungbo very well smiley smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:28am On Sep 15, 2017
Theophilus Solomon Shines For Partizan Belgrade In Europa League Stalemate

Nigerian forward Theophilus Solomon made his Europa League for Serbian side Partizan Belgrade coming on as a substitute in their 1-1 draw against Swiss side Young Boys.

Solomon who joined the team in the summer made his debut for the team last weekend in their 3- 0 win over Mladost Lucani in the league, playing the final 15 minutes of the game.

This time around, the Nigerian who is on a season long loan from Croatian side HNK Rijeka was introduced earlier and he almost made an immediate impact late into the game.

Introduced in the 64th minute, Solomon had a late effort which could have given them a win and all three points saved by the goalkeeper of Young Boys few minutes before regulation time.

He was lively for the duration he was on the pitch, and got a high rating of 6/10 from a Serbian media outfit that covered the game.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/14/theophilus-solomon-shines-for-partizan-belgrade-in-europa-league-stalemate/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:06am On Sep 15, 2017
mostob:
Ghana should just Bleep off with their useless WAFU cup. #cheaters

anoda ojoro abi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:21am On Sep 15, 2017
do4luv14:

anoda ojoro abi
yes o against guinea
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 9:52am On Sep 15, 2017
I hope rohr sub Mikel for iwobi against Zambia when the world Cup ticket is sure
I would like iwobi to play in Mikel position
if it works I think Iwobi would be the perfect replacement for Mikel once he retires
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:08am On Sep 15, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

I have said it before that Alex Iwobi is naturally a Central/Attacking Midfielder.

The earlier Rohr grooms him in that position the better for us. He IMO is the current Nigerian player closest to Mikel's and Okocha's abilities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 10:18am On Sep 15, 2017
Super Eagles Coach Rohr In Europe For Scouting Mission Ahead Clash With Zambia

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is leaving no stone unturned in his quest to ensure that Nigeria gets a favourable result against Zambia in their next World Cup 2018 Qualifiers.
Nigeria will take on Zambia on the 7th of October in Uyo, a game which a victory will see the Eagles seal their passage to the World Cup 2018 in Russia as it will give them an unassailable lead at the top of the table.
Zambia on the other hand need a win in Uyo to keep their qualification hopes alive after back to back win against Algeria took them to three points behind the Super Eagles of Nigeria, who are yet to taste defeat in the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers.
Rohr on his part has started preparations in earnest ahead of the naming of his squad next week as he departed Nigeria for his base in France, where he will keep tabs with Nigerian players based in Europe.

Some of the players the coach will make checks on during his stay in Europe include players like Kenneth Omeruo of Kasimpasa, who didn’t make the last squad for the game against Cameroon as he was allowed to sort out his club form.
Also on the list of players the Franco-German coach will visit while in Europe is Brown Ideye who recently had a failed moved to Spanish La-Liga side Alaves on loan from Chinese side Tianjin Teda, where he has been demoted to the reserves.
Ade Emmanuel
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 10:30am On Sep 15, 2017
femianski:
I hope rohr sub Mikel for iwobi against Zambia when the world Cup ticket is sure
I would like iwobi to play in Mikel position
if it works I think Iwobi would be the perfect replacement for Mikel once he retires
Iwobi cannot carry the weight of the midfield now but he needs to improve on his defensive ability cuz he's all attacking minded
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19am On Sep 15, 2017
Super Eagles Report Cards Vs Mali: Ali, Adeleye, Friday Impress

Nigeria and Mali played a drab game with a 0-0 result at the Cape Coast Stadium on Thursday evening.

Allnigeriasoccer.com runs the rule on the Super Eagles players in the Group A match.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa 6/10
A fine goalkeeper, and he proved it once more with superb stops during the game He kept his concentration when needed.

Osas Okoro 5/10
Showed a quality time when asked to provide support from wide positions. His crosses were decent.

Chima Akas 6/10
Did well in parts, some nice play going forward, but was strong when called upon at the back.

Adeleye Olamilekan 7/10
A solid performance from the defender. His timely clearance in the 70th minute was crucial. Showed why Nigeria are known as defensively resolute.

Stephen Eze 6/10
A similar performance alongside Adeleye. They will have to provide something similar against their subsequent opponents if they are to qualify from the Group.

Afeez Aremu 6/10
One or two things he tried didn’t come off, but he was willing to try to make things happen more than most.

