Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,023 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4417) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11529802 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4414) (4415) (4416) (4417) (4418) (4419) (4420) ... (16094) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:

After that WAFU finals, he joined cordoba, muazam joined Vienna. Fast forward to this window, he got snapped up by Villarreal while Muazam is struggling to join lowly Maritimo.

Thats the message.

Did u know that if the Academies were not there and we didnt get the FBs, our league wouldn't be able to help us with good players to form a national team. How many of the present Eagles played in our league BTW?
I would prefer to list the number of ex players from our league who won the Afcon in 2013 and made the world cup 2nd round in Brazil, thereby equalling the best performance and achievement of the famous USA 94 team who about 99% of them cut their cut their teeth in the local league. By the way, Nigerias best player at this world cup, Ahmed MUSA was a product of the Nigerian local league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2018
Please where are these kids that lit up U15 tourneys in this country last year? Why are dey not part of Garba's U17 team. The likes of Million Koma, Henry udezuka, Prosper Ojukwu et al
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:36pm On Jul 16, 2018
Please guys is Joel Asoro truly a Nigerian or Ghanaian?
Ghana people dun dey claim am already like dey once did Josh Onomah.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:47pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:
Hoffenheim New Signing Declares Intention To Represent Nigeria Ahead Of Germany, Bosnia

Nigeria are currently leading the race in the battle for the international future of 17 year old new Hoffenheim signing Midhat Bajric despite Bosnia making contact with his agent.

In a chat with Owngoalnigeria.com, the left footed central defender who moved to Hoffenheim from Nuremburg three weeks ago said his immediate focus is representing Nigeria at the U20 level.

” I am eligible to play for Nigeria, Croatia and also Bosnia. For now only Bosnia have contacted my agent over a possible invitation nothing yet from Nigeria or Croatia “, Bajric told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” My dream has always been to represent Nigeria and some people have assured me that the coach of the U20s is watching me but no contact yet with my agent. I know a good performance with Hoffenheim will help my case a lot”, he remarked.

Speaking on his links to Nigeria, the defender who has a Croatian father and a German mother who has Nigerian links cleared the air on his eligibility to feature for Nigeria at international level.

” My grandfather is a full blooded Nigerian while my mother named Odion Abieba is a half Nigerian married to my Croatian father, who has links with Bosnia. The options are much but Nigeria is top priority for now”, he concluded.

the u20 coach should reach out to this kid ASAP

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2018
the kid seem committed, aigbogun should call him Asap
ChrisKels:
Midhat Bajric ;

Yes, that has been my dream; I am white by skin but Nigerian inside. I am a Nigerian, I like to watch Nigeria football players, like Kelechi Iheanacho, John Obi Mikel, Ahmed Musa and others, so many of them. I want to say that I will be very proud to play for Nigeria and make Nigerians proud. My parents support my choice, though my parents are no more together but they still support my dream of playing for Nigeria. I want to visit Abuja, Lagos one day.

Those of us who were here 2-3years ago will remember this excerpt

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
Istanbul Basaksehir Ends Association With Ex Nigeria U17 & 20 Captain Musa Muhammed
July 16, 2018026

The former captain of the Golden Eaglet and the Flying Eagles of Nigeria Musa Muhammed has been rendered clubless by Turkish side Istanbul Basaksehir, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

Musa joined the Turkish side in 2015 from Nigerian academy FC Heart on a three year deal snubbing offers from other top teams around Europe, who were keen on him following his exploits for the Nigerian youth sides.

However the move failed to help him build on his ‎reputation as Nigeria’s emerging full backs as he only made 11 appearances all coming in the Turkish Cup before heading out on loan to Bosnia.

Although he has played for the senior national team of Nigeria, his club career has been far away from good bar last season where he ‎made 16 appearances on loan to Bulgarian side Lokomotiv Plovdiv.

Istanbul Basaksehir have not taken the option of extending his contract for a further two years as contained in his contract meaning he is now a free agent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:18pm On Jul 16, 2018
Leon Balogun will report for pre-season at Brighton & Hove on Tuesday, July 17, manager of the Seagulls, Chris Hughton has revealed.

The Nigeria international defender was handed an extended break after representing the three-time African champions at the football festival in Russia.

