Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:48 PM

Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team (9184 Views)

Break Down Of 4-bedroom Flat Costing #2,300,000 @ibadan / Decorative Fence Ideas, Please Help With Suggestions! / Basic Things To Know About A One-story Duplex Design, Costing And Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 10:01am On Mar 30, 2016
The HarneyProject team is poised to bring cheap affordable housing for the Nigerian Middle class and lower class while enlightening our clients on the construction process to ease the client-contractor relationship.
A fence is also part of your structure and usually encloses your building. Personally I feel traditional sancrete block fence reduces the aesthetic of your building by preventing passerbys from appreciating the full beauty of your building but due to the prevalent security situation of Nigeria it has become a compulsory part of your structure, some home owners go the extra mile by inculcating cctv cameras, electric wires, armed security guards patrolling the perimeter just to have the feeling of being safe.
We are using a Nairalanders fence project has a case study...

Project Locatoin : Awka,Anambara State

Client : ************
Plot size: 50 x 100

Project Duration: 14days
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 10:37am On Mar 30, 2016
Fence Design
For Every Project the most important and critical stage is the design where important decisions are made. Decisions like the type of fence to constructed, The size of sancrete blocks,The type of bond and The type of foundation. For an effective design.
Site visitation is usually necessary where visual analysis of the land can be carried out and in the absence of a survey drawing, the site measurement can be taken.

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by bolseas(f): 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
Harney Project? Are you involved in power project?
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 11:36pm On Mar 30, 2016
bolseas:
Harney Project? Are you involved in power project?
Our Electrical Engineering section has done quite a number of elecritrification projects for the federal Govt, plus substation construction and installation
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by bolseas(f): 9:40am On Mar 31, 2016
@podosci...,

Small world! I believe I know you. You also know me....

You guys have been delivering quality jobs in the power sector and deliver on schedule too.

Kudos

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 2:20pm On Mar 31, 2016
For the foundation We decided to use a 225 x 500mm reinforced concrete beam instead of the traditional strip foundation. We decided to use the RC beam due to its high resistant to differential settlement which usually occurs over a long period of time, there by eliminating the occurrence of cracks on the fence.
-We used 2Y12 Top and 2Y12 bottom, with y8 links spaced at 300mm
-A 2ft deep foundation was selected
-Due to the sloppy nature of part off the site, A foundation step of 225mm was prescribed
Sancrete Block 9 inches hollow sancrete Block was prescribed for the block work

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 8:50am On Apr 02, 2016
Fence Costing
The three cardinal pillars of Civil engineering are
-Structural Stability: Your structure must be structuraly sound
-Economy: It must be financially feasible to build
-Aesthetics: It should aligning towards being aesthetically pleasing but not neglecting structural stability and Economy
At Harneyprojects we emphasize a lot on the financial feasibility of a structure so has to make our middle and low income earners have the the satisfaction of owning a home and also reduce the construction time......
I would breakdown the costing into
Foundation
Superstructure
Copping
I would make it has understandable has possible so you can use the knowledge acquired to cost your own fence before proceeding to acquire the services of a contractor , thereby bridging the gap between clients and contractors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by PeoplesArmy: 1:57pm On Apr 03, 2016
Okay na....I am following this lecture.
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 9:58pm On Apr 04, 2016
FOUNDATION