Ifeanyi Ifeanyi 4/10
Offered little going forward, but was asked to defend and stop the supply from wide. He was substituted in the second half.

Rabiu Ali 7/10
Some excellent touches was evident by the Kano Pillars skipper. His mobility and creativity got the Super Eagles going in the highly physical game.

Ubong Friday 6.5/10
The goal threat was forced to feed off scraps but nearly scored. He was denied only because of the doggedness of the Malians.

Gabriel Okechukwu 4/10
Started well in the first few minutes, but trailed off. Was subbed in the second half and he was visibly disappointed.

Kingsley Eduwo 5/10
All too often tried to make things happen out wide instead of staying central. Powerful runner and willing, but lacked quality, much like the rest of his team.

Substitutes

Peter Eneji 6/10
Tried to make things happen for Nigeria. Should be in from the start against Guinea.

Destiny Ashadi 6/10
Decent display when he came on. Settled in well.

Anthony Okpotu 4/10
Replaced Eduwo but was also unable to influence proceedings in a tough role.

**Ademetan Abayomi

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24633

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:22am On Sep 15, 2017
John Ogu, Nwakaeme Off To Winning Start With Hapoel Be’er Sheva In Europa League

Israeli side Hapoel Be’er Sheva won their first group game of the Europa League with a 2-1 home win over Swiss side FC Lugano at their home ground popularly referred to as the Turner Stadium.

Goals from Daniel Einbinder and Shir Tzedek who netted from the spot helped Be’er Sheva to the win, with Lugano’s only goal of the game coming via an own goal scored by same player who scored the second goal for the Israeli side.

The Nigerian duo of Anthony Nwakaeme and John Ogu were on for the entire duration of the game, and they both had a performance above average with Ogu particularly dominant in midfield duels.

Nwakaeme was his usual energetic self, full of energy, running and power but he failed to get on the score sheet despite coming close to scoring thrice in the game.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/14/john-ogu-nwakaeme-off-to-winning-start-with-hapoel-beer-sheva-in-europa-league/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:26am On Sep 15, 2017
We were not at our best aganist Mali,admits Super Eagles coach
By Festus Chuma

Asst Home based Super Eagles Coach, Imama Amapakabo

Nigeria coach Salisu Yusuf admitted that his side disappointed the nation and didn’t perform well at all, but he urged his boys to man up and redeem themselves.

Super Eagles will play Guinea in next Group A match of 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations on Saturday September 16 in a must win encounter to remain in the competition.

Speaking to Fox Sports after a goalless draw aganist Mali,the local Super Eagles coach says he was dissapointed with the result and that they will now need to work hard to beat Guinea.

“’We couldn’t play up to our standard although the team defended very well,” said Yusuf.

“We will work hard to win our next game because to qualify you need to beat the other teams. That’s the mindset – to be able to win our next game and the last game.

Nigeria will go into the match knowing well that their opponents are a wounded side after 2-0 loss to Ghana in another Group A match played in Cape Coast Stadium on Thursday.

Source: http://www.soka25east.com/not-best-aganist-maliadmits-super-eagles-coach/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:32am On Sep 15, 2017
FIFA SHAKES UP WORLD CUP DRAW METHOD

image: https://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/image_landscape/public/world-cup-trophy-cropped_xkn3t0x5oxw01ec684xvzo7ji.jpg?itok=xRyGb1f-&c=87b6d99828d88c1b8ffe17a08d24fc7d

All four pots for the World Cup finals will be determined by FIFA world ranking, the governing body has decided.
Published
16 hours ago
FIFA has confirmed all four pots for the 2018 World Cup finals draw will be allocated based on the governing body's world rankings.
The move represents a change from previous editions, where only Pot 1 was determined by teams' positions in the standings with the remaining grouped by Confederations.
But the decision taken by the Organising Committee for FIFA Competitions means all 32 teams will be seeded based on their positions in the October rankings.
FIFA, though, will continue to insist no more than one Confederation is in a single group.

Hosts Russia will be automatically seeded in Pot 1 alongside the other top-seven nations, while Brazil's spot is also guaranteed given they have already qualified and are guaranteed to be ranked in the top seven.
Germany, Argentina and Portugal will also take a place in the main group should they qualify, but the race to join that quintet looks set to go down to the wire.
Pot 2 looks set to be equally strong, with England, France, Spain and Italy among those likely to be involved.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fifa-shakes-world-cup-draw-method#rxxUPmcxHUy8EBqt.99
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:43am On Sep 15, 2017
HAPOEL BEER SHEVA PAIR JOHN OGU & ANTHONY NWAKAEME ARE CRUCIAL OPTIONS FOR NIGERIA
By Solace Chukwu

With one foot in the World Cup already, what can these two bring to Gernot Rohr's national team set-up?