Balogun went the distance in the three games played by the Super Eagles at the 2018 World Cup and the highlight of his performance was winning a penalty against Argentina, which was converted by Victor Moses.

Australia goalkeeper Mathew Ryan and Colombia's Jose Izquierdo were part of Brighton & Hove's World Cup contingent.

Providing an update on the three players, including Balogun, Hughton told the club's official website : ''The three players who went to the tournament are back this week – Leon comes back on Tuesday, Maty is back on Wednesday.

''Jose has an extended period of time because his country reached the knockout stages, so he will be back with the group next Monday.

''They’ll all come back in good shape but once the season starts you want them to be up to speed, so for us it’s about making sure that they will be.''

Balogun penned a two-year deal with Brighton in the off-season after choosing not to extend his contract with Mainz.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:20pm On Jul 16, 2018
Let’s face it; things haven’t gone well for Ahmed Musa at Leicester City.

A big impact was expected from the Nigerian star when he made his £16.6 million transfer from CSKA Moscow in the summer of 2016.

However, despite a bright start, Musa managed just two league goals in 22 games in his first season for the then defending Premier League champions.

The second season at Leicester was possibly even worse, with Musa making just one single cup appearance, although he did make the most of his time on the pitch by scoring in that match.

The decision was made to loan him back to CSKA Moscow in January 2018. You could probably forgive Musa for feeling a bit pessimistic at the time.

Musa Bounced Back in Moscow and Volgograd

However, Musa snapped at his chance back in Moscow. He scored six goals in 10 appearances for CSKA as they narrowly missed out on the title.

Importantly for a player in Musa’s position, he also chipped in with three assists in those games. He didn’t register a single assist in Leicester in his 18 months at the club.

As fans of the Super Eagles will be aware, there was little chance of Musa being left out of the Nigerian World Cup squad.

At just 25-years-old, he has amassed an incredible 73 caps for his country. Surely Musa will beat the record of 101 caps held jointly by Joseph Yobo and Vincent Enyeama by the time he hangs up his boots?

Iceland goals showed class

Anyway, Musa impressed in Russia, especially with his stunning performance against Iceland. But the question is – did he impress Claude Puel and those who make the big decisions at Leicester City?

Were his goals for CSKA and Nigeria over the last few months enough to give him another shot at the Premier League?

There has been talk of a move to Galatasaray, but it would be nice to see Musa have another season in the Premier League.

There is a perception of weakness at Arsenal and maybe even Chelsea this season. That means there could by an opening for Leicester to sneak into the Top 6 and grab a Europa League place.

Bet365 have priced Leicester at 7/1 to do that. Even more ambitious Foxes fans will be thinking about a top 4 place at 33/1.

It’s a long shot, of course, but you can enjoy a no deposit free bet to back it risk free.

Leicester need a spark

The point, however, is that Leicester might need a spark if they are to realise these ambitions.

Yes, like the rest of the Premier League clubs they will undoubtedly spend pots of money over the coming weeks, but in Musa they have already a player who offers something different, a spark who can change a game in an instant.

He can, admittedly, be inconsistent at times, but the last six months have mostly shown the best of him.

Moreover, the boy from J-Town looked like he has been enjoying his football.

If he does return to the pitch for Leicester, it has to be about more than individual performances. The lack of assists was a big talking point in England during his first tenure.

Musa should be thinking about helping Jamie Vardy – a 25/1 shot for the Premier League’s Golden Boot – and the rest of the Foxes squad before thinking of his own records.

Puel is a hard taskmaster, one who puts teamwork at the forefront of his philosophy. Musa might get a second chance, but he needs to take it with both hands.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:40pm On Jul 16, 2018
charlesemeka85:
Let’s face it; things haven’t gone well for Ahmed Musa at Leicester City.

A big impact was expected from the Nigerian star when he made his £16.6 million transfer from CSKA Moscow in the summer of 2016.

However, despite a bright start, Musa managed just two league goals in 22 games in his first season for the then defending Premier League champions.

The second season at Leicester was possibly even worse, with Musa making just one single cup appearance, although he did make the most of his time on the pitch by scoring in that match.

The decision was made to loan him back to CSKA Moscow in January 2018. You could probably forgive Musa for feeling a bit pessimistic at the time.

