Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? (1356 Views)

I Want To Hire A Beginner Who Is Willing To Learn New Skills / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Should A Beginner Learn 2 Programming Languages At Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by Euwah: 5:36pm On Jul 27, 2009
Can sm1 help me out.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by blacksta(m): 6:54pm On Jul 27, 2009
Well done and all the best.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by celesto: 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2009
Decide on which language you want to learn, understand the language paradigm (OOP or functunal) then learn the language syntax.

Before recently, OOP (Java, C#) was the mainstream.But due to the advent of multi-core processors, functional languages, which can take better advantage of the multi-core, are returning. But instead of throwing away OOP completely, hybrid languages (Scala, F#)which have both functional and OOP capabilities are being created.The good thing is that they are created on the platform of the OOP environments (JVM, .NET) so you can take advantage of the APIs of the OOPs.

My advice: Learn Scala on the Java platform. Reason: I've looked-up Scala syntax and F#(Microsoft .NET platform) syntax and I discovered that Scala is simpler and much closer to common imperative OOP languages (such as Java and C#) plus I have a bias towards the Java Platform  wink (dunno y!). I use NetBeans IDE with Scala plug-in.

Download netbeans from http://www.netbeans.org, Scala (and the NetBeans plug-in) from http://www.scala-lang.org. You'll need the JVM too. Download it from http://www.java.sun.com. But if you won't use anything other than Microsoft tools, download F# from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/fsharp/default.aspx. It's going to be released officially with Visual Studio 2010.

Lift (http://liftweb.net/) is a platform for creating web-based Scala applications. So you can go straight to the web after simply learning Scala but you'll need to know Maven (not a programming language) too.

For now, get the book "Programming in Scala" by Scala creator Martin Odersky, one of Twitter creators - Lex Spoon and Bill Venners. I googled and downloaded the e-book. It's interesting and straight to the point.

You may need to know that Twitter is being re-implemented using Scala from the original Ruby on Rails implementation. So I really think Scala is going to hit it big!
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by Omovieme: 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2009
Bros how do i get this Pyton Software for pratice?
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by lekside44(m): 9:49pm On Aug 01, 2009
if you need books on programming, i can help you out. mail me at lekside44@yahoo.co.uk. thanks.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by boyombo: 1:34am On Aug 02, 2009
Python is an excellent language to learn as a beginner. Its clear, simple syntax and large and vibrant user community are a major plus
Also it is an open-source language with lots of free tools that give you a load of functionality free! I moved from the .Net platform to python a couple of years ago, and I believe it has been one of my smartest moves career-wise.
google makes very good use of python, as well as NASA!
you can download the python interpreter from http://www.python.org.
We are also about to start a python user group in lagos. so if you stay there watch my blog at http://boyombo..com and you can follow me on twitter as @boyombo.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 9:29am On Aug 03, 2009
Does anybody know where I can buy c++ how to program 6th edition, at a reasonable price in lagos?
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 7:59am On Aug 06, 2009
Come on guys not even 1 reply, do you all download your books online.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by lekside44(m): 8:49am On Aug 06, 2009
malone5923:

Does anybody know where I can buy c++ how to program 6th edition, at a reasonable price in lagos?
if you are interested in getting those books, i can help you out. you can mail me at lekside44@yahooo.co.uk. be expecting your mail.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 9:12am On Aug 07, 2009
@lekside. I need to know the price tag for the book
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by henryskywalker2003(m): 4:43pm On Aug 08, 2009
If u need ebooks try this site its great. Www.Netbks.com. I'll post more when I get home, cos I kept a list on my hard disk.

To get the how to program in c ++. I just bought a copy in yaba. I'll also post d bookshop address to in my next post. I got mine 2500 last month. 6th edition.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2009
2500 that really cheap, thanks for the info please post the address. One more question did the book come with a cd
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 9:50pm On Aug 09, 2009
If u need ebooks try this site its great. Www.Netbks.com. I'll post more when I get home, cos I kept a list on my hard disk.

To get the how to program in c ++. I just bought a copy in yaba. I'll also post d bookshop address to in my next post. I got mine 2500 last month. 6th edition.
WAITING,
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 7:18pm On Aug 10, 2009
@henry. Still waiting
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by malone5923(m): 9:26am On Aug 12, 2009
@henry. Whats up with you men. Does anybody else know where I can get the c++ book.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by skisdon: 9:20pm On Aug 22, 2009
wat's up all, this is new,do you know that 80% of an individuals life style can be known through his or her interaction on a phone,you can now know about anybody you want,like what your children are discussing,if your partner is cheating on you,how much you can trust anybody,this is just by listening to their conversation when they are on phone,any were there are with your own phone and their will never know somebody is listening even wen you speak,their phone rings, yours also rings they pick and yours pick.i gat the code if interested mail me on skis_don@yahoo.com or call 07025897883.
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by Remedon: 11:27am On Aug 23, 2009
E.Uwah, please just click on the link below and quickly join this Practical JavaScript Training and address any of your questions to me. You can also send your questions or comments to r.inocent@gmail.com

After you have successfully followed this training to the end, you will see other Programming Langauges as easy as ABCD.GoodLuck!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-309149.0.html
Re: How Do I Get Good Materials To Learn Programming As A Beginner? by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 23, 2009
Mehn this is serious. There are gazzillions of places you can get ebooks from the web and print them out at cheap rates. But if you want to buy books, i remember buying ebooks at yaba in lagos, in those dayz that internet is as expensive as ever.
But the problem with true programming does not lie in books or degree per se, more of practical experience. You need someone to guide you first into selecting the right books for your level, and how to move forward. Better to get good advice from someone in the field.

(1) (Reply)

Is An Automated Sms Sender Possible? / How To Create Html Sitemap Page On Your Bloggers Blog / A Test For Python Guys. What Will This Code Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.