On Thursday, as the glitzy lights of the Uefa Champions League dim, its less adored sibling took centre stage. Depending on who you ask, it ranks somewhere in a scale between afterthought and league litmus test: with the best clubs almost disproportionate in their financial advantage, it is arguable that the true test of a league’s level is the strength of its median teams; those which cannot simply spend their way to relevance.
It is also a chance to witness an uncommon Nigerian double-act in a European side.

Israeli champions Hapoel Beer Sheva have midfielder John Ogu and forward Anthony Nwakaeme on the books, and they share a group with Viktoria Plzen, Lugano and Steaua Bucharest, beginning their campaign with a 2-1 triumph over the Swiss side on Thursday.
That last club will of course be familiar to Nwakaeme, who spent three years in Romania before transferring to Israel with Hapoel Ranana in 2013, the majority of those with Universitatea Cluj. From relative obscurity, the 28-year-old has finally burst into relevance, earning a call-up to the national team on the back of strong performances as the Camels claimed a first league for three decades.

Teammate Ogu is however no novice to the international stage, being a regular member of the squad over the last five years. For Hapoel, he is the conductor in the middle of the park, instigating the build-up and helping the team break through lines of pressure with his assured passing range.

On Thursday evening, no Hapoel player made more touches than Ogu, while the Nigerian also registered an 86.4 percent pass-success rate.

In tandem, both were instrumental as the Israeli side advanced from the group stage of last year’s edition, memorably doing the double over Italian giants Internazionale and remaining unbeaten over two legs against Southampton. This, no doubt, made many sit up and take notice; with a kinder draw this time, and Nwakaeme having hit the ground running already (he’s notched four already in European ties this season, as Hapoel failed to negotiate the Champions League qualifiers), they can be hopeful of repeating the feat.

An opening win - albeit in one of the easiest matches in the campaign - is an ideal start.
The question now, given their mutual understanding, is whether they can be similarly as influential for the Super Eagles.

Nwakaeme was a part of the squad for the double-header against Cameroon, and while he was not summoned off the bench, he can be hopeful of involvement further down the line. Interestingly for a man of his build, he has tended to feature more often on the flank at club level, a brief which has arguably improved his all-round game and makes him a more team-oriented forward.

The contrast is, of course, a striker like Odion Ighalo, who is rather more direct and (on the basis of his Cameroon performances) capable of threatening a defence in both directions--Nwakaeme has a more ball-to-feet style, and tends to ghost into scoring positions rather than make runs off the shoulder of the defence. He is, however, quick in open space, a very capable finisher, and obviously a handful physically.

One might say that, as the tie in Yaounde got more fractious earlier this month, the Super Eagles could have used his peculiar strengths more than Kelechi Iheanacho’s, yet it was the latter who was summoned off the bench.
That Iheanacho was then largely ineffectual is no fault of his, but the non-involvement may paradoxically have worked in Nwakaeme’s favour, revealing in rather stark fashion just how he can be useful to the side. His is a particular set of skills alright, one that should see him taken to the World Cup in Russia next year.

The case for Ogu, however, is a little less straightforward.
He is perhaps the biggest victim of the rapacious ascent of Wilfred Ndidi, and has had to make do with cooling his heels and biding his time. That is easy enough to understand: the Leicester City man is undroppable at this point, being Nigeria’s iron lung, and the 29-year-old admittedly lacks the agility and dynamism to displace him.

Less clear is just how he figures in Gernot Rohr’s plans. At times, it has seemed like the German has gone to bemusing lengths to not play him: in both legs vs Cameroon, he opted for wet-around-the-ears youngster Mikel Agu, even when the increasing chaos in the centre of the park in the second leg stemmed from the waning influence of captain and controller John Obi Mikel.
In the previous game, an embarrassing home loss to South Africa, Ogu was cut from the squad altogether, despite being by far the most reliable distributor of the ball in the injury-enforced absence of Mikel.

Rohr’s insistence on reducing the average age of the squad is admirable, but there is a line to be drawn between that and willful self-harm. While a draw was more than merited on the balance of play, Nigeria were unable to see out the game with any real decorum, and needed a very timely save by Ikechukwu Ezenwa to keep the point safe.
Being that the Super Eagles midfield options, Mikel aside, offers mostly energy and ball-winning abilities, having a player like Ogu would seem like a no-brainer. However, to have him and not use him does kind of render it moot.

Perhaps both Ogu and Nwakaeme simply need to do more to convince. It is often the case that players in lesser-fancied leagues need to put in that little bit extra to stand out, for the simple reason that there is less visibility. It really might just be that simple.

In that respect, the Europa League does give them a bigger platform, and on the evidence of Thursday evening's performance, it's one they're primed to capitalise on.

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/hapoel-beer-sheva-pair-john-ogu-anthony-nwakaeme-are-crucial/oiv18yufolsa13bh2wy0h2j2e

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:47am On Sep 15, 2017
Forgotten Flying Eagles Striker Alhaji Gero Scores For Oestersunds In Europa League

Former Nigeria youth international Alhaji Gero scored a late goal for Swedish side Oestersunds to wrap up a 2- 0 win away to Ukrainian side Zorya in the Europa League.

Gero struck on the dot of regulation time to kill off any potential late comeback from the home side, who fell behind in the 50th minute when Saman Ghoddos opened scoring for the visitors.

The power playing forward who had a short stint for Lobi Stars, Kaduna United and Enugu Rangers before moving abroad has so far found the back of the net twice in 18 league games.

Last season the 23 year old scored just three goals from 22 top flight league games in Sweden, a poor return for a striker who represented the Nigeria U-20 team at the 2013 World Youth Championship in Turkey.

**Michael James

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/14/forgotten-flying-eagles-striker-alhaji-gero-scores-for-oestersunds-in-europa-league/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:51am On Sep 15, 2017
Super Eagles Captain Mikel Thumbs Up John Ogu, Mikel Agu & Chidozie Awaziem

Captain of the senior national team of Nigeria John Obi Mikel says some players who are on the fringes of the starting line up of the team are good enough to play for other African nations.

In an exclusive chat with Owngoalnigeria.com, Mikel while speaking on the strength in depth of the Nigerian team named three players as players who have the abilities to be starters elsewhere.

Nigeria are one win away from qualifying for the World Cup 2018 in Russia, and the Tianjin Teda midfielder says Nigeria have enough talent to beat Zambia next month in Uyo and seal her passage to Russia.

”We are presently not doing badly as a nation in the qualifiers. It’s just the way we planned it although we could have wrapped it up in Yaounde, but the game against Zambia still gives us the perfect chance to seal our qualification with a game to spare”, Mikel told Owngoalnigeria.com.

”The team deserve to be where we are at the moment. We have a competitive bunch of players, and even some talented players who are good enough for other nations are not guarantee to start games.

"Mikel Agu, John Ogu and Chidozie Awaziem are hugely talented even Tyrone Ebuehi, Ola Aina, Anthony Nwakaeme who are not getting games yet are players who are good enough to walk into the starting line up of other nations”.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/15/super-eagles-captain-mikel-thumbs-up-john-ogu-mikel-agu-chidozie-awaziem/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 12:09pm On Sep 15, 2017
oloriooko:

Iwobi cannot carry the weight of the midfield now but he needs to improve on his defensive ability cuz he's all attacking minded
what are you saying exactly?? so you mean mikel agu is better controller of AM than iwobi?? excuse me sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by danolorunmo(m): 12:30pm On Sep 15, 2017
THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
CASE FOR CRISTIANO RONALDO
What basically characterises Ronaldo is his professionalism and consistency. Critics and neutrals have argued that Ronaldo is not naturally talented as Messi. Which makes the fact that he has stayed at the top for so long even more impressive. For the past 11 years, the gong for the best player in the world has been shared between Ronaldo and Messi. The last player to win it asides from them was Kaka in 2007. Cristiano Ronaldo plays for Real Madrid football club and the portuguese national team, which he captains.

Keep reading

https://grass-sports..com/2017/09/is-cr7-best-ever.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:04pm On Sep 15, 2017
The Ighalo Mikel derby is going on now with Ighalo's team winning 0-1.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1507) (1508) (1509) (1510) (1511) (1512) (1513) ... (16098) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: oloriooko(m), oluwatobi01(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.