Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4422) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11519425 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4419) (4420) (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) ... (16090) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:34pm On Jul 17, 2018
forgiveness:

Only Orji has adapted quickly to high standard European league. The rest are still coming up. Though Osimhen is in the Bundusliga but he's still struggling for game time.

Hopefully, these lads break through this season. I really like Kingsley Michael and Chukwueze.

I think Osimhen is close to Orji. Might not have goals but he has notched a couple starts and I am sure he will get a look this year. He is closer to the Wolfsburg first XI than Orji is to Bolognas'.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:24am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I don't think a lot of them can even play football let alone know what they are talking about. They can say what they want but the template has been set in gold, Giroud is a world champion with 0 shots on target in 6 matches. Even Gabriel Jesus did not receive half of the flack Ighalo got and he had miss after miss no goals in 5 matches.
I just don't feel real fans should act like that because the players are human like us they can also make mistakes. I am just happy that the guy didn't allow all that rubbish to destroy his confidence. Who would want to play on a team that mistakes are not allowed? Nigeria is not Brazil or Germany!! We have no right to even think about asking for perfection.

Giroud's record for France is far better than Ighalo for Nigeria.

Ighalo has simply not produced for years. He has had more poor/average games than good games.

Nigeria has had strikers in the past that hold up play. Yakubu had a good hold up game but he also scored goals.

There is very little to defend Ighalo with.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:12am On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Our Academies are improving and gradually we are getting it right age wise. The previous ones found it so hard because most had passed their formative(learning) stages and even their primes when we paraded them as U17s.

Guy if u come to Diamond Football Academy umuahia, u will agree with me that we have some good Academies. At Diamond, ur original first school leaving cert is ur primary credential to get admitted, in fact they dont normally take students who aint in secondary schools unless u are extremely good, so no how u gonna doctor ur age and it has grades, hence u are placed where ur age falls. They already have a club in the Portuguese third division where they give their top talents that first European exposure to prepare them well.

shebi i dey talk am say only first school leaving certificate is the way forward to control age falsification.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 6:25am On Jul 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I think it has to do with the method Emmanuel Amunike employed in the selection of his players. He worked more with the European tiki taka ideology which made a seamless transition of the players to the European clubs.
Amunike is so knowledgeable, only if he were in the place of salisu, we would have started seeing some beautiful football from the SE b team, feel like all he needs to be a top coach in the not to distant future is the exposure and experience of managing. if only he was the one talking some sense into gernot head in Russia!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:59am On Jul 18, 2018
Loogan:

Amunike is so knowledgeable, only if he were in the place of salisu, we would have started seeing some beautiful football from the SE b team, feel like all he needs to be a top coach in the not to distant future is the exposure and experience of managing. if only he was the one talking some sense into gernot head in Russia!

Amuneke did not do very well in Sudan.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:16am On Jul 18, 2018
Chico Ofoedu has joined Israeli club, Maccabi Haifa. Used to be one of the most talented players in the Nigerian league but he has been playing in the Turkish 2nd division.

Good or bad move?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:54am On Jul 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

When I watched Nmecha, I was not convinced with his play but looks a versatile and technical player like Danillo. I think that is why Guardiola likes the young man a lot. Nmecha must have gained a lot working regularly with Guardiola.

His first touch and movement showed he is very talented looking at his age.

Watch very well and you will see what I am seeing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:34am On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

Sunderland’s Asoro prefers Nigeria to Sweden

by David Ngobua @Ngobuadavid

Joel Joshghene Asoro who plays for English Championship side, Sunderland has expressed readiness to switch allegiance from Sweden to represent the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Although he has represented Sweden at the U-17 and U-20 level, the attacking midfielder’s parents are Nigerians and so he is eligible to play for the Super Eagles.
A confidant of the player, who spoke to Daily Trust on condition of anonymity, said the youngster is willing to dump Sweden for Nigeria, if the Super Eagles coach would give him a chance.

He said the strong forward is ready to give the other strikers in the Super Eagles a fight for shirt in the team that will represent Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

“It is true that Joel has featured for Sweden at the junior levels but he is keen on playing for his fatherland.
“Although he was born and brought up in Sweden, his parents are Nigerians and he is yet to feature for Sweden at the national level.

