Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,220 members, 7,780,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11320765 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16040) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Oliseh and Enyeama complained about Kaduna. Amaju Pinnick was not smart enough to listen to the professionals. He sent our foreign pros there.

Iwobi and Carl Ikeme had stomach upsets there.

Yet Pinnick insists we must continue there.

They interfere with the line ups, players called, the coaching crew the coach must use.

If these men know too much, they should pull their Kaftans and Agbalanze, were track suits and Coach the team. I am tired of their careless mismanagement.
Personally, about this consistent use of Kaduna as THE ALTERNATIVE VENUE FOR ABUJA(THAT IS SUNPROOF), I smell some political power behind that decision. the power is so strong that the coach can't even resist the decision.

Lagos, Ilaro, Abuja in that order, have the craziest set of supporters that can make opponents to be disturbed, yet Kaduna for the last 7games?

grin grin. @ pull off Kaftans. Can't wait for this can of worms to spill. Even the lid is weakened by the pressure of this corruption/political sentiment that we are experiencing. smh.

It's not coincidence that our best coaches are turned to foo.ls, stupid when they handle the National team.

Besides, what's the win-loss record of that Kaduna stadium sef?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 7:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Israel
Oshaniwa bags second red card in Scotland
[/size]
Nigeria international Juwon Oshaniwa returned to action for his Scottish club Hearts today only for him to get his second red card this season.

Oshaniwa has not featured for the Scottish club in the last three games.

The former FC Ashdod of Israel left back was sent off for a second booking in the concluding minute of the game, which Hearts lost 3-1 at Celtic.

His first caution in the game was in the 41st minute.

This is Oshaniwa's second red card since he switched to Hearts, his first being on September 11th, 2015 in a 2-0 loss at Inverness.

His last game before this match was on 20th February in 2-1 loss at Dundee United where he lasted for 46 minutes.

His compatriot Abiola Dauda was an 82nd minute substitute for Prince Buaben, while Efe Ambrose was an unused sub for Celtic.
africanfootball.com/news/623484/Oshaniwa-bags-second-red-card-in-Scotland
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:05pm On Apr 02, 2016
daveP:
Personally, about this consistent use of Kaduna as THE ALTERNATIVE VENUE FOR ABUJA(THAT IS SUNPROOF), I smell some political power behind that decision. the power is so strong that the coach can't even resist the decision.

Lagos, Ilaro, Abuja in that order, have the craziest set of supporters that can make opponents to be disturbed, yet Kaduna for the last 7games?

grin grin. @ pull off Kaftans. Can't wait for this can of worms to spill. Even the lid is weakened by the pressure of this corruption/political sentiment that we are experiencing. smh.

It's not coincidence that our best coaches are turned to foo.ls, stupid when they handle the National team.

Besides, what's the win-loss record of that Kaduna stadium sef?

I still do not understand why Coach Siasia dropped Iheanacho for Aminu in the second leg. After reports said Iheanacho was the most clinical in training and Iheanacho had a good game in the first leg. Our only goal came from his shot that bounced off the bar.

Someone needs to teach these NFF men a lesson. They held the country hostage for too long.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:05pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Oliseh tried to show strong head, refused their list. They dealt with him by sending him to South Africa to camp for the CHAN without food. Sent him to the tournament in a two star hotel with poor food and without allowances for the players.

I believe they sent the team to Kaduna for Coach Oliseh to fail. Unfortunately, Coach Siasia found himself in the middle of the war.

Knowing how the media paint stories, I won't be surprised that Oliseh was the bolder to come out and face NFF. remember this same NFF tried same during his playing days.

well like Sir Alex Ferguson's book revealed, I can't but wait for an ex-international who would brace up and expose NFF for what, who they really are.

their Pride is more important that the Success of the senior national team. where in the world does that happen?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
daveP:

Knowing how the media paint stories, I won't be surprised that Oliseh is the bolder to come out and face NFF. remember this same NFF tried same during his playing days.

well like Sir Alex Ferguson's book revealed, I can't but wait for an ex-international who would brace up and expose NFF for what, who they really are.

their Pride is more important that the Success of the senior national team. where in the world does that happen?

Like Sepp Blatter, their Cup will soon be full. How can they treat Coach Keshi like that after all he did for us. See how they treated Coach Okpala. Imagine Eguavoen owed for ages.

They mess up the team, fill their players in the squad and sack the coaches for not delivering.

Everyday for the thief, one day for the owner.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I still do not understand why Coach Siasia dropped Iheanacho for Aminu in the second leg. After reports said Iheanacho was the most clinical in training and Iheanacho had a good game in the first leg. Our only goal came from his shot that bounced off the bar.

Someone needs to teach these NFF men a lesson. They held the country hostage for too long.
I think I've just found an assignment to investigate with. but Aminu and Musa who both contributed lil, were preferred over Iwobi, Iheanacho.

Every relegation threatened manager would definitely use the best legs he has, unless of course, some kinda backstage problem is there- fact.

we all know who Siasia is. He isn't that stupi.d!!!