EXCAVATION
The excavation of the site is billed per meter along the perimeter of the site. The perimeter of the fence is estimated to be 87m ( the length of the gate was subtracted from the perimeter of the whole site to arrive at this figure)
The labourers charge between 500-600 naira per meter depending on location. For Awka they charge 600naira
The Total cost of the excavation = 500 x 87
= 52,200 naira
CONCREATE WORK
Concrete is a building material made form the mixture cement, fine aggregate (sand), course aggregate ( gravel) in a mixing medium (water). The various constituent are mixed in a specified ratio. 1 (cement );2 ( sand) ;4 (Gravel) is the mix ratio for this job
The volume of the concrete is estimated by multiplying the length of our RC beam(Perimeter of the fence) X the Depth of the beam X the breath of the beam
Volume of concrete = 87 x 0.225 x 0.5
=9.79m3
The value obtained has to be increased by 25% to cater for concrete shrinkage and wastage during casting
Actual volume of concrete = 1.25 x 9.79
=12.24m3
Cement
The volume of cement required to mix 12.24m3 of concrete is obtained from the specified ratio 1;2;4
Volume of cement = 12.24 (volume of concrete) x 1 ( ratio of cement in the mixture) / 7 ( total ratio of the constituent concrete materials)
= 12.24 x 1/7
= 1.74 m3
The volume of cement we just obtained has to be converted into a unit you can use to purchase cement from your local supplier( They supplier in 50kg bags of cement)
There is a mathematical relationship between density, volume and mass
where Density = mass/ volume
And the density of cement has been obtained through laboratory experiment to be 1506kg/m3
therefore Mass = Density x Volume
= 1506 x 1.74
= 2620kg
A bag of cement is 50kg
Total number of bags required = 2620/50
=53 bags of cement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 12:47am On Apr 08, 2016
REINFORCEMENT
Concrete is strong in comprension but weak in tension, to cather for the lapses in our concretes tensile strength we have to introduce reinforcement bars.. We have two types 1 High yield with a Tensile strength of 460N/mm2
2 Mild steel with a tensile stregnth of 250N/mm2
We have specified 4Y12 high yield for our main bars and Y8 for our links in our beam design....
To estimate the total mumber of reinforcements to be purchased-
MAIN BAR
Total perimeter of the fence = 87m
Total length of one Y12/Y8 reinforcement = 12m
Total number of Y12 = 87*4/12
= 29 number of Y12 reinforcement
Y12 Currently sells in the market for 1100 naira
LINKS
Refereing back to our reinforcement detail posted under the design stage
We are using 25mm cover( cover is the distance between the reinforcement and the outer face of the concrete it helps to prevent the reinforcement from fire, chemical attack and moisture)
The leghth of the link = 2( 225-25+25) + 2( 500-25+25)
= 1250mm
We have decided to space the links at 300mm, meaning if we divide the total perimeter of the beam by 300 we would arrive at the total number of 1250mm links.
Number of links = 87/0.3
=290 number of 1.25mm links
Total number of full length links to be purchaed ( they are produced 12m in length) =( 290 x 1.25)/ 12
=31 number of y8 reinfrocement

Y8 cost 950 naira in the market...

2 Likes

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 1:00am On Apr 08, 2016
SUPERSTRUCTURE
This consist of the sreucture( sancrete block wall) above the foundation...
9 inches block as already been selected for the fence blockwork.
The fence would be braced with an interval of every 3m
Two number of 9inch blocks laying perpendicular to the the block wall would be used for the brace thereby providing adequate strenght( The brace is required to break the span of the wall and prevent the fence from structural failure)
With a this Information in mind, we can now estimate the total number of blocks for your fence

SANCRETE BLOCK ESTIMATION
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Mayor78: 4:16am On Apr 08, 2016
Nice breakdown here Podosci. Well done mutum

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by agarawu23(m): 5:36am On Apr 08, 2016
Nice one podosci

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by talk2riel: 5:42am On Apr 08, 2016
Great analysis, but your measurements unit is not consistent ( metric/ imperial)
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 6:01am On Apr 08, 2016
Mayor78:
Nice breakdown here Podosci. Well done mutum
Thank you
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 7:40am On Apr 08, 2016
Sorry for that, i am trying to explain it in a way you can relate with the masons and laboures on site..... Like for example you can go and tell you local supplier that you need a 225mm (9inch) sancrete block, many would not understand what you are saying.
Most of our labourers can only understand digging in ft explaining it in meters would only lead to confussion and errors ....
But i would from now ensforth put the equivalent metric beside its imperial cousin
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Onuokwu: 9:16am On Apr 08, 2016
podosci:
Sorry for that, i am trying to explain it in a way you can relate with the masons and laboures on site..... Like for example you can go and tell you local supplier that you need a 225mm (9inch) sancrete block, many would not understand what you are saying.
Most of our labourers can only understand digging in ft explaining it in meters would only lead to confussion and errors ....
But i would from now ensforth put the equivalent metric beside its imperial cousin