“Joel will bring attacking options to the national team so if I have access to the national team handlers, I would ask them to give the youngster a chance to fight for shirt in the Super Eagles.

“He said he is ready to come if invited. He is also ready to fight for shirt for the 2018 World Cup,” said the player’s associate.

Asoro signed for English side Sunderland in 2015 but made his professional debut on 21 August 2016, in the league against Middlesbrough.

The 18 year old, who has played 9 times for the Sweden U-21 side made his debut when he started in the 1-1 draw against Spain on 5 September 2016 and also scored the last goal in the team’s 3-0 victory over Estonia on 6 October 2016.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/amplite/sunderland-s-asoro-prefers-nigeria-to-sweden.html

Since he is 18, U20 Team handlers over to you.

Or maybe he is no longer elligle for our youth teams.

It is high time the NFF organizes a friendly for young up coming talent like the one against Athletico Madrid. We need to see alot of these players perform first before flooding them into the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:41am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:
Chico Ofoedu has joined Israeli club, Maccabi Haifa. Used to be one of the most talented players in the Nigerian league but he has been playing in the Turkish 2nd division.

Good or bad move?

Chikeluba Ofoedu, just like Chisom Chikatara, Jude Aneke, Egbuchulam, and others. Make name in the NPFL dash out of the country and disappear from the radar.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 8:43am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Amuneke did not do very well in Sudan.
Not cutting him any slack but there are other reasons aside from the pitch that can make a coach not get results. The conditions or talent at his disposal might not have favored his ideas.
For example It’s hard to see very technically gifted players in Sudan league, something which is crucial for amunikes philosophy. He’s shown he’s a good coach we can’t judge him solely on his league performances in a sub par league at that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:53am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Good or bad move?
Goldfish80 this is the guy you were talking about
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:58am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I don't think a lot of them can even play football let alone know what they are talking about. They can say what they want but the template has been set in gold, Giroud is a world champion with 0 shots on target in 6 matches. Even Gabriel Jesus did not receive half of the flack Ighalo got and he had miss after miss no goals in 5 matches.
I just don't feel real fans should act like that because the players are human like us they can also make mistakes. I am just happy that the guy didn't allow all that rubbish to destroy his confidence. Who would want to play on a team that mistakes are not allowed? Nigeria is not Brazil or Germany!! We have no right to even think about asking for perfection.
Giroud plays much better for France than Ighalo can ever dream of for us.
There's a reason why Deschamps brought him back to the lineup sharpish. I like Ighalo but he messed up at the WC and the friendlies.
Giroud gets criticized as well (probably even more as he's Benzema's replacement) but he just moves on with it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:07am On Jul 18, 2018
'We kill them, Messi or no Messi´ - Pogba´s pre-Argentina World Cup speech revealed
18 July 2018

Paul Pogba delivered an inspired speech before France's World Cup last-16 win over Argentina, telling his team-mates "today we kill them, Messi or no Messi".

France claimed their second world title thanks to Sunday's 4-2 victory against Croatia in Moscow and Pogba's influence on the dressing room has been telling amid the celebrations.

Pogba made a number of speeches en route to the decider and footage of his comments prior to France's thrilling 4-3 triumph at the expense of Lionel Messi's Argentina in Kazan has emerged.

"I want to see warriors on the field guys," Pogba told his team-mates in a scene from a documentary aired by TF1. "I don't want to go home!

"We will finish happy! I want to party tonight. I want to be dead on the field, all together! I want men, warriors, soldiers.

"Today we will 'kill' them. Messi or no Messi I don't care! We come to win this f****** World Cup!"

On a la Coupe du Monde @equipedefrance #fiersdetrebleus #WorldCup2018 pic.twitter.com/JineJg8IMR

— Paul Pogba (@paulpogba) July 16, 2018
Manchester United midfielder Pogba was at it again before France defeated 10-man Uruguay 2-0 in Nizhny Novgorod for a place in the World Cup semi-finals.

"That's it, there is no turning back anymore," said Pogba. "That's it! We're going to continue, we're gonna go all the way! See you on July 15th - all together!

"Today Blaise [Matuidi who was banned for the quarter-final clash due to an accumulation of yellow cards] is on the bench, he's disappointed, he's annoyed! He wants to play more than anyone else on the pitch! He's bummed!

"It's for guys like him that we fight today! He's not going to be there on the pitch, but it will be as if he was there with us. Everyone needs to bring their A game!

"And now we're going to fight for our partners, like we did before! Argentina and maybe even more! Even more! Always more! We have to beat the best to be the best!"
Attitude is everything. They went and conquered with the right mindset.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:10am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

To be candid Ighalo failed and Nigerians always look for scapegoat and he fit the bill for missing the two chances.No matter the explanation you put in nobody is ready to listen,remember Ighalo is not popular and he failed woefully to correct that impression when it matter most.I remember seeing him being compared with Lokosa, just to tell you he wasn't rated.

Sir did you see anyone castigating Iheanacho poor playing at WC as Ighalo,that's it.Hope you are hearing Rohr didn't give Iwobi enough playing time whereas the same Iwobi was originally in Nigeria WC XI but a flop against Croatia but guess what he was played out of position as if not the same Iwobi of arsenal.

I remember a lot don't want to see Omeruo in Nigeria team preferring very average Awaziem and overrated Ekong but just too glaring Omeruo is better than the duo and thank God he made the team.

Ekong cost us Croatia match but did yiu see guys pointing this out.First goal he left his man and second goal he wrestled his man and caused the penalty.Good not Omeruo cos a lot would have criticised him with different names calling

I remember many flanks Aina received especially against Congo for the foul he commited which was even outside the box but when my talented Ebuehi gave out two glaring penalties against Iceland with one awarded,excuses arised to the point that some put the blame on Omeruo for the foul which should be Ebuehi responsibility.

I'm saying this to let you know that sometimes emotions override our football reasonings

Sir I think Rohr just need to change his style of managing the team if he want to succeed as eagle's coach.

Brian Idowu had a very average WC and it brought a question why did Echiejile made the team when Ebuehi came in for Idowu against Iceland when we have a natural LB in Echiejile on the bench then why was Aina dropped.

It would have been better to have young Aina on the bench just like we have Awaziem on the bench,meaning the dropping of Aina and Agu was wrong since Rohr lack confidence in Echiejile and Joel Obi.

I remember saying i hope Simy would not be another Nwofor at WC not doubting his talent but a striker that made WC just cos he had late run in Seria A and 7goals in a season and suddenly turned to a gold that we are looking for meaning something was wrong.

I'm one of Shehu advocates here but pre WC friendlies told us that Ebuehi should be a starter but surprisedly we saw Shehu against Croatia.The same Shehu that failed to exact himself against Argentina, England, Poland,Czech and even Congo.

I thought Rohr would rearranged his team with superlative performance of Ebuehi against Argentina with Aina as back up as RB/RWB cos they are better than makeshift Shehu and put Idowu and Echiejile who Rohr still believe in as LB and pushed Shehu to the midfield since he was even ahead of Agu in the same position in Buraspor and drop Joel but really surprised that Rohr failed to see this simple adaptive changes.

Sir do we need to blame any player?NO but Rohr who failed to identify his XI for WC and this started after our victory against Argentina in a friendly.I told icon4s that Argentina Victory would be our greatest undue and it manifested in series of our friendlies prior to WC.

I thought Rohr would continue with Argentina match XI and do highly tactical changes by replacing player who failed to meet up in subsequent friendlies but against Poland reverse was the case.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:11am On Jul 18, 2018
Ighalo on his return got a goal for his club yesterday. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:56am On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
To be candid Ighalo failed and Nigerians always look for scapegoat and he fit the bill for missing the two chances.No matter the explanation you put in nobody is ready to listen,remember Ighalo is not popular and he failed woefully to correct that impression when it matter most.I remember seeing him being compared with Lokosa, just to tell you he wasn't rated.

Sir did you see anyone castigating Iheanacho poor playing at WC as Ighalo,that's it.Hope you are hearing Rohr didn't give Iwobi enough playing time whereas the same Iwobi was originally in Nigeria WC XI but a flop against Croatia but guess what he was played out of position as if not the same Iwobi of arsenal.

I remember a lot don't want to see Omeruo in Nigeria team preferring very average Awaziem and overrated Ekong but just too glaring Omeruo is better than the duo and thank God he made the team.

Ekong cost us Croatia match but did yiu see guys pointing this out.First goal he left his man and second goal he wrestled his man and caused the penalty.Good not Omeruo cos a lot would have criticised him with different names calling

I remember many flanks Aina received especially against Congo for the foul he committed which was even outside the box but when my talented Ebuehi committed two glaring penalties against Iceland with one awarded,excuses arised to the point that some put the blame on Omeruo for the foul committed by Ebuehi.

I'm saying this to let you know that sometimes emotions override our football reasonings

Sir I think Rohr just need to change his style of managing the team if he want to succeed as eagle's coach.

Brian Idowu had a very average WC and it brought a question why did Echiejile made the team when Ebuehi came in for Idowu against Iceland when we have a natural LB in Echiejile on the bench then why was Aina dropped.

It would have been better to have young Aina on the bench just like we have Awaziem on the bench,meaning the dropping of Aina and Agu was wrong since Rohr lack confidence in Echiejile and Joel Obi.

I remember saying i hope Simy would not be another Nwofor at WC not doubting his talent but a striker that made WC just cos he had late run in Seria A and 7goals in a season and suddenly turned to a gold that we are looking for meaning something was wrong.

I'm one of Shehu advocates here but pre WC friendlies told us that Ebuehi should be a starter but surprisedly we saw Shehu against Croatia.The same Shehu that failed to exact himself against Argentina, England, Poland,Czech and even Congo.

I thought Rohr would rearranged his team with superlative performance of Ebuehi against Argentina with Aina as back up as RB/RWB cos they are better than makeshift Shehu and put Idowu and Echiejile who Rohr still believe in as LB and pushed Shehu to the midfield since he was even ahead of Agu in the same position in Buraspor and drop Joel but really surprised that Rohr failed to see this simple adaptive changes.

Sir do we need to blame any player?NO but Rohr who failed to identify his XI for WC and this started after our victory against Argentina in a friendly.I told icon4s that Argentina Victory would be our greatest undue and it manifested in series of our friendlies prior to WC.

I thought Rohr would continue with Argentina match XI and do highly tactical changes by replacing player who failed to meet up in subsequent friendlies but against Poland reverse was the case.

It is called selective criticism. As much as Nigerians want to kill Ighalo for the infamous miss, the gospel truth is that the miss against Argentina will not rank inside the top 10 miss of the tournament.
off the top of my head, Lukaku, Thomas Muller, Keane, those Peruvian strikers had more guilt edge misses much more worse than Ighalos.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:03am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Goldfish80 this is the guy you were talking about
You're correct. The guy is good enough to play at the highest level his talent really deserves. I consider him a victim of the poor Nigerian structure and management. He is the kind of talent that if he was Brazilian, top European clubs would have cut corners to sign him up for silly money at 19yrs old.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:09am On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:

I remember many flanks Aina received especially against Congo for the foul he committed which was even outside the box but when my talented Ebuehi committed two glaring penalties against Iceland with one awarded,excuses arised to the point that some put the blame on Omeruo for the foul committed by Ebuehi.

See, let us not mince words. Ighalo has not produced as a striker. There is no way to get past this reality. Even before the WC, these concerns were raised. As a person, I like Ighalo because of his charitable deeds but as Nigeria's striker, he simply has not produced. And yes, if a striker misses two glaring chances in an important game, he will be a scapegoat. We played Ighalo friendly after friendly after friendly.. He simply did not cut it. Players make mistakes but Ighalo's barren spell for Nigeria has lasted too long. Agali and Yakubu also held up the ball but they scored goals so i do not understand this hold up play argument. Giroud has scored plenty goals for France.

Iheanacho's performance is no excuse for Ighalo. The reason why Musa and Iheanacho started the last two games was because the Ighalo option was not working. If Iheanacho missed two clear chances, he will be getting heat too.

After the first game, Ekong made mistakes but he played well in subsequent games. I pointed out Ekong's mistakes on this page. So saying, guys did not point out Ekong's mistakes is false. Omeruo was at fault for Argentina's first goal by the way. He got beaten on his blind side. If it is about blame, there is plenty to go around.

The penalty caused by Ebuehi. Ofcourse, Omeruo shares the blame.. Did you not see the replay? That does not exonerate Ebuehi by the way. It is not one way or the other. Both players made mistakes. if you are objective in this case, you will see that. That does not take away the fact that Omeruo had a MOTM performance in that game. That is a balanced view.

I think Rohr tried to reward the players that took him to the WC and was reluctant to change. He needed to select the best possible team. It took a loss to Croatia for him to change things around. Everyone knew our best system was 3:5:2 and that Elderson was finished. Anyway, i hope he learns his lessons as we move forward.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:09am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Giroud plays much better for France than Ighalo can ever dream of for us.
There's a reason why Deschamps brought him back to the lineup sharpish. I like Ighalo but he messed up at the WC and the friendlies.
Giroud gets criticized as well (probably even more as he's Benzema's replacement) but he just moves on with it.

Compared to Ighalo Giroud was piss poor. Never completed a hold up play just heading balls to nowhere in particular. Not a single shot on target says a l.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:12am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

It is called selective criticism. As much as Nigerians want to kill Ighalo for the infamous miss, the gospel truth is that the miss against Argentina will not rank inside the top 10 miss of the tournament.
off the top of my head, Lukaku, Thomas Muller, Keane, those Peruvian strikers had more guilt edge misses much more worse than Ighalos.
At WC i don't blame players much but coaches,too glaring Rohr was bereaved of ideas when it matter most and against Argentina all he needed was bring in fresh Onazi,Ogu or Joel to replace tired Mikel and Etebo and round up the game.

Westerhoff did this against Italy with Oliha and Adepoju to absorb the pressure and if not for Oliseh childish clearance we would have beat Italy.

Rohr need to update himself tactically by getting a quality assistants cos in the next 6 months enough talents for Nigeria national teams and only coach with tactical awareness w be able to handle those boys.

Rohr and Aigbogun have a lot of work to do tactically.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:14am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

You're correct. The guy is good enough to play at the highest level his talent really deserves. I consider him a victim of the poor Nigerian structure and management. He is the kind of talent that if he was Brazilian, top European clubs would have cut corners to sign him up for silly money at 19yrs old.

He has been playing in the second tier in Turkey for years and no top Turkish side deemed it fit to sign him all these years.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 10:17am On Jul 18, 2018
Should the title of this thread not be changed now? undecidedRussia 2018 is over
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:18am On Jul 18, 2018
isan:
Should the title of this thread not be changed now? undecidedRussia 2018 is over
Yes you are right
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:21am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

He has been playing in the second tier in Turkey for years and no top Turkish side deemed it fit to sign him all these years.
Could be because he's a bad player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 18, 2018
What is the point of giving any consideration to Igahlo's new record in China.

Was it done in a competitive league? No.

Has he ever delivered for us? No.

Will he ever delivered for us in the future? No.

What a waste of a WC spot.

*spits*

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:31am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

See, let us not mince words. Ighalo has not produced as a striker. There is no way to get past this reality. Even before the WC, these concerns were raised. As a person, I like Ighalo because of his charitable deeds but as Nigeria's striker, he simply has not produced. And yes, if a striker misses two glaring chances in an important game, he will be a scapegoat. We played Ighalo friendly after friendly after friendly.. He simply did not cut it. Players make mistakes but Ighalo's barren spell for Nigeria has lasted too long. Agali and Yakubu also held up the ball but they scored goals so i do not understand this hold up play argument. Giroud has scored plenty goals for France.

Iheanacho's performance is no excuse for Ighalo. The reason why Musa and Iheanacho started the last two games was because the Ighalo option was not working. If Iheanacho missed two clear chances, he will be getting heat too.

After the first game, Ekong made mistakes but he played well in subsequent games. I pointed out Ekong's mistakes on this page. So saying, guys did not point out Ekong's mistakes is false. Omeruo was at fault for Argentina's first goal by the way. He got beaten on his blind side. If it is about blame, there is plenty to go around.

The penalty caused by Ebuehi. Ofcourse, Omeruo shares the blame.. Did you not see the replay? That does not exonerate Ebuehi by the way. It is not one way or the other. Both players made mistakes. if you are objective in this case, you will see that. That does not take away the fact that Omeruo had a MOTM performance in that game. That is a balanced view.

I think Rohr tried to reward the players that took him to the WC and was reluctant to change. He needed to select the best possible team. It took a loss to Croatia for him to change things around. Everyone knew our best system was 3:5:2 and that Elderson was finished. Anyway, i hope he learns his lessons as we move forward.

My point is why selective criticism.

Yes you are right,a good Ighalo would not have brought Iheanacho in but a solid Iheanacho against Argentina would not have brought Ighalo in.

I drew out my fear before WC about Ighalo and Iheanacho goal drought but some see it as comparison.

On Ebuehi penalty, have watched the replay and i know your point.Omeruo wanted to go for the ball but suddenly relaxed his movement and this brought a little bit confusion to Ebuehi but despite that Ebuehi should have done better.

On Ekong i knew he improved on his performance after Croatia but i know if it was Omeruo against Croatia with such performance some would have cursed him to high heaven.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:33am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Could be because he's a bad player.

I don't think, he is a bad player. I see a lot of good highlights but he has run down his contract a few times without getting better teams. Poor management might be his biggest problem not talent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:40am On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
My point is why selective criticism.

Yes you are right,a good Ighalo would not have brought Iheanacho in but a solid Iheanacho against Argentina would not have brought Ighalo in.

I drew out my fear before WC about Ighalo and Iheanacho goal drought but some see it as comparison.

On Ebuehi penalty, have watched the replay and i know your point.Omeruo wanted to go for the ball but suddenly relaxed his movement and this brought a little bit confusion to Ebuehi but despite that Ebuehi should have done better.

On Ekong i knew he improved on his performance after Croatia but i know if it was Omeruo against Croatia with such performance some would have cursed him to high heaven.

Ighalo gets most criticism because he is the one that missed crucial chances. Yakubu had a great Nigeria career but many people can not forget his miss against south korea.

What is clear to me is that Nigeria needs new strikers. I hope Awoniyi, Sadiq, Dessers etc are given a chance. Ighalo should be gradually eased into international retirement.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:43am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

I don't think, he is a bad player. I see a lot of good highlights but he has run down his contract a few times without getting better teams. Poor management might be his biggest problem not talent.
That is why I said he was a victim of Nigeria and poor management. He shouldn't have moved from Rangers to Turkish Tigg2 in the first place. Although he had options at Germany and Rosenberg which didn't come through.
I think Rosenberg didn't sign him due to foreign player quota. It is tough being Nigerian.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:44am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ighalo gets most criticism because he is the one that missed crucial chances. Yakubu had a great Nigeria career but many people can not forget his miss against south korea miss.

What is clear to me is that Nigeria needs new strikers. I hope Awoniyi, Sadiq, Dessers etc are given a chance. Ighalo should be gradually eased into international retirement.
Do you honestly think the Ighalo miss is comparable to Yakubu's?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:47am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Do you honestly think the Ighalo miss is comparable to Yakubu's?

In Importance, probably more important.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:57am On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
At WC i don't blame players much but coaches,too glaring Rohr was bereaved of ideas when it matter most and against Argentina all he needed was bring in fresh Onazi,Ogu or Joel to replace tired Mikel and Etebo and round up the game.

Westerhoff did this against Italy with Oliha and Adepoju to absorb the pressure and if not for Oliseh childish clearance we would have beat Italy.

Rohr need to update himself tactically by getting a quality assistants cos in the next 6 months enough talents for Nigeria national teams and only coach with tactical awareness w be able to handle those boys.

Rohr and Aigbogun have a lot of work to do tactically.
Rohr started getting it wrong in the Argentina game from the personnel he started the game with. Starting Iheanacho was a tactical suicide because the decision cost him valuable substitution slot, having reduced his subs to just 2 by bringing Ighalo on to rectify the error.

If Ighalo had started, Rohr would have had more tactical flexibility and the affirmation to sub him off in the 2nd half for a defensive midfielder to sure up the game. The reason Rohr was cut in a no man's land to bring on subs who will close the game out, was because he couldn't sub Ighalo out who was a sub himself. This was the reason he was helpless at the dugout, knowing Ighalo was one of his biggest players.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4419) (4420) (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) ... (16090) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, ddone and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.