Lord help and deliver SE from bad cockerels

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Like Sepp Blatter, their Cup will soon be full. How can they treat Coach Keshi like that after all he did for us. See how they treated Coach Okpala. Imagine Eguavoen owed for ages.

They mess up the team, fill their players in the squad and sack the coaches for not delivering.

Everyday for the thief, one day for the owner.
yeah, but il like that of Issa Hayato to happen before that of NFF happens. 29years in charge of African football and it is this bad... investigation needed. but what can we do, but watch.

they can owe indigenous coaches, but write fat sums in contracts for foreign coaches and rarely do we hear these men complain that they are being owed. Keshi got some respect from the NFF cos he went to work miracles with two other African teams, nothing else. yet see how he was treated?

Time for Indigenous coaches to start looking outside, if that would at least earn them respect from NFF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 8:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
IWOBI WINS ANOTHER MAN OF THE MATCH AWARD
[/size]

Alex Iwobi was once again voted the Barclays man of the match after scoring and playing a role in Arsenal’s opening goal in their 4-0 thrashing of Watford.

19 year old Iwobi lifted a well weighted pass over the top for Alexis Sanchez whose header was punched by Gomez in goal for Watford before the Chilean pounced on the rebound to open scoring for the Gunners.

Sanchez turned provided for Iwobi as Arsenal’s free flowing football ended in the back of Watford net for 2-0 with the 19 year old Nigerian racing clear to finish a cross from the Chilean.

Iwobi has now won two man of the match award in both premier league games he’s started for Arsenal a sure proof that manager Arsene Wenger is right in preferring him ahead of Theo Walcot in the Arsenal starting line up.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/02/iwobi-wins-another-man-of-the-match-award/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

With what Aminu Umar showed on in Alexandria, it seems to me like even Isaac Duccess would have done better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 8:31pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
READ WHAT FOOTBALL GREATS ARE SAYING ABOUT ALEX IWOBI
[/size]

Alex Iwobi has taken the Premier League by storm this season picking up back to back man of the match award in his first two premier league start for the gunners.

His form has lead to positive comments from some of football respected voices.

Mesut Ozil: ” What he is doing at the age of 19 is amazing, he does everything as and at when due, certainly has a bright future ahead of him”.

Michael Owen: “He is a lift to this Arsenal team, his breakthrough is astonishing considering he wasn’t much talked about before the start of the season like Marcus Rashford at Man United he is one for the future”.

Thierry Henry: “Iwobi is an extra ordinary talent not just for what he is doing on the pitch but off it as well, cool, calm, willing to learn and level headed, you have to love his humble nature despite his success on the pitch”.

Arsene Wenger: “I am pleased with his talent but even more with his attitude and willingness to learn, he has been here since he was seven or eight. He’s fearless and very mobile”.
owngoalnigeria.com/2016/04/02/read-what-football-greats-are-saying-about-alex-iwobi/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Echiejile Backs Monaco For Champions League Spot Despite Defeat
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles defender‎ Elderson Echiejile says Monaco were unlucky to have lost 2-1 at home to Ligue 1 relegation battlers Bordeaux who did a double on the Les Douges on Friday.

It was Monaco's first ‎defeat in their last nine games and Echiejile is still confident of a second place Ligue 1 finish despite their five-point gap on third place being cut short to two in the race for one remaining automatic qualifying place for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

‎"It was a painful loss and the fact that it's the third time Monaco are losing to Bordeaux this season," Echiejile told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

"But I'm confident that we will finish second and qualify for the UEFA Champions League next season."

Echiejile also remarked that the Super Eagles ouster from the 2017 AFCON‎ could be a catalyst for the team's performance in the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

"We disappointed many and I believe the lesson‎ learnt will help stay stronger as a group when the World Cup qualifier begins," he added.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/echiejile-backs-monaco-champions-league-spot-despite-defeat/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:19pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Pato Scores On Chelsea Debut, Mikel Shines As Villa Crumble
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Alexandre Pato scored on his debut as Chelsea thrashed Aston Villa 4-0 at Villa Park in the English Premier League lunch time kick-off on Saturday.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Pedro, who had a brace, were the other scorers for Chelsea.

The win lifts Chelsea to ninth in the league table while Aston Villa remain rooted to the bottom.

Pedro almost registered the first goal of the game under 15 minutes but his curler went just over the bar.

Villa came close through Alan Hutton’s cross but Cesar Azpilicueta headed away for a corner.

In the 18th minute, Chelsea had the ball in the net off a Cesc Fabregas pass but it was ruled for offside.

Villa had a chance a few minutes later via Jordan Ayew but his shot took a deflection and went for a corner.

The home side came close through Joleon Lescott header from a corner which Baba Rahman cleared away.

In the 24th minute Pato was introduced for Loic Remy who went off injured.

Chelsea finally opened the scoring in the 26th minute through Ruben Loftus-Cheek whose shot took a slight deflection off Lescott.

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi, who conrolled the midfield for 90 minutes, played a key role in the opening goal. He beat two Villa players with a brilliant piece of skill in central midfield before spreading the ball wide for the cross that led to the goal.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/pato-scores-chelsea-debut-mikel-shines-villa-crumble/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:30pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
I can't force Pinnick to resign for 2017 Afcon failure, says Dalung
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/82/a2/amaju-pinnick_10p9w048qqn7819bcmbd0u5u5j.jpg?t=-1148560056&w=620&h=430[/img]
The sports minister says he has no authority to remove the NFF president following the country’s inability to qualify for Gabon 2017
Nigeria's Sports minister Solomon Dalung has said he has no powers to authorise the resignation of Amaju Pinnick as president of Nigeria Football Federation following the country's failure to qualify for Gabon 2017.

Pinnick is under fire with increasing calls for his resignation following the Super Eagles' failure to qualify for a second consecutive Africa Cup of Nations after a 1-0 defeat to Egypt. But the NFF boss declared that he would not resign and instead would see out his four-year tenure.

Dalung blamed Nigeria’s exit on administrative infighting and impact of needless hiring and firing of Super Eagles’ coaches with three different coaches – Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia in charge.

"I can't force him [Amaju Pinnick] to resign," Dalung said at a press conference in Abuja on Friday.
"I will advise [Nigerians] need a more persuasive army to put pressure on his conscience, so that he can reason with you.

"Except if you say I should resign, I will reflect and see whether I’ve acted in any way that I deserve to leave, then I will quit.

"If you are asking the NFF president to resign and directing the question to me that’s not fair because I’m not Amaju (Pinnick).

"The hiring and firing of coaches itself is a problem and when shall we have an end to it.

"I've always argued that if the coaches have always been wrong and NFF has been right? The number of coaches they have fired showed something is wrong with them (NFF).

"We have to look at both sides of the coin to assess the problem. My few days I think we have over project personal interest over and above national interest.

"You don't assess someone by just one performance. You give the person ample opportunity and generate accurate data to assess before you pass a fair verdict.

"The hiring and firing of our coaches’ just on one outing speaks volume of our sense of judgment. I think it's not the best for Nigeria football and must end now.”

"I'm hearing for the first time that Siasia has been sacked. As much as I feel unhappy that we did not qualify, I think it is normal for us to x-ray the whole activities before apportioning blame. I've not been communicated that Siasia has been fired,” he continued.

"We are here to discuss the development of sports and not to attack personalities. I will defend Oliseh many times and Nigerians too. I'm a human right activist and do not decide matters on mere sentiments. I hold on to issues before i take them. I cannot go and pick social media gossip and domesticate it.

"My officials position when they were saying 'sack Oliseh' and I only asked the NFF to go and have a rethink if they feel sacking Oliseh will be in the interest of our qualification.

"That may have helped them to safe Oliseh, but I didn't save Oliseh as a person but for the interest of the country.

"If Oliseh's role is instrumental to our failure, Tuesday meeting will bring it out. And I will know where take it from that point.”

On plans to engage a foreign coach, Dalung considered the NFF’s move as opinion seeking polls from Nigerians and further questioned their rationale.

He added: “Maybe people are trying to test the opinion of Nigerians over the issues of a foreign coach on the social.

“I think when we discuss, I need to be carried along and I need to be convinced on why we need a foreign coach.

“And if we finally agree on a foreign coach, they will also answer this question why we can't get a National coach from Nigeria.

"Then that will be an indictment on our country. Certainly we have qualified ourselves as incompetent to continue. But I believe we can make good of any bad situation,” he concluded.

Dalung is expected to make his stands known after his next Tuesday meeting with NFF to assess the country's 2017 Afcon failed qualification and seek a way forward.
m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/17252/super-eagles/2016/04/02/21910952/i-cant-force-pinnick-to-resign-for-2017-afcon-failure-says
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 10:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Overhaul NFF now, fans insist
[/size]

Football fans in Ondo State have blamed the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for Nigeria’s exit from 2017 African Cup of Nations competition and called for “total overhaul’’ of the federation.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the Super Eagles fell 0-1 to the Pharaohs of Egypt in Alexandra in the return leg of their qualification match on Tuesday. Both teams drew 1-1 in Kaduna in the first leg.

In separate telephone interviews, the fans told NAN on Saturday in Okitipupa, that NFF toyed with the qualification by sacking Stephen Keshi in preference for Sunday Oliseh.

The fans also kicked against the plan by the federation to employ a foreign coach for the Super Eagles, saying that that was not the solution to the problem.

Kayode Bamiduro, a radio sports presenter, said that Nigeria’s failure to qualify for AFCON for two consecutive times was an embarrassment, and insisted that the NFF should be overhauled.

“The NFF should bow their head in shame because they are responsible for this embarrassment; I think the NFF needs total overhauling.

“The current leadership of NFF should give way for people who have knowledge of football and the interest of the country at heart to pilot the affairs,’’ Bamiduro said.

Another sports analyst, Oluwatoyin Olafusi, attributed the sack of Keshi to Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the competition billed for Gabon.

“I predicted this before the sack of Keshi; we warned then but they did not listen. The NFF’s honeymoon with inexperienced Oliseh did not do us any good at all,’’ Olafusi said.

Michael Akintunde, a football fan, said that the services of a foreign coach would worsen the situation.
“The economic situation now does not warrant the services of a foreign coach; I think that Samson Siasia has what it takes to pilot the Super Eagles to winning ways,’’ he said.

Another fan, Wole Omosule, urged coaches and ex-internationals to hold a conference to chart a new course for football generally, in the country.

He added that employing the services of a foreign coach would not solve any problems, adding that local coaches could solve the generational problems. (NAN)
sunnewsonline.com/overhaul-nff-now-fans-insist/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:05pm On Apr 02, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Oliseh and Enyeama complained about Kaduna. Amaju Pinnick was not smart enough to listen to the professionals. He sent our foreign pros there.

Iwobi and Carl Ikeme had stomach upsets there.

Yet Pinnick insists we must continue there.

They interfere with the line ups, players called, the coaching crew the coach must use.

If these men know too much, they should pull their Kaftans and Agbalanze, were track suits and Coach the team. I am tired of their careless mismanagement.

Wow, so the food in Uyo is also safer than that of Kaduna? careless comment bro...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:09pm On Apr 02, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Wow, so the food in Uyo is also safer than that of Kaduna? careless comment bro...

I believe the weather contributed to the reactions. Not just the food.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:12pm On Apr 02, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Extremely hot weather makes us sweat and frizzes some people's hair, but a new study reports for the first time that it can also worsen some gastrointestinal (GI) problems.
During a heat wave, there's an increased risk for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) flare-ups, and a greater risk of infectious gastroenteritis (IG), Swiss researchers found.

http://m.livescience.com/38842-extreme-heat-may-aggravate-gastrointestinal-problems.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 2:29am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AFCON 2017 ticket: We lost it in Dar Es Salam, not Alexandria –NFF
[/size]

By George Aluo

DOWNcast! That is the word to use in describing the mood in Nigeria’s camp after last Tuesday’s loss to the Pharaohs of Egypt in the battle of Alex­andria.

The 1-0 victory the Egyp­tians secured at home shattered the dream of Nigeria staging a return to the “Africa’s World Cup” after failing to qualify for the 2015 edition hosted by Equatorial Guinea.

In spite of the defeat, top offi­cials of NFF and even Egyptian fans were full of praise for the Eagles, insisting that they did put up a good fight in the double header against Egypt.

NFF officials while taking stock of the AFCON 2017 qualification laid the blame of Eagles’ failure to land in Gabon on the first game of the series against the Taifa Stars of
Tanzania in Dar Es Salam, which Nigeria failed to win under runaway coach, Sunday Oliseh.

Tanzania in Dar Es Salam,
Chairman of the soccer federation’s technical com­mittee, Chris Green, told Saturday Sunsports that Eagles got it wrong by not beating Tanzania in Dar Es Salam.

“If we had won the match in Tanzania, we wouldn’t have been in this mess. The clash against Egypt became virtually a do or die affair because we didn’t win where we were supposed to win.

Unfor­tunately, Sunday Oliseh went to Dar Es Salam with a team that was not strong, by calling up players on sentiment.

That gave Egypt the advantage, which they capitalized on to take the group’s sole ticket. Again, the last minute withdrawal of Chad had not helped matters,” Green said.

The Rivers state born soccer buff was full of praise for interim manager, Samson Siasia and his boys for putting up a good fight against Egypt.

Green said the Eagles he saw in the two matches against Egypt showed a lot of promise.

“We may have lost to Egypt, but we have seen a team with a lot of promise. A team that played with determination and com­mitment. A team of young and talented players that we can move on with, as we begin the Russia 2018 World Cup qualification campaign.”

Green said what hap­pened in the AFCON qualifiers is a big lesson, which the NFF would guard against when the crucial group stage of the World Cup qualifiers get underway later this year.

“We have learnt our lessons with this experi­ence. We are going to do everything possible to get it right in the World Cup qualifiers.

We have started repairing all that went wrong technically with the Eagles,” he said.

He stressed that the NFF gave erstwhile coach Oliseh all the support he needed to get Nigeria’s campaign off to a fine start.

“We did give Oliseh all the support he needed to start off on a good note. Our travel plans to away matches have been excellent. We make the players and the coaches very comfortable before every game and nobody interfered with the list of players he (Oliseh) wanted to use before he decided to take a walk and abandon the team.”

It would be noted that the NFF had resolved to go for a foreign manager ahead of the World Cup qualifiers.

President of NFF, Amaju Pinnick said in Alexandria that there is no going back on that since he just didn’t want to see the Eagles qualifying for the 2018 soccer mundial, but going there to make impact.

“We are going to fight with everything to pick a World Cup ticket, which is the biggest stage in international football. But beyond qualification, our aspiration is to go there and make the kind of im­pact the world has been ex­pecting us to make, given what we have achieved at the youth level. For us to be able to do that, we must have a sound foreign tech­nical adviser that can bring the best out of our team.

This is why we are hiring a foreign coach. We are going to look for money by all means to pay him. And the truth is that we have made a break through in that direction. When we hire the foreign coach, we will be able to pay him, courtesy of the support of our corporate partners,” Amaju said.

The NFF president while apologizing to Nigerians assured the fans that the Eagles would land in Russia.

“Our failure to qualify for AFCON was not what we bargained for. We know how passionate Nigerians are about the game. We are deeply sorry for missing AFCON back to back, we will make amend with the World Cup by the special grace of God,” he said.
sunnewsonline.com/afcon-2017-ticket-we-lost-it-in-dar-es-salam-not-alexandria-nff/
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 2:34am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Rising Star Umar Aminu Ready For Fenerbahce Test
[/size]

Super Eagles midfielder Umar Aminu is hoping Osmanlıspor would get at least a draw when they trade tackles with Fenerbahçe S.K. in the Turkish Super Lig on Sunday evening.

Aminu has let bygones be bygones vis-a-vis Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations following their 1-0 loss to Egypt and quickly hopped on a plane toAnkara immediately after the contest in Alexandria.

“I returned to Turkey immediately after the game and I have been training withOsmanlısporsince Wednesday, same day I got to Turkey, ” said Umar Aminu to
allnigeriasoccer.com.

“As a matter of principle, I don’t give predictions before games. I will only say no team would want to lose except to win but a draw wouldn’t be a bad one either(against Fenerbahce).”

In the first round of the league, the former Flying Eagles star went the distance at the Osmanlı Stadı as Osmanlıspor suffered a 1-0 loss to the Yellow Canaries.

Aminu, 21, has notched 6 goals (4 assists) from 21 games in the top-flight this season.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel
allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18516
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 2:36am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AC Milan Loanee Oduamadi Makes Competitive Debut For HJK Helsinki
[/size]

Nnamdi Oduamadi made his official debut for HJK Helsinki in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Mariehamn in the Finnish Veikkausliiga

Former AC Milan wing-back Taye Taiwo and new signing Vincent Onovo made the starting line-up of the Club alongside Oduamadi, who was later substituted in the last minute of the encounter at the Sonera Stadium.

In the closing minutes, the winger came face to face with goalkeeper Viitala, only for his effort to hit the crossbar.

The AC Milan loanee will sport the number 90 jersey for the next seven months that he will remain on the books of HJK.

Oduamadi only participated in unofficial games for AC Milan prior to his transfer to the capital side, with a move to Şanlıurfaspor at the start of this season failing to materialize.
Igho Kingsley
allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18523
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:03am On Apr 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Extremely hot weather makes us sweat and frizzes some people's hair, but a new study reports for the first time that it can also worsen some gastrointestinal (GI) problems.
During a heat wave, there's an increased risk for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) flare-ups, and a greater risk of infectious gastroenteritis (IG), Swiss researchers found.

http://m.livescience.com/38842-extreme-heat-may-aggravate-gastrointestinal-problems.html

What heat wave? Look clubs go to hot countries all the time. If heat is so bad why did Bayern to Qatar for their break? Weather is a lame excuse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abraham221: 10:08am On Apr 03, 2016
For ur authentic,original all new season 2015/2016 clubs and countries jerseys with customizing for male,female and kids,both in longsleeve and shortsleeve,also available,footballs,football boots,training shorts and shirts,beabs,complete sets of jerseys with branding for local clubs and all other sports equipment,all @ gud and affordable prices From "SOCCER FASHION" + Customizing & free delivery (order take 2-3 days)Add us on bbm:5C069EA2 or whatsapp: 09056874702

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 11:45am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Zamalek
Zamalek players mock Nigeria's Yusuf after AFCON ouster
[/size]

Nigeria's Moruf Yusuf with the Egyptian Cup

Egyptian players are now having the last laugh on Zamalek’s Nigeria-born midfielder Moruf Yusuf after their country sent the Super Eagles packing from AFCON 2017.

The Zamalek players who featured against Nigeria in the two AFCON qualifiers in Kaduna and Alexandria were left back Hamada Tolba, right back Omar Gaber and the goalkeeper Ahmed Shennawi.

"My team mates at Zamalek who played for Egypt against Nigeria have been teasing me that they beat my country. It has not been funny," Yusuf revealed to AfricanFootball.com

The Nigerian midfielder had warned the Eagles of the danger posed by the home-based players in the Pharaohs ahead of the two qualifiers which ended 1-1 and 1-0 in favour of Egypt.

He told AfricanFootball.com the Eagles disappointed him as he was confident Nigeria will fly past them to feature at Gabon 2017.

"I was very disappointed the Eagles failed to beat Egypt to qualify for the Nations Cup,” he lamented.

“I was really confident we could beat them, but it was not to be.”
Last season, Yusuf won the league and cup double in Egypt with Zamalek.
By Olusola Alao
africanfootball.com/news/623652/Zamalek-players-mock-Nigerias-Yusuf-after-AFCON-ouster
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 11:53am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
10 things about Fanendo Adi: Getting to know the big Portland Timbers striker
[/size]

Editor's Note

Portland Timbers striker Fanendo Adiis now an MLS Cup champion and a member of the Nigerian national team. Here's 10 Things you need to know about him before tonight's game.

Original Text
Fanendo Adiis one of the big reasons why the Portland Timbers have advanced to the Western Conference Championship of the Audi 2015 MLS Cup Playoffs. The big Nigerian striker came on particularly strong as the season wore on, scoring four goals to lead the team to three straight wins to end the regular season.

And with six goals in his final five games, Adi set the Timbers MLS record for goals in a season, with 16 in his first full campaign with the club.

And in just a season and a half with Portland after his midsummer acquisition last year from FC Copenhagen, Adi has 25 goals and seven assists in 57 appearances (41 starts). He’s known for scoring goals in the Rose City, not to mention his stature at 6-foot-4, 185-pounds, but here are 10 things you may not have known about Adi.

Humble beginnings: Adi grew up poor in a small central Nigerian village in Benue State – of course, always playing soccer. He told Timbers.com early this season that he would play for hours, sometimes only wearing bedroom slippers, and oftentimes skipping out on household chores much to the chagrin of his mother.

“A lot of trouble. A lot of trouble, actually,” Adi told MLSsoccer.com with a laugh.

Something in the yam: When he’s not playing soccer, Adi said he likes playing basketball, tennis or just hanging out with friends. But when it comes to special hobbies, eating was at the top of the list.

And his wife’s Egusi soup with pounded yam, a traditional Nigerian soup, is, apparently, to die for.

“The soup is made with some special ingredients from Africa, and it’s really, really good. I’d say it what makes me so strong,” he said with a big laugh.

International hopes: Adi said recently that he hopes the Nigerian national takes note of his recent strong play and calls him in, noting the recent reunion of Sounders forward Obafemi Martins with the Super Eagles. Adi told Nigerian outletDaily Trustafter scoring in the Timbers’ 2-0 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps in the second leg of the conference semifinals that he’s “waiting for my chance.”

“This is my 17th goal for Portland Timbers this season and I am hoping that [head coach Sunday] Oliseh will consider me worthy of a chance in the Super Eagles. … If Obafemi Martins can get a chance to play for Eagles again, I also stand a very good chance. I am waiting for my chance, but I cannot invite myself.”

Not always the biggest: Adi is one of the more formidable target forwards in the league, drawing much praise from head coach Caleb Porter for his physical play against bruising center backs such as the Vancouver Whitecaps’ Kendall Wastonand Seattle Sounders’ Chad Marshall. But it wasn’t always that way.

“I was a little tiny guy when I’d go to play,” Adi said. “My friends would say you are so small so you stay in the posts, so I was a goalie when I was growing up. They never let me play because they said I was too small.”

Adi said becoming a forward was all about will power.
“It’s just putting your mind to what you want to do.”

Well traveled: Adi is only 25 years old, but he’s already played for five different clubs. He started his career, after trying out and being accepted to the well-regarded Brazilian Soccer School in Lagos, with Trencin in 2009. In 2011, he spent time in Ukraine with Metalurh Donetsk, a brief loan stint with Dynamo Kyiv and then Tavriya Simferopol. He rejoined Trencin for the 2012-13 season before coming to Copenhagen in 2013.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 11:56am On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
10 things about Fanendo Adi: Getting to know the big Portland Timbers striker
[/size]

Closest friends: A lot has been made about the tight-knit nature of the Timbers’ locker room this year. Porter and veterans such as Nat Borchers said it played a big role in making it through the season’s tougher times. Adi said he has a close relationship with all of his teammates, although said he hangs out mostly with two second-year players, defender Taylor Peayand midfielder George Fochive.

Deuces wild: Adi endeared himself to Timbers fans very early in his time with the team, leading to the common phrase that he “only scores in twos.” In his first start with the team, May 28 against Chivas USA, Adi scored two goals, and then bagged another brace in his next start, June 7 against Real Salt Lake. In all, Adi has nine two-goal games.

Postseason experience: Adi is no stranger to the big stage. He featured in three group matches with FC Copenhagen in the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League tournament, earning a start in a 1-1 draw against Italian club Juventus and making substitute appearances against Spanish club Real Madrid and Turkish club Galatasaray. He also played in the 2013-14 Europa League tournament with Slovakian side AS Trencin, tallying a brace in a 2-1 win against Swedish side IFK Göteborg in the deciding second-leg match of the second qualifying round.

Gunning for all-time record books:Adi set an MLS Timbers single season record with 16 goals, but he’s also putting his mark on the club’s all-time record book. His 17 goals across all competitions is one shy of the single-season total set by Peter With (1975), Fadi Afash (2002), McKinley Tennyson (2002) and Byron Alverez (2004). He still has a chance to set the record the most goals across all competitions in a two-season span. He currently has 28 goals, two shy of Alverez’s total from the 2003 and ’04 seasons.

Getting an education: Adi’s mother and grandmother were never thrilled with the idea of him pursuing his dream to be a professional soccer player, preferring him to focus on his education first. And he hasn’t forgotten those wishes, having been enrolled in college classes since joining the Timbers.
www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/04/03/10-things-about-fanendo-adi-getting-know-big-portland-timbers-striker
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:04pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kenneth Omeruo to Join Crystal Palace?
[/size]
Super Eagles Kenneth Omeruo could be on his way back to the Premier League at the end of the season as he has been linked with Crystal Palace.

Omeruo is currently on loan from Chelsea at Turkish club Kasimpasa, who have an option to buy him outrightly by season’s end, but will not because they cannot come up with the cash to do so.

The central defender still has two years left on his contract at Chelsea hence he could return to Stamford Bridge or move to another club on loan or on a permanent basis.

“Crystal Palace is one of the clubs connected to Omeruo,” revealed a top source.
“Hopefully, they will stay up and they could then buy him outrightly or take him on loan, according to AfricanFootball.com.

London club Palace is seven points clear of the relegation pack after losing four of their last five matches.

Omeruo has already gone on loan at Dutch club ADO Den Haag as well as Middlesbrough in the English Championship.
www.thebreakingtimes.com/kenneth-omeruo-to-join-crystal-palace/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:10pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Eagles to play 2 friendly matches in June
[/size]
As part of its rebuilding efforts ahead of the Russia 2018 World Cup qualifying matches, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), has picked London to host two grade A friendly matches in June being arranged for the Super Eagles.

NFF president, Amaju Pinnick disclosed recently that the federation would utilize the two FIFA windows in June to bring the Super Eagles players together ahead of the qualifying matches for the World Cup.

Thre NFF has opened discussions with its London-based agent, who is expected to confirm the two top European countries for the friendly matches in the coming weeks. It was gathered that Pinnick is regularly in contact with the agent who has given him hopes of securing two top grade A countries for the friendly matches.

An NFF source told our correspondent that the agent is expected to conclude discussions with the countriesin two weekstime, adding that the federation will make public the countries as soon as the deal was concluded.

“One obvious thing is that the two friendly matches are slated for London in June. We have opened discussions with some top European countries for the two FIFA window dates and I am convinced that they are responding positively.

“The choice of London for the friendly matches is because it is centrally located and the federation will not find it difficult to assemble the players. Our plan is to begin early with our preparations for the World Cup qualifiers because there is no more excuse to give to Nigerians.

“We will take off with full arrangements immediately after the consultative meeting with the minister of Youth and Sportson Tuesday. I believe that the AFCON loss has opened our eyes to appreciate the quality of players that can make it happen for the Super Eagles. We are ready to keep them busy with whoever is going to manage the team now for the purpose of the World Cup ticket”. The NFF official assured.
www.thebreakingtimes.com/super-eagles-to-play-2-friendly-matches-in-june/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Arsene Wenger: 'Alex Iwobi a loss for England'
[/size]

By Barney Corkhill

Arsenalmanager Arsene Wengerhas claimed that Englandwill regret losing out on Alex Iwobito Nigeriafollowing the youngster's performance against Watford this afternoon.

The 19-year-old made it two goals in as many Premier League starts and also created the opener for Alexis Sanchezto help the Gunners to a comprehensive 4-0 victoryat the Emirates Stadium.

Iwobi was eligible to play for England until last week, but opted instead to represent Nigeriain an African Nations Cup qualifier against Egypt.

"Is he a loss for England? Yes. We have values in our club that are maybe not rated always, but one of them is to give a chance to young people and educate them," Wenger told reporters.

"Every year we bring players out and not many can say that. I'm happy Alex is one of them. He arrived here at the age of seven or eight. He's completely integrated in the way we want to play football. He's worked with us since the start of the season and it shows because when he came in he was used to the way we want to play.

"[Confidence is] one of his qualities. He's also very mobile and is a midfielder with creativity but is also a finisher. The quality of his receptions is very good because he gets into good spaces."

Arsenal's victory over Watford saw them close the gap on leaders Leicester City to eight points, with the Foxes not in action until Sunday.
www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/arsenal/news/wenger-iwobi-a-loss-for-england_269780.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Iroha: Siasia Can Guide Super Eagles To 2018 World Cup
[/size]

In an exclusive interview with Comple tesportsnigeria.com's SAB OSUJI, Former Nigeria left-back, Ben Iroha appraises the Super Eagles under Samson Siasia, and concludes that the stopgap coach will succeed in leading the team to 2018 World Cup.

The onetime Vitesse of Holland defender and 1994 Nations Cup winner, insists Sunday Oliseh resigned at the wrong time as Super Eagles coach. Iroha also takes a swipe at NFF’s pronouncement to shut local coaches out of senior national team job. Recalling Stephen Keshi’s achievements as Super Eagles coach. Iroha advises that Samson Siasia should be given the job on permanent basis, noting that with full support, he can qualify Nigeria for the 2018 World Cup. Excerpts…

Coach Ben you are welcome back to Nigeria after spending some time in theUnited States of America

Thank you my brother.
Did you watch Super Eagles match with the Pharaohs of Egypt on Tuesday nightin Alexandria, Egypt?

Yes, I did. I was lucky to have arrived a bit earlier before the kick off time, so I watched the game.
What can you make out of the Eagles' performance on the night?

I must be very honest with you, the Eagles were very unlucky to lose the game. I believe they played well even though there was no real bite from the strikers, hence they could not score. But overall, their play was okay and if result had come our way, it would have been very nice.

Now the reality of it is that we didn't win and we are not going to the 2017 Nations Cup finals in Gabon.

That’s very sad. Nigeria will not be participating in the 2017 Nations Cup. It’s so painful because it will be the second time in a row that the Super Eagles missed the championship. After winning the Cup in 2013 when Keshi led the squad, we failed to qualify for the 2015 edition to defend out trophy. And now we are not going to be part of the next championship in Gabon, I must say it is very painful.

So what really went wrong? Why this sudden twist in fate and fortunes for the Super Eagles?
I don't know where we fell short.

For sometime now, I've not been fully monitoring the team and their games because of my travels.

I can't place a finger as to where we started this decline. But of course, if we had won in Kaduna during the first leg, things could have been better because we would have needed just a draw in the return leg match in Egypt. But even with a defeat in Egypt as it turned out on Tuesday, a win in Kaduna would still have somehow kept us in contention.

But like I said, I don't know how the team started and went this far behind, five points behind Egypt, so bad and painful, I must say. It's not good for us. This is the second consecutive time we'll be missing the championship and will just have to be watching others playing. Not making the Nations Cup finals for the second consecutive time is not good for a country like Nigeria.

Who are we to blame in all of this? Is it the NFF that had dispute with coach Sunday Oliseh which made Oliseh to resign? Could it be Oliseh himself that perhaps chose the wrong time to quit or can we hold transit coach Samson Siasia accountable? Tell us, who among the trio got Nigeria ioto this mess?

Well, I don't know the real reason why (Sunday) Oliseh quit. It's only himself and NFF that know what went wrong between them.

Perhaps there is something between them that they have not told the Nigerian public. However, truth be told, I would say he quit at the wrong time, very, very wrong time. He was building a team. I watched their game against Indomitable Lions of Cameroon which the Eagles won 3-0 in Germany, it was an excellent game.

That game was after they lost to Congo, they came back strongly to defeat Cameroon 3-0 and I said, yes, the real Eagles are back. This is the Super Eagles we want and have been clamoring for.

I believed he was building something good but before we knew it, he quit just before preparations towards two crucial games against Egypt. This affected the momentum towards the whole thing, even the players were affected too. This is part of the problem, no doubt. It's central to reason we didn't qualify.
Read more here............
www.completesportsnigeria.com/42192-2/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Enyeama Shortlisted For Foe Award
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
OSC Lille goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama has been shortlisted for the Marc-Vivien Foe prize for the best African player in the French Ligue 1 this season, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The award was created by RFI and now presented jointly with France 24 to reward one of 110 African players who plays in France.

The 33-year-old Nigerian shot-stopper who has kept 12 clean sheets this season is the only goalkeeper on the shortlist, along with two defenders, five midfielders and three forwards.

Enyeama will be up against Serge Aurier, Abdul Majeed Waris, Moustapha Bayal Sall, Floyd Ayite, Ryad Boudebouz and Sofiane Boufal to win the award for a second time after emerging winner in 2014.

Other nominees for the award are Rachid Ghezzal, Cheikh Noye, Cheick Diabate and Cameroon striker Benjamain Moukandjo.

This season, Enyeama has impressed between the sticks for Lille and has made 28 appearances for his team conceding 21 goals.www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-shortlisted-foe-award/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 1:05pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ozil Hails Amazing Iwobi
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
Arsenal midfielder, Meizut Ozil has showered encomium on Nigeria youngster, Alex Iwobi following his superlative showing for the club in their 4-0 win against Watford at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Iwobi scored in the 38 minute, to make it two goals in his last two games for the Gunners.

The German star also tipped the Arsenal Academy product to be one of football's key stars in future.

"What he is doing at age of 19 is amazing, he does everything as at when due," the former Real Madrid player told reporters after the game.

"He certainly has a bright future ahead of him."
The 19- year old who is the nephew of former Nigeria captain Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha has made seven appearances for Arsenal in his debut season in the English top flight.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/ozil-hails-amazing-iwobi/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by justiz5(m): 1:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Hull City Coach, Bruce Hails Terrific Aluko
[/size]

Sone Aluko scored his third goal of the season for Hull City who thumped Osaze Odemwingie's Bristol City 4-0 at the Kingston Stadium on Saturday.

Happy Bruce, while appraising the performance of his team, recognized the contribution Nigeria international, Aluko, whose heroics match confounded Bristol City defence throughout the game.

“We all know that Sone was terrific for six months when he first arrived here before having a horrible achilles problem that effectively kept him out for 12 months,” Bruce told Hull City website.

“He was then trying to play catch-up in the Premier League and he found it a bit of a struggle. But we all know the ability he has got and when he’s good, like he was in this one, he makes the team play. He was terrific.”
www.completesportsnigeria.com/hull-city-coach-bruce-hails-terrific-aluko/
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16040) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 123jamessmith, semid4lyfe(m), Philosopher1979, Eligreat247, humility33(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.