Musa Bounced Back in Moscow and Volgograd

However, Musa snapped at his chance back in Moscow. He scored six goals in 10 appearances for CSKA as they narrowly missed out on the title.

Importantly for a player in Musa’s position, he also chipped in with three assists in those games. He didn’t register a single assist in Leicester in his 18 months at the club.

As fans of the Super Eagles will be aware, there was little chance of Musa being left out of the Nigerian World Cup squad.

At just 25-years-old, he has amassed an incredible 73 caps for his country. Surely Musa will beat the record of 101 caps held jointly by Joseph Yobo and Vincent Enyeama by the time he hangs up his boots?

Iceland goals showed class

Anyway, Musa impressed in Russia, especially with his stunning performance against Iceland. But the question is – did he impress Claude Puel and those who make the big decisions at Leicester City?

Were his goals for CSKA and Nigeria over the last few months enough to give him another shot at the Premier League?

There has been talk of a move to Galatasaray, but it would be nice to see Musa have another season in the Premier League.

There is a perception of weakness at Arsenal and maybe even Chelsea this season. That means there could by an opening for Leicester to sneak into the Top 6 and grab a Europa League place.

Bet365 have priced Leicester at 7/1 to do that. Even more ambitious Foxes fans will be thinking about a top 4 place at 33/1.

It’s a long shot, of course, but you can enjoy a no deposit free bet to back it risk free.

Leicester need a spark

The point, however, is that Leicester might need a spark if they are to realise these ambitions.

Yes, like the rest of the Premier League clubs they will undoubtedly spend pots of money over the coming weeks, but in Musa they have already a player who offers something different, a spark who can change a game in an instant.

He can, admittedly, be inconsistent at times, but the last six months have mostly shown the best of him.

Moreover, the boy from J-Town looked like he has been enjoying his football.

If he does return to the pitch for Leicester, it has to be about more than individual performances. The lack of assists was a big talking point in England during his first tenure.

Musa should be thinking about helping Jamie Vardy – a 25/1 shot for the Premier League’s Golden Boot – and the rest of the Foxes squad before thinking of his own records.

Puel is a hard taskmaster, one who puts teamwork at the forefront of his philosophy. Musa might get a second chance, but he needs to take it with both hands.

Hahahahahah! Smh at the bolded. Seriously!? Chelsea weakened? To drag 6th position with Leicester City when dem eyes dey for 1st position!? Bhuuuhahaha! grin

Even Arsenal could win or make top 3 with the kind of players they currently have and the new coach.

Underrate Chelsea and Arsenal dis season at ya our peril. Ah! Lol grin

Underrate Sarri and Emery at your own peril. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:46pm On Jul 16, 2018
Olu omo MBAPPE,at age 19

broke a 60year old record to score consecutively in worldcup games cool cool cool

Not one dt will HIT D BAR IN premiership, we no go hear word for thread grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:47pm On Jul 16, 2018
Seems the Nantes - Porto new found tie is gonna benefit yet another Porto B player in the person of Musa Yahaya this coming season, as it is rumoured that about 3 porto B players will continue the trend started by Awaziem who was a huge success with Nantes last season.

Fingers crossed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 16, 2018
elyte89:
Olu omo MBAPPE,at age 19

broke a 60year old record to score consecutively in worldcup games cool cool cool

Not one dt will HIT D BAR IN premiership, we no go hear word for thread grin grin grin
una no go like rest, the two lads y'all keep talking bout doesn't even know this ish is giving una sleepless nights undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:50pm On Jul 16, 2018
elyte89:
Olu omo MBAPPE,at age 19

The joke is stale already. Dry jokes bug, get us something new.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:

The joke is stale already. Dry jokes bug, get us something new.

Brother, we re just starting cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2018
I hope u guys are aware that Muazam's move to Maritimo has been scuttled by the owner of fc hearts, the Academy that bred him and Musa Mohammed. Remember same man killed Mohammed's dream move to Spain to give him away to Badaksehir who has messed up his once blossoming career?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:58pm On Jul 16, 2018
elyte89:

Brother, we re just starting cool

Behave urself angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 4:59pm On Jul 16, 2018
Chris Giwa should please leave our football alone to thrive. This shit you are about to put us into will wreck our development. For God sake can't you wait till September when NFF elections begin? Kai. The man self!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:00pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:

Behave urself angry

Sir Chriskels,na because of u o

I no fit dey misbehave as my oga don talk grin,I don comport grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:11pm On Jul 16, 2018
goldfish80:

I would prefer to list the number of ex players from our league who won the Afcon in 2013 and made the world cup 2nd round in Brazil, thereby equalling the best performance and achievement of the famous USA 94 team who about 99% of them cut their cut their teeth in the local league. By the way, Nigerias best player at this world cup, Ahmed MUSA was a product of the Nigerian local league.