Thanks for that. As you are giving us the tutorial, can you also give us live examples. There were pictures at the beginning of the thread which i thought was where you were going to stream pictures from. Keep it up sha. I am learning a lot.
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 9:23am On Apr 08, 2016
I broke the discussion into three, design, costing and construction........We are still at the costing stage... Once we get to constructio you would see enough pictures
I am presently in a remote village in Enugu, i have to climb ontop of the fence sometimes to get good network....
One step at a time....
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 9:47pm On Apr 10, 2016
SANCRETE BLOCK ESTIMATION

FENCE WALL IN TO IN
Length of brace = width of 2 number of 9inch block
= 450mm
Number of brace = 87( perimeter of fence) / 3(lenght of wall in to in of brace)
= 87/3
= 29 number of brace

From practical experince 10 number of 9inch(225mm) or 6 inch(150mm) sancerete blocks would make up 1m2 of blockwall ( 9inch and 6inch blocks both have the same height (225mm)and length (450mm) , the difference is in the width.
Mathematically,
Area of one block = 0.225 x 0.45
=0.1m2
Number of blocks in 1m2 = 1/0.1
= 10 number of blocks
Now, we would obtain the area of the fence using its height and its length ( perimeter - legnth of brace )
Height = 11coarse ( 11 x 0.225)
= 2.5m
Length = 87 - ( 29 x 0.45)
= 74m
Area of fence = 74 x 2.5
= 185m2
We have already established 10 blocks in 1m2 of wall
Therefore
Number of blocks = 185 x 10
= 1850
10% increase for wastage and cutting ( Masons cut some blocks to achieve the desired bond, The most common bond is Stretcher bond and thats the bond to be used for this project)
Total number of blocks = 1850 x 1.1
= 2035 number of blocks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 7:02am On Apr 11, 2016
BRACE ESTIMATION

We have 29number of bracs
We have agreed to use 2 number of 9inch block has brace, placed perpendicularly to the block wall....
We have 11 coarse of block
Each course would has 2 blocks for brace
number of blocks for one brace = 2 x 11
=22 blocks
Total number of blocks required for 29 brace =
=29 x 22
= 638 Blocks

Total number of Blocks
required for the fence = number of blocks for blockwall +number of blocks for brace
= 2035+ 638
= 2673
NOTE: Motar joint was not included in my estimation of height because eavh motor joint is 10mm which would be infinitesimal when compared to the whole
We would require 2673 blocks to fence the site based on the already stated parameters
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by obynocute(m): 9:11am On Apr 11, 2016
op, tnk u vry much for dis analysis... bt m little bit confused on hw u calculate ur percentage, lik dat of 25% nd 10%, u kip addn 1., in front, pls clarify me.. tnx again...
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 2:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
obynocute:
op, tnk u vry much for dis analysis... bt m little bit confused on hw u calculate ur percentage, lik dat of 25% nd 10%, u kip addn 1., in front, pls clarify me.. tnx again...
Mathematically, if i am to increase the value of Y by 25% of its own value
First i would find 25% of Y =( 25/100) x Y
= 0.25Y
Now i would add this value (0.25Y) to the original value of Y to obtain its increase of 25%
= 0.25Y + Y
= (0.25+1)Y
= 1.25Y
Let 0.25 = X, representing any percetage increase you want, it can 10%,20%, 100%
Let Y represent the variable you intend to increase.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by obynocute(m): 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2016
podosci:

Mathematically, if i am to increase the value of Y by 25% of its own value
First i would find 25% of Y =( 25/100) x Y
= 0.25Y
Now i would add this value (0.25Y) to the original value of Y to obtain its increase of 25%
= 0.25Y + Y
= (0.25+1)Y
= 1.25Y
Let 0.25 = X, representing any percetage increase you want, it can 10%,20%, 100%
Let Y represent the variable you intend to increase.

tnk u vry much for d xplaination.. I remove cap 4 u.. re u on wassap?
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 3:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
obynocute:
tnk u vry much for d xplaination.. I remove cap 4 u.. re u on wassap?
Thank you sir, i am on whatsapp
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 3:36pm On Apr 11, 2016
Since podosci is away, handling a job in a remote location where network is very poor, I will help him upload pictures from the fence construction

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 6:00pm On Apr 11, 2016
abdulwastecx:
Since podosci is away, handling a job in a remote location where network is very poor, I will help him upload pictures from the fence construction

thanks but what is meant by Y8 & Y12 in design of Rcc.... ? I could see podosci usinq it. Permit me cos we avnt gotten to this stage in my school. maybe next semester
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by abdulwastecx(m): 6:45pm On Apr 11, 2016
Miscellaneous:

thanks but what is meant by Y8 & Y12 in design of Rcc.... ? I could see podosci usinq it. Permit me cos we avnt gotten to this stage in my school. maybe next semester

Y8 means high yield bar of 8mm diameter
Y10 means high yield bar of 10mm diameter

1 Like

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by podosci(m): 6:50pm On Apr 11, 2016
Miscellaneous:

Let me start from the first principle
Concrete is weak in tension but very stong in comprehension, concrete comprensional strength is 10times its tension strength...
Due to this weakness in tension, We have to introduce Reinfrocements in the form of steel to make it Reinforced Concrete
Steel is good in both comprension and tension but we use it to assist the concrete in its tensional deficiency
We have two common types of Reinfocement
-Mild Steel with a tensional strength of 250N/mm2

-High yield with a tensional strength of 460N/mm2

We denote Mild steel as R bar while High yield as Y bar, This steel are produced in different diameters ranging from 4 , 8,10,12,16,25,32 mm but you can custom order by contacting the steel company to produce a specific diameter of bar for you...
The different diameters is based on your Reinforced concerete design, what ever diameter required to carry the estimated load is what you would provide for..
Therefore, High yield bar of 8mm is denoted as Y8 while mild steel of 8mm diameter is denoted as R8

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by Miscellaneous(m): 7:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
podosci:

Let me start from the first principle
Concrete is weak in tension but very stong in comprehension, concrete comprensional strength is 10times its tension strength...
Due to this weakness in tension, We have to introduce Reinfrocements in the form of steel to make it Reinforced Concrete
Steel is good in both comprension and tension but we use it to assist the concrete in its tensional deficiency
We have two common types of Reinfocement
-Mild Steel with a tensional strength of 250N/mm2

-High yield with a tensional strength of 460N/mm2

We denote Mild steel as R bar while High yield as Y bar, This steel are produced in different diameters ranging from 4 , 8,10,12,16,25,32 mm but you can custom order by contacting the steel company to produce a specific diameter of bar for you...
The different diameters is based on your Reinforced concerete design, what ever diameter required to carry the estimated load is what you would provide for..
Therefore, High yield bar of 8mm is denoted as Y8 while mild steel of 8mm diameter is denoted as R8

baba I throway yansh for u Joor......

u too much jare!!!!
Re: Fence Design, Costing And Constuction By The Harneyprojects Team by jossy26: 8:04pm On Apr 11, 2016
These guys are too theoretical, you need to be lecturing bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Time Will Come When A Cheap Land Of #2.5m C of O Will Be Selling 4 25m #video / GENESIS COURT BADORE AJAH SELLING PLOTS!!! / Start Building With Just 30% Initial Deposit. Ask Me Where And How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.