Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2168) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11523038 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2165) (2166) (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) ... (16092) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:41pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
The possibility of Aluko or any championship player for that matter getting a look in by Rohr is quite slim. Generally, the league is seen for what it is -- second tier.

I see. But lowly rated Norwegian league for that matter is good to look into for players like Nwakali? Hmm!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
My Word Cup Draw Prediction grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
My Word Cup Draw Prediction grin
please how are we going to go pass Croatia and France?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:43pm On Nov 18, 2017
You will know when the time comes..

By the way Salah's chance of winning the APOTY is getting higher and higher.
He's just scored twice for Liverpool

forgiveness:

Ok, thanks. But has that got to do with Leon Balogun?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
It's just the reality. first tier is first tier. Second tier is second tier.

forgiveness:

I see. But lowly rated Norwegian league for that matter is good to look into for players like Nwakali? Hmm!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:

By the way Salah's chance of winning the APOTY is getting higher and higher.
He's just scored twice for Liverpool

Ok. Coded move.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:47pm On Nov 18, 2017
We will have to prepare regardless of the opponents we go against.

Humility017:

please how are we going to go pass Croatia and France?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Leon Balogun is unlisted.
Rohr got it right with the latest FB chase

Balogun was unfit for the last 2 games.. Hopefully nothing serious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:18pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:

By the way Salah's chance of winning the APOTY is getting higher and higher. He's just scored twice for Liverpool
It has nothing to do with the present season.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:21pm On Nov 18, 2017
Super Eagles consider France, Germany tests for 2018 World Cup

Source:today.ng

Nov 18, 2017 1:51 PM

World champions Germany and France are among the teams being lined up to tackle the Super Eagles in a pre-World Cup warm-ups in March, according to report.

The Eagles will play two friendlies in March ahead of Russia 2018 after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) moved AFCON 2019 qualifiers also in March to October.

“France and Germany are the two countries Nigeria are considering to play as part of the build-up for next year’s World Cup,” a top official said.

“The France game appears the more realistic, but all will be known after the World Cup draw especially if they are not in our group in Russia.”

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said they will announce the friendlies after the December 1 World Cup draw in Moscow.

Nigeria have twice clashed with France at full international level – they beat Les Bleus 1-0 in a friendly in Saint Etienne on June 2, 2009, before the French took their revenge with a 2-0 win in a Round of 16 clash at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The Eagles have clashed with Germany once, on April 22,1998, with the Europeans running away with a lone goal win courtesy of a 58th minute goal by Andreas Moller.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:24pm On Nov 18, 2017
Awaziem starts vs PSG

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:25pm On Nov 18, 2017
I wish I could watch Hull play Ipswich.
Aina is deployed to LB while Tomori plays RB. Lorfa is on the bench for Ipswich.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:26pm On Nov 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
Awaziem starts vs PSG
According to Whoscored at RB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 5:27pm On Nov 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
Mickael2 has been quiet o!!... Chai!!

After assuring us that we will lose two games, my bro just disappeared... Biko, your input is needed.

I tire for you oh grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 5:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

I wanted to give a shout out to him oooo. Oga Mickael2, where you dey na? Abi you are still recovering from our victory against Argentina? Abeg come yarn us ball, help us dissect that game and show us our lapses. It's necessary cos most of us still have our eyes colored with euphoria. Respect man

I have seen Nigeria defeat Argentina without Messi 4-1 under Siasia, nothing special really for me, great but not special. Meanwhile I was already inactive before that match, my shifts are difficult now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 5:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
Falconets 2 Morroco 0

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
Icon79:
It tells me that Solanke is British footballer and Iheanacho is a Nigerian. Short and simple!

Don't forget that both Liverpool and Chelsea also fought tooth and nail to have Oxlade Chamberlaine but Alex Iwobi, who had kept him on the Arsenal bench for most parts of last season, was not considered by the bigger clubs in England.

What does that tells you

O pari

You are totally misrepresenting facts and being misleading why Emotive sentiment to over hype.

It was not too long ago that Iwobi was benched at Arsenal and as a result was struggling for games. Then Ozil got injured and Iwobi seized position once more.

The Ox was always ahead of Iwobi. yes I like Iwobi but the truth must be told. Had this discussion donkeys ago and ended with, see how much the Ox will go for in the summer transfer. I have now been very much vindicated.

Don't think there ever was a time the Ox was in contention with Iwobi so thats misrepresentation. The idea because Iwobi is Nigerian nobody wants him is totally untrue.

Zaha and Bolasie play for CIV and Congo respectively. They were in demand by the creme of the EPL so the idea because he is Nigerian. That worked against him is far from the truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:09pm On Nov 18, 2017
Is it a year thing or a season thing?

junnyjake:

It has nothing to do with the present season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:18pm On Nov 18, 2017
Let's talk about our two March friendlies. Hopefully England and Germany

junnyjake:
Super Eagles consider France, Germany tests for 2018 World Cup

Source:today.ng

Nov 18, 2017 1:51 PM

World champions Germany and France are among the teams being lined up to tackle the Super Eagles in a pre-World Cup warm-ups in March, according to report.

The Eagles will play two friendlies in March ahead of Russia 2018 after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) moved AFCON 2019 qualifiers also in March to October.

“France and Germany are the two countries Nigeria are considering to play as part of the build-up for next year’s World Cup,” a top official said.

“The France game appears the more realistic, but all will be known after the World Cup draw especially if they are not in our group in Russia.”

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said they will announce the friendlies after the December 1 World Cup draw in Moscow.

Nigeria have twice clashed with France at full international level – they beat Les Bleus 1-0 in a friendly in Saint Etienne on June 2, 2009, before the French took their revenge with a 2-0 win in a Round of 16 clash at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The Eagles have clashed with Germany once, on April 22,1998, with the Europeans running away with a lone goal win courtesy of a 58th minute goal by Andreas Moller.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mickael2:

I have seen Nigeria defeat Argentina without Messi 4-1 under Siasia, nothing special really for me, great but not special. Meanwhile I was already inactive before that match, my shifts are difficult now

Nonsense, Argentina used a second string side that day.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:33pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mickael2:

Even if we beat them in a competitive setting with Messi it would not be special for you.

Take care at work

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:45pm On Nov 18, 2017
It's Mouscron 0-1 Anderlecht at the moment. Take a look at the formation.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2017
exactly

tbaba1234:

Nonsense, Argentina used a second string side that day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 6:55pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mickael2:

Now let's be frank, the Argentines used what we may properly call a team B then, and you cannot say it was preparation for the world cup. Now apart from Messi and then Aguero(in the second half) this was a more solid Argentine team. Wouldn't you agree with me?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:56pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha @the bolded. You call it nonsensical but that comment sums up the impression you've given lots of us here.

See we all have our biases. Yours is at two levels: first you so much believe in the EPL to the extent you are blind to the fact that good players exist in Lower leagues
Secondly you believe so much in the 'innit boys'. I understand. I have my own bias too.

Do you know some among us here would want at least two or three home based players to go to Russia just for the satisfaction of their prejudice? Wait let CHAN begin(and I'm not saying it's bad. I'm only pointing out our prejudices)

You see the way we rush names here? If Rohr were to follow this approach he won't have a team. But he's doing it gradually, gradually. Once you get sufficient buzz you get invited to come show your stuff. It's happened to Onyekuru, then Nwakaeme and lately Uzoho. Only Nwakali took everyone by surprise.

Again you seem to forget something very crucial as regards our UK based FB players. Granted they are Nigerians and you know I've been in the vanguard of those calling for a better way of engagement with them but this issue of convincing them, switching nationalities etc makes them getting invitations not so straight forward. For example the NFF extends invitation to Nwakali, he hops on the plane and next thing he's in camp. No long story. Same cannot be done with Onyedinma for example. And we should not forget that Rohr has his eyes on some FBs who are not based in the UK(and somehow they seem easy to get compared to the hysteria, recriminations and wailings that follows our every move on the UK based FBs). Holland did not cry when Ebuehi switched, I doubt Germany would when Bazee and any other German born Nig player switches.

So it's gradual. It's not easy to build something. And mind you though it would sound sentimental we must avoid a situation where our team is completely taken over by FBs cos if we adopt your suggestion that's where it would lead us to and it would create it's own backlash.

I'll tell you directly but will leave you to guess.

Two weeks ago I spoke to a Nigerian origin teenager who plays in midfield for a premiership team has played near 10 games. He was undecided but felt no formal commitment had been made by Nigeria.

Abou the same time I had contact with the agent of a young Nigerian defender in the championship he explained no formal invitation received. Fred Onyedinma if invited will be on the plane same say day. Seyi Ojo will require clearance buy is ready to play for Nigeria from what gather.

I have said it before will say it again. If you are a stand out player in your lower league team then you could be considered. For instance Dele Alli, Gomez, Ademola, left league one straight to the premiership as teenagers.

I mentioned MK Dons player Chuks Aneke from leagues one as a good quality option in midfield.

I'm not just a football fan. But I have some limited involvement with football. So I do talk about English football from first hand experience with coach,players, agents, hod of recruitment, a few managers, etc. If you call that bias I am very guilty.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 7:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Tammy Abraham, how market? grin
After watching some YouTube videos of cyriel dessers, I think that's the real deal. Tammy is still learning compared to him. I will like him to feature in one of our friendly matches.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:13pm On Nov 18, 2017
Daejoyoung:

Now let's be frank, the Argentines used what we may properly call a team B then, and you cannot say it was preparation for the world cup. Now apart from Messi and then Aguero(in the second half) this was a more solid Argentine team. Wouldn't you agree with me?

GABBARINI, Adrian - Independiente,
Argentina
ZABALETA, Pablo - Manchester City,
England
ANGELERI, Marcos - Sunderland FC,
England
GARAY, Ezequiel - Real Madrid, Spain
OTAMENDI, Nicolas - Porto FC, Portugal
FAZIO, Federico - Sevilla, Spain
BELLUSCHI, Fernando - Porto FC, Portugal
CABRAL, Alejandro - Legia Varsovia.
Poland
FORMICA, Mauro - Blackburn Rovers,
England
INSUA, Emiliano - Galatasaray, Turkey
CRISTALDO, Jonathan - Metalist Kharkiv,
Ukraine
GAITAN, Nicolas - Benfica, Portugal
PIATTI, Pablo - Almeria, Spain
RUBEN, Marco - Villarreal, Spain
JARA, Franco - Benfica, Portugal
PEROTTI, Diego - Sevilla, Spain
BOSELLI, Mauro - Genoa, Italy
BERTOLO, Nicolas - Real Zaragoza, Spain
COSTA, Tino - Valencia, Spain
MUSACCHIO, Mateo - Villarreal, Spain
this is the squad that prosecuted that game that day. Now lets be frank, they were missing 3-4 key players but that was it reallly and we paraded players like Ogude and Utaka. Now I am not saying this recent win isn't something wonderful but that 2011 win was too and Argentina played with a strong squad.

PS: your definition of 'stronger argentine squad' is relative. Consider the performance of some of these players to those ones then and we have something to argue.

CcTbaba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Joebie:
Tammy Abraham, how market? grin
I thought you were always defending this lad.... what now happened?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

Even if we beat them in a competitive setting with Messi it would not be special for you.

Take care at work

it would oooh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:17pm On Nov 18, 2017
Mickael2:

GABBARINI, Adrian - Independiente,
Argentina
ZABALETA, Pablo - Manchester City,
England
ANGELERI, Marcos - Sunderland FC,
England
GARAY, Ezequiel - Real Madrid, Spain
OTAMENDI, Nicolas - Porto FC, Portugal
FAZIO, Federico - Sevilla, Spain
BELLUSCHI, Fernando - Porto FC, Portugal
CABRAL, Alejandro - Legia Varsovia.
Poland
FORMICA, Mauro - Blackburn Rovers,
England
INSUA, Emiliano - Galatasaray, Turkey
CRISTALDO, Jonathan - Metalist Kharkiv,
Ukraine
GAITAN, Nicolas - Benfica, Portugal
PIATTI, Pablo - Almeria, Spain
RUBEN, Marco - Villarreal, Spain
JARA, Franco - Benfica, Portugal
PEROTTI, Diego - Sevilla, Spain
BOSELLI, Mauro - Genoa, Italy
BERTOLO, Nicolas - Real Zaragoza, Spain
COSTA, Tino - Valencia, Spain
MUSACCHIO, Mateo - Villarreal, Spain
this is the squad that prosecuted that game that day. Now lets be frank, they were missing 3-4 key players but that was it reallly and we paraded players like Ogude and Utaka. Now I am not saying this recent win isn't something wonderful but that 2011 win was too and Argentina played with a strong squad.

PS: your definition of 'stronger argentine squad' is relative. Consider the performance of some of these players to those ones then and we have something to argue.

CcTbaba

you make me laugh so otoamedi and Javier are not first team players...?
likewise Di Maria and dybala?

how about we having the absence of Victor Moses....Ighalo, Moses Simon and Onazi this guys are all first team players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
Abusule007:

After watching some YouTube videos of cyriel dessers, I think that's the real deal. Tammy is still learning compared to him. I will like him to feature in one of our friendly matches.
Don't mind Tammy...he should stick to England...
after - watching ebuehi play and also remember the Dutch team of last world cup....I will say we should never underrate these Dutch league guys...they're technically gifted and skillful...
so dessers should be called and tried....

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
I've always been saying things as it is.. I'm saying it as it is now..
When he performs, I say it as it is.. at the moment he seems to be hitting a rough patch in the EPL
Humility017:

I thought you were always defending this lad....
what now happened?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2165) (2166) (2167) (2168) (2169) (2170) (2171) ... (16092) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: villagereporter(m), daveP(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.