That trend seems to have been botched because those players couldn't stand the test of time.

Oboabona, Uzoenyi, Agbim grin Mba(my village boy), that lanky defender from abia state Azubuike abi wetin be d boy name, Kwambe, Francis, Gambo et al are not qualities and if they are what our league have got to offer, then we should be ashamed of ourselves.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2018
solonnachi:
Chris Giwa should please leave our football alone to thrive. This shit you are about to put us into will wreck our development. For God sake can't you wait till September when NFF elections begin? Kai. The man self!!!

Na dis kinda ppl dey make me dust and lubricate my barreta. Some people need to go down to make the world a peaceful and better place to stay. Ask America
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:

That trend seems to have been botched because those players couldn't stand the test of time.

Oboabona, Uzoenyi, Agbim grin Mba(my village boy), that lanky defender from abia state Azubuike abi wetin be d boy name, Kwambe, Francis, Gambo et al are not qualities and if they are what our league have got to offer, then we should be ashamed of ourselves.
Funny enough they were members of a team which equalled your best world cup run and Afcon victory. Something your shinny overrated team have failed to match so far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:17pm On Jul 16, 2018
elyte89:

Sir Chriskels,na because of u o

I no fit dey misbehave as my oga don talk grin,I don comport grin grin

Lol this boy ehh. When next I go enter lag, I go surprise u. Me like ur way even though u chop ur sala meat forget ur man grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:19pm On Jul 16, 2018
goldfish80:

Funny enough they were members of a team which equalled your best world cup run and Afcon victory. Something your shinny overrated team have failed to match so far.

Lol so where are they now? They were mostly 24 and below in 2014, so what happened? Nobody dey hear of dem again abi dem dey hibernate grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:41pm On Jul 16, 2018
Musa Yahaya to Nantes? I would so much love that.

ChrisKels:
Seems the Nantes - Porto new found tie is gonna benefit yet another Porto B player in the person of Musa Yahaya this coming season, as it is rumoured that about 3 porto B players will continue the trend started by Awaziem who was a huge success with Nantes last season.

Fingers crossed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2018
Looks like Chelsea wants to offload Tammy Abraham with Bristol City as a likely destination.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:49pm On Jul 16, 2018
ChrisKels:

Lol so where are they now? They were mostly 24 and below in 2014, so what happened? Nobody dey hear of dem again abi dem dey hibernate grin
They served and won laurels for their country. What's my business with where they are? If the authorities who managed Nigerian football were doing the business well, they would all have been in Nigeria adding value to the game back home like the Brazilians and Argentines.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:51pm On Jul 16, 2018
tbaba1234:
Looks like Chelsea wants to offload Tammy Abraham with Bristol City as a likely destination.

Hahahahaha his forefathers in the grave aint Happy with the way he spitted in their faces. Dude could end up like Sammy Ameobi and Nedum Onuoha grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2018
Joebie:
Musa Yahaya to Nantes? I would so much love that.

He was one of the stand out players for Porto B last season and his loan move is imminent but nothing is confirmed yet, hence we have our fingers crossed for now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:57pm On Jul 16, 2018
goldfish80:

They served and won laurels for their country. What's my business with where they are? If the authorities who managed Nigerian football were doing the business well, they would all have been in Nigeria adding value to the game back home like the Brazilians and Argentines.

I no get strength for another argument bro.

Good evening. Hope u had a nice day?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:02pm On Jul 16, 2018
Ahmed Musa to Saudi Arabia?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:19pm On Jul 16, 2018
tbaba1234:
That's his level to be honest.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4414) (4415) (4416) (4417) (4418) (4419) (4420) ... (16094) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BascoVanVeli(m), caprikon, M7